High Brix

Well, there's been a flurry of activity in my garden:

harvest, drying, curing, new soil, clean-up, etc. I've used up the last of the old soil and have had a batch of High Brix soil cooking now for about a month.

As some may know, I had ProMix HP tested and it was the first and only soil to date that "passed" the test and is fit for true High Brix gardening. This is not to say that other soils won't pass the test...only that this was the first soil that I had tested that made it.

FFOF-fail
Vermisoil-fail
SubCool Super Soio-fail
Vermifire-fail
Roots-fail

ProMix HP-passed, borderline high on Potassium.

So, I ordered everything recommended in the soil report, which really is much more than a soil report! Not only does it tell you what's in your soil, but they make recomendations on what to add to bring it up to spec, and more importantly what NOT to add if you want High Brix.

I got 83 pounds of amendment, and one pound works for a whole bale of Promix....so I've got lot's of this stuff! A bale of Promix requires a pound of amendment and 20 pounds of worm castings and then it's ready to go.

Here's one piece of really good news: I was worried that the amendment would be too chunky and take too long to break down....being rocks and all. Well, it turns out that the stuff is all powderized but then pelletized with some sort of binding agent like molasses, because when I put some of this stuff in water and stirred it up, it all dissolved into mud in ten minutes.

Get this: I put about 2 tblspn of amendment into 16oz of really bad tap water and it brought the pH down from 8.6 to 6.4. I then added a capfull of pH down.....and after about 30 seconds after stirring the pH was back to 6.4. So I added another capfull of Phosphoric acid (pH down) and after stirring for about 30 seconds the pH was still 6.4. So I added a third capfull of pH down...still 6.4.....and finally a 4th capful.....yep, 6.4.

Why did I do this?

1.)Wanted to see what the properties of the amendment are
2.)Wanted to demonstrate how utterly stupid pHing water and fertilizer is and make sure that people who do such things realize that they're imbeciles, sheep, idiots or morons. (maybe all of the above?) (applies to soil grows only! Hydro guys have a different set of rules)

Don't pH in a soil grow! You're just adding phosphorus, which will screw up everything. Don't be a stupid sheep. :cheer:

In addition, I have a new root innoculant, and new source of microbes, a new fertilizer and 3 new foliar sprays which are used in addition to Amaze, PGR and Bloomit.

I put 9 vegged clones in the new soil yesterday: 6 Cherry Pie and 3 Great White.

The new High Brix soil received the clones and then I watered with a pint of "transplant water," which was comprised of Organic Nutrient Drench (OND) and Z-Hume which is a stupidly strong microbial product.

1 oz per gallon of the OND, and 2 oz per 32 oz. of water on the Z-Hume, but the Z-hume water is seperate, and we take 1 oz per gallon of Z-hume water and add it to the gallon of water with the OND in it...quite diluted.

After this, they got a general watering.

I sprayed them with "Enthuse" which is a foliar spray designed to combat plant stress. It is used on transplants, stressed plants and now I use it on cuttings. Loaded with micro's and amino acids.

Spraying regimen:

The following products get a different day of the week and are sprayed once per week:

BrixBlaster
Amaze/PGR
Enthuse

Bloomit will be sprayed twice: once a week prior to bloom, and then a week later.

There is enough nutrition in the sprays alone to grow the plants, but the real purpose for the sprays is to grow the microbial population in the soil via root exudates.

When soil energy is down I'll feed with one oz of "Perk Up," which is a fish based product also loaded with Calcium Nitrate, and an ounce of Z-Hume water.

No guano's, manure, compost, etc. Each thing the plants will be getting is individualized for my soil. It is pointless to try to fit these sprays and ferts into another grow with different soil, as they are designed to work with ProMix HP. Please don't go out and buy these products unless you either get a soil report and recommendations or exactly copy me and what I'm doing.....after I've proven this works.

Oh....I also have a refractometer and a pair of vice grips with little duck bills on them that can squeeze enough juice out of one leaf for a reading. My first brix readings were 12 on some plants in the old soil mix, taken in the dark cycle. Brix readings should not be taken until the plant has had 2 hours of sunlight. My buddy's hydro grow---which is stupendously awesome---showed brix of 10 after 8 hours of light.

Pics coming!

Should this grow be wildly successful, I'll be putting together "kits" so anyone can get a bale of ProMix and grow true High Brix.

Re: Doc Bud: True High Brix.

