First Grow Ever - Hempy Style

tsboss1

Hello all,

I am new to growing and finally got all my equipment set up in an upstairs area thats about 12x12. I purchased some clones by someone I thought was an honest caregiver which turned out not to be the case. He told me he had some very healthy clones pest free but when I got them home a few of them has had mites on them which seems to be gone after a shot of azamax and spray downs daily. Note to self: never buy clones without inspecting them first

I decided to start this journal to help other growers interested in this style of growing as well as to get help from more experienced growers that have grown successfully using this method. So now lets get onto the setup.

What strain is it? 5 Lemon Haze, 1 Afgoo (Atleast this is what he told me..)
Is it in Veg or Flower stage? Veg
If in Veg... For how long? Ive had them for about a week 1/2
Indoor or outdoor? Indoor
Soil or Hydro? Hempy (Straight Perlite with OC+ For Nutes)
Size of light? 1000 watt MH setup
Is it aircooled? yes
Temp of Room/cab? Right now it is 80F
RH of Room/cab? Around 40%
PH of media or res? Didnt test my PH
Any Pests ? Had a few spider mites but they seem to be gone
How often are you watering? When the pot is light.

Pics coming soon

Re: First Grow Ever...Hempy Style

I decided to turn a walk in closet I had upstairs into my clone room. I first sprayed the walls down, then I mopped and put up mylar before I added any clones in the room. I believe it is very important to make sure your room is clean to prevent future pest problems.

When I first got my clones I put them in 16 oz solo cops with a hole about 1 inch from the bottom. I created the hole with an ink pen. I then filled the cup up to the hole with perlite and then sprinkled half the clones with 1 tbsp of OC+ and then filled the cup up to about 3" from the top and sprinkled 1 more tbsp of OC+.

The other half I just sprinkled 1.5 Tbsp of OC+ on the tops and none above the hole.

Note to other Newbies out there like me: DO NOT FILL THE SOLO CUP ALL THE WAY TO THE TOP WITH PERLITE. The reason being is because you want to build a water table like an ebb and flow system when you pour the water in the cups and its hard to do that when the perlite is all the way to the top...You will for sure spill perlite out of the cup and make a mess. Also make sure you rinse the perlite before you use it!!

After that I gave the plants a good spray with water using a spray bottle and placed them under a 4ft 4 T5

IMAG01685.jpg

^^ I took the pic of the plants right before I transplanted them to 3 gallon buckets. As you can see some were way to big for the cup which was obvious by the roots spinning around the cup. Its always best to transplant before that happensAnyways I currently have 6 plants under the 1000 watt light. (5 Lemon Haze, 1 Afgoo). It looks like some of the older growth on the haze plants are yellow or light green. Does anyone know what the problem could be?
IMAG0185.jpg

IMAG01876.jpg

Sorry for the crappy pics, I was using a cell phone

Temps in Michigan are going to be 90 plus all week and Its currently 93 in my grow room...I have an A/C going and its still hot. My hood is air Cooled. Can someone tell me how to get my temps down??

Also, my plants aren't looking good as shown in the pic above I believe because I haven't been PH'ing my water. I just checked the ph of my tap water and it was at 7.1!! I PHed it down to 5.8-6.0 and I am hoping that this will help my plants look better.. If there is something I should give them to help recover faster please let me know..

Hi TS,

Nice to see another MI grower...I happened upon your post because I'm researching hempy grows...my next adventure, I think.

I'm a new grower also, so I can't speak from much experience, but the thread below has great info about nutes...good explanation on needs, deficiencies, how to fix...all kinds of good info, and pics to go along with it. It looks like you might have a pH problem, and what they call lock-out

Cannabis Plant and Pest Problem Solver - Pictorial

Hope this helps, will sub this to follow your grow

:peace:

Hey thanks for the reply, I was just thinking I should quit while I was ahead since I didnt get any replies but yes I ph'ed my water and they seem to be doing alot better. I took off the dead leafs and I am seeing new growth on each plant.

I will be taking pics soon.

Good, more pics...always a good thing.

Glad to hear that ph'ing helped :cheer:

Here are the new pics as of last night. Again my cam phone sucks, and I cannot find my usb cable to upload pics from my digital cam. I don't know if you can really tell from these pics but the new growth on each plant is dark green. They are looking alot better then before. Temps are in the high 80s in my room and humidity is between 35-40% I think Lemon Haze 4 is my worst plant. I don't know if the growth is stunted or what..Again, if someone can help me please do..

