Newbie First Time Grow in Soil - Unknown Strain

frostyMJbudEC

hey everyone, im a first time grower and im kinda starting this journal a ways into the grow already but i was hoping this journal would get me some insight from more experienced growers out there.

i have 4 plants, one is still a seedling with its 4th set of leaves coming in so i guess its not really a seedling, anyway they are in a 30 gal rubbermaid tub in my closet under 6 23w 6500k cflsi use miracle nutes at about 1/2 strength and the soil mix is a mix of jiffy seed starter and miracle grow african violet soil ( a friend is going to hook me up with some fox farm soil later). there is an intake and exhaust fan on the box and i have been watering every 3 days. any tips will be great and as soon as i figure out how to upload photos i will, i tried like 10 minutes ago and it got rid of my entire thread so give me a few minutes and they will be up.

peace all and again any comments and criticism will be greatly appreciated.

re: Newbie First Time Grow in Soil, Unknown Strain

20130225_103759.jpg
20130225_103807.jpg

these are just basic nutes i got from lowes i wanted to go organic but the babies needed something so this is what i got
20130225_104124.jpg
20130225_104104.jpg

i started the seedlings in the jiffy mix and then i got the african violet mix and mixed them together, i couldnt find perlite in the store so thats what they are growing in
20130225_104613.jpg
20130225_104630.jpg
20130225_104637.jpg

and this is the box, lights and the babies

Those Plants are Looking Nice there! Cfl's once again proving to me their potential. Your grow box looks great for this stage so far. Do you have a space to flower those babies? If not, you should think about flowering soon. They grow twice as big usually when flowered and have a good chance at filling that up.
Best of Luck on your grow!

i do have an armoire that im going to fix into a flowering chamber so once these mature more i will move them into that

the armoire is around 6ft tall and since i dont know the strain of these seeds i might just let them get a little bigger and then flower them
thanx for the reply too all comments are welcome if you see anything that could be better pls dont hesitate to let me know

ok so i was talking in a post earlier about the armoire i got for the flowering chamber and i gotta give props juicyfruit4me for his awesome vid with his armoire setup and i hope that i achieve a similar setup to it
armoire.jpg

here is the outside of the armoire i got ill be posting as i get this project going

Re: Newbie First Time Grow in Soil, Unknown Strain

hey everyone just wanted to update the thread, since i looked at my babies i'm seeing a little bit of growth in there, i also wanted to get a side view of them for you guys to see... i so there was some leaf damage so i posted in the problems forums and i was told it looked like i was over feeding so i switched to plain water and hopefully they bounce back from it which i'm sure they will
plants_2-26.jpg
youngest_2-26.jpg

this one here is the youngest and has been doing great it started out in wayyyy better conditions then my first few plants
baby_22.jpg
baby_12.jpg

and here are the others i think they are looking good but im still the newbie so again any and alll comments and constructive criticism is greatly appreciated peace all and until next time

sorry the pics are sideways im an idiot didnt realize i didnt fix them before posting

hey guys im back thought i would update everyone on how its been going.... plants are still looking relatively good, i had to transplant them they were starting to get really cramped in their previous pots so i got larger pots fox farm ocean forest soil and some fox farm big bloom nutes, i heard the miracle gro shit i was using had bad reviews so i went organic like i wanted to from the start..... ive also been doing my work on the armoire i posted earlier and finally ill get the pics up for everyone to see the fruit of my labor thus far

newer_pics_of_the_babies_3.jpg
newer_pics_of_the_babies_2.jpg
newer_pics_of_the_babies_1.jpg

and here is the work on the armoire
armoire_growbox_1.jpg
armoire_growbox_2.jpg
armoire_growbox_3.jpg
armoire_growbox_4.jpg
armoire_growbox_6.jpg
armoire_growbox_7.jpg
armoire_growbox_5.jpg
armoire_grow_box_10.jpg
armoire_growbox_11.jpg
armoire_growbox_9.jpg
armoire_growbox_8.jpg

and there you have it.... im waiting for the fans to get here so i can start to install the into the box and then ill put the reflective material on i want to go with mylar but im short on funds so i might go with white paint who knows im not sure just yet
anyways ill keep everyone posted and as always any thoughts, comments, constructive criticism is always welcome

