1st Time Outdoor Grow

esiarf

Ok, so I already started this grow but thought I'd go ahead and start a journal from this point on.

Backstory: I bought 10 medijuana seeds from ams plus the 20 free seeds in April. I germinated all of the seeds in wet paper towels and all seeds popped. I then planted the germed seeds outside. 3 came up, a deer killed 1 and another one simply died one day so I'm left with 1 surviving plant outside from the original batch from one of the free seeds. I gave it a really weak solution of mg tomato ferts a couple of weeks ago and gave her a stronger shot of it a couple of days ago. It seems a lot smaller than what is should be in my mind for being 2 months old, do outdoor plants veg a lot slower from seedlings? Here's a pic of her from a couple of days ago when I gave her the ferts, it's only about a foot tall:
oldplant.jpg

Here's a better shot of her today, sorry about the blurry pics, I have parkinson's so it's tough to hold the camera steady:
oldplant2.jpg

So I thought I'd give it another go and order the same thing again, this time I not only germed inside I also sprouted in a jiffy box of peat pellets. All but a couple sprouted. I grew the seedlings inside for about a week then transplanted outdoors, this time I dug 2 foot holes with a post hole digger and filled them in with mg organic soil mixed up with some of the original soil broken up in it (We have heavy clay soil).

All seemed fine for a few days but deer had dug up and killed 6, then for what ever reason the rest all just dried up and died after a good strong storm except 1. The one survivor was the only one not put in mg soil as I had run out by the time I got to her, again it was from one of the free seeds. All went fine with the one survivor for a few days until another good storm came along, the next day it was laying on it's side and had lost a fan leaf. I propped it back up and mounded some soil around the stem to keep it up and it seemed to take off again. But of course we had yet another strong storm a couple days later and the stem completely snapped off. Now I'm not sure if this will work or not but I took the top and dipped the remaining stem in rooting powder and put it in a peat pellet soaked in a really weak starting solution in a jiffy box. Here's a pic of her just taken tonight, I found it broken yesterday afternoon so it's been over 24 hours since it broke:
transplant31.jpg

Do you guys think it will reroot or do you think it's done for?

So, now that I've lived and learned with the first 2 attempts the 3rd time has to be a charm right? I'll get another batch of 10+20 free, but this time I think I'll go with big bud and grow them a lot longer in the house until I'm ready for them to flower, I'm getting a couple of 4' 8bulb t5's coming to grow them under in a 8'x6' room. I may keep some in the house and finish flowering with the t5's just to see the difference between the actual sun and the t5 red bulbs for flowering. I considered getting fox farms soil online but it's pretty cashy, so instead I'm thinking of buying some bags of top soil and mixing in some peat moss, perolite, and worm castings instead.

Also, have any of you ever used the mg tomato fert? If so, how often do you recommend giving it?

I didn't realize how much the top leaves grew in the last 2 days until I put the 2 pictures next to each other on here. Maybe the mg tomato fertilizer is helping.

Ok, here's a pic of the old plant a today:
oldplant618.jpg

And here's a pic of the stem:
oldplantstem618.jpg

Now, as I mentioned before I planted several germed seeds without using any extra soil on the first attempt, so just for kicks I thought I would revisit some of the spots that never came up. In 2 of the spots I found these, these can't be mj can they? I mean they kind of look like it from the leaves but the stems look like vines and are several feet long just sitting on the tall grass around it, the stem is purple and all skinny. What's your opinions?
whatisthis.jpg

If this really is some wacko weed that grew crazy due to neglect maybe I can revive it, but this has to be something else right? If it really is mj I planted 2 next to each other in both of these spots, and coincidentally I have 2 of these growing next to each other in each spot. So I have 4 of these crazy things growing out there. They're right along a treeline where it gets full morning sun all day but not much afternoon sun. I forgot all about these 2 spots after 2 weeks and no sprouts, not sure what made me drive up by them today. If these are mj they were planted the same day that the one that is doing well, but they damn sure don't look anything alike. These would also be from the free seeds I got from ams.

On a side note, the plant that broke off that I brought in the house still seems to look good, still green and leaves aren't sagging at all. Hopefully the remaining stem will reroot after dipping it in the rooting powder. It's been over 48 hours now since it broke off.

Are you sure English Ivy? This is what English Ivy looks like:
englishivy.jpg

Maybe it's virginia creeper with just really pointy leaves?

Has anyone here done a grow with the ams free seeds? Just curious if they're even worth anything. From what I've read they're a hybrid but haven't found any actual yield or smoke reports on them.

Just ordered my next batch of seeds from ams, decided to stick with the medijuana.
This time they will all live and all be females right lol?

