First Time Grow Journal - Outside - Kaya Gold & Freebies

KodiakKid

Hi everyone. Thanks so much to those who have helped so far and encouraged me to start a grow journal. Pardon me for starting in the middle. I have a long way to go and know I will need help and support. So here goes. I have four plants outside. Two are in the ground. Two are in containers on my patio in the Portland, Oregon area. I think I will make two posts introducing two plants each time to start. I am a first time grower who just turned 60. I have experience growing vegetable for most of my life. But this is so different in many ways. The first two are in the ground in my mostly organic garden. These two are about 9 weeks from emergence.

One is a freebie that appears to this newbie to be a sativa. It is right at five feet tall. It is skinny with large gaps between nodes. It first showed itself to be a female over two weeks ago. I already have a question. The preflower pistils are turning brown already. Especially the first ones that showed. You know, the ones that appear first. One or two at each node.

The second plant is a also a girl. It showed about the same as the other. This is a Kaya Gold. It is just over four feet tall and about that much wide. Yeah, I know I planted them too close together. Both seedlings were nearly goners. And now they are my two most vigorous and largest girls. Here is the picture with the first two girls. They are so different. I know the picture does not show it, but the Kaya has fans that are about as big as a dinner plate.

IMG_017945.JPG

I didn't talk about nutes in the first post. I'm using the Botanicare line. I use Liquid Karma as per leaflet every watering. I have gotten mixed information on whether at 8-9 weeks I should be using the Bloom nute or keep using the Grow as we are outside in soil. Any help on that would be appreciated. I've also been told by a friend I should supplement now with Bat Guano and Molasses. Help!

Hi Kodiak. I followed you over from Uptheholler's thread. Will definitely stick around (though the number of journals I'm subscribed to now is gone way beyond ridiculous ha ha). I've been growing for a few years now but until recently didn't have internet where I lived- just an old book I found and another grower who taught me some wrong things and a few right things. So I was a bit short on knowledge and made a lot of mistakes. Am playing catch-up now that I'm on 420. So I might be a little short on 'expert' advice but probably have learned a thing or two along the way so far. I use Botanicare too.
I'm growing indoors and I start using the bloom, along with some grow, when I switch to flowering, or about a week in sometimes. I see from the all powerful info-net that in Oregon you are just now starting to dip below below 14 hours daylight. That is what gets cannabis plants blooming.
I would probably just keep them on the grow nutes till you're convinced that they are starting to flower. No need to worry to much about that subject, in my opinion anyway- I think you'll be fine sticking with grow. Different people mix the grow/bloom ratio differently for the transition phase but ultimately I don't think it's going to make a huge difference.
I don't think you 'need' to supplement with bat guano and molasses. If the reason for that idea is that your plants are flowering - they aren't flowering yet. And if something isn't broke- no need to go fixing it till it is. On the other hand there is more than one way to skin a cat and a little bat dung and molasses probably won't hurt if you go easy. That thread- the Mountain -has some great outdoor growers on it who could answer this better than me (though they're all busy as hell this time of year).
I say- keep calm and carry on

Thanks so much for following weaselcracker. I don't know much, but I agree with the notion that if something ain't broke you don't need to fix it. I know that being outdoors the plants will do what they will do. And they aren't flowering yet. Just sexually mature. I'm going to just water them and feed them with the grow until they are flowering. I've never witnessed that, but I assume I will know when it is happening. And I will keep posting here. Thanks so much for you interest.

Yeah you'll see those growing tips start to form flowers - it's pretty obvious. They don't need our help doing it, as much as we usually think they do, so just relax and enjoy those beauties and spend your time reading up. :thumb:

How many ml per gallon of grow are you using, out of curiosity? And- what are your bloom nutes called - is it power flower? They keep changing their formula. Or at least the name of it...

It is called Pure Blend Pro Grow. And I'm using 15 ml per gallon. The bloom is called Pure Blend Pro Bloom soil formula. Recommended dose is 20-25 ml per gallon. I'm also using Liquid Karma max dose 10 ml per gallon. Might be a waste on the Karma, but it ain't hurting them. I'm doing the grow every other water. And now the two in the ground need water about every 4-5 days with the hot weather we have. The two in the 8 gal. pots need water ever 3 days or so now. Same, nutes every other water. My issue is how to nute the ones in the ground. I'm used to watering tomatoes and such. I water the hell out of them when they need it with a little sprinkler. Deep water every 5-7 days for a half an hour. So I don't know how to do that with the cannabis. How many gallons of water with the nutes. One in the ground seems a little pale but growing fine. Just don't know how many gallons with the nutes. I've been supplementing water with the sprinkler. Should I push the nutes?

On the flip side, which you will see when I post the pics of the container plants, I have backed off the nutes a little. They are not burning, but are a little dark green for my rookie eye. One thing though that I have learned in my short time now that they are getting big is NOT to underwater. All things say rookies overwater, but I think that is a seedling issue. These girls are in a very light soil mix that I supplemented with 30% or so of perlite and drain fast. I'm watering those two now every three days, and man I think I could go every other day.

Here are my second two girls. Both of these are Kaya Gold. Just over 9 weeks from emerging from seed. They are in 8 gallon containers. The medium is Kellog Patio Plus organic soil mix. They both went into the big pots a little early due to issues I had with crappy medium in the 1 gallon pots. After a short period and careful watering the in the big pots they recovered and took off. I started feeding them with Botanicare Pro Grow after about 3 weeks in the pots. They are green and growing. They showed sex about 2 weeks ago. I'm still feeding with Grow every other water. They need watering about every 3-4 days. One is rapidly getting to 4' tall, the other several inches less. They are outdoors on my patio in the Portland Oregon area. I do have a question. When should I start feeding bloom? I'm not guessing until another couple weeks? Being new, I have no idea.

