Unknown Seed First Time Grow

Ajax

The Plan

Grow these unknown (probably crappy) seeds so that when i make a lot of mistakes, i can do it better on my next White Widow Continuous Grow.

White Widow First Time Grow T5 DWC Closet Grow Hydroponics Indoor

Set Up

Seeds: Pre-germination, then into rockwool. 42watt CFL in a propagation dome with heating mat. Botanicare Liquid Karma nutrient solution.

Grow: 4' T5 fixture with 4 bulbs. DWC using General Hydroponics FloraNova and a small water and air pump for nutrient circulation.

Up To Date

I am on day 15 currently and these pictures will bring you up to date.

Day 1
Day_117.JPG

Germination on a clean plate using paper towels. I chose aluminum foil to block light and contain moisture. Should have transplanted into rockwool here.

Day 2
Day_2_1.JPG

All 5 seeds have germinated successfully. Some better then others. And are ordered 1-5 (best to worst). Transplanted into rockwool too late.

Day_2_21.JPG

Transplanted into a covered container for sprouting. A heating pad is used and the lamp is turned off. Needs a thermometer and humidity gage. Also, should have soaked the cubes in ph water for 24 hours.

Day 3

Day_315.JPG

The rockwool cubes and graded 1-5, best to worst determined from the germinated seeds. After just 1 day, cube 1 maintains the lead and the light is now run 24/7.

Day 4

Day_412.JPG

Cubes 3 and 4 have sprouted and all the cubes are watered because they were dry. I assume it is because the light has been on for 24 hours. I tried to only water the lower ¼ of the cubes like the internet sais but the rockwool soaked water all the way through. Don't over water. This may also be the reason for the humidity problem. Opened vents. With the light, heating pad combo, it may have been too hot.

Day 5

Day_57.JPG

The tips of plant number 1 are turning brown. Possible problems: too hot? Too humid? Too much light? (42wat CFL at 12"). Turned on the light timer. Fully opened vent ports.
Still no sign from 2 and 5.

Day 6

Day_6_1.JPG

Plant number 1 has turned even more brown. I think the cubes were getting too hot so, I moved them off the center panel to allow air to flow beneath them. Vents turned to half open. Also, I watered the bottom ¼ of the cubes. This time, it did not soak up to the top of the cube. This is probably because I did not pre-soak the cubes in water for 24 hours. Plants 2 and 5 probably didn't sprout because of my lack of care with the cubes.

Day 13

Day_137.JPG

After all the problems I have been having, I've decided to take a break and be more casual with the grow so I took a few days off. I have lost track of days and I think I'm on Day 13 now, but no matter. Plant 1 is looking pretty deformed likely due to the stress I've been giving her in reguards to the light, watering and nutrient schedule.

Day 14

Day_14_13.JPG

Plant 3 and 4 are doing great. I'm not sure which one is my favorite yet. Plant 3 is shorter which is better for space and has bigger leaves. Plant 4 has grown slightly faster. My nutrients are very potent. Probably 4x what it recommends. But it is made for sprouts such as these and only has 0.1-0.1-0.5 so I don't think it's that big of a problem, but we will see. NEED ACCURATE MEASURING DEVICE.

Day 15

Day_15_11.JPG

86.2 degrees F 31% humidity 7/9 2:00PM
Catastrophe struck overnight when the T5 light fell onto the plants. There is some discoloration on the plants probably from the heat from the lights. So I moved the operation into a new closet with more room and got better anchors for the light. Humidity is still low.

Day_15_2.JPG

7/9 2:00PM
Temperature is 12 degrees warmer under the lights then it is in the room. I have decided to invest in an air conditioning unit to regulate the space since I don't have air conditioning in my living space. I tried using a fan but the little guys aren't strong enough yet. Humidity is still low so I will try the spray bottle trick.

Thanks guys. I decided to put this on the internet because of the horrible job I've been doing and I could use the help. So I appreciate that you guys think, "although limping... I'm on the right path."

Day 16

Day_16_1.JPG

96.8 degrees 28% Humidity 7/9 11:30PM
Not much physical change. I opened the reservoir and poured some nutrient water onto the cubes just in case the roots haven't made it to the water yet. This may be too 'easy' for the plants but I plan on making these guys mothers if the sex is right so I don't think it matters. I hope the growth today was all in the roots.

