Jackweeds Blue Treacle & Sweet Cheese Space Bucket

JackWeed

First off, would just like to say hi to everyone! This is my first attempt at growing anything, let alone weed, so bear with me...

I've gone with a custom Space Bucket grow using 20 litre buckets with Mylar on the inside, 4x 23w CFL'S pulling out 2500k (1600 lumens each) which are inside the bucket lid/top. I'll be using spacers made from other bucket tops stacked together as the plant gets bigger..

Going to swap two of the CFLS some time next week for 6500k during veg stage, although perhaps i can go all the way through on just the 2500? I'm not expecting massive yields, but will try to get as much off these as possible.

Eventually I plan to do SCROG when they get bigger, and get a nice canopy going so they fill the bucket as much as possible.

As you might have noticed, there's two different plants at the moment, only one will be grown inside the bucket though! Reason I've got two seedlings in there at the minute is because the 1st seedling i kind of screwed up with.

Basically the blue treacle (named Sally) was almost fried when i put her 2-3 inches away from all 4 of the CFL lights...lesson 1 learned!

One of the cotyledons is almost gone, and she looks a sorry state, but after some massive amounts of TLC I think she might now make it?

Sally's almost 1 week old, and you can see from the pic below she's suffered...so because i thought she might not make it I started off a Sweet Cheese Feminized, called Cinnamon!

So now both seedlings seem to be doing well I'm at a conundrum as to what to do next...or rather which one is going to used for this particular grow.

Cinnamon is just 1 day old and looks a picture of health...so far.

Anyway, i now have both seedlings under 2 CFL'S and two 220v fans for the exhaust and intake. Don't have them running constantly at the minute due to my temp/humidity gauge not being delivered yet, so I've got the exhaust on a timer pulling out hot air for 10 minutes every 2 hrs...this acts as a vacuum and turns the intake fan to draw in fresh air.

Next bit i need to sort out is the carbon filter which I'll just get the bro to do one at work as a custom jobby, attach it to the light top exhaust fan, along with some flexi duct and tape it to the window ledge so it blows the hot ((and eventually stinky)) air straight outside.

Potting soil is Canna Terra Pro Plus, got some organic seaweed, and also plan on getting some more nutrients next week, at the moment they'll be fine with just water.

In the white pot is Sally, and Cinnamon is in the black pot:

DSC_012128.JPG

DSC_011519.JPG

DSC_011416.JPG

DSC_011315.JPG

DSC_011218.JPG

And closeup of the damage done to Sally from too much heat:

DSC_0115_03.png

Due to Sally being an auto, dunno if this would be beneficial to carry on with? Should I dump her and concentrate on Cinnamon which is not an auto, or take Cinnamon out of the bucket and place her on the window sill and persevere with Sally?

The Blue Treacle Seedling was soaked in a cup of water and then planted straight to soil, took around 3 days to pop up, whereas the Sweet Cheese was soaked in wet paper towel with a squirt of organic seaweed and some normal tap water that had been standing for 48hrs, folded paper towel up, placed in a bag and in a dark room for 24 hrs.

Root had popped out by then so planted directly to soil and it was out of the ground the very next day. Next step is to put a bit more soil in the Sweet Cheese pot, so it covers the stem a bit more:

DSC_0121_03.png

Day 6 - Freshly watered last night, growing well. Amazing how much it's growing really and no problems so far...

Day_6b.JPG

Can see a small bunch of new leaves starting to appear aswell. The Blue Treacle has improved also, just fed it some liquid seaweed again, plants seem to be loving that stuff! She's now back in the bucket as we've not been getting much sun.

DSC_015317.JPG

Still waiting on the temp/humidity gauge to arrive...so have no idea on the conditions inside the bucket yet..but can't be that bad by the looks of things. The Blue Treacle is stunted but that's probably due to the early burning incident and the fact it pretty much only had 1 cotyledon.

Day 7 - Busy one today! Noticed that the Sweet Cheese has roots popping out of the container she's in so i've transplanted her to her final home, which is a 5 litre pot. Everything went ok, but no room for the Blue Treacle seedling any more...so we'll be concentrating on the cheese.

Before Transplant:

DSC_015712.JPG

After Transplant:

DSC_016413.JPG

Temp and humidity gauge came aswell so now I can find out what sort of environment old cinnamon is growing up in. I've got all 4 23 watt cfl's on her now and both fans running. Temp is 29.2 degrees Celsius and humidity (plant has just been watered) at 43%.

Those readings have been taken at plant level:

DSC_016611.JPG

I'll monitor the humidity levels over the next few hours and see if that rises.

Well, for how old the seedling is, I've decided to go with two lights on her for now and the exhaust fan blowing, that puts the temp on: 25.6 degrees celcius and the humidity at 56%. Nice little Humidity chart here aswell:

Week 1 growth: 60%
Week 2 growth: 60%
Week 1 flower: 55%
Week 2 flower: 50%
Week 3 flower: 50%
Week 4 flower: 50%
Week 5 flower: 50%
Week 6 flower: 45%
Week 7 flower: 45%
Week 8 flower: 40%
Week 9 flower: 40%

At around 2 weeks in I'll add another light, and then 3 weeks onwards we'll go with all the lights on and both fans running. That should keep the humidity at the right level for the age of the plant...I think?

So, we're now on day 9 and no problems to report. There is a small pinhole in one of the leaves but think that may have been caused by a droplet of water acting as a magnifying glass?

