Shizzy's Super Soil Grow Take 1 -Like a Virgin Mix- Purple Skunk- SIS- Blueberry x JH

shizznizzle

High all! :welcome: Its me Shizzy and I am going to take you through my virgin grow and hope to learn some wonderful info, as I had for the seven months I stalked this site gaining info and learning before signing up and committing to my grow. So without further adieu, the skinny:

We have Purple Skunk, Blueberry x Jack Herer and Sweet Island Skunk..........at least that's what I am told...lol
My equipment, (and seeds), were donated by a fellow patient and friend who was unable to continue growing and I ended up with some working decent equipment. Two of the ballasts aren't working but I found a place that will fix them for $35 a piece.

I started with a 600w HPS and a 400w MH, then I got a brilliant idea, I have two of the same type of four foot reflector so I made a Frankenstein. I now have a 600w Hi Lux MH and a 600w HPS in one reflector and the plants are loving it! So I have 1200w of goodness just feeding these wonderful girls.....

Next I was given the entire FF line of nutes in gallon jugs brand new, so I am using FF for this grow, the seedling starter mix was straight FF Light Warr and the transplants were then moved into FF OF, I am using the OF as is out of the bag and the plants are digging it, so I am too.

My space is an entire room my wife so generously gave up for my medicinal purposes and for that I love her, :green_heart:. The room in total is 10' x 12' x 10' I believe with a closet that is used for the seedlings and clones, along with my 45 plant aeroponic cloner......for lighting in the babies area we have a 4' x 4 T5 HO fixture with unknown wattage, I have yet to investigate....again part of the package.

I have cordoned off a 6' x 6' x 10' area with panda film as the current veg area but plan to some time in the future divide the space intelligently into two. I have a 6" exhaust fan that was formerly a restaurant exhaust that pushes some air out the roof via a one way vent with a flapper. As I own my spread, I have no worries of smell or detection, however I do not want anyone around me knowing, people can be weird and that is best left that way. The intake is a passive, sleeping bag filtered hole in the wall formerly known as a closed window. :high-five:

Temps were a struggle in the beginning but after adding the baby gates for my dogs and opening the door to the house they are fine, currently 82° F during the day with an arid 35% RH and the evenings being around 71° F with an ~RH of 42%

Soil pH is 6.5 and there has only been one nutrient feeding as of yet, however I do add B vitamin and super-thrive to the watering as well as some Aqua-shield during germination. I have been keeping a written journal and was hesitant to create a journal until things were in full swing and boy are they! Next post will be catching everyone up on my experience so far with them and thanks for reading and I hope this is a great experience for all. :Namaste:

:peace:

Re: Shizzy's Super Soil Grow Take 1 (Like a Virgin mix) Purple Skunk, SIS, Blueberry

So the seeds are regular seeds, and were sown on August 8th. Being my first grow, I decided to plop the seeds direct in the soil....no paper towels or shot glasses tons of water or anything, I thoroughly moistened the soil, left enough water to touch the bottoms of the cups applied a humidity dome and a heating pad with towels buffering the heat. The next morning I dumped out the rest of the water that was touching the cups, the goal here was to accelerate the germination and I am damn proud at how well my experiment worked. I had a 89% germ rate on seeds that had been in a freezer god knows how long, not to mention they germed, some of them, in less than 48 hours!!! I deem that a success. Once the first plants broke ground the dome came off and the fun began. I germinated more than I needed anticipating males and some problem plants. Four have been culled due to under performance or retarded or malformed growth. A couple that had odd growth I kept because their vigor and health was outstanding and the growth normalized quickly. The germ space was kept at 90° F and an RH of 70%, which was fine because the dome bumped me to the proper %. The last few seedlings popped after 6 days so not all were super fast germinators....lol "All be bock!!!"

Today the first to pop are 27 days old and the last 21, during the first nute feeding, even though I kept the ppm quite low, two plants, (out of 24) struggled just a touch by frowning with their leaves.....no discoloration or anything but I am about 90% sure it was a touch of the burn.....no biggie new growth is super vigorous and healthy. I will start with the youngest pics get everyone up to speed and then will keep everything up to date from here on out...... Thanks for coming by!! :thanks:

Pics will be up shortly as I need to get them in the gallery first.........

Re: Shizzy's Super Soil Grow Take 1 (Like a Virgin mix) Purple Skunk, SIS, Blueberry

Here are some pics, I will caption where necessary.

