Xlr8's "Flo N Gro" Hydro Multiple Strains 2011

Hi everyone.:welcome: - Thought I'd give a new journal a shot.

First a little about me: I only grow for my own med needs, so my goal is to produce medicine for myself of the highest quality possible, and always seek ways to learn and improve upon what i do. Likewise, I'm passionate about helping others, and I welcome any and all questions and feedback in this journal. :)

A little about the hydro system: I'm using a "bastardized" version of the Titan controls "Flo N Gro" system. Instead of buying the whole system, I bought the controller, a 6 site upgrade, and purchased/fabricated the rest of the pieces myself (pumps, reservoirs, fittings, etc.) Basically, it's similar to the CAP Ebb N Gro, but with 4 gallon square pots with square net pots inside of them. I've only done DWC before, so this will be a new challenge for me - but I'm excited about it. I've tested it already and it worked great during tests. :yahoo:

Flo N Gro by Titan Controls (I'm only using 4 buckets on this grow):
floNgro.gif

I'll be trying out the 3-part nutrients from sponsor Blue Planet Nutrients (prize for MOTM). :thanks: Blue Planet!!! :thumb: :morenutes:

Blue Planet Nutrients (3 part formula):
blueplanet.jpg

I'm using a tent for the grow, which is contained in it's own grow room.
Grow Lab GL80L -- about 3' x 5':
gl80l.jpg

For lighting, once seedlings have matured to veg stage and beyond, I'll be running (2) 400w lights (MH for vegging, HPS for flowering). About 53 watts per sq ft, which should be pretty adequate. They are Hydrofarm hoods, and I am using digital ballasts to drive them: (1) Galaxy, and (1) Lumatek (which is adjustable down to 250w which might be nice for early veg...)

Currently plants are young seedlings, and

I put 6 seedlings in Rapid Rooters (6 for 6 woohoo!), and so far they are all doing pretty well. THey just came out of humidity dome, and are now in a hydro bubble tub under a t5 veg light until they are big enough to put into the Flo N Gro. Just wasn't comfortable throwing the little seedlings in the new system until they had a little more root mass.
They are:

• (2)"Lucy"/Mazar - Skunk (Barneys Farm)
  • (2) Skywalker (Dutch Passion)
  • (1) Lavender (Soma seeds)
  • (1) Magic Bud (Paradise Seeds)

I might germinate a Sativa like a "Jack the Ripper" or "Super Lemon Haze" to throw in there, too.

In the end, I'm planning on keeping the best 4 of the 6 seeds I sprouted, and I'm hoping that will be (2) Lucy, (1) Skywalker, (1) Lavender. But, I'd be happy with any combination of the most promising 4...

Pictures of the babies tomorrow I hope...

Here is some info on the seeds I'm germinating right now:

"Lucy" (Barney's Farm)

An old Skunk variety crossed with Mazar. Called (EL ES DEE) by the Farm crew because of its powerful trippy effect. Developed from ancient genetics long established in the Farm marijuana seed bank. L*D is a hardy, disease resistant plant that responds well in all grow conditions. With just a little care and attention, the L*D strain will give the grower high yielding award winning powerful results. The flavor is intense earthy chestnut with a sweet musky smell. The L*D produces a euphoric, almost psychedelic experience. It's a super-trippy and very powerful stone, a Barney's Farm special.

• Type: Indica Dominant
  • Genetics: Skunk #1 x Mazar
  • Yield: Optimum indoor. 600 g/m2
  • Height: 50-60 cm (indoor)
  • Flowering time: up to 65 days (indoor)
  • Harvest time: Mid September (outdoor)
  • THC: 24%
  • CBD: 1.3%
Lucy_med.jpg

Skywalker (Dutch Passion):

Blueberry (1st prize HTCC 2000, 3rd prize HTCC 2001) and Mazar (2nd prize HTCC 1999, 2nd price High Life Cup 2002) are the two unbeatable Indicas in our seed collection.

Skywalker is a hybrid product of a Mazar female and a Blueberry male. The intention was to create one of the best Indicas in the world. The special Blueberry taste and aroma are combined in this hybrid with the vigor and yield of Mazar.

Blueberry characteristics such as “curling leaves”, slow initial growth, and bluish hues have disappeared in this hybrid, while taste, aroma (fruity and fresh), and the quality of the “high” are retained. Grown from clones at “Sea of Green”, these seeds will yield about 400 gr./m2 under optimum conditions.

• Indica Dominant
  • Genetics: Blueberry Male, Mazar Female
  • THC = 12%
  • Flowering period: 8 – 9 weeks
  • Harvest time outdoor: 2nd week Nov.

Skywalker_6.jpg

Lavender (Soma Seeds)

Soma #10 brings together a world of weed seeds. Strains with histories that traverse Afghanistan, Hawaii, Korea, the U.S, and Europe are all melded together in this 3-way cross.

An exotic looking strain, Soma #10 develops the darkest purple coloration you can imagine. The color is intense, with the leaves turning nearly to black at the ends, they are so deeply saturated with color.

The extra dense buds give off a sensually spicy smell akin to Afghani hash.

The high calyx to leaf ratio and the legginess of this plant make for simplified manicuring. While not as tall as the Haze strains, Soma #10 can shoot to tall heights when allowed an extended vegetation period before being placed into the flowering phase. If grown in a sea of green, Soma recommends a shortening the veg cycle in order to control the height. This strain will also do well as a multi-branched plant.

