Antics Power Flower - Cali Jack FIM Grow

Again? Yeah.. what can I say? I hate taking pictures, yet I like to share what I'm doing at the same time.

This time we're stepping up a bit from Autos. I learned a little since the last grow, and although I wanted to Flux this grow, it's still too advanced for me, and seems a bit intimidating, so plans changed a little.

Royal Queen Power Flower
4 weeks Veg
THC: 19%
CBD: Medium
Genetic background: South African Sativas
Type: Sativa: 88% Indica: 12%
Flowering time: 8-9 weeks

Medicann Cali Jack
3 weeks Veg
THC 15-20%
CBD 4%
Genetic background: Jack Herer x Pre '98 Bubba Kush
Type: Sativa 30% Indica 70%
Flowering time: 9-11 weeks

Indoor or outdoor? Indoor
Soil or Hydro? Soil
If soil... what is in your mix? Just using plain potting soil, I'm reusing the same soil from the last grow, but it has been sifted to remove old root pieces. It's about 70% soil 30% perlite
If soil... What size pot? About 5 gallons
Size of light? 45w and 23w CFLs
Is it aircooled? Yes. Small oscillation fan for circulation, 12"/30cm Holmes fan for ventilation.
Temp of Room/cab? 74-82F 23-28C
RH of Room/cab? 48%-54% RH
PH of media or res? Currently 7.6-7.8 PH I have some PH down on the way right now.
Any Pests ? None.
How often are you watering? About 20 ounces of water every other day, or as needed to maintain moist soil.
Type and strength of ferts used? Blue Planet Nutrients Elite series (3 part) Currently feeding 2.5ml each/ gallon.
Lights - 3-45w 5-23w for Veg

Nothing exciting yet. I have a Nitrogen deficiency due to a higher PH which isn't TOO bad, and the girls should be fine for a few days until my PH down arrives.

Both plants were FIM'ed 3 days ago, and the regrowth has started with no real noticeable stress or shock to either plant.

Power Flower
2014-06-17_09-50-25_625.jpg

Power Flower FIM
2014-06-17_09-47-25_412.jpg

Cali Jack
2014-06-17_09-50-32_403.jpg

Cali Jack FIM
2014-06-17_09-49-17_117.jpg

Subscribed

Hi Antics, I´m here too :popcorn:

Welcome guys! Hopefully I don't screw anything major up so I'll have a nice grow to share. These will be my first photo period plants grown, so I'm pretty excited, and my first FIM, which was a giant step for me. I was looking at the FIM site this morning, and I THINK I see a ton of new nodes, but I could just be getting way ahead of myself. I should know more within 1-2 days I think.

And update! My PH down arrived today!

PH of media or res? 6.7 (Power Flower) and 6.4 (Cali Jack) currently!

I actually thought I might have used too much PH down in my nutes and water, since the PH was about 5.8 after adding a small scoop, oh and I chose the DRY PH down, I read a few folks say it lasted longer than the liquid form. Anyways, after PH'ing my water, I had to water the girls, and the PH ended up right about where I wanted it. And for the price, it's much cheaper than using household items, such as lemon juice.

I'll try to take a few closeup shots of my FIM site on both plants this evening, maybe you guys will have a better eye than I do and can tell me if it was successful, or if I just ended up with a topped plant.

Now I'm off to finish making dinner. General Tso's chicken! (I'm addicted to Chinese food.)

I'm subbed for this one.
I have Power Flower myself growing at the moment, so this will give me an idea what to look for in near future :) Good Luck Antics

Ok pictures as proooomised!

Now they're probably not the best pictures, I'm far from skilled in photography, and closeup pictures are difficult with my phone, but here they are anyways, a top and side view of each FIM site.

Power Flower:
2014-06-18_17-51-14_993.jpg

2014-06-18_09-29-48_763.jpg

Cali Jack:
2014-06-18_17-54-31_277.jpg

2014-06-18_17-56-00_590.jpg

Now I don't know what to look for to see how well the FIM worked or didn't work, but it SEEMS like I have a lot more growth at this site than I've ever seen at any of my nodes on past plants. It almost appears crowded.

What do you guys think? Is it too early to tell if it was successful?