I am definitely in for this one!!!! I too will be starting my new high brix attempt, but have learned a ton from my last one, your journals and also all of us doing High Brix grows here at 420 Magazine!!

I really appreciate all the detail, time and explanation that you feature in your posts Doc!!! I love how all of us share our knowledge here and "grow" as a community!!! Very cool that you have taken the time to get some of the soil test results... I spent hours and hours online searching for other "commercial soils" that have been tested, and came up completely empty handed, so much kudos for you to go though the testing process and sharing your results with us...

I posted something in your previous journal that I was curious about, releating to High Brix and Epigenetics...would love to hear your opinion on the topic :) I started working at a medical product company and have been learning all kinds of interesting stuff... were on some cutting edge technologies infusing kinesio taping ideas into clothing that improves posture, circulation, lung function, muscle fatigue, lactose build up and many more things...The technology is based on the idea that we are a system, and just like plants or any other system, if one element is off, the others will "Make up" for it by going into overdrive or shutting down. Its actually a bad ass product with over 3 years of clinical tests and trials done with published results...and its funny because in my mind as a grower, I'm thinking...its the same thing were doing to our High Brix grows. By creating a perfect balance, we are increasing the genetic potential of the living thing :) I thought you might appreciate hearing about the product and how it relates... :) My question in the other forum was actually based on this theory of epigenetics where if we were to clone a high brix plant, many of its DNA switches have been turned on, so its clone would already start with these same opportunities available right? So if we kept taking clones of high brix plants over and over, would we accomplish a better plant quality each time, more so than if you were to keep a mother and keep cloning her? Based on environmental influence allowing these "switches" to turn on or off, in a High brix environment, wouldn't this be true? Would love to hear your thoughts...

I am really excited to see your next High Brix grow, and seems like this one will be the best yet based on your new soil structure, and past experiences and knowledge!!! I will be getting my new one going within the month, should be getting soil this week, mixing it up and letting it cook for a few weeks. I also have some new soil innoculants that I am going to try...also found out #4 smartpots are still too small for my grows, so should be stepping it up to the next biggest size, when I pulled my rootballs, whoa...looked like a hairball!!!

Just curious but what was wrong with the FFOF, where was it high or what was the results? if you don't mind sharing :)
Also, how long is the turn around time for the soil tests?

Definitely am in for this grow and can't wait to see this magic in the making!!

Im SUBBED!

I am definitely in for this one!!!! I too will be starting my new high brix attempt, but have learned a ton from my last one, your journals and also all of us doing High Brix grows here at 420 Magazine!!

I really appreciate all the detail, time and explanation that you feature in your posts Doc!!! I love how all of us share our knowledge here and "grow" as a community!!! Very cool that you have taken the time to get some of the soil test results... I spent hours and hours online searching for other "commercial soils" that have been tested, and came up completely empty handed, so much kudos for you to go though the testing process and sharing your results with us...

I posted something in your previous journal that I was curious about, releating to High Brix and Epigenetics...would love to hear your opinion on the topic :) I started working at a medical product company and have been learning all kinds of interesting stuff... were on some cutting edge technologies infusing kinesio taping ideas into clothing that improves posture, circulation, lung function, muscle fatigue, lactose build up and many more things...The technology is based on the idea that we are a system, and just like plants or any other system, if one element is off, the others will "Make up" for it by going into overdrive or shutting down. Its actually a bad ass product with over 3 years of clinical tests and trials done with published results...and its funny because in my mind as a grower, I'm thinking...its the same thing were doing to our High Brix grows. By creating a perfect balance, we are increasing the genetic potential of the living thing :) I thought you might appreciate hearing about the product and how it relates... :) My question in the other forum was actually based on this theory of epigenetics where if we were to clone a high brix plant, many of its DNA switches have been turned on, so its clone would already start with these same opportunities available right? So if we kept taking clones of high brix plants over and over, would we accomplish a better plant quality each time, more so than if you were to keep a mother and keep cloning her? Based on environmental influence allowing these "switches" to turn on or off, in a High brix environment, wouldn't this be true? Would love to hear your thoughts...

I am really excited to see your next High Brix grow, and seems like this one will be the best yet based on your new soil structure, and past experiences and knowledge!!! I will be getting my new one going within the month, should be getting soil this week, mixing it up and letting it cook for a few weeks. I also have some new soil innoculants that I am going to try...also found out #4 smartpots are still too small for my grows, so should be stepping it up to the next biggest size, when I pulled my rootballs, whoa...looked like a hairball!!!

