UndoGrow's 1st Time Ever Soil - Bag Seed & CFL! - 2012

UndoGrow

Hey everyone, I have been lurking long enough now to get the balls and make a journal while I work on my first grow. I will be posting bi-daily to keep myself from spamming the journal. So heres the details:

What strain is it? BAG SWAG Seeds! ;)
Is it Indica, Sativa or Hybrid? What percentages? Unknown
Is it in Veg or Flower stage? Veg
If in Veg... For how long? 4 days!
If in Flower stage... For how long? N/A
Indoor or outdoor? Indoor only
Soil or Hydro? Soil
If soil... what is in your mix? (FF light warior, FFOF, and FF Red bag)
If soil... What size pot? seedlings - plastic cups, mature - 3.5 gallon pots
Size of light? About 750 watts of mixed CFL
Is it aircooled? Yes, 4 fans
Temp of Room/cab? Daylight - 79' Night - Unknown (24hr light schedule so far)
RH of Room/cab? N/A
PH of media or res? 6.8
Any Pests ? Nope (Got neem oil, mighty wash and zap out insect sticky trap)
How often are you watering? When soil drys up on top 3 inches (every day or other day)
Type and strength of ferts used? Floranova Grow, Floranova Bloom

LIGHT:
Ok so now that you guys are aware of my project lets see if i can elaborate a little... I have 22 (26 watt imitating 100 watt cfls) 11 bulbs:2500k 11 bulbs:5000-6500k mix. I also have 1 125 watt 6500k CFL with hood reflector. 2 22" Flouro Tubes at 60watts each.

POTS:
I'm using mixed pots, (2) 3 gallon ergo pots, (2) 6 gallon trench pots, (4) 3.5 gallon pots, and (2) small 1.8 gallon pots.

Special thanks to 420 mag for giving me the op to show my op! :420::thumb:
IMG_7268.jpg
IMG_51741.jpg
IMG_47041.jpg
IMG_14449.jpg

re: UndoGrow's 1st Time Ever Soil - Bag Seed & CFL! - 2012

New guy, so all and any advice is welcome and much appreciated. Hope to make some new friends and good smoke along the way!
P.s yes that's a dYson air multiplier for my main fan, I know... I'm not rich just using what I got already so I can invest more on important things.

Also, I'm looking into getting a 30$ bag of decomposing shrooms at my local shop for supplemental c02, does any one disagree with my thoughts and is there a easier or cheaper way? I am to understand this bag o shrooms is going to last about 2-3 months and is safe for indoor use.

Nice setup you have there J, I may have 15 in seedlings but female turnout will most likely be a lot less... and I couldn't handle that many anyways. I plan to keep 8 or 10 of my strongest females if theres that many. (swag bag so who knows) Good luck to you and your grow m8!

Subbed and watching eagerly. If I can be of any assistance let me know. Looks like you have a good start for a SOG. It will be interesting to see your percentages of Male/Female. Good Luck and may the grow gods bless you and your plants.

Also, I'm looking into getting a 30$ bag of decomposing shrooms at my local shop for supplemental c02, does any one disagree with my thoughts and is there a easier or cheaper way? I am to understand this bag o shrooms is going to last about 2-3 months and is safe for indoor use.

I'm looking at picking up one of those as well! There's another poster on here who I can't recall at the moment, who uses these and says there is a definite impact on growth compared to his last one. There may be cheaper ways, but how much easier could you make something like this!?! :) Hang it. Done. ;)

Digging your set up too! I might bring the cfl's a bit closer to the tops though. They lose intensity real quick the further away they are. You can usually put them @ 2-3" above the plants safely. Most of the heat will be radiating from the ballast, so keep that part away and your golden. :thumb:

Here's how far my cfls stay during veg -
cfls4.jpg

Subbed and excited to see where you take this!!

