Expansion of Eight Dispensaries?

HighWaterMark

I'm not from Maine but am quite interested in their new laws for the provision of medical marijuana. As I understand it, for the first year, there were to be eight dispensaries, one for each district.

When is this year over? Locking out any competition is OK for a trial and I can understand their position, but they have to open the market if they wish to get fairly priced marijuana to the patients who need it. Is this on the table for discussion?

How is it going in Maine? If you are receiving medical marijuana please respond or drop me a PM.

Another fact worth consideration - five of the dispensaries have financial connections to a California business, Berkeley Patients Group in Berkeley, California. Read the story from Kennebeck Journal.

Monopoly is an unvarnished hot-button term, but reading this article makes me wonder if Maine was caught with their pants down. California business concerns will dictate working policy on dispensaries.

When Maine goes"public" with dispensaries - will Maine residents be in a better position to jockey for dispensary permits?

Another fact worth consideration - five of the dispensaries have financial connections to a California business, Berkeley Patients Group in Berkeley, California. Read the story from Kennebeck Journal.

Monopoly is an unvarnished hot-button term, but reading this article makes me wonder if Maine was caught with their pants down. California business concerns will dictate working policy on dispensaries.

When Maine goes"public" with dispensaries - will Maine residents be in a better position to jockey for dispensary permits?

I agree with you about the Monopoly and what a good point. Maine legislature does makes it's mistakes quite often. As with DHHS, they act like they have a hold on people making false claims but yet I know of several people who live off the state and have jobs. They just lie on their forms and DHHS never follows up with verifying what they have stated. Honestly I know they don't, I even tried an experiment out myself. I filled out the forms and worked less than full time due to vacation and my pay stubs made me qualify for aid. Don't worry, I never used any of it. I just did it to prove a point to a friend of mine who thought I was just bashing people in need. Not everyone is in need trust me. (sorry I got off track)

I am glad to have the Cali business help our state out in getting up and running but I defiantly would like to see this turn out to be more diverse.

The company is an LLC. What's to prevent it from diverting all the profits back to California to re-expand Berkeley Patients Group in their home state. After that they are free to pull up stakes. They could sell it off (or declare bankruptcy). I seriously doubt that they are going national.

One has to ask: what's the draw in Maine? The 4000 mile car ride?

I'm not from Maine but am quite interested in their new laws for the provision of medical marijuana. As I understand it, for the first year, there were to be eight dispensaries, one for each district.

When is this year over? Locking out any competition is OK for a trial and I can understand their position, but they have to open the market if they wish to get fairly priced marijuana to the patients who need it. Is this on the table for discussion?

How is it going in Maine? If you are receiving medical marijuana please respond or drop me a PM.

we have an outfit, berkley group. trying to get a monopoly on dispensrys, right now its not about mmj its about greed.so far no dispensery is open their all having political or growing problems.my personel goal is to grow into the dispensry market myself.

They should, but they wont. In fact, they gave half the licenses to just one company, based in California. Not even from Maine. Thats failed to even open them all yet. They are the only ones behind on everything based on their applications. I personally think this thing stinks of cronyism bad. Sherif dion was part of that board also, before stepping down.

The company is an LLC. What's to prevent it from diverting all the profits back to California to re-expand Berkeley Patients Group in their home state. After that they are free to pull up stakes. They could sell it off (or declare bankruptcy). I seriously doubt that they are going national.

One has to ask: what's the draw in Maine? The 4000 mile car ride?

Literally its because its a Monopoly. Just like, who doesn't want to own an NFL team? With only 8 stores for a state of over 1 million people, these "non profits" will be getting rich :surrender:

berkly group is no longer backing maines 4 permits/dispenceries.the reason for the delay in the 4 openning was a shortage of money and poor judgement.the state is waiting for these four to get up and running before allowing more permits. the permit holder is now backed by a wellness group/investers/nfl star out of de. we have no idea when more permits will be opened up. the responce to the program in maine has been great. the 4 dispenceries that are open and most caregivers are busy and getting along well.the public is supportive,and most law enforcement are looking out for us.and very little trouble.it aint perfect but its working.jim b carebycannabis

berkly group is no longer backing maines 4 permits/dispenceries.the reason for the delay in the 4 openning was a shortage of money and poor judgement.the state is waiting for these four to get up and running before allowing more permits. the permit holder is now backed by a wellness group/investers/nfl star out of de. we have no idea when more permits will be opened up. the responce to the program in maine has been great. the 4 dispenceries that are open and most caregivers are busy and getting along well.the public is supportive,and most law enforcement are looking out for us.and very little trouble.it aint perfect but its working.jim b carebycannabis

Wish that was happening here in RI the Governor won't sign the licenses citing letters from DEA ans Federal Prosecutors.

Yeah, i get that. Im just really bothered ouyr state gave out over half of them to a group from out of state, that obviously wasnt even close to as prepared as they should have been. You would think that the group that won most of those permits would have its shit together, but they didnt, and why? Why did they win so many in big markets, but have failed to come close to opening them like other permit winners? There were many many more applicants that surly would have done a better job, and are from Maine.

Also, wouldn't finances be the big part of winning any of these permits? How could berkly been so off?

I just think it all smells wayyy too much of croniesm to be happy about it.Its a start, but if are content with this mess because its better then nothing, whats next? In California, the same folks that got prop 215,were also the same folks working with sherrifs departments to keep it illegal in 2011.

Why? Money, monopoly money.

Whoops, sorry for the rant. Just irks me

In California, the same folks that got prop 215,were also the same folks working with sherrifs departments to keep it illegal in 2011.

Why? Money, monopoly money.

Whoops, sorry for the rant. Just irks me

corners my friend I 420% understand your anger at how an unprepared business "from away" could be gifted so much but in California things were not as you may think. One would think if Marijuana became legal anyone could grow it anywhere; wrong. All growers would be restricted to a five square foot garden. 5x5 PERIOD. I have one plant that is 5x5 sometimes and am already licensed for 60 Plants (36 in Flower with 24 Seedlings). Also all Plants would have to buy Tax rings to verify they were legal. How would any Patient / grower or even a Caregiver with multiple Patients be able to function with a 5x5 max garden?
I would vote against that bill solely on this basis but there were many flaws that may be worked out in the future. I believe in writing meaningful legislation that reflects the will of the People. NO person should ever be incarcerrated or punished in any way for responsible use of Cannabis, it's Cultivation and Legal Distribution with no limits on anything other than zoning and insuring no children have access.

I bet he wishes the DEA and prosecutors will vote for him next time when eh wants to get reelected .

When it comes time for re-election you can be 420% sure this will be an issue as The Governor says State Law supersedes Federal Law. In a case where armed gunmen murdered a gas station manager who was making a bank deposit in broad daylight the Feds Indicted and are seeking the Death Penalty of the accused because it happened on Federally Insured Land (an FDIC Bank). But the Governor will not hand over the Prisoner to the Feds claiming the Death Penalty is not the Law in RI, and RI State Law supersedes Federal Law, but NOT SO for State Legislated Dispensaries. While I agree there are too few legislated for RI (3), and that they would grow far too many Plants. I am in favor of smaller Patient run Collectives, or Co-op's, that would grow no more than 99 Plants in Flower to serve small groups of Patients and their Caregivers. This would keep it under the Federal 99 Plant limit and allow for many to obtain inexpensive Medicine conveniently.

I think the whole process of picking the "winners" of the monopolies was shady. Shouldn't a location be the first thing acquired in any process before getting a license?

Back
Top Bottom