What's the point of legalizing anyway?

waitingtopass

I live in a state that has legalized MJ. Sounded sooo great to the voters and everyone who smokes was thrilled to finally be able to legally purchase weed. Great so far.

Now try and find a job? Yeah, okay. I don't know about other states, but all of a sudden EVERY employer in my state tests for THC now and I mean like 98% of them do.

I get it if you're driving a city bus, heavy equipment, working with kids or even if your working with a lot of money. But it's ridiculous to test for jobs like data entry or answering phones. If a person was seriously high on the job, it'd be pretty obvious. I refuse to even drive my car to the store if I've smoked any at night. I almost never smoke it during the day and certainly NOT before going to work, just like I wouldn't drink alcohol before work.

Legalizing it seems to have made urine testing a standard and unlike alcohol, THC stays in your system for weeks after quitting. So why have it legalized if you can't really smoke it anyway??

I can't wait until I retire. :thedoubletake:

We are not legal YET, however the bill for medicinal use is in between committees as we speak, with a deadline Thursday or it sinks. I am not currently working but I am a driver and will (or should) qualify for a card when this bill PASSES (fingers crossed) but I bet I will not be able to go back to my 20 year career... If I take advantage of this bc of drug testing. Ridiculously enough, its ok to have pharmaceuticals in your system which is much worse then if I took my nightly smoke. The pills still having a lingering affect the following morning whereas the latter has totally worn off by the time I wake. Unfortunately, this is one of the cons to legalizing bc it basically does us no good when it stays in your system FOREVER and can't work or can't smoke bc it's legal. I was just thinking about this yesterday and thought to myself...i wonder if it's gonna make the laws be more strict for the average rec smoker if it passes...didn't even think about EVERY employer drug testing. Hope it gets figured out while I'm still among the living.

I live in a state that has legalized MJ. Sounded sooo great to the voters and everyone who smokes was thrilled to finally be able to legally purchase weed. Great so far.

Now try and find a job? Yeah, okay. I don't know about other states, but all of a sudden EVERY employer in my state tests for THC now and I mean like 98% of them do.

I get it if you're driving a city bus, heavy equipment, working with kids or even if your working with a lot of money. But it's ridiculous to test for jobs like data entry or answering phones. If a person was seriously high on the job, it'd be pretty obvious. I refuse to even drive my car to the store if I've smoked any at night. I almost never smoke it during the day and certainly NOT before going to work, just like I wouldn't drink alcohol before work.

Legalizing it seems to have made urine testing a standard and unlike alcohol, THC stays in your system for weeks after quitting. So why have it legalized if you can't really smoke it anyway??

I can't wait until I retire. :thedoubletake:
Well said but I smoke daily I consume about 4-7 grams a day depending on my muscle and back pain.s my tolerance might be higher then his. I think of its prescription then it should be okay with doctors consent. But i do plan on looking into more cbd capsules to take during day.. I've driven garbage tricks for regions and heavy equipment tandem axle trucks. I have been told no-one sees anything or evidence to know I'm medicated. Trained a guy the other day young kid how to drive truck he went and passed.

I think it depends on the situation.

But great read buddy. Very good attitude I do think encourage people to smoke and drive but under certain conditions for people I think judgement shouldn't be passed on people like myself who need to consume large amounts to numb and push pass my discomfort and pains

Happy growing .

This is a very simple question to answer. The point of legalizing MJ is so that when people get caught with it, they do NOT GO TO PRISON!

If you were facing 10 to 30 years locked up in prison because you got caught with a bag of cannabis I am guessing you would not be confused as to WHY legalization is so important, or as you stated, "whats the point of legalizing anyway" Right now in America 60% of all Americans believe that cannabis should be legal, which is great until you stop to realize that 40% of all Americans are still under the old Reefer Madness mentality. In the 1970's 24% of all Americans thought it should be legalized. So how did the opinion of Americans change from 24% to 60% about the exact same question? Through education, people started having informed discussions about the drug because the amount of information about the drug became more readily available due to the internet. Once the percentage reaches over 80% you will see the drug testing for THC disappear, and it could even go away sooner if someone is able to come up with a test that could show if the drug had been consumed say within 4 to 8 hours.