Just curious but what was wrong with the FFOF, where was it high or what was the results? if you don't mind sharing :)
Also, how long is the turn around time for the soil tests?

Definitely am in for this grow and can't wait to see this magic in the making!!

Hey bro!

Epigenetics....I must have missed your post! I can only speculate at this point, but barring normal mutation rates, the genetic code from a healthy plant is the same as one from a plant that isn't quite as healthy. However, when you have a plant that is superbly healthy for a period of years, it stands to reason that the viability of clones stays good for a longer period of time.

As long as the DNA string is the same in plant A and plant B, each plant has the ability to react, adapt and grow into its environment. If plant A is dealing with poor soil, difficult temps and pests....yield and quality are going to suffer. If plant B is exposed to premium soil, perfect balance of nutrients and biology and ideal temps....well, the opposite is going to happen. I think the point is that if the cuttings are High Brix, and they root quickly, the switches will have already been activated and the plant will have a better start in life than otherwise.

Of course, the best practice would be to grow from seed, but that's not always practical for many reasons. Healthy clones are sure tough to find!

It is proven that High Brix growing "unlocks" several things in our plant's genetic code that you don't see with regular growing:

1.)plants have a natural defense against pests, PM, rot, etc. These defenses vary from strain to strain, but they are turned on in a maximized high brix environment. This means no pests, no sprays, etc.

2.)The terpene profile and effect of High Brix weed is different. As you have experienced, the smells are more complex---not necessarily stronger----and the taste is smooth, smooth, smooth---as you know. :thumb: The effect is just fantastic...if normal weed is like standing outside in the rain, high brix weed is like slowly immersing into a jacuzzie that's just the right temp.

So something is happening with the plants when they get the minerals. I'm looking forward to seeing what this 100% scientific program is going to produce! I'm worried and fearful, of course....because no one else has done this and shared the results....but I'm optimistic.

theory of epigenetics where if we were to clone a high brix plant, many of its DNA switches have been turned on, so its clone would already start with these same opportunities available

I will start by saying how privileged I am to be reading journals as they are written by you High Brix pioneers, before they are adopted to influence the production of more than just Medication. Total respect. I know only as much as a very small fraction of what you have written about High Brix, but having had some formal basic education in Agronomy I would like to fully agree with your logic IceMud,

Thank you both for the enlightenment :thumb:

subd mate, high brix is a bit out of my reach at the moment as i dont know enough about it to even think about making the soil perfect for growing, but i follow the old thread about high brix and its had me interested ever since, if i can improve my soil and feed the soil instead of the plants then this can only help the grow move along and the plants very happy indeed, so i wont be commenting much as i dont know enough about it to comment on, but ill follow along in the back ground and pick up what i can mate, it gives me the chance to learn more about the medium im growing in,

I will start by saying how privileged I am to be reading journals as they are written by you High Brix pioneers, before they are adopted to influence the production of more than just Medication. Total respect. I know only as much as a very small fraction of what you have written about High Brix, but having had some formal basic education in Agronomy I would like to fully agree with your logic IceMud,

Thank you both for the enlightenment :thumb:

Hey A, High Brix growing is well established and thriving in the fruit, vegetable and feed industries. All I know is learned from people who are already doing it, crop after crop, in the form of small farms, market gardens and pastures for very expensive horses. Stoners are just a little late to the party....that's all. So, I'm here to get the party started! :roorrip:

subd mate, high brix is a bit out of my reach at the moment as i dont know enough about it to even think about making the soil perfect for growing, but i follow the old thread about high brix and its had me interested ever since, if i can improve my soil and feed the soil instead of the plants then this can only help the grow move along and the plants very happy indeed, so i wont be commenting much as i dont know enough about it to comment on, but ill follow along in the back ground and pick up what i can mate, it gives me the chance to learn more about the medium im growing in,

It's not hard to improve the soil! You can start by adding Soft Rock Phosphate. This all by itself will help your grow tremendously. The 6-5-3 powders I've been recommending are 80% there as far as brix goes. The trouble comes with the soils we use....usually too high in sodium and potassium. If all you did was amend soil with a good micro source, like Azomite, and a source of calcium, like SRP, Gypsum and high Ca Limestone.....you're pretty much there as long as you have good microbes in the soil (ProMix comes already fortified with beneficials) and you don't fee the wrong stuff.