In the second Cali Jack picture, it almost looks like 2 nodes, plus 2 more starting where the two fan leaves meet the stem just below the middle of the picture, and 2 starting nodes on the opposite side of the stem.

When I look at the second Power Flower picture, I see the same thing, but younger. 2 nodes starting above those baby fan leaves, and then on the front side facing us, 2 new nodes starting, and it has 2 on the back also.

Now I've never looked THIS close at my plants growth before, I really didn't have a reason to until now.

I'm subbed for this one.
I have Power Flower myself growing at the moment, so this will give me an idea what to look for in near future :) Good Luck Antics

Welcome :D How many are you growing, and how old? Any pics?

Looking good... i thought fim was more of increasing height.. i didnt know it would create more side growth.. maybe u mean topping?...either way good luck!

Welcome to my journal :D

FIM vs. Topping

The difference between the two is basically where you cut, recovery time (I've read that a FIM recovers faster than topping), and how many stems can grow from it.
When topped correctly, you should have 2 main stems.
When FIM'ed correctly, you should have 4 or more main stems.

So that's where the anxiousness comes in, I can't wait to see if it worked, and I successfully FIM'ed, or if I really did miss, and only get the results that I'd see when topping.

But whatever happens, I'll have more colas, so it's a win-win!

I have only 1 PF going, today is 12th day from sprout. You can find pictures and progress of her in my journal in my signature. By the end of the week I have to decide if I will top or attempt to FIM

Ok, 'FIM' looks more like 'FIRM'. Fuck, I REALLY Missed!. I'm not seeing anything that looks like extra branches. It doesn't even look like it's been topped. Just one center stem on both.

So this is a little annoying right now. I wanted to flower in about a month, and I don't have a FIM completed yet.

ARGH!

Smartass subscribes right after my failed FIM! I'm kidding man :) Welcome to the grow :)

I gotta figure out what the hell to do now. I'm not sure if I want to try another FIM, or if I want to top each plant 3x for a total of 4 colas.

EDIT:

Decision made. FIM attempt #2.
2014-06-21_19-59-27_515.jpg
2014-06-21_19-57-08_232.jpg

damn man... i was to scared to try fim.... u got more courage then i do... live and learn
i hope u get the result.. it would be nice to see how it works....

Are you kidding me? I think the topping, fluxing, and defoliation you did is way more difficult! I was going to flux, but decided it was too advanced for me, so I decided to FIM instead lol

I think it'll be nicer to see IF it even works. The first try failed. If this time fails and doesn't produce a topped effect, I'll wait another week or two, then just top them.

Are you kidding me? I think the topping, fluxing, and defoliation you did is way more difficult! I was going to flux, but decided it was too advanced for me, so I decided to FIM instead lol

I think it'll be nicer to see IF it even works. The first try failed. If this time fails and doesn't produce a topped effect, I'll wait another week or two, then just top them.

They absolutely work, and take it from a very 1st time grower as well- its worth it! :green_heart::passitleft: I Fim'd my largest plant, had more nodes shoot out, and then i backdoored it with a super crop :reading420magazine::rofl: to spread out branches and force the plant to grow more budsites. As the great outdoor cannabis connoisseur Relaxed Lester told me- you just want to pluck the top most growth with your fingers, being careful to leave the leaflets that are growing intact, and that it should easily pop off. I also found cutting half way thru the top growth with sterilized sharp scissors, gets you amazing results! And yes, KingJohnC has large Colas! lol
:420:
Happy Growing!

You can actually top at any node so it is very easy to get 4 or 6 tops on 1 plant. You can see in my KingJohnC Lush Lighting LED Dominator 2x Soil Indoor Grow Journal and Review one of my AK48's has 4 tops that are all large colas.