As for sweating about being tested many companies require a pre-employment drug test, and like the field I work in, I get drug tested 2 time a year minimum but that has not stopped me from partaking in the drug. Before Oregon legalized cannabis recreational I could have 4 to 6 drug tests per year and if I changed contractors I would always be forced to be drug tested even if I had one with my previous contractor just a few weeks ago. Now that it is legal, they ask if my drug card is within 6 months old, if it is, that is good enough, no drug test needed. I partake for 5 months then stop and cleanse for a month since I know I will be getting a test soon. Where my wife works, she had to do a pre-employment drug test and they claim that they can do randoms when ever they feel justified, being she works in the medical field. She has worked with the same company in the same office for a little over 12 years now and the only drug test she has ever had to do was her pre-employement test. Remember, drug tests cost money and the employer has to pay for the drug test, so unless they have a deep wallet chances are you will get tested when you get the job and never again unless you have a major accident at work or really do something totally stupid.

PS last drug test I took I smoked 2 weeks prior to testing which did make me a little nervous since normally I cleanse for a whole month, yep I passed, but I am a recreational user, I only partake when my joints are really acting up and I have a lot of discomfort.

The good news is some companies are stopping testing for marijuana. I am an IT consultant and talk to business owners and managers every day. More and more I am hearing "we don't want to know because then we would have to fire them." The other thing that I see is completely unfair but it is the reality is that some companies only test hourly employees and not salaried management. I have never had to take a drug test and my current employer knows I have a medical card. You are better off with small mom and pop companies as they will look the other way if you are valuable enough.

and the worst news of all is once the gov. starts telling you what, when, where & how & how much to consume it will be too late, you

will rue the day it was legalized and the people in power will laugh all the way to the bank with the $$$ you begged them to steal

from you. DO NOT legalize, decriminalize and save lots of money & pain. The penalties for breaking the laws after legalization will

be much tougher than they are now. hide & watch

and the worst news of all is once the gov. starts telling you what, when, where & how & how much to consume it will be too late, you

will rue the day it was legalized and the people in power will laugh all the way to the bank with the $$$ you begged them to steal

from you. DO NOT legalize, decriminalize and save lots of money & pain. The penalties for breaking the laws after legalization will

be much tougher than they are now. hide & watch
Exactly what I was wondering about...the small time rec users could have it harder then ever bf.

Your best bet is to go to the dispensaries and their nurseries and apply for jobs since you are a smoker and they will allow you to smoke there they prefer you to smoke because nobody wants to talk to a wide-eyed sober customer I know because I employ these people I help run a dispensary in New Mexico

Your best bet is to go to the dispensaries and their nurseries and apply for jobs since you are a smoker and they will allow you to smoke there they prefer you to smoke because nobody wants to talk to a wide-eyed sober customer I know because I employ these people I help run a dispensary in New Mexico
My dream.job is to get paid to grow . Id love it. Lol

Look at it like an IQ test, lol. It means that everyone you encounter at their job is smart enough to put the pipe down for a time before going to a job interview. Well, and then there's Taco Bell, I suppose, but they've been halfwits since the first one opened way back when.

The good news is, that I read random drug testing is down overall. IOW, more employers are testing as part of the hiring process, and for reason (safety infraction, wreck company machinery/vehicle, et cetera), but less are grabbing current employees at random and sending them off to pee in a cup.

Even with randoms, occasionally you end up "getting the wink and nod." This is probably more common with mid-sized businesses (and municipalities, lol). And it's not something one can count on, of course. If you're an arse, no one is going to be going out of their way to ensure that you have a chance to p!ss them off on a daily basis, lol. OtOH... My buddy worked, IDK, eight or ten years for a city. They had pre-hire testing (hair testing) and randoms. N employees in his department got tested every year. First year or so he worked there, he acted so square you'd have had to knock the edges off just to roll him down a steep hill. But after a while, you know... There're places that nobody actually volunteers to go to unless they have a reason - like the ability to smoke a bowl without interruption. And bosses aren't stupid. It's like hanging out in the reactor room of an aircraft carrier because officers have this thing against two-headed sperm, I guess. Anyway, after a couple of years everyone pretty much knew he was a big head from way back. But he worked hard without b!tch-- err, well, he worked hard, lol. Never got hit with a random once. You have to keep someone on the crew that, when you give them the real sh!t jobs, you never hear a sound from them (other than the occasional... cough). That was him. His boss actually told him once that he had better remove every single hair from his body because "tomorrow was not looking too good for him." Turned out his boss was joking, and admitted it when my buddy said, "I guess I just quit, then." Not every boss is an idiot, lol, and most of them are at least reasonably observant.

