600W - Lucy - 2L SOG

iSmokes

Hello all and welcome :welcome: to my second journal. I love the community here and everything about it! I'm very excited to start a second journal. I didn't stop growing the past 2 months, I'll post a couple of pictures of what I was up to. Now let's get down to business:

This grow will mainly focus on the strain Lucy, I will have a few Super Lemon Haze cuttings as well in between them. The plan is to attempt a 2L SOG under a 600W.

Grow Area: I'm using my same setup. For anyone unfamiliar with it, I'll go in some details. It's a little short of 3x5x7 (GL80L) but with the negative pressure and all that, you really get a 2x4 effective grow area.

Lights: 600W HPS, air cooled, in a Massive reflector (Quantum). I'm using a Phantom ballast, I love that it has absolutely no noise, not even the slightest humm or hsss..

Ventilation: I exhaust through a carbon filter using a 6" inline fan. I depend on negative pressure for intake. A couple of 6" desk fans help with adding some air circulation.

Medium: I will use 2L hempies filled with 80/20 perlite and vermiculite. Drain holes a couple of inches from the bottom.

Nutrients: BPN 3-part + Liquid Blue.

So the plan is to stack around 40 cuttings under that light and hopefully learn how to manage a proper Sea of Green as I go. This is very obviously inspired by 420fied's SOG's. His journals taught me a method of growing that I think I'll be utilizing for a long time. Even after I downsize to a 2x2, I plan to keep the hempies rockin :rocker:.

All feedback is very much welcome :blushsmile: I look forward to experimenting and learning with all you good people here at 420 mag!

How far am I into this grow?
-Not very LOL. I'm just about to plant my first clones any day now. The plan is to flip to 12/12 almost immediately.

Here are a couple of pictures of where I'm at right now:

Mothers - 3-ft each, there's 4 Lucies and 1 Super Lemon Haze.

IMG_054421.jpg

IMG_054218.JPG

IMG_054322.jpg

Nutrients

IMG_054914.JPG

Cloner & Cuttings

IMG_053912.jpg

IMG_053716.JPG

IMG_053814.JPG

IMG_053616.JPG

IMG_054013.jpg

IMG_054118.JPG

Now time to get the 2Ls ready. I already have 40 bottles, I just have to light-proof them, drill some drain holes, and start planting some cuts. Here's a look at some of the stuff I've been up to. I grew a Diva again, showed better results with HPS and BPN over the first one. I'll see if I have pictures, I didn't take many because I wasn't journaling.

Here's a cheese drying

I'll try to find full plant pics somewhere. This is not yet fully trimmed. Just took off the fans, I still have to do some fine trimming. I'll take better nug photos once trimmed. It's skunky, very resinous, and I can't wait to smoke it :slide:

IMG_053416.JPG

IMG_053516.jpg

Here's an MK-ultra 3 weeks since 12/12

Heavy defoliation because I'm using floros to flower it. She smells like a pine tree lol. She's coming along nice.

IMG_054519.jpg

IMG_054613.JPG

IMG_054718.jpg

Goals:

- Hopefully a decent yield.

- Picking a keeper, my 4 Lucies are showing different phenotypes and different rooting time etc... I'm hoping to find one of those 4 that will be suitable for my future 2x2 on-going SOG.

- Get used to the hempy style growing. I already tried a couple just as dummies and it worked! Moving from soil to perlite medium is very strange :laughtwo:

- Learn more from all you great growers on here and hopefully contribute to the wealth of knowledge on the 420mag forums :blushsmile:

Is it not just a beautiful way to grow? I sure hope I get a hang of it. I know I'm learning from the very best. Check out 420fied's SOGs if you're digging this type of grow. If you actually go through them page by page, you will learn so much it's ridiculous :laughtwo:. His journals will answer every single question you have :blushsmile:

Welcome aboard :welcome:

Think I've fallen in love with this type of grow and cant wait to start my own so I'll be following closely. :thumb:

I go with your method fied. I'm new to taking cuttings, and to be honest, I've had a near 100% success.