Outdoors, this variety can thrive in a most temperate zones, although arid climates known for their rich agricultural promise are of course optimal.

Soma #10 has a flavor that is similar to Afghani hash, producing a captivating high that circulates through every chakra. A terrific evening or rainy day smoke, Soma #10 will leave you feeling relaxed and mellow, possibly to the point of sleep.

• 1st place, 2005 High Times Cannabis Cup, Best Indica.
  • BREEDING - Super skunk - Big Skunk Korean - Afghani-Hawaiian
  • Indica: 80% Sativa: 20%
  • MINIMUM YIELD 12-15 grams - FLOWERING 8-9 weeks

Lavender_8.jpg

Magic Bud (Paradise Seeds)

Magic Bud is a fine blend of Indica and Sativa. This plant produces beautiful resin coated nugs in a relatively short time, approximately 56 days indoors.

Her appealing velvet looks during flowering are a pleasure for the eye, and you have to be careful that you (or your friends) do not give into the urge to cut of a branch before she is fully ripened! Your patience will be royally rewarded with very tasty aromatic buds.

It´s a pleasure to see this plant grow in your garden. Because of the somewhat bushy growth patterns, a little more space will show the full potential of this plant. The yields are medium to high and with the short flowering time and excellent quality she is the perfect choice for a successful crop.

When dried and cured the Magic smokes smooth with a pleasant floral aromatic taste. The body relaxing effect combined with a strong potent high is magical, you will feel at ease with everything you do.

• Type: Indica/ Sativa
  • Flowering: Approx 56 days indoors. Outdoors Middle of October (n.L.)
  • Yield: 400 grams per m2 indoors. Outdoors approx. 500 grams per plant
  • Environment: Indoors. Outdoors between 50º n.L. and 50º s.L.
  • Effect/Buzz: Pleasant Sativa-Indica high
  • Smell/Taste: Floral –aromatic
  • THC: 12-15%

Magic_Bud1.jpg

**I should note that I've grown Magic Bud a few times, and while I prefer trying new strains, this is still one of my all-time favorite strains, and it usually yields very well -- but because it's something I've had a lot of in the past, it might get cut depending on how things go...**

Here's the general guidelines I'm using with the Blue Planet Nutrients. I will eventually post more specifics that I've reviewed with BPN, but it's based on this info

YEEEEEEESSSSSSS!!!!!!
Front row baby!!!

This grow is going to kick some serious butt brother. Great work you've done here to start.
Cant wait to see the results of the BPN, I'm sure you'll do 'em proud! Gotta go to work but I'll be checkin in soo. Here's sending you good vibes for a great grow!!:high-five:

Great Start xlr8 ! :)

Well, there is no doubt this will be a great grow. You've laid a good foundation out for us. Now we get to see it happen. Really great that you have filled us in on all the details of what's coming. :thumb:

Hope you get your two Lucys. :yummy:

XLR8...... check out my grow..... now check out yours..... anything familiar??? lol were both using the FLO N GRO in a GL80L... thats so funny... because the GL80L is way too small for a FLO N GRO to use its full potential. but good choice doing only 4 buckets. I used 9 and its a crowd in there. a very lovely crowd. You're gonna love that system brother. Im SUBBED!! :popcorn::popcorn::cheesygrinsmiley:

Oh and since this is your first go at the ebb n grow style; a fill schedule that works for me, so it should probably work well for you, seeing as youre using the same system, is: FILL every 2.5 hours for 15 minutes, beginning right at lights on thru lights off on an 18 6 light cycle. switching to Flower, keep it the same, except fill only 4 times during the day, and once, about halfway through the night. im sure other fill and drain methods will work but if you look at my journal, you see that this is working wonders. Anyways cant wait to see this one!

YEEEEEEESSSSSSS!!!!!!
Front row baby!!!

This grow is going to kick some serious butt brother. Great work you've done here to start.
Cant wait to see the results of the BPN, I'm sure you'll do 'em proud! Gotta go to work but I'll be checkin in soo. Here's sending you good vibes for a great grow!!:high-five:

:thanks: Quix - appreciate the good vibes! Really glad you're here. :thumb:

Great Start xlr8 ! :)

Well, there is no doubt this will be a great grow. You've laid a good foundation out for us. Now we get to see it happen. Really great that you have filled us in on all the details of what's coming. :thumb:

Hope you get your two Lucys. :yummy:

Thanks OMM! I hope I get 2 good Lucys, too. I'm glad to have you here my friend! :high-five:

:thanks: Steve!

I thought of you a little bit, and our common goal of building an undercurrent system eventually. I saw a bunch of 5.3 gallon square plastic kitty litter buckets (filled with kitty litter) at the store yesterday, and all I could think was how perfect they'd be for my DIY under-current eventually. If I had a bit more money, I might have bought 210 lbs. of kitty litter yesterday... ;)

I am fairly convinced that the under-current is the ultimate hydro system. I really feel like it's very DIY friendly if you can find the right buckets, and those square kitty litter buckets seem almost perfect.

Thing is, I haven't even tried this new Flo N Gro, but I sure love that under-current like CCH20 has.

Back
Top Bottom