Luckily for me, the only place I ever worked that did testing, the owner was buying cannabis from me. I couldn't get fired, lmfao, it took me five or six tries to quit. If I was subject to random urine testing, I'd probably end up freezing a few clean samples and hoping I got the temperature right when I... produced a sample. I can't seem to figure out to, ah... filter my words to authority figures - I'd get "randomed" every time...

Cannabis only has a "quasi-legal" status. It won't be fully legal anywhere in the United States until DC quits meddling in things it has no business meddling in (as per the United States Constitution, which I happen to consider an authority on such matters), it moves cannabis off of the Schedule I Narcotics List - a list it has NO business being on in the first place, since according to the feds it must meet all three qualifications... and it fails to meet a single one of them - or both. Unless and until that happens, the cannabis user will always be subject to discrimination, prosecution, and persecution. I've found that governments like to keep such a group of people handy for the times when "us against them" can be a useful distraction, and it isn't convenient to focus on an external "them." I expect there will always be some kind of thing, substance, or act that only a minority of the citizenry (or at best, a silent majority) enjoys... that will be illegal in this country. And cannabis is so easy - most "offenders" are either completely nonviolent or at least halfway intelligent in their violence (lol). Knock over a cr@ck dealer and you pretty much have to go in shooting, but with a cannabis grower - for example - you could pretty much call ahead to make an appointment. "Yeah, this is Officer Doolittle. I just wanted to let you know, the judge signed the warrant, so I'll be around some time tomorrow evening to serve it. Yeah, decaf is fine. Got any brownies, too? Nah, just kidding - although if you do, can you go ahead and have them wrapped by the time I get there? My K9 is on a diet." Whatcha gonna do, lol, flush a 30-plant grow three weeks from harvest? Better call Roto-Rooter, lofl. Cops don't act like it's a walkover. If they did, it might be harder to justify the toys. And that cr@ck dealer probably did business in a condemned building; I've met some growers that lived in real fine houses. I'm not saying that's a consideration when they're figuring out who to bust - but I'm not saying it's not, either, because who'd feed my cat after the lightning bolt hit....

A friend of mine works for an organization where even if you were prescribed medical marijuana you will still lose your job if you pee dirty for thc. Now I understand just cause something is legal that it's up to the company how they go about it but I dont understand how you can get penalized if you have a prescription.

And I will never understand how they can tell you that you cant smoke weed if its legal. I can understand them saying you cant come to work high but what does it matter if you smoke after work

What annoys me most about this sort of drug testing is as someone mentioned previously they test for cannabis but don't test for the many assorted legal pharmaceutical drugs. There are plenty of prescription drugs that will f*** you up way more than cannabis would, where some even tell you not to operate heavy machinery when on them, yet they don't test for those sorts of drugs. It's madness. But hey, madness and insanity perfectly describe the vast number of politicians in government who make up these 'laws' that are rarely based on evidence and frequently based on individual and personal opinion of whoever wrote the law.

I think it ought to vary depending on the type of work being done, to be honest with you. I've had jobs that I'd have walked off after five minutes if I wasn't cruising at 50,000 feet, and jobs that I pretty much needed to be on top of my game in every way possible and couldn't afford to suffer a "whoops, I got there and forgot" moment.

If I need to hire a lawyer, he's going to charge me an arm, a leg, and both testicles, lol. He better not be glued to the couch on some indica bud. If anything, I'd expect him to come out of his bathroom with a little post-nasal drip. Err... I mean... Well, if he's billing me 100 hours a week, he better be awake for them, FFS. My doctor, OtOH...

Biggest douche bag I ever worked for, he liked to smoke a bowl and go away somewhere to do creepy sh!t with one of his buddies. If he couldn't get high, he came in to his business every day. When that happened, things got broken. You'd just find yourself pounding on something with a BFH, lol, plotting violence while you told yourself it wouldn't be worth the jail time. If he'd have decided to quit getting there, half the crew would have run for their cars and the other half... would be trying to figure out how to bury the remains out back 15 minutes later. He didn't drug-test because if it weren't for the stoners (et cetera), he'd have nobody even apply but people who drank whiskey from their Thermos bottles all day long. They tend to become expensive, in every conceivable way.