Lil Cotyledons....
2012-08-13_11-38-50_474.jpg
2012-08-13_11-38-13_818.jpg
2012-08-13_11-37-52_352.jpg

2 days in..
2012-08-15_08-35-06_340.jpg

My Frankenlight and the earlier setup
2012-08-19_17-01-23_455.jpg

2012-09-05_10-38-08_446.jpg
2012-09-05_10-37-52_479.jpg
2012-09-05_10-37-36_664.jpg

About a week old I think
2012-08-20_14-30-20_843.jpg
2012-08-19_17-00-32_355.jpg
2012-08-19_20-19-42_89.jpg

Fourteenish days
2012-08-25_12-25-49_512.jpg
2012-08-25_12-26-19_826.jpg
2012-08-29_19-51-55_791.jpg
2012-08-28_16-50-40_909.jpg

From 21ish days to present (chronological best I can)
2012-08-28_16-53-13_354.jpg
2012-08-28_16-53-35_541.jpg
2012-08-31_07-11-02_958.jpg
2012-08-31_07-23-12_670.jpg
2012-08-31_07-23-12_670.jpg
2012-09-02_11-36-42_979.jpg
2012-09-06_06-55-23_609.jpg
2012-09-05_10-37-05_406.jpg
2012-09-06_07-05-47_248.jpg

:high-five:

High all! :welcome: Its me Shizzy and I am going to take you through my virgin grow and hope to learn some wonderful info, as I had for the seven months I stalked this site gaining info and learning before signing up and committing to my grow. So without further adieu, the skinny:

We have Purple Skunk, Blueberry x Jack Herer and Sweet Island Skunk..........at least that's what I am told...lol
My equipment, (and seeds), were donated by a fellow patient and friend who was unable to continue growing and I ended up with some working decent equipment. Two of the ballasts aren't working but I found a place that will fix them for $35 a piece.

I started with a 600w HPS and a 400w MH, then I got a brilliant idea, I have two of the same type of four foot reflector so I made a Frankenstein. I now have a 600w Hi Lux MH and a 600w HPS in one reflector and the plants are loving it! So I have 1200w of goodness just feeding these wonderful girls.....

Next I was given the entire FF line of nutes in gallon jugs brand new, so I am using FF for this grow, the seedling starter mix was straight FF Light Warr and the transplants were then moved into FF OF, I am using the OF as is out of the bag and the plants are digging it, so I am too.

My space is an entire room my wife so generously gave up for my medicinal purposes and for that I love her, :green_heart:. The room in total is 10' x 12' x 10' I believe with a closet that is used for the seedlings and clones, along with my 45 plant aeroponic cloner......for lighting in the babies area we have a 4' x 4 T5 HO fixture with unknown wattage, I have yet to investigate....again part of the package.

I have cordoned off a 6' x 6' x 10' area with panda film as the current veg area but plan to some time in the future divide the space intelligently into two. I have a 6" exhaust fan that was formerly a restaurant exhaust that pushes some air out the roof via a one way vent with a flapper. As I own my spread, I have no worries of smell or detection, however I do not want anyone around me knowing, people can be weird and that is best left that way. The intake is a passive, sleeping bag filtered hole in the wall formerly known as a closed window. :high-five:

Temps were a struggle in the beginning but after adding the baby gates for my dogs and opening the door to the house they are fine, currently 82° F during the day with an arid 35% RH and the evenings being around 71° F with an ~RH of 42%

Soil pH is 6.5 and there has only been one nutrient feeding as of yet, however I do add B vitamin and super-thrive to the watering as well as some Aqua-shield during germination. I have been keeping a written journal and was hesitant to create a journal until things were in full swing and boy are they! Next post will be catching everyone up on my experience so far with them and thanks for reading and I hope this is a great experience for all. :Namaste:

Oh man, that sweet island skunk is some good stuff.

Sounds like a nice room you got going on there, and great thing to get all that stuff gifted!

Just to let you know, SUPERthrive has B-vitamins in it, but adding a little shouldn't hurt.

The 'lings are looking lovely, and happy. Doing well so far, so KEEP'EM GREEN!

I'm subbed, so if you have any problems, I'll see them if you ask questions in this thread, I'll get them here.

Alright well I can not tell you guys how thankful I am to have you here, Heirloom, jandre and spring! :thanks:
I have been watching you guys for some time and am proud to have incorporated all the collective information I have received
from this kind community! Thanks for subbing.

Just an fyi to anyone who I have meant to rep but have not yet, please do not be offended, I will admit I did not really understand the reputation until recently so I ran around giving likes thinking I was giving rep....I know what a twerb! Anyways, its coming back to you soon as I remember all who have helped....obviously I will be busy for a minute.