Seriously, rock powders, micro's, a good tea, and low NPK fishy ferts, or chicken manure will do the job! It just won't do it quite as well as what I'm doing----I hope.

Thanks for the new chapter Doc!

Thanks to you and everyone else who reads my journals! Please feel free to ask questions....I'll be updating regularly and will make a detalied post on the High Brix thread soon.

Doc, in 2 or 3 months we are going to have piles of used soil. Is there a trick to getting that soil ready again or will we need to send off a sample?

Used soil....it's actually the main source of stress in my grow room.....what to do with all the soil?

I am now recycling my soil, since I now have a true, high brix soil. My plan looks like this:

1.)purchase 2 large horse watering troughs....made from hard plastic.
2.)used soil from each run goes into a trough and is sent off for a soil test, amended as instructed, "cooked" and put back in service.
3.)No more disposal issue

I didn't see the point in recycling soil that wasn't right, but now I'm very excited to re-use the soil, as it's finally a true high Brix soil.

Better pics coming soon.

Here's a Lemon Paki finishing up in the last edition of soil. Looking good, shiney, frosty and starting to bulk up. 4-5 weeks to go.
IMG_31343.JPG

Here are the brand new Cherry Pie and Great White. More cutting will be put in the tray soon and then I'll start another crop from seed.
IMG_31332.JPG
IMG_31322.JPG

Docbud my apologies for asking questions in r2mnot's thread, I thought it was yours. I am searching now, just seem to keep getting too broad of a search. I will try google instead the site search function is cumbersome. :thanks: for all your help.

:peace:

Thank you so much! That is a treasure trove of information. Starting now got some reading to do!

:peace:

thanks for all the info, ill write it all down and pick up what i can when i can then ill be able to get everything ready so i can then try growing using that method so thanks for the break down on what the basics are for improvement.

i have been trying something with 2 of my plants, now ive got tropical fresh water fish, and i dont add any chemicals to the tanks, so i decided to try watering my plants with the tank water, and the 2 plants ive been giving the tank water to have grown faster and seem more healthy than the rest of the plants, now i spoke to corey at bpn as i wanted to know if its ok to add the nutes to the fish water, he told me their would be no problems, so my next feed ill mix the bpn with the tank water and see how these 2 plants like it, i have got testing equipment for my tank and i know it contains nitrates and nitrites and this is what most fertelizers contain, so clearly their is some boost to be had from using the tank water, i also asked corey about upping his bpn doses, he told me the dose he has given on the net is an all round dose so its good for soft and hard water and ro water, so the doses can be upped, ive got to get a ppm tester as corey said the plants max out at around 1600ppm, so i need to get an ec tester to check the ppm, i also want to check the ppm of the tank water if thats possible

Hey doc, love what you are doing here! Been following for a while and am so happy I get to tag along for another go. It seems like everything has come together for you and your quest. It seems the whole journal will be exciting, not just the bloom pix. I was wondering what the "amendment" they blended for you was comprised of? As well, when "cooking" your soil do you let it sit open to air or covered for extended periods? Stupid question I know, but I am new to soil growing. Thanks for all you are doing here. Blaze on trailblazer.

Hey doc, love what you are doing here! Been following for a while and am so happy I get to tag along for another go. It seems like everything has come together for you and your quest. It seems the whole journal will be exciting, not just the bloom pix. I was wondering what the "amendment" they blended for you was comprised of? As well, when "cooking" your soil do you let it sit open to air or covered for extended periods? Stupid question I know, but I am new to soil growing. Thanks for all you are doing here. Blaze on trailblazer.

You are not asking stupid questions!

Here's a stupid question: When do you flush?
Your question; "How do you go about "cooking" soil?" That's a very good question bro!!!

I put the soil in a 40 gallon rubbermaid trashcan, watered with 3 gallons of a mild microbial tea. I put the lid on and let it get hot. After a couple days, if everything is right, you'll see a bunch of white hair:

Picture_02230.jpg

This is the fungus and other stuff that is so important.

The Amendment I'm using is custom formulated for ProMix HP. It will not work right for other soils, so don't even try. You can either get your own ProMix tested and then order the "broadcast" or if this grow is successful, you can order small amounts of the broadcast, along with other doodads, in kit form from me. I've got 2 kits out there right now, so I'll be reporting back on how they're doing.

That carbonized limestone is some cool stuff. Keeps the calcium from sinking below the root zone right? calcium mixed with hydrogen?

Back
Top Bottom