KingJohnC's Lush Lighting LED Dominator 2x Soil Indoor Grow Journal & Review

Thanks, I'm going through your journal now, page by page. I won't be finished until later on, I have to take my girlfriend and her mother to the airport, and then I've gotta do some work on my girlfriend's truck. So I'll be back in the afternoon some time.
The reason I chose to FIM instead of top, is in comparing them I came across a thread that suggested a plant recovers faster from a FIM than topping. I tried locating the topic again today but couldn't find it. :(

They absolutely work, and take it from a very 1st time grower as well- its worth it! :green_heart::passitleft: I Fim'd my largest plant, had more nodes shoot out, and then i backdoored it with a super crop :reading420magazine::rofl: to spread out branches and force the plant to grow more budsites. As the great outdoor cannabis connoisseur Relaxed Lester told me- you just want to pluck the top most growth with your fingers, being careful to leave the leaflets that are growing intact, and that it should easily pop off. I also found cutting half way thru the top growth with sterilized sharp scissors, gets you amazing results! And yes, KingJohnC has large Colas! lol
:420:
Happy Growing!

I wasn't doubting that the FIM worked, my doubts are if I did it correctly. The first attempt resulted only in stubby leaves as the area where I cut grew out. I had no extra stems growing at all, just the single main stem. "If at first you don't succeed, try, try again". So I gave it another shot. If it doesn't work for me this time, I'll go to plan B. I'm just going to top the plant, assuming that the failed FIM didn't end up just topping the plant.

My goal is 4 colas. So plan B would include topping the main stem, and then topping the two new stems. From there I'll use LST to keep them growing equally.

As for a plant update:
Nutes are being fed 1x a week @ 2.5ml/gallon. Power Flower seems much more sensitive to nute burn, as I have a small amount of burn at the tips of my leaves. I'll be using 75% strength for the next feeding. Absolutely no burn on Cali Jack, which is roughly 1 week younger than Power Flower.

However, Power Flower is growing nice and straight, and really doesn't require turning the pot or adjusting the lights. I can just let it go and she's happy.
Cali Jack is REALLY turning towards the light. CFLs are always 1-2"/2.5-5cm away from the top of the plants. So I'm going to be turning the pots 1/4 turn every morning to keep them growing straight and even.

I'm also considering some supercropping, but I'd also like to start flowering in about 1 month from now. I'm looking at roughly 9 weeks flower on Power Flower, and 9-11 weeks flower on Cali Jack. Although I'm prepared for a much longer flower period, since I'm only using CFLs.

But I'm also hoping the new techniques used in this grow will help me exceed the 8.55, and 9.07 grams yield that I saw on the last 2 harvests.

lol funny how we each have different ideas of whats tough..... and super cropping scares me too....
i might try it next time but just wana get some buds for now....
iv played around with bonsais so iv bent things before...

and i feel that topping does take longer... its been about a month and a half for my project so far... it might be about right....timing wise.. idk... i just see peoples pages and theirs seem to be going faster... w.e.

glad im finding out about this fiming stuff......

:goodluck:

LOL seriously man. Combine the two of us, and we'd grow one hell of a plant.

I was nervous about super cropping as well, but I'm actually watching some videos on KingJohnC's grow, that he posted from you tube, and there's one video, the guy goes over topping, FIM, supercropping, lolly popping, and monster cropping.

Here's his grow: KingJohnC's Lush Lighting LED Dominator 2x Soil Indoor Grow Journal & Review The videos are all the way at the bottom of that page, it should link you to page 36 in his grow for the videos. The 2nd video, the guy makes supercropping look really easy, so I'm thinking about trying it at least on a branch or two, to see if I did it right, and I can decide if I want to do more, or not from there.

Picture update on the 2nd FIM attempt.

It SEEMS like it worked this time. I took a general plant size picture, and then a close up of the FIM site on each. You can clearly see the dark area where it was cut, and in between the 3 dark areas, which would have been the main stem, and 2 fan leaves, there appears to be new growth. The new growth on Power Flower seems to be growing much faster than Cali Jack, and is already above the level of the cut. On Cali Jack only one of the new growth nubs is above the level I made the FIM cut.

Power Flower:
2014-06-24_05-32-55_845.jpg

2014-06-24_05-35-04_830.jpg

Cali Jack:
2014-06-24_05-38-39_903.jpg

2014-06-24_05-39-32_523.jpg

The stem you see sticking up in the pictures of the FIM sites is the fan leaf petiole on the other side of the stem, it's not a vertical growing stem.

So far so good! And it has been 2.5 days since the newest FIM attempt cut was made.

Back
Top Bottom