Day_16_2.JPG

Not sure what this discoloration means? The tips of the leaves are slightly curling as well. I will be taking a trip to Walmart tomorrow to get an air conditioning unit and a humidifier to fix the temperature and humidity problem. Small room air conditioner and 4gal humidifier will set me back $150 but will be a perfect size when the grow moves from the closet to the room.

Day_16_3.JPG

This poor guy is number 1. It's still in the dome and hasn't showed much change, but man is it ugly. I'm keeping it around because I am curious what will happen with it AND I have the space and light for it already so it doesn't cost anything to keep around.

shopping list: ml measuring device, another thermometer/humidity gauge, portable room AC unit, Humidifier.

BROKEN ARROW!!!

Day 17

So, It's been a few days with relatively no problems and now i need some serious help. Number 3 is in trouble and i think Number 4 is following suit.

Number 3

Day_17_1.JPG
Day_17_2.JPG

Number 3 had some discoloration yesterday with leaves turning up. this morning the color is 10x worse and the leaves are tilting down.

Number 4

Day_17_3.JPG

Number 4 looks like Number 3 did yesterday

PPM reads 1730. 2 days ago it was 1600. Do i have the wrong ppm tester? Is that way too high? i used exactly what the bottle said. should i not be using 100% nutrients?

Temp: 89 degrees. it's been around this the entire grow.

Humidity: 28%. It's been around this the entire grow.

BROKEN ARROW!!!

Day 17

So, It's been a few days with relatively no problems and now i need some serious help. Number 3 is in trouble and i think Number 4 is following suit.

Number 3

Day_17_1.JPG
Day_17_2.JPG

Number 3 had some discoloration yesterday with leaves turning up. this morning the color is 10x worse and the leaves are tilting down.

Number 4

Day_17_3.JPG

Number 4 looks like Number 3 did yesterday

PPM reads 1730. 2 days ago it was 1600. Do i have the wrong ppm tester? Is that way too high? i used exactly what the bottle said. should i not be using 100% nutrients?

Temp: 89 degrees. it's been around this the entire grow.

Humidity: 28%. It's been around this the entire grow.

Your nute level is WAY too high! for young ones like that, no more than 1000, period! LESS IS MORE!

I'd change out the reservoir ASAP.

Thank you soooooo much and I appreciate the help. I'm down to 900ppm and I flushed the rockwool with plain water just in case. I hope that works. I've had enough casualties already.

I don't mean to be a pest but i have looked up this question before and couldn't find a steady answer. What should my ppm be throughout the grow? veg? flower?

not familiar with hydro, so dont wanna give you a phony answer... but soil (just for frame of reference) its never over 1000 till flowering.
But i wouldnt have any worries man, my current grow got a nute burn when they were like that young (shows they need weaker strength formula or none) i didnt fix it for a few days maybe 4, and mine were barely slowed down. You caught it early which is awesome, I've learned; which may be wrong; that discoloration of leaves is usually contributed to nutrients either too much or not enough.

Day 18

Thanks for all the help guys. Looks like I'm in the clear.

Day_18_1.JPG

4:30 7/11
87 Degrees 30% Humidity
The leaves on number 3 have grown a significant ammount. The discoloration has stopped spreading and the tips don't curl so much anymore But the leaves are still falling down. I think we are looking good.

Day_18_2.JPG

Number 4 is doing really well. The growth in the last few days has been in the development of more leaves as apposed to bigger leaves like number 3.

Day_18_3.JPG

87 Degrees 30% Humidity
I turned a fan on to decrease the temperature. It's at 87 now and it's the hottest time of the day for the plants. It dropped 7 degrees when I turned the fan on. It is causing the plants to lean pretty bad in the wind but I think this will promote stem growth which will be best for mothers anyways so I think it's justified. 715 PPM

I've been slacking on my shopping list. I haven't had time to run down and pick it up yet.

Nice looking setup ya got there Ajax Ima keep an eye on ya.. we're using very similar methods of dwc my res is just a few more gals and holds 2 more plants:), come check my journal out for a peek into your future or to track your current progress Im using the t12 shoplights with mixed spectrums for flowering feeding with Fox farm nutes and some hygrozyme..Btw if your ppm are over 600 its too much for a 2 week old plant hey dont even have 5 sets of leaves less is always better..use like a 4th of the dosage and if they arent touching the water yet they must be hand water from the top until they do..trust me those seedling are thirsty but not 1200ppm type thirsty..:goodluck:

@FirstGrowGod: I wish i read your post before i went to work. But, now I know not to put a fan directly on the poor babies. And by the way, your plants look gorgeous all the way through the grow and I'm grateful your helping me out.