I worked for an OLD lady. She never drug-tested anyone. She didn't need lab results to determine who the f*ck-ups were. About 19 out of 20 times they never made it through the interview. The few that slipped in, bounced right back out, lol. I liked working for her. She used her senses, her brain, and her gut. I sort of got the feeling that half the time she looked at me like I was the exception to the rule and the other half we were more or less on the same plane, so to speak. But we got along, even when we didn't ;) . No bullsh!t asked or accepted. That was pretty much the way it worked, back in the day.

What annoys me most about this sort of drug testing is as someone mentioned previously they test for cannabis but don't test for the many assorted legal pharmaceutical drugs. There are plenty of prescription drugs that will f*** you up way more than cannabis would, where some even tell you not to operate heavy machinery when on them, yet they don't test for those sorts of drugs.

If you're talking about urine testing, it's kind of a (bad) joke, anyway. Just about every other substance that IS tested for is pretty much undetectable after a long weekend at most, while the markers for cannabis hang around in our fat cells for quite a while. Smoke a few joints and you'll be sweating for weeks. If your coworker... blows $400 on Friday night, well, he's mainly worried that there will be a test on the following Monday.

In other words, urine testing might be great for figuring out who is likely to be a little inefficient, but not so good at predicting who'll snap and slaughter everyone in the building on his way out the door one day. Go figure....

This is a very simple question to answer. The point of legalizing MJ is so that when people get caught with it, they do NOT GO TO PRISON!

If you were facing 10 to 30 years locked up in prison because you got caught with a bag of cannabis I am guessing you would not be confused as to WHY legalization is so important, or as you stated, "whats the point of legalizing anyway" Right now in America 60% of all Americans believe that cannabis should be legal, which is great until you stop to realize that 40% of all Americans are still under the old Reefer Madness mentality. In the 1970's 24% of all Americans thought it should be legalized. So how did the opinion of Americans change from 24% to 60% about the exact same question? Through education, people started having informed discussions about the drug because the amount of information about the drug became more readily available due to the internet. Once the percentage reaches over 80% you will see the drug testing for THC disappear, and it could even go away sooner if someone is able to come up with a test that could show if the drug had been consumed say within 4 to 8 hours.

As for sweating about being tested many companies require a pre-employment drug test, and like the field I work in, I get drug tested 2 time a year minimum but that has not stopped me from partaking in the drug. Before Oregon legalized cannabis recreational I could have 4 to 6 drug tests per year and if I changed contractors I would always be forced to be drug tested even if I had one with my previous contractor just a few weeks ago. Now that it is legal, they ask if my drug card is within 6 months old, if it is, that is good enough, no drug test needed. I partake for 5 months then stop and cleanse for a month since I know I will be getting a test soon. Where my wife works, she had to do a pre-employment drug test and they claim that they can do randoms when ever they feel justified, being she works in the medical field. She has worked with the same company in the same office for a little over 12 years now and the only drug test she has ever had to do was her pre-employement test. Remember, drug tests cost money and the employer has to pay for the drug test, so unless they have a deep wallet chances are you will get tested when you get the job and never again unless you have a major accident at work or really do something totally stupid.

PS last drug test I took I smoked 2 weeks prior to testing which did make me a little nervous since normally I cleanse for a whole month, yep I passed, but I am a recreational user, I only partake when my joints are really acting up and I have a lot of discomfort.

Very well said. I live in Maine and I grow because I CAN. Haven't used cannabis in over 10 years, but after so many years of being told you can't do something it is liberating to be legally allowed. You can be holding up to 2.5 oz legally in Maine..you can keep unlimited what you grow...you can transfer up to 2.5 oz to another adult...you can grow (simultaneously) 12 mature plants, flowering plants PER adult. All of that is years of jail time across my state line.

I had no interest in smoking/growing before but I was compelled to participate in something that so many want and deserve...the freedom to grow a really cool plant. Going to jail for this plant is insanity.

Back
Top Bottom