Afgoo 1

Afgoo_today.jpg

Lemon Haze 2

LH2.jpg

Lemon Haze 3

lh3_today.jpg

Lemon Haze 4

lh4_today.jpg

Lemon Haze 5

Lh5_today.jpg

Lemon Haze 6

lh6new.jpg

Hi TS,

Did you get a chance to look at the problems thread? I don't want to presume to know more than I do...I'm only a 2 time grower...but it kinda looks like you might have a nute/pH issue. The pics in this thread kinda look like your plants. Look at the Nitrogen pics, and the Magnesium pics, for the haze, and maybe the K, phosphorus for the Afgoo.

This is what I'm afraid of...because perilite has no nutrients whatsoever, it's going to be hard to get the mix right.

I'm reading DocBud and 420fied's journals...they both did wonderfully successful Hempy grows. Maybe go read theirs too.

Also Astonr420 is also growing an Afgoo, but his is outside. He may have something good to say too.

Sorry I'm not more helpful. But I'll be watching...

:bong:

Hi TS,

Did you get a chance to look at the problems thread? I don't want to presume to know more than I do...I'm only a 2 time grower...but it kinda looks like you might have a nute/pH issue. The pics in this thread kinda look like your plants. Look at the Nitrogen pics, and the Magnesium pics, for the haze, and maybe the K, phosphorus for the Afgoo.

This is what I'm afraid of...because perilite has no nutrients whatsoever, it's going to be hard to get the mix right.

I'm reading DocBud and 420fied's journals...they both did wonderfully successful Hempy grows. Maybe go read theirs too.

Also Astonr420 is also growing an Afgoo, but his is outside. He may have something good to say too.

Sorry I'm not more helpful. But I'll be watching...

:bong:

Yes I checked out the problem link you sent me and realized that my PH range was out of whack which is why they have these def....I figured if I used ph'ed water then that would allow the plant to absorb all the nutrients and so far all the new growth is a dark green. Its the older leaves that seem to still be green/yellow. Im starting to think I may need to try some calmag or epson salt and see if that helps any..

I have only been using PHed water for 2 days so I am hoping within the next week the results will get better.

TS,

I'll be watching, good luck...:popcorn:

I had similar problems on my first grow, OC+ with 100% perlite. Definitely need to hit them with cal/mag right from the start, I also believe you need to use a liquid veg nute at least once or twice before the OC+ really starts to kick in.

Do you have any Epsoms salt? Very good source of mag, can mix some up with your regular watering or mix into a foliar. Also, make sure you are watering frequently until those roots hit the res, your are their only means of food right now.

Once the roots hit the res they should explode with growth and the new growth should look lush and green.

Don't worry about the old, ragged looking growth..that will never recover and it doesn't really matter anyway.

:peacetwo:

I had similar problems on my first grow, OC+ with 100% perlite. Definitely need to hit them with cal/mag right from the start, I also believe you need to use a liquid veg nute at least once or twice before the OC+ really starts to kick in.

Do you have any Epsoms salt? Very good source of mag, can mix some up with your regular watering or mix into a foliar. Also, make sure you are watering frequently until those roots hit the res, your are their only means of food right now.

Once the roots hit the res they should explode with growth and the new growth should look lush and green.

Don't worry about the old, ragged looking growth..that will never recover and it doesn't really matter anyway.

:peacetwo:

Thank you for your response!

what kind of liquid nute would you recommend?

Also, I do not have epsoms salt but I recently purchased cal mag. I have been using it for a few days now, but only on the plants that I felt needed it. Do you think I should use it on all of them?

I have been watering once a day, usually towards the end of the day when the pot feels light.

Thank you for your response!

what kind of liquid nute would you recommend?

Also, I do not have epsoms salt but I recently purchased cal mag. I have been using it for a few days now, but only on the plants that I felt needed it. Do you think I should use it on all of them?

I have been watering once a day, usually towards the end of the day when the pot feels light.

Are you using tap water or R/O water? If you are using R/O then you need to add the cal/mag every time you water. Somewhere between 2.5/5ml per gal. Some strains utilize more, some less. I bumped my cal/mag use up to 7.5ml/g when growing OG's via Hydro.

Epsoms is easy to get, you can find it at any drug store. It's not super necessary since you have cal/mag..but I like to keep some on me incase I need to add some mag or sulfur w/o cal.