@thspot: I haven't decided if I'm gonna do any LST on these ones yet. I'm 90% sure i will be making them into mothers. So, with that in mind, do you think LST will be beneficial?

@Che Bubblez: I'll be referencing my grow to yours. i appreciate it. And i took your advice about the below 600ppm mark so hopefully that helps things out. My closet is only temporary. I have a construction background so I'll be designing a room for the grow later. But for now i got these guys in the gray reservoir to make things easy and they'll go in the bigger ones later on, i still need to tape/insulate them up.

P101000531.JPG

Day 19

Day_19_1.JPG

7:00AM 7/12
87 Degrees 28% Humidity
I did have the fan directly on the plants and it took it's toll. There is noticeable plant growth but they don't look too happy. The roots do not hit the reservoir and I hand watered them again today with straight water. PPM reads 910. That is up 200ppm from yesterday. Shouldn't it be going down slowly? Am I just not getting a good read with my tester? I diluted the nutrients again and now it's down to 550.

Day_19_2.JPG

Number 3 has dropped even more. What is weird to me is Number 3 is dropping so much but Number 4 is fine. Anyways, I think we need another day before we can diagnose something else.

Day_19_3.JPG

The fan hitting number 4 caused her to cringe a little bit on that side. I fixed the fan so it indirectly blows on them. I'm glad I learned this lesson.

Thank you for the praise ajax :Namaste::cheer:
I'm still on my first grow myself and just only a week into experiencing flowering, but i have done considerable amounts of research on just about anything i need to do/ not do.

P.S. I'd double check with someone who grows hydro but i try to not let the temp get up to high 80's, and deff not 90's. But could be diff with hydro.

Treat it like a computer, troubleshoot the shit out of it. Every time there's something wrong, it's time to flush. As your last chance of hope, I would recommend giving that thing a thorough clean / flush. Go to your grocery store, pharmacy, whatever and get some h2o2. The hydrogen peroxide that comes in that little brown bottle, it's like 89 cents. Pick up a new sponge as well. Let the sponge soak up the h2o2 and scrub the shit out of your system. Then add new, fresh water with 5ml of h2o2 per/gal. Then let it do it's thing, chill with the hand watering, let it find it's water for a couple days. If you look and the net pots are staying moist then it's okay. Too much love can kill the thing.

And yes, firstgrow is right NEVER in the 90s... 75 is ideal. Get some fans facing away from your room to suck the air out, and get one fan blowing right over the top of the plants making them shiver. It's not too late to take all necessary precautions and save your baby.

good luck

@crrehak: Thanks for the advice. I'll do a clean and restart tomorrow when i have the time. After the clean, that should solve all my grow room condition problems for now. **knock on wood**

Day 20

Day_20_1.JPG

7:50am 7/13
90 Degrees 29% Humidity 590ppm
I purchased a small air conditioner and humidifier today to fix the temperature and humidity problems and have installed them in the closet. Temps today were taken before the changes. Can someone please explain to me why the ppm is going up?

Day_20_21.JPG

There is a noticeable difference every day with number 3. The leaves are still drooping but hopefully with the temperature and humidity fix, it will remedy this problem.

Day_20_31.JPG

Oh, number 4. It isn't growing as fast, or as big, but man it is pretty. Also, the stem grew like a madman the day after I had the fan blowing on it. Coincidence? I don't think so... I've noticed so far that these things are very manipulative. They react quickly and precisely. It's pretty neat.

I had a GREAT day today! I checked in my plants this morning and they have had their first good day in a long time now.

If you haven't been watching my White Widow grow, please check it out. They have had a good day as well.

White Widow First Time Grow T5 DWC Closet Grow Hydroponics Indoor

Day 21

Day_21_11.JPG

8:00 AM 7/14
77 Degrees 35% Humidity 590ppm
What a GREAT day! I'm so excited. My air conditioner wasn't working yesterday so the plants were at 90 degrees all night. But, I got it working this morning and we shouldn't have any more problems.

Day_21_2.JPG

Number 3 grew so much! Comparing pictures from yesterday, it probably grew 2 inches in diameter.

Day_21_3.JPG

Number 4 has grown a lot as well. It is really filling out. I am very pleased.

Day_21_4.JPG

The roots have now made it to the nutrient solution. It is a landmark day.

Day_7_4.JPG

Got the air conditioner working. What perfect conditions! I will need to buy a new humidifier because the one I got yesterday does not work at all.

Back
Top Bottom