Smartphone suggestions potential trouble

profbeeker

Hey all. Relatively new here. Not sure if this is the right place for this or if it may have even been covered before or mentioned in a post. (After lots of reading couldn't find anything). But I wanted to throw a concern out there and see if anyone feels the same. In this new age of the smartphone we tend to get suggested a lot of ads that coincide with our recent interests. For example, if I've been trolling on ebay recently for tablecloths then when I get on Facebook etc. There will be ads for tablecloths. If I Google search some topic multiple times those topics will have article ads I can click on that share the same topic. So my point is this, we all obviously do quite a bit of searching for cannabis related products and literature. I do. And I constantly have suggestions for things to buy on eBay and amazon, ads for the same on Facebook and instagram. Even emails about cannabis related things. So basically a profile has been created for me by google? And it monitors me and my interests, tailoring my online experience to engage in my interests. Which can be considered pretty illegal in some places. Thoughts? Concerns? Comments?

all topics discussed by me or in threads are strictly fictitious

So glad to see someone bring this up. I'm new as of November and have wanted to participate but wasn't sure about security. I'm not sure what 420 is about.. so clearing browser cookies is good enough to cover a trail?
After I made my first post I saw the signature at the end saying my message was sent via my galaxy phone and then numbers... I know that can be removed and I tried to go into settings to remove those numbers. Not sure if it worked or if those numbers matter.

So glad to see someone bring this up. I'm new as of November and have wanted to participate but wasn't sure about security. I'm not sure what 420 is about.. so clearing browser cookies is good enough to cover a trail?
After I made my first post I saw the signature at the end saying my message was sent via my galaxy phone and then numbers... I know that can be removed and I tried to go into settings to remove those numbers. Not sure if it worked or if those numbers matter.

Those numbers don't matter, they are only the generic name of the type of phone that you posted with.

That is called an app signature & can be edited as you wish. You have removed yours successfully.

The 420 Magazine app and your web browser are 2 separate ways of exploring the web.

Our app is only for this website and any direct links that you follow from this site through the app.

Google Chrome, or any other web browser on your phone, collects "cookies" from each website you visit on your way around the web in general and they represent a tiny record of each site you visit, so that the next time you visit that site, it will load faster and recognise your browser from the last session.

Cookies are useful, but mostly for advertisers and you can easily delete them without causing any issues.

Simple steps like clearing your browser cache (Browsing history) and cookies ensure that your advertising offers are random and your trail trough the internet is a bit more secure.

Those numbers don't matter, they are only the generic name of the type of phone that you posted with.

That is called an app signature & can be edited as you wish. You have removed yours successfully.

The 420 Magazine app and your web browser are 2 separate ways of exploring the web.

Our app is only for this website and any direct links that you follow from this site through the app.

Google Chrome, or any other web browser on your phone, collects "cookies" from each website you visit on your way around the web in general and they represent a tiny record of each site you visit, so that the next time you visit that site, it will load faster and recognise your browser from the last session.

Cookies are useful, but mostly for advertisers and you can easily delete them without causing any issues.

Simple steps like clearing your browser cache (Browsing history) and cookies ensure that your advertising offers are random and your trail trough the internet is a bit more secure.
That really helped a lot! Thanks so much. I've really enjoyed reading along and learning but it took me from November until now to post. And then worried about it. That's what girls do. Or me anyway.

One more question if you don't mind, do I clear before I come in? And after?

I went thru some troubles 30 years ago and stayed clean and clear all these years. Sure don't need to do something dumb at this point in life. I have done some online purchasing also only to find I shouldn't have. Still have alot to learn and I have never been on a forum so I'm taking a crash course on how to get around and the security details. Actually I visited some others and I decided to pick one. You all are very kind and informative I really like it here.

Hey all. Relatively new here. Not sure if this is the right place for this or if it may have even been covered before or mentioned in a post. (After lots of reading couldn't find anything). But I wanted to throw a concern out there and see if anyone feels the same. In this new age of the smartphone we tend to get suggested a lot of ads that coincide with our recent interests. For example, if I've been trolling on ebay recently for tablecloths then when I get on Facebook etc. There will be ads for tablecloths. If I Google search some topic multiple times those topics will have article ads I can click on that share the same topic. So my point is this, we all obviously do quite a bit of searching for cannabis related products and literature. I do. And I constantly have suggestions for things to buy on eBay and amazon, ads for the same on Facebook and instagram. Even emails about cannabis related things. So basically a profile has been created for me by google? And it monitors me and my interests, tailoring my online experience to engage in my interests. Which can be considered pretty illegal in some places. Thoughts? Concerns? Comments?

all topics discussed by me or in threads are strictly fictitious

Your... phone? Yes, all of your concerns are valid (and for more - and more important - reasons than just the cannabis issue). Aside from that, most people's cell phones are tied to an account in their name, lol.

The mildly paranoid would probably pick up a used laptop, tablet, or "smart" phone for next to nothing, hop onto public WiFi at a library (/fast food joint/etc.), and never ever sign into any accounts that they've used on an identity-linked device (such as the cell phone tied to an account in their name).

Back
Top Bottom