Any veg nute that is hydro compatible (most are). I like botanicare personally, but there are many other brands out there.

Are you using tap water or R/O water? If you are using R/O then you need to add the cal/mag every time you water. Somewhere between 2.5/5ml per gal. Some strains utilize more, some less. I bumped my cal/mag use up to 7.5ml/g when growing OG's via Hydro.

Epsoms is easy to get, you can find it at any drug store. It's not super necessary since you have cal/mag..but I like to keep some on me incase I need to add some mag or sulfur w/o cal.

Any veg nute that is hydro compatible (most are). I like botanicare personally, but there are many other brands out there.

I am using Tap water PH'ed at 5.8-6.0 and I have been adding 2 tblesp of calmag to the plants that look like they needed it. Do you think I should use them on all of the plants though just to be safe or should I be ok?

I already have the botanicare cal-mag...I see they have something called liquid karma..Maybe I will give it a shot and see what happens.:)

I am using Tap water PH'ed at 5.8-6.0 and I have been adding 2 tblesp of calmag to the plants that look like they needed it. Do you think I should use them on all of the plants though just to be safe or should I be ok?

I already have the botanicare cal-mag...I see they have something called liquid karma..Maybe I will give it a shot and see what happens.:)

Do you know the specs on your tap water? That might be the problem. Mine is crap so I am forced to use R/O. You can go to your Counties water district page, should have all the info you need. The most important is your total alkalinity (TA)..check it out and report back.

You have been adding 2 Tablespoons of calmag or Teaspoons? Either way that is too much, especially since you are using tap. Tap already has those micro's in it. 5ml (1Teaspoon) is the recommended use per gallon of R/O water, with tap it would be even less.

Liquid Karma is a good supplement, but it will not provide the Macro nutrients your plant needs. If you want to stick with Botanicare I'd grab some Pure Blend Pro (PBP) Grow, that is their standard veg formula.

If you are using OC+ you will not need to use the PBP often, maybe once or twice in the very beginning..you may not need it at all for this grow since you are already a bit along.

Do you know the specs on your tap water? That might be the problem. Mine is crap so I am forced to use R/O. You can go to your Counties water district page, should have all the info you need. The most important is your total alkalinity (TA)..check it out and report back.

You have been adding 2 Tablespoons of calmag or Teaspoons? Either way that is too much, especially since you are using tap. Tap already has those micro's in it. 5ml (1Teaspoon) is the recommended use per gallon of R/O water, with tap it would be even less.

Liquid Karma is a good supplement, but it will not provide the Macro nutrients your plant needs. If you want to stick with Botanicare I'd grab some Pure Blend Pro (PBP) Grow, that is their standard veg formula.

If you are using OC+ you will not need to use the PBP often, maybe once or twice in the very beginning..you may not need it at all for this grow since you are already a bit along.

Yea I am getting ready to flip them over to 12/12 anyway. All of them are about 1ft tall so is there something I can give them for flowering?

Also yes I meant teaspoon sorry. I actually purchased a ph up/down set from ebay that included a dropper so I started using that and have been adding 6ml of cal-mag exactly. That shouldnt be too much, as I got them in 3 gallon buckets but I could be wrong..

As far as water quality goes, I found a guy in a brewer forum that posted this report in april of 2010 from my area:

Aluminum 0.089 mg/l
Iron 0.039 mg/l
Copper 0.023 mg/l
Magnesium 7.05 mg/l
Calcium 23.4 mg/l
Sodium 7.85 mg/l
Potassium 1.2 mg/l
Maganese 0.002 mg/l
Zinc 0.1 mg/l
Silica 23.2 mg/l
Sulfate 37.2 mg/l
Chloride 22.2 mg/l
Phosphorus 0.26 mg/l
Total Hardness 136 mg/l as CaCo
Total Alkalinity 90 mg/l as CaCo
Bi-Carbonate Alkalinity 90 mg/l as CaCo
Carbonate Alkalinity 0 mg/l as CaCo
PermanentHardness 46 mg/l as CaCo
PH 7.89
Residual Alkalinity 69

I cannot find an updated report online anywhere but I found two other brewers that posted reports from different months of 2010 and the numbers are about the same

Ok guys I just put my plants on 12/12 and I see that I have light leaks coming through the window on the opposite side of my grow area through the air conditioner vents....the plants are completely dark when I look at them so do you think I should be ok?

Back
Top Bottom