Thanks setting sun, hopefully I'm done learning by trial and error and I'll have some good results out of this next batch. My sunblaze 4' 8 bulb t5 fluorescent should be here soon too.

Wow, this thing is growing like a weed now lol (pun intended).
Every couple of days there's new stuff to look at, these pics are 5 days after the very first pic at the top of the thread, and five days after the first full strength mg tomato fert feeding. The growth is for sure noticeable, here's a few pics:
oldplant620.jpg

oldplant6202.jpg

oldplant6203.jpg

On a side note the plant that broke off from it's stem is still seemingly doing ok considering several days after the incident. The one half leaf is turning yellow but the rest of the leaves are still a good dark green and it doesn't seem to be sagging at all, do you guys think that thing will reroot or am I just wasting my time? Also, I looked at the stem it broke off of and it still seems to be growing, will it grow new leaves on it?

On a side note the plant that broke off from it's stem is still seemingly doing ok considering several days after the incident. The one half leaf is turning yellow but the rest of the leaves are still a good dark green and it doesn't seem to be sagging at all said:
Considering that some guys here have described plants surviving after having lights fall on them and split them in half, I would say it's not a waste of time to try to salvage it.

One means of controlling plant height is to crush and bend the main stem down, sometimes multiple times, so this plant adapts adapts to and survives some pretty severe insults.

regards,

setting sun

Has anyone here done a grow with the ams free seeds? Just curious if they're even worth anything. From what I've read they're a hybrid but haven't found any actual yield or smoke reports on them.

couldnt tell you but I can say that I got horrible germ rates from my ams free seeds then the ones that made it died.

One of my big bud x northern light seeds was crushed in shipping even though they state that they ship in crushproof containers.

After I contacted them about my issues I received a reply that was unintelligible I think they said bugger off basically but the english was so bad I couldnt tell I tried to ask for clarification but of course you cant reply to thier emails not worth my time Ill shop elsewhere next time.

BTW your 2 month old looks like my 2 week old so yah maybe a little stunted but once they get a little bigger they take off

Ok, so the broken plant died, never would reroot.
So down to my last plant out of the first 60 seeds lol (man I suck).
Just checked on it today and it's growing well I think but it seems I have a major bug problem so I'm going to go out and spray with some garden safe 3 in 1. A grasshopper was hangin out on the top of the plant when I showed up today so I have a feeling they are the main culprits. Here's some pics:
oldplant71.jpg

oldplant71top.jpg

I also got some superthrive I'm going to try out with my next fert feed, I've heard some good things about it.

I finally got my first 4' 8 bulb t5 yesterday with 6500k bulbs, my next batch of seeds should be here in the next couple of days so I can get started again. This time I'm going to grow indoors until I'm ready to start flowering, I'll move all but a couple of them outside then, keeping a couple in the house just to see the difference. By then I'll have at least 1 or 2 more of the t5 units with 3000k (or 2700k if I can find some) bulbs as I'll probably use them over the winter the entire way through.

At this point I know I won't get the yield I hoped for if my first batch I put out in april would have lived, but on the plus side the plants will be smaller and less detectable.

I've been thinking about how I want my final grow room to look like once It's 100% complete. It's an 8'x6' room with no windows, I've been thinking of running 3 of the 8 bulb 4' t5 units over the tops, supplemented by 2 300w triband leds from htg or else procyons maybe angled down from the top sides to help fill the spectrum better. It's going to be a build as I go though since money is tight. I would like to be able to grow 30 plants in the room, do you guys think that's enough space? I can knock out a closet if I need to to add another 2' making it 8'x8'.

+rep for keeping a positive spirit and trying again:goodjob:

Your next setup sounds very nice.

I've succesfully started lowryder seeds outside in pots, but I think that lowryder may be more tolerant to doing that than most other strains. The general consensus seems to be that it's better to start your seedlings indoors to harden them up a bit before taking them outside.

regards,

SS

Thanks setting sun, I'm deffinately in that camp now as well, and to go further will say to not transplant seedlings outside either lol.

One thing I forgot to mention is that since we have no access to fox farms soil around here unless I order over the net, I decided I will mix up my own soil for this next grow.

Now keep in mind I have really no idea what I'm doing here but I bought a few bags of top soil from the local farm store (super cheap, $1.99 a bag), a bag of peat moss, and a bag of perlite. I'm also trying to find some worm castings and fish emulsion to mix in with it but might have to order some online. The main thing I'm trying to do is stay away from any timed release ferts mixed in with the soil like most of the potting soil you find at the stores around here have. I have no idea what is actually in the top soil, it just says top soil. Does this sound like a feasible plan or is there a flaw in my logic here?

Back
Top Bottom