Marijuana Business License Apps & Expunged Felony Colorado

judahwo

I am curious about the legal requirements for applying for a marijuana business license in Colorado. I have an expunged felony/deferred judgement for cultivation of marijuana in the state of Tennessee. I received a pretrial diversion and as a result I was never technically convicted of a felony. The felony remained pending on my public record until I completed the terms of my probation and the case was dismissed. Afterward, I paid to have the felony expunged from my public record.

I am a bit confused about some of the stipulations regarding an application for a marijuana business license in Colorado. Two of the stipulations are worded as follows:

May not have any Controlled Substance felony convictions;
May not have any other felony convictions that have not been fully discharged for five years prior to applying for your business license

I have also heard conflicting information that even a felony drug arrest would disqualify one from receiving a marijuana business license in Colorado. So, what is the law really saying? Is it arrests? Or convictions? And if convictions, does a pretrial diversion and expunged felony charge count as a conviction? Also, does the charge being out of state make a difference?

Finally, if Colorado is not a viable option for me, are the application laws in other retail marijuana states or DC more lenient?

Back
Top Bottom