:peace:

So would you suggest bring the lights closer even if they seem to give off a bit of heat (hot) due to how many i have. Estimated 750-800 true watts of CFL here. Appears to rise in temps of 88-90 due to them being so close together... i know space em out but honestly my closet and the amount im trying to achieve seems to keep getting in my way... its gonna be interesting hoping i can keep them around 6-8 inches away without losing too much :hmmmm:

Be really careful with those lights. Watch your temps at the leaf level.
You can lose all those wee babies in an hour if you get it too hot in there.
If you have the proper ventilation than feel free to put them within 3-4" or so inches.(use the back of your hand as a guide for how close you think it can go)

Exactly what i was thinking, I keep that door open 24/7 so ventilation is good. I think its the room size that im working with thats limiting my abilities. No sweat though, I'll make it happen! ;)

Be really careful with those lights. Watch your temps at the leaf level.
You can lose all those wee babies in an hour if you get it too hot in there.
If you have the proper ventilation than feel free to put them within 3-4" or so inches.(use the back of your hand as a guide for how close you think it can go)

***oops sorry for the double post :ganjamon:

^This^

I was using 23w cfl's over each seedling. The back of the hand thing works for getting a good feel :))) of how close you can go. If its too hot for your hand, its too hot for your plant. With the 23w I could get them @ 1-1/2" - 2" away without trouble. The 42w I had (2700k so a lil' warmer) I could bring in maybe 4" from the tops. You gotta go with what feels right to you.
But too far and the lumens diminish in intensity exponentially.

intensity x 1/distance squared

And the closer the light, the less your seedlings will stretch for it.

This a great lil' cfl guide

I had a huge amount of trouble maintaining temps in my lil' box with them too. I was running 10 23w 6500k and getting temps sometimes over 100F! Ultimately why I redesigned to where I am now and went HID. Yours looks a bit larger than mine, so there's more to play with. :) What are your dimensions for the space?

have the proper ventilation

Truth! Only way to deal with the ambiant temps effectively. :) (hard learn for me)

Are you going to/ have you/ can you put in any type of exhaust system?

Digging your set up, looks pretty damn cool as it is!

Happy Growing!

K

awesome guide, thanks korloin! i have adjusted lights to about 4 inches away and even cut off a few of the light on the outside of the plants to cut down heat. I don't believe I need all these lights on for early vegging process. I'll throw up a few pics of the update shortly!

update on lighting, i added a small cfl in the middle to eliminate me bringing my flouro wing down due to heat. All cfls are within 4-6 inches from plants now so we should start to see some improvement soon. i have a feeling since i did not use a cover to humidify they are tending to droop a bit from overwatering. Gonna leave em be for the next day or 2 to see if they perk up a bit.
IMG_63281.jpg

just a quick update most of my babies are now curling hard and yellowing with a few rusty looking spots. Odd because i have not done anything different from what i've seen in the past. I have fox farm light warrior for my seedlings, and they are in 6" pots... lighting is good, temps are mid 70s, humidity is kinda low but i put some plastic cups over the them to see if it would pick em up and still no change. I don't understand why but thinking the soil is too much...=/ any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!!!!:bitingnails:

Soil is probably the answer.

Alright so here is the latest
Day 4 of a new beginning!

1. Old babies are now dead and gone not sure what happened but we're on to the next round.
2. Got rock wool cubes for this round and humidifying with clear plastic cups.
3. Using distiller water for these as well. Every other watering with some fresh lemon juice to keep ph down.
4. Running 450 watts of cfl 4200-6500k
5. Planted to ff light warrior after roots shown.
6. Adding nutes at 5th node showing, hopefully 2-3 weeks at most.
7. All seedlings are bag seeds from Reggie !
8. Light schedule is 24on

Adding 6 seedlings on Thursday, and they will also be Reggie bag seeds.
All nutes, soil and pots are same.

image295.jpg
image294.jpg

An early 10 day update things are looking better than last seedlings but still having a slow grow rate maybe I'm just impatient but I'm also seeing similar results with yellowing and one plant is actually reaching really bad. Check it out
image376.jpg

image375.jpg
image370.jpg

The other 6 look a bit better but similar if not the same. I have done the following;
Temp 78-80
Cups for humidity
Lights at 4-6"
Fan on lights to keep heat regulated
No bugs
Watering/feeding every other day or so. 2-3 inches of dry soil or cracking on sides, feed every other watering.

Back
Top Bottom