- Ecopump 396, knob turned nearly all the way down, still producing great mist but at at low velocity/intensity.
- Quick dip in Clonex gel and let sit in cloner for 15-30 mins before switching the pump on.
- Temps are usually in the low 70's.
- Smaller manifold to help the "curtain" slip in easy.

One of my Lucies showed pimples within 5 days (the cuts with the most roots), others took 10 days to start rooting, and finally the SLH hasn't even shown pimples at day 12 now. She's known to be a slow rooter so I'm not too worried, hopefully they'll burst out any day now :).

Tell me about your cloning process ismokes. Any rooting gel or other hormone? What do your res temps run? What size pump are you running? etc.

I go with your method fied. I'm new to taking cuttings, and to be honest, I've had a near 100% success.

- Ecopump 396, knob turned nearly all the way down, still producing great mist but at at low velocity/intensity.
- Quick dip in Clonex gel and let sit in cloner for 15-30 mins before switching the pump on.
- Temps are usually in the low 70's.
- Smaller manifold to help the "curtain" slip in easy.

One of my Lucies showed pimples within 5 days (the cuts with the most roots), others took 10 days to start rooting, and finally the SLH hasn't even shown pimples at day 12 now. She's known to be a slow rooter so I'm not too worried, hopefully they'll burst out any day now :).

Sounds perfect. The only adjustment that I have made is leaving less of the stem below the puck line. I got this good advice from Mr. Smith long ago and was too hard headed to use it for a while.

With the strain I grow, I would see stem rot on occasion and looking back, I firmly believe it was because I had too much stem below the puck( hindsight is always 20-20). Also, I noticed that the majority of my root formation was on the bottom 1" of my rooting clone so there was really no need to leave that much stem below the puck. I wasn't seeing roots up the sides of my clones like you are so this was a logical adjustment. Although stem rot wasn't frequent, I have noticed that leaving less of the stem below the neoprene puck has completely eliminated it. (hope you don't mind the picture)

lid1_rootz2.JPG

Just something to keep in mind if you see any issues.

Sounds perfect. The only adjustment that I have made is leaving less of the stem below the puck line. I got this good advice from Mr. Smith long ago and was too hard headed to use it for a while.

With the strain I grow, I would see stem rot on occasion and looking back, I firmly believe it was because I had too much stem below the puck( hindsight is always 20-20). Also, I noticed that the majority of my root formation was on the bottom 1" of my rooting clone so there was really no need to leave that much stem below the puck. I wasn't seeing roots up the sides of my clones like you are so this was a logical adjustment. Although stem rot wasn't frequent, I have noticed that leaving less of the stem below the neoprene puck has completely eliminated it. (hope you don't mind the picture)

Just something to keep in mind if you see any issues.

Of course I don't mind the picture fied. Please feel free to chime in with anything on my journal! I value your input much more than a "thank you" would do justice.. and what a fine picture! I noticed it on your journal, very aggressive and healthy roots. Beautiful.

I completely agree about the stems. I actually noticed a slight brown color on the bottoms, and most of my roots were from the upper part. I cut that bottom part off after noticing it. I will keep this in mind next time for sure.

Damn ISmokes! I am impressed. You have come a long way and obviously burning the midnight oil doing research. This grow is going to be great to watch. Fied has impressed me as well. Great information. As a novice myself to cloning that advice is outstanding. Smokes your clones look great and the set up is tight. I am excited for you!

Woo hoo! It's up and running! Though by the looks of it it's been running for a bit - you've been busy mate! I'm really looking forward to seeing the SLH - I've got a seed waiting for the grow after next. It sounds amazing so I can't wait to see yours grow and get a few tips. And SOG will be exciting; bud carpet!

The MK looks fantastic too iSmokes, great work.

About 10 of the cuttings are ready for planting. I'm preparing my bottles and medium mix today, planting tomorrow.

Ironically, perlite and vermiculite were the hardest thing to find. Not one home depot or lowe's had them LOL. Some had the little bags, but eventually I had to take a good drive to get a couple of big bags.

