New Legislation in Maine! Future Patients Collaborate Here!

NEchronic

This thread is open regarding 22 MRSA Chapter 558-C; the new Maine Medical Marijuana Act. In the next 120 days (from Nov. 4th) the Maine legislature will need to write the rules which will become law governing MMJ in Maine. These include:
-the steps needed to add conditions to the existing list of treatable conditions, -the rules governing the application and renewal of licensing for patients
-the rules governing the application and renewal of licensing for dispensaries
(sec. 2424, sec. 2428 sub. 3)

The uses for which MMJ is legal in Maine are:

2. Debilitating medical condition.
"Debilitating medical condition" means:
A. Cancer, glaucoma, positive status for human immunodeficiency virus, acquired immune deficiency syndrome, hepatitis C, amyotrophic lateral sclerosis, Crohn's disease, agitation of Alzheimer's disease, nail-patella syndrome or the treatment of these conditions;
B. A chronic or debilitating disease or medical condition or its treatment that
produces intractable pain, which is pain that has not responded to ordinary medical or surgical measures for more than 6 months;
C. A chronic or debilitating disease or medical condition or its treatment that
produces one or more of the following: cachexia or wasting syndrome; severe nausea; seizures, including but not limited to those characteristic of epilepsy; or severe and persistent muscle spasms, including but not limited to those characteristic of multiple sclerosis; or
D. Any other medical condition or its treatment approved by the department as provided for in section 2424, subsection 2.

This means that there is still a lot up in the air concerning MMJ in Maine. Please post and discuss on this thread if you have a desire to impact the future of MMJ in Maine for the better; all opinions and ideas are welcome.

Refer to
Bureau of Corporations, Elections & Commissions, Elections Division - Voter Eligibility
for a copy of the passed bill.

This is through the Maine Bureau of Corporations, Elections, and Commissions; from the Elections Division web page for the citizens initiatives voted on on Nov. 3
that page is hereBureau of Corporations, Elections & Commissions, Elections Division

Thanks everyone

I'm glad to see someone took the time to post this. I voted "yes" on Question 5 last November, in the hopes that my fellow Mainers would do the same. Thankfully they came through. It is my strong belief that the MMMA rules and regulations currently in place are too vague & undefined, and I am hopeful that the new task force assigned to tackle this legislation will be fair in their classification of conditions/disorders which are eligible to receive a medical marijuana card. I myself have had painful, nauseating, physically debilitating migraines since I was a teenager, and as of yet no pharmaceutical drug has helped dull them as much as the beautiful plant marijuana. It will obviously take time to work out all the details, but the sooner they put in place a system of distribution, the better.

Hey guys... whats the latest in Maine? Inquiring minds want to know! :)

This info needs to be updated because alot has changed. Dispenserys will be opening in july.

I am "from Away" and would love to know if the State has licensed any dispensaries yet? If so what is your impression of the business?
Thank you to all Mainers who voted for MMJ Legislation to become Law.

:welldone::thanks::thumb::goodjob:

Perhaps a new thread is in order, but I'd appreciate some conversation regarding the distribution laws and pending legislation.

Is it true that there are only eight dispensaries? This throttling of competition will not be very successful in getting fairly priced marijuana to patients that need it. It reminds me of OPEC.

When does Maine plan to open a competitive market? Are they considering the California model or one similar to Oregon's Initiative 28 (on the November 2010 ballot)?

I agree 420% We here in RI are trying to license the THREE dispensaries allowed under the Hawkins Slater Law. this process is way behind schedule because Gov Carcieri is against MMJ.
The thinking locally on the East Coast is not to allow many dispensaries to sell products like in LA County. This is a misguided attempt at regulating MMJ sales. Allowing the market to establish and maintain the number of storefronts is the single best way to insure competition and availability. The MMJ Dispensaries should be handled similar to other Pharmacies or incorporated with them, allowing investment and job creation wherever there is a need. Mom and Pop storefronts are the American way, small businesses create wealth, prosperity and jobs. Legislating only 8 storefronts in a State the size of all New England is a recipe for problems but is a start. We all must safeguard this resource and demand freedom from detrimental controls on availability.

The road to Hell is paved with Good Intentions.

Back
Top Bottom