9 Day Old Sweet Cheese Seedling:

DSC_000285.JPG

Close Up Of Pinhole In Leaf:

DSC_0002_03.png

Temps and humidity are all fine, and she doesn't even seem to be suffering from transplant shock. Won't need watering for another day or so.

Seedling is now 11 days old and growing well with no problems so far. First set of 5 leaves have grown, so I'll be topping the plant. We'll do a 4 way LST ready for a scrog using LBH's Famous ScrOG Tutorial.

11 Day Old Sweet Cheese Seedling Before Topping:

DSC_001751.JPG

After Topping:

DSC_002049.JPG

We'll see how this goes over the next few days and I'll post updates when the two new branches have grown and thickened a bit.

Remember I've never grown a damn thing in my life so this is all new to me. All I'm doing is gathering information on what works, and applying the principles....so if it fails, at least I gave it my best shot!

Here's another shot that was taken a few hours after I topped the plant:

DSC_002143.JPG

It's still growing so everything I've done seems to be working and I haven't killed it. Have to be honest though it took nerves to pull off that main stem with the leaves attached...felt like I was butchering it...got so attached to her...lol!

She's 2 weeks old today and growing like mad! Noticed a minty smell last night too, so probably need to do the carbon filter on the weekend when the other fan arrives:

2_Week_Old_Sweet_Cheese.JPG

And as soon as those 2 main stems and secondaries have grown bigger I'll pin them down and sort out the scrog net. Bucket now has another fan blowing over the top of the plant, which has put the temps down, humidity is around 35-40%.

The 6500k CFL's should be here tomorrow, so will need to swap 2 of the 2500k over and start on the nutes. Not been watered as still enough in the pot by the feel of things.

16 days in, getting bushier now! reckon another few days and I'll be able to pin those stems down. Gave her a light spray of water and liquid seaweed last night, but will probably need a good watering later on:

16_Day_Old_Sweet_Cheese.JPG

She's now under 2 23watt 2500k CFL's and 2 30watt 6500 CFL's, no nutes yet, but they'll be here on Monday so that will be her first feeding. Noticed some brownish spotting on lower leaves, but nothing major, presume that's due to it not being fed yet:

DSC_0037_03.png

I've also transplanted it into another slightly bigger yet shallower container than the previous one, which will give it a bit more room, and cleaned the inside of the bucket with anti bac just to keep things neat and tidy.

On that close up pic above you'll also see small black bits on the leaves, which is dirt as she got covered a bit during the transplant process!

16_Day_Old_Sweet_Cheese_-_Top_View.JPG
16_Day_Old_Sweet_Cheese_-_Side_View.JPG

As i mentioned at the beginning of the journal, this is a Space Bucket grow due to lack of space at the moment, but it's not a bad setup.

Have two intake fans pulling air from an open window using ducting (top of each inlet is covered by a popsock to stop hairs and other particles coming in, and an exhaust pipe at the top expelling the hot air way and out that open window again:

Space_Bucket.JPG

((Think that cabinet on the left needs a bloody good dusting!!))

The exhaust pipe in the top is made from cans, with a fine mesh 3/4ths of the way down, in here I'll put some activated carbon in to get rid of the smell, and attach the flexi ducting to that along with another fan, so it will have two fans pulling that hot air out:

Space_Bucket_Exhaust_Ready_For_Activated_Carbon_Filter.JPG

This is how it will look in the end:

Space_Bucket_With_Intakes_Exhaust_Attached.JPG

The fine mesh inside the exhaust is made from a strainer I found lying around in the kitchen...it should work at removing the smells as long as it has a double fan system.

18 days in, still going well, gonna hold back on the first feed until Thursday as I only watered her on the weekend. Pinned the main and secondary stems down today and installed the ScroG net:

18_Day_Old_Sweet_Cheese_After_Pinning_Down_Ready_For_SCROG.JPG

The SCROG net is installed about 4 inches away from the top of the plant:

18_Day_Old_Sweet_Cheese_Few_Hrs_After_Pinning_Down_Ready_For_SCROG.JPG

Also finished off the exhaust, and put some activated carbon inside, along with 2nd fan so we have one fan pushing air out through the carbon and the other pulling it...It smelt great when I was doing the pinning down!

We're now just into 22 days of veg, I've fed 1ml of liquid seaweed and 1 ml of BioBizz Bio-Grow diluted with 1 litre of water, that was on Tuesday, she's had a watering since then aswell..getting very thirsty:

22_Day_Old_Sweet_Cheese.JPG

No problems to report apart from one of the exhaust fans seems to have burned out...I've replaced the 30 watt 6500k CFL's with 23 watt 2500k now and reduced lights on to 16/8.

I'll keep her in veg now until week 4 and then switch to 12/12 flowering...by then it should be above the SCROG net. She would have been above the net today but i repinned her down again to give a bit more light to the lower foilage.

Well, still not above the net yet...but almost there! We're on week 4 of veg, 14/10 lights..was going to move into 12/12 today but think i'll leave it till she's a few inches above the net.:

4_Week_Old_Sweet_Cheese.JPG

Amazed that so far I've had no problems with the grow, apart from 2 of the fans burning out...both the same make, so refund off the seller and another 2 ordered. Still got exhaust and intake fans running though. (normally has 4 fans going)

Been fed twice now and i watered her today, along with some defoliation of a few leaves from below that were either dead or not getting enough light. Didn't affect her at all so happy with that.

Back
Top Bottom