I was thinking about how to light-proof my bottles. I really don't want to paint. I think I'll slip them into 1/2gal grow bags? Bottle in a bag? or maybe tape some panda film around each bottle. We'll see :)

Here's one of the clones that are ready for planting. Please share your thoughts if you think I should wait longer / should have planted earlier :blushsmile:

IMG_055220.jpg

Awwwww shit another 2l hemp grow. Sky is all aboard. Well detailed intro journal. I myself will be doing a hempy grow but I'm going to wait a month or two for my Pineapple Express and gran daddy purple moms to produce some 6-8" cuttings in dwc. In the meantime I'm going to do a coco run with slh and holy grail kush. Keep it up man as I will be following this closely as I do 420 fied. Also from another forum I hear thar gorilla tapes works good for the 2l's but its best to apply it when there's is liquid in the bottle because it makes it easier to apply the tape. But I mysel used flat black spray paint. I have over 120 2l bottles just waiting. Sorry for getting chatty.

Welcome aboard sir Sky Rocket. I'm very excited about this grow. I really hope I get this down right. If it works well for me, it will provide me with personal meds from a very small grow area. I have 420fied to thank for that. I think it's awesome you're following both grows. This way, you'll see both a master and a noob. Learn from my mistakes and take note of his grow tips :blushsmile:

Awwwww shit another 2l hemp grow. Sky is all aboard. Well detailed intro journal. I myself will be doing a hempy grow but I'm going to wait a month or two for my Pineapple Express and gran daddy purple moms to produce some 6-8" cuttings in dwc. In the meantime I'm going to do a coco run with slh and holy grail kush. Keep it up man as I will be following this closely as I do 420 fied. Also from another forum I hear thar gorilla tapes works good for the 2l's but its best to apply it when there's is liquid in the bottle because it makes it easier to apply the tape. But I mysel used flat black spray paint. I have over 120 2l bottles just waiting. Sorry for getting chatty.

Oh, and I think I'm just going to slip the bottles in 1/2 gal grow bags, they're a really nice fit. It's the easy way out, I know, I'm just a little tired :). Good luck with your mothers and future plans brother.

Ismokes,

Your clones look great! Here's how I decide if my girls are ready for planting. I hold them in place inside the 2 Liter bottle. If the roots are long enough that they're laying in the bottom of the res, I plant them. Making sure that your roots are clearly in the res when burying is VITAL. The newly planted babies won't really start showing explosive growth until the roots make their way to the res anyway. Having them already there when planted gets you ahead of the curve.

empty2.JPG
bpnrootshot.JPG
bpnbury.JPG

I wish you well.

I post a lot of random thoughts on my journals. Sometimes not related to the specific topic on hand, but I really like to post them. My main reason is that random posts and tips on random journals taught me how to get a grow started. That said, think of these posts as thinking out loud, hoping it would help someone somehow.

This one is about BPN. I'm not an employee and I don't get free nutes. If they sucked, I would politely tell corey that his nutrients disappointed me. This is purely personal opinion. The thing is, I think BPN is now one of my favorite things about growing. No more fear of nute burn, buds are juicy-dense-delicious, + an easy to follow schedule. (I actually push a little harder over the schedule but I keep track of ppm's - not blindly add more for bigger buds)

My soil grows turned out fantastic with BPN. I use the 3-part + booster.

Now to my latest beautiful surprise with these nutrients. I'm moving from soil to hempies, so I've been kinda dreading pH adjustments before feeding and all that. Apparently the goods from blue planet agree with my tap water and mix to a perfect 5.9'sh. I always double check, of course, but so far I've never had to use pH down :blushsmile:. I guess what I'm trying to say is, as a new grower, BPN is making life a lot easier. All this hype all over 420mag is not exaggeration people. This stuff not only produces great bud, but also makes the grow journey a lot easier. I was willing to pay around $1,000 for an RO and the full line of Advanced Nutrients just for their pH perfect technology and juicy nugs. BPN is doing that with my tap water for $60 that will last months LOL.

Back
Top Bottom