Ontario's College of Physicians: clinics shouldn't be charging fees to patients

ottawa1987

Hello Everyone. I'm new here, but I thought it would be useful and important to share links about controversy heating up over kickbacks from LP's to doctors for referring patients, and also the fact that the College of Physicians and Surgeons of Ontario has now updated it's policies to forbid the charging of "patients or licensed producers of dried marijuana for completing the medical document, or for any activities associated with completing the medical document, including, but not limited to: assessing the patient; reviewing his/her chart; educating or informing the patient about the risks or benefits of dried marijuana; or confirming the validity of a prescription."

I know lots of us have been charged crazy high fees by clinics for 'education' and referrals, so I thought this would be of interest.

About the kickbacks:

Licensed medical marijuana growers say clinics pushing for referral fees - The Globe and Mail

Statements from the College's spokeswoman:

thestar.com | Toronto Star | Canada's largest daily

Editorial from the president of Tilray:

Greg Engel: We need a code of ethics for medical cannabis

Considering it's not breaking the law, I'm sure they'll still charge.

The issue comes down to, pressure on doctors to not sign prescriptions and fear of being liable for patients abusing their prescription (which is rare), so they charge in case they lose their jobs

Back
Top Bottom