Indoor - Mauiwauiguy's Journal 2014

MauiWauiGuy

So here goes on my first grow:

I got lucky and found some clones of GDP which are predominately an Indica. Transplanted from clone 3/29/14

My grow room:

48"x48"x78" grow tent
Air cooled 600W MH/HPS
All air handling is done with a carbon filter and 2 430 CFM fans. 1 small 7" fan in the tent for movement.

Until I got my air under control, I had a hell of a time getting RH up. RH runs at 55% now. (With a humidifier in the tent)

I planted in Rootz original (I think it is a local dirt). Was told there was enough nutes in the dirt for 2 weeks. Well that was wrong as at week 3, I did a feeding of GH Grow (1/2 tsp per gal) and ended up burning my girls (Doh) Lesson learned. The dirt is good enough that I don't have to feed in veg. They have healed up nicely.

Just about to flip the lights. (Will stay with MH for first 2 weeks of flowering, then to HPS) I plan on changing my light cycle to having the lights on at night (When power is cheaper) To adjust, I will put them in the dark tonight at 8PM and flip them to a 12/12 tomorrow night at 8PM (24 hrs of dark, meh we will give it a try)

Started FoxFarms Open Sesame (1/2 tsp per gal) yesterday (Day 28 of veg) I will feed with this for the next 2 weeks then change to Beastie Bloomz.

I had a slight case of PM but used Green Rescue Fungicide to correct that. Kills it dead.

So here is what I started with:

20140328_150143.jpg

And this is day 28:

20140423_180012.jpg

I will update as things move along.

Maui

Not to much to report on other than the 24 hour period of dark did amazing things. We are 3 days into flowering and I am seeing the girls starting to flower.

I must be doing an awesome grow as I have not had a single response. Yeah me!!

I will post more as time goes on.

Maui

You are doing great MauiWauiGuy!

I'll be chilling at the back of the room cheering you on!

Good vibes your way and happy growing!
/Obi-Wan Cannabinoid
:high-five:

Woo Hoo, the girls are showing their flowers just after 4 days of 12/12. I will post some pics when I get a chance. I did give them a bump start by turning the lights off for 24 hrs before switching my schedule. I also immediately started Fox Farms, Open Sesame (1/4 TSP per gal).
I am very please with their progress.

Maui

Good morning all,

Just a quick update. After the light schedule change, I left the MH lights on for 7 days and switched to HPS. I am seeing a little browning on the edge of one leaf. Concerned it may be a nute deficiency. Here are a couple of pics.

Maui
20140504_070244.jpg
20140504_070329.jpg

After some debate, I believe I have just gave them too much nutes. I plan on cutting the nutes in half. I watered with plain PHed water and things seem to be improving. I will check again tonight and post some better pictures.

Maui

OK I just proved I am a noob. After all the reading I was gauging moisture with my finger. (hey now, get outta the gutter). Well after more reading, I discovered a post here that talks about a cheap moisture meter. So I went ahead and bought one. To my surprise, the girls were very dry. Apparently not to the point pf wilting but I am guessing close. Was watering about every 3 days. That I believe was a HUGE dis-service to my girls. Now with the meter, I check everyday and to my surprise..... they are drinking alot of water. I see I should be watering everyday.

So as of last night, they are 12 days into blooming. IMHO I think they are kicking ass but this is my first real grow. Here are some pictures. (Sorry for the quality as I have yet to figure out how to take decent pictures under the HPS) What do you all think?

Thanks for watching

Maui

DSC004305.JPG
DSC004317.JPG
DSC0043210.jpg

Oh and to help with your watering issues. Make sure you get 10-15% runoff. If your plants are drying out everyday they might need a bigger pot, or the temp in the tent is high and causing evaporation.

What is your room temp?

12 days into bloom they are kicking ass for sure. Impressive to say the least.

Stumped,

Thanks for being here.

I am growing in 10 gal smart pots. RH 50 -55%, Temp 68 (No lights) and 75 (Lights on). I may not be watering enough. I have been splitting 2 gals of water between the 3 of them. Would a gal per be too much water?

Thanks for any advice. They are doing to well for me to kill them now.

Maui

The only reason I went with 10 gal is it was a suggestion from my local grow shop that I use. He says more roots could equal more buds. Not sure how much truth is in that but being new to this I will have to learn on the fly. I thought about using 6 gal pots next time.

I will start giving them 1 gal of water to each of my girls.

Thanks for the help.
Maui

I'll throw a comment in for consideration. It could be that the frequency of watering is fine at about every 3 days or so but the watering may have been too shallow?

I'd consider doubling your water amount to about 4gal, split it (not equally but by as needed) between the 30gal of grow media, and see what you have left after getting some run off from each plant.

Stumped made a really good suggestion regarding monitoring the amount of runoff to ensure a thorough watering. I believe you want the water and/or nutrient solution to penetrate all the way through the entire grow medium. Then, when the top inch or two is dry it's time to think about the next watering. The top couple inches shouldn't be indicative of the moisture level further below but rather a gauge/sign of progressing moisture loss.

I'm pretty sure I under-watered quite a bit during the first half of my grow and am still learning that balance point of wet/dry feeling deep within the containers :)

Good luck. Your grow looks fantastic so far!
/Obi/wan Cannabinoid

Thank you gentleman. I would hate to have water everyday anyway. I will take your advice to heart and change my watering ways.

As always, thanks alot for the insights
Maui

UPDATE:

Thank you all for your support and advice. I think I have the watering thing under control. Checked the girls last night and they were dry so changed my watering to 1 gal per plant. Got runoff from all 3. They are happy and healthy and budding like crazy. And the smell in the tent..... oh my!!

Maui

Maui stopping by to take a look and you have a nice grow going. Girls are looking good. The only time I measure the water is when I'm feeding to get equal amount to each plant. When I water I water to run off and then watch to see if the run off gets sucked back up. If it does I sometimes put a little more in the catch tray to see if it gets sucked up. If it doesn't i know where to stop. right now it's still a little cool in the grow area so I water every 4 days but in the summer I have watered as much as everyday. I water when the pots start getting light.

Thank you sir for stopping by. And thanks for all your input. If there is one thing I have learned over my years is to not get closed minded about things. I know I am a rookie and there for ask all kinds of questions. One has to take some advice with a grain of salt and other advice can be jewels in the rough. (Showing my age here)
There is so much info to absorb and wade through. This has been the best website that I have been to for cannabis. The amount of knowledge here is staggering. All one has to do is ask any of the great members on this site.

I am glad to be here and you are stuck with me know. (Even if you move me to the basement and no pay, I will take my stapler!!)

Maui

Welcome aboard Dadums. Hope you enjoy the ride. I will post new pics next Saturday. That will be 3 weeks in flower. Should be fun to see the difference.

Maui

Back
Top Bottom