Re: Shizzy's Super Soil Grow Take 1 -Like a Virgin Mix- Purple Skunk- SIS- Blueberry

:welcome: Greenfingers! Glad to have you aboard, lets hope I miss the iceberg.....

As it turns out my luck is not so grand....anybody know whats up? I just started noticing this today, two things....either several days late reaction to nutes?? or my light was too close, I just installed the new setup yesterday and I noticed today. Several plants have the chlorosis and the one has the wrinkly leaf thing....pics post rant. Please comment and help me figure this out thanks.
2012-09-06_21-20-14_696.jpg
2012-09-06_21-20-30_852.jpg

Re: Shizzy's Super Soil Grow Take 1 -Like a Virgin Mix- Purple Skunk- SIS- Blueberry

:welcome: Greenfingers! Glad to have you aboard, lets hope I miss the iceberg.....

As it turns out my luck is not so grand....anybody know whats up? I just started noticing this today, two things....either several days late reaction to nutes?? or my light was too close, I just installed the new setup yesterday and I noticed today. Several plants have the chlorosis and the one has the wrinkly leaf thing....pics post rant. Please comment and help me figure this out thanks.
2012-09-06_21-20-14_696.jpg
2012-09-06_21-20-30_852.jpg

Not sure if this will help. I know there is another great chart with pics somewhere on this site.

chart5.jpg

:popcorn:

Hey Shizzy!

Really nice job on you germination and getting them going. Starting your seeds directly in soil/medium is easiest on the seedlings. Other methods give us piece of mind a day or two earlier because we can see the roots start to develop, allowing us to feel relieved and excited about our success (or lack there of). Ultimately, the way you did it limits handling, exposure to light, and other potential pitfalls. I can see you've been doing the legwork and studying up. Good job and great start to the journal!
:goodjob:

On your issue... Don't panic and look to basics. Environment changes are probably your culprit. Do you keep a circulating fan in the room? I like to have a fan blowing across the area just underneath the lights, to keep heat from building at canopy level. Not too powerfully, but so hot air doesn't have a chance to build up if that makes sense (just reaching here, you may already be doing this). EDIT: looks like you have a fan...

What are the temps/RH at the canopy level? That leaf looks crispy dry to me and like its folding over on itself to protect from light intensity, heat or dryness (perhaps combo of the 3). You have some serious wattage going... Do you have enough distance beneath the reflectors? Was that second leaf close to top? We're there more like that one?

I'm with X on this one... looks like a crispy heat problem.

On the first pic, I immediately thought "Leaf Miners", but then changed my mind about that because it doesn't look like the "trail" that they leave. Are you spraying these daily? This, coupled with heat will leave marks like that.

looking good dude and tht reflector looks sick.if i had a big enough tent id be investing in one of those. lol. :thumb:

You guys are great, actually about thrice per week they get water but it does come from a garden sprayer and the only thing I changed was the light....then my sorry ass realized that my poor babies were less than a foot away from those terribly hot lights....I thought it was ok as my hands weren't burning.....but I was a mechanic or almost fifteen years before my injury, when my wife put her hand there hers got real hot....lol
Xlr8 and Jandre, canopy level RH is awfully close to my numbers as I keep my hyometer at canopy level with a probe in the middle of the pack. RH last night before lights out was @ 38% I do have a fan right at the area where I would assume heat to build. Just below the light...I went up to around 18".
Thank you spring2012!! I feel really comfy as I have all you wonderful people looking after my girls! :thanks:
Will update later today, thanks so much.

PS Xlr8 and jandre....lol apparently I have repped you guys up....they are making me spread the love....if you guys weren't so damn cool I would not have this problem!! Thanks so much guys......

Cw1588 you made it! Alright so glad to have you :welcome:
I was stoked when I thought of the dual bulb idea. Hope to keep you
entertained and informed.....I am kinda experimental!

Well, jandre and Xlr8 are on the job so I will sit back and enjoy!

Maybe its just the color balance or screen on my cell phone, but one leaf looked yellow mottled, like it went through a PH swing. But over all I agree with the crispy leaf diagnosis.

Oh man, that sweet island skunk is some good stuff.

Sounds like a nice room you got going on there, and great thing to get all that stuff gifted!

Just to let you know, SUPERthrive has B-vitamins in it, but adding a little shouldn't hurt.

The 'lings are looking lovely, and happy. Doing well so far, so KEEP'EM GREEN!

I'm subbed, so if you have any problems, I'll see them if you ask questions in this thread, I'll get them here.
No lie the Sweet Island Skunk is beautiful in sight, smell and taste.. One of my faves but the munchies from it are something serious

Back
Top Bottom