Outdoors/Greenhouse - Dual Root Zone (DRZ) Aquaponics - Autoflowers - Winter 2015

SAMtheAPman

So the first grow went well... over 6lb in total. Just going into winter now so I thought I'd try some autoflowers. It gets cold-ish here over winter, but not frosts, snow or freezing. Will be interesting to see how the plants go.

Strains (one each of):

Red Poison (Sweet Seeds)
Dark Devil (Sweet Seeds)
Big Devil XL (Sweet seeds)
Buddha Magnum (Buddha Seeds)
Think Differently (Dutch Passion)

Going to try to make myself a male Buddha Magnum too, under an LED, inside. Save some pollen and make a branch of seeds on each plant (too much trouble to get them delivered - the last order got lost/seized, then re-sent to a different state and posted domestically - took over 6 weeks - but thanks to Herbies for the free resend!).

That's the plan anyway. It was too hot in the tent over summer, so couldn't use it but I reckon it's cool enough now.

If you want an info about my set up, check out my previous journal: SAM's DRZ Aquaponics Mixed Strain Grow Journal - 2014

Great line up of strains you've got there!

Main reason for these choices is that I wanted to grow some purps. Didn't want to wait until next season so that's why they're autos. But I also didn't want to harvest just an oz.... that's why there's the Magnum and Think Differently in there, for a bit of size.

I'm hoping that when I cross the Magnum with the Red Poison and Dark Devil, I'll end up getting larger autos with purple flowers. It's really just a bit of trial and error though.

It begins....

red-poison.jpg

Mind you, I think it's going to be a lot slower than the last grow... with the cool weather and all.

Here's a shot of one of my last photo-period plants (CBD Critical Cure). This one wasn't actually in the aquaponics. It started inside (in a small tent) but it got too hot so was moved outside. Got a couple of nanners so am trying to pollinate another couple of plants to get some seeds. We'll see how it goes...

cbd-critical-cure.jpg

Well here's an example of a definite advantage of growing in optimum conditions...

18 days - Buddha Magnum Auto growing outside, maybe 5-6hrs direct sun/day, temps range from 50-80 degrees F:

buddha-magnum-outside.jpg

16 days - Buddha Magnum Auto growing inside, 24hr 300W LED, temps range from 75-85 degrees F:

buddha-magnum-inside.jpg

And now the torture begins... started spraying the indoor Buddha Magnum with 50ppm colloidal silver today (day 23). Hopefully it will turn male this time. My last couple of attempts (different strains) didn't work. But I was doing it outside and leaving my CS spray bottle on a bench which got a lot of sun - which I recently read may have degraded the CS.

buddha-magnum-23-days.jpg

The Dark Devil is coloring up nicely:

dark-devil1.jpg

All of them have come along:

5xAuto.jpg

It's amazing to see the growth speed up as the plants get more leaves. Still not as fast as Spring/Summer, but it looks like this Autumn/Winter grow will still produce.

Not having much luck with the Buddha Magnum that I'm trying to turn male. It has been sprayed 2-3 times a day for 18 days and all I'm seeing are pistils. I just ran out of CS so that's it. I have started messing with the light cycle as well... turning it on and off at random times to see if I can crack it. Bit of a waste if it doesn't work...

Subbed.
Glad I found this, Sam. Want to do greenhouse made of shade cloth (stealth/shade) this summer..think we're in similar timezone..maybe same city??.. Will be growing veges also.. Edible stealth.
Couple of questions: in your completed journal, you seem to have gotten huge plants from smallish pots...what size you usually use? Do you feel like your autos would've done better in full sun? Have one going now, started outdoors in beginning of May and heavily tied down but slow growth (cold or LST) forced indoors. Looks great but just showing multi pistils now at day 45..Seems really slow but still maybe good for half OZ..fingers crossed.
Also, if you are where I think you are (east-side fair dinkum!), can you recommend a seedbank? I've had 2 deliveries with bonza "buddy", but a bit expensive..
Cheers :thumb:
edit: remembered another question..
Your fish-water.... You just use it straight? How many fish in there... ? I make my own compost; would a small fish tank with a couple of goldfish be of any use to augment compost or do you reckon need to go bigger/more. I know nothing about fish, except that it can be an expensive hobby! So any advice.....
Cheers again.

Hey santb, good to have you along. This journal isn't updated as much as my previous one because everything is growing my slower now it's winter.

Not sure of the exact pot size, I've used a few different sizes. The largest would probably be about 7-8 gallons (26-30L). But, all of my pots have holes drilled in the bottom half so the roots can grow out into the grow bed.

All plants would do better in full sun. The autos in particular were very sensitive to nutrients and I burned them. As well as over watered. From what I've read, many autos take longer than the breeder specifies (even when grown under optimal conditions indoors).

The are currently about 70 fish in the tank, 10 are quite large (over 30cm) and the rest are smaller. The water is recirculated through the grow beds so yes, it is used straight. I have had one of these systems set up with goldfish before and I didn't get the same results. I don't think their poo is as good as other species, but, I'm sure it would still be beneficial for a compost heap. But it would probably be easier just getting chook or cow manure.

You might find shade cloth blocks out too much sun. Look for proper greenhouse film/plastic if possible.

I have purchased from Bonza as well, but nowadays buy solely from Herbies Seeds

Cheers for that... Maybe the fish mite be a bit too much mucking around! My compost is pretty good; only good stuff in and getting quite aged now... You use any other nutes? Still trying to decide about the shade cloth.. Want to grow some veges/herbs/flowers in it also; have read that 30% shade is ok here, mainly cos the full summer sun here is scorching; there is enough light w/30% so that the sting is taken out, but air flow is good and temps are slightly milder...I plan on shaded and unshaded beds, so we'll see. Only one way to find out I guess.
Tried Herbies couple of years ago unsuccessfully twice. Beans were seized or stolen. They were good; even got a refund so good on Herbies. There was a rumour on the forums (fora?) that Auspost staff were recognizing the packaging and pocketing beans. I don't quite believe that; unless all the staff are in on it, that would be a shite-load of envelopes to smuggle out for one or 2 blokes. Oh well. Only used Bonza cos of the "buddy" option. It works, but it's like $30 bucks for post alone.
Can you say which post option you use with Herbies? Not the details, obviously, just the price or what they call it..
Cheers again. Your veges look great also!

Didn't realise you could get 30%. That should work fine, especially in summer.

I think it's just luck of the draw if it gets through or not. I had one from Herbies not get to me (no letter from customs either), but they were nice enough to resend it free of charge. Had it sent to a different address in a different state then forwarded (like the "buddy" option but I organised it).

Herbie's stealth postal method is as good as anyone's (would never use the "signed" option). Don't think that rumor is correct. Too much mail, not enough time.

Additives for water/grow beds: magnesium, potassium, iron, calcium, boron, liquid seaweed.

Additives for DRZ pots: guano (phosphorus) - if too much of this gets into the fish tank, algae will grow; if the plants were grown directly in the grow beds (without any phosphorus), then bud development would be reduced. I did use some blood meal last grow too, but I don't think it's really needed. There's worm castings and some chook pellets/poo in the homemade potting mix too.

Oh yeah, and watering the pots/plants Sprouted Seed Tea (SST) every once in a while.

Awesome your own "buddy". That's what I need. Yeah the logistics and risk of stealing all those seeds just seems unlikely. I guess customs are slightly better at their job than some would like to admit. Cheers for advice on additives.. Where do you get guano? And what type? Can't find it here, although haven't tried a hydro shop yet..
The 30% is usually white also... Apparently this also helps refract the light that gets thru in all different directions which is beneficial. (??}

Back
Top Bottom