IMG_021543.JPG

I wouldn't worry about bloom nutes till you see definite signs of flowering. The bloom nutes suit the needs of flowering cannabis better- but they won't 'cause' flowering in any way.

Here is a plant I put into flowering ten days ago. This is around the stage of early flowering where I'd be giving bloom nutes, along with 5ml/gallon of grow. It's in a scrog screen obviously so looks a bit different but the flowering signs are fairly universal. You can see that the growing tips are bunching together and starting to form flowering buds. It's pretty hard to miss. There's no particular urgency around the feeding of the bloom nutes and when to start adding them. Patience, young grasshopper.

image30959.jpg

Your plants look great. :thumb: it's possible that they're showing early flowering signs at the tips but it's hard to tell. You'll find out.
Is you area very humid? Think you'll be facing mold issues this fall?

Hello KK! Great looking plants. Liquid Karma is mostly a humic/fulvic acid blend....used by plant for uptake. Your plants are very healthy so shouldn't need LK with every feeding. Outdoors you won't know when transition starts (vs. light switch indoors) so I start transition feeding outside before I see pistils coming out of top of buds. Since your plants are so green (plenty of N), consider switching to your PBP Bloom now. Molasses is food for microbes so good anytime. I use from early veg up to last couple of wks. of bloom. Various bat & seabird guanos are basically my bloom foods w/ occasional shot of fish fertilizer, but if you decide to add guanos along with the PBP, be careful as combo can burn. PBP has humates/chelates in it for fast uptake. PBP & other liquid lines are intended to be potent, fast acting & can burn.

I saw you stopped by my place so thanks for dropping in. I'm at 37º N & generally see bloom 2nd part of July into early Aug. This yr. had a couple of very early girls. I think I answered some of your questions....happy to help anytime if you need. You're doing great man!:Namaste:

Thanks for the input, Weaselcracker! I am worrying about everything, but I am particularly concerned about what our weather will be come Oct 1 or so. It isn't particularly humid here in the summer, but in the fall it can become humid in the form of rain. October is a crap shoot normally but I have a feeling the weather will hold this year thru October. That is what the weather guys think anyway. It has been about the hottest and driest summer on record here.

And cut back on the LK. I'll run out soon anyway. Should I just discontinue it when its gone?

LK is expensive.....maybe save it for your next run. Seedlings & young plants would benefit from it. Ok to include some guano, but keep dose on the low side if used together w/ PBPB or alternate. If you're getting a little nervous about your weather & finishing, consider forced flower. Just put plants in dark room or cover for 12 hrs./day. Bloom will start.

Thanks brightlights. I think I'm going to let nature take its course this time. Or leave the two in the ground as is, and take the other two indoors if the weather turns to shit. I am basically not too nervous about the weather, and this is not a commercial venture. So I would rather see what happens in a natural environment if possible. I think it would be very instructive, and I am a risk taker. BYW, I read someone saying you should NEVER touch your plants unless you are transplanting or it is otherwise necessary. I touch my plants every day more than once with a good shake or too to get rid of bugs. And pet them a time or two to tell them how much I love them. Seems to be working.....

Thanks for adding a little (lot) more outdoor experience to my attempts here, Brightlight. My climate is basically too wet to grow well outdoors, unfortunately. Any decent buds are at extreme risk of mold.
I'm going to run over to your journal to see if you are using Botanicare there. I'm always curious how other people use it.
Edit- if you are I didn't see any mention of it...

Hello KK! Great looking plants. Liquid Karma is mostly a humic/fulvic acid blend....used by plant for uptake. Your plants are very healthy so shouldn't need LK with every feeding. Outdoors you won't know when transition starts (vs. light switch indoors) so I start transition feeding outside before I see pistils coming out of top of buds. Since your plants are so green (plenty of N), consider switching to your PBP Bloom now. Molasses is food for microbes so good anytime. I use from early veg up to last couple of wks. of bloom. Various bat & seabird guanos are basically my bloom foods w/ occasional shot of fish fertilizer, but if you decide to add guanos along with the PBP, be careful as combo can burn. PBP has humates/chelates in it for fast uptake. PBP & other liquid lines are intended to be potent, fast acting & can burn.

I saw you stopped by my place so thanks for dropping in. I'm at 37º N & generally see bloom 2nd part of July into early Aug. This yr. had a couple of very early girls. I think I answered some of your questions....happy to help anytime if you need. You're doing great man!:Namaste:

Thanks for adding a little (lot) more outdoor experience to my attempts here, Brightlight. My climate is basically too wet to grow well outdoors, unfortunately. Any decent buds are at extreme risk of mold.
I'm going to run over to your journal to see if you are using Botanicare there. I'm always curious how other people use it.
Edit- if you are I didn't see any mention of it...

Thanks W! I used Botanicare in the past. Got more & more into soil & organics so didn't need a nutrient line anymore. Botanicare PBP line is pretty good, but they wouldn't answer some questions re chelates & product make up, which is only negative on them from me. I still use a little Sweet toward the end when I sub it in for molasses.:Namaste:

Brightlight, I do have a technical question. The sativa in the ground in my first picture on the left side. The tall one. It is growing tall and skinny. Big gaps between nodes, almost 6 inches. I know it is getting late, but is this o.k.? Is there something I can or should do? I'm not fretting, but rather am trying to learn as much as I can. The girl is almost as tall as I am. She's growing up about 2-3 inches a day and by this time tomorrow will be taller than I am. She was a freebie with my other seeds. Don't know what strain. Otherwise everything continues well as we get less and less light. I move the two in pots to chase the sun, but we're down to about 6 hours of good sun in my backyard which is sw exposure. Wish I could put them in the front.

Back
Top Bottom