since i dont kno this strain they were just seeds from a friend of mine im just gonna grow them out and thnx for the input on the soil ill definitely monitor the plants and most likely switch to just plain water maybe bubbly water and the light hours now is 18/6

ill definitely keep everyone updated

alright guys im back and lucky for me i have a snow day here so i called out of work and got right started on the armoire, its not yet complete but had to get the plants in there because they were out growing their current box. so without further ado here is what i got to show ya
since i didnt have a hole saw drilled a bunch of little holes and just used a hack saw to take care of the rest
exhaust_hole_started.jpg

1_exhaust_hole_finished.jpg

this is the bottom with the mylar on it
bottom_of_armoire_with_mylar.jpg

i had to use some insulation foam as a reflector for now, ill get some chains and hang actual reflectors later on but like i said this needed to get done
insulation_foam_as_reflector.jpg

and then finally the plants in the bottom
plants_in_armoire.jpg

i got some light leakage to take care of in some places but it should be a big issue right now
light_leaks_3.jpg
light_leaks_2.jpg
light_leaks_1.jpg

Looking really good there mate :bravo:

Have you considered doing any form of low stress training?

It looks from the leaves on your plants that they are mainly sativa meaning they can grow reaaaaaallllly tall. And can have long flowering times (sometimes 3 months or more). Have you any idea on the strain you are growing?

Great work you are doing setting up your grow areas. Looking really neat.

May your buds be large and dense. Keep 'em green my friend

:high-five::peace:

i dont know the strain a friend just threw some seeds my way so i was just gonna grow them to a point like 1.5-2ft and the flower them im not experienced seeing this is my first grow and thats the main reason for the armoire, its almost 6ft so i figured that would be good enough for them to grow out and up in

i was wondering if you guys could help me out, and before i ask know that i did look at problems forum for an answer and cant find one, my most recent pic with the plants in the armoire, the one farthest to the left seems very wilted and i dont know why, also the veins on some leaves look brown, anyone know what it can be? i water every 3-4 days so it cant be over watering???

i was wondering if you guys could help me out, and before i ask know that i did look at problems forum for an answer and cant find one, my most recent pic with the plants in the armoire, the one farthest to the left seems very wilted and i dont know why, also the veins on some leaves look brown, anyone know what it can be? i water every 3-4 days so it cant be over watering???
Hey frosty I was looking at the pic your talking about and it looks like its thirsty, but that was days before your post. Actually even early pics you put up showed one looking thirsty to me , could it be the same one/plant?
this is the early one
plants_2-26.jpg

Anyway I see you dont have saucers under them all now, I was wondering how much you water you use every 3-4 days. And my last 2cents is you should think about begining flower now, and study on what a male flower looks like so when they show sex (probably within 2 weeks of switching to 12/12) you can tell and get it out if you have one.They will fill up space quick in the stretch period , and I just think its time now for your space and lights. :green_heart: :popcorn:

hey closet thanx for the post for your questions i give them water until it starts to drain a little then check with my ph meter to see if its wet at the bottom there were no saucers under those because it wouldnt fit in there but i do have saucers for them now and they will be under the pots for sure but that plant always looks like that even when it was smaller so i dont know really and as for flowering i was thinking the same thing i have a few more things i need to do before i can flower them and i know how to tell the difference between male and female it was one of the first things i researched before even starting this adventure lol so most likely in another week or so ill be putting them into flower

Thats cool man, I just have run into space issues now and before and it gets frustrating. The lower branches/buds not getting strong light will be your smaller popcorn buds with not so much medicinal strength and a pain to trim. Its like you want an even canopy on top of topper buds getting equal light, LST was mentioned to you earlier and that can help getting several toppers close in size with equal light. I tried finding your posts in the problems area The pic with the lower couple leaves dieing a little could be from touching the soil and getting wet or even burned when watering , like the plant on right of that pic I reposted of yours looks like they are touching there. Trimming some lower leaves that low is a good thing to do also.

So things are still looking good as is and Im interested on your grow. Keep posting and keep em green. :thumb:

Back
Top Bottom