Sativa Tincture Creation

Thepurplem0nkey

Ok, I just sampled my very first ever home brewed tincture, created for my grandfather, who uses it to ease his alzheimer mood swings, to relax his aching body, and to induce appetite. He is a strict Sativa user.
For my tincture, I used exactly 3.5 grams of high grade medical pot. I used 3.5 grams of Maui Waui, a strong Sativa strain. On top of that, I put about .02-.03 grams of high grade H2o hashish (g-13 strain). I would probably recomend a bit more if you could spare, but g-13 was insanely strong, so a little bit sufficed. THe medium I was brewing with was 500ML (1 ounce) of Brandy, 80 proof.
I hand ground the marijuana, breaking it up meticulousley as much as I could.Stems are ok to thrown in there of course. In my Indica tincture, I had a very crumbly hash, that I could shave off into fine keif with a nice sharp serated blade. THis water hashsh was a bit more plyable and gooey, so I sliced off thin slivers. I placed weed and hash inside a sealable mason jar, and poured in one ounce of Brandy. I sealed the jar, wrapped it in a brown paper lunch bag, dated it, and put it in a dark, room temp cabinet.
Once a day for three weeks, without removing it from the bag, I'd shake the hell out of it for about 1 to 2 minutes. At the end of three weeks (today) I strained with a coffee filter, mixed liquid with a generous amount of honey (flavor to tate. I like it very sweet myself) and took about 6 drop's from a straw underneath the tounge.
RESULT: WOW! A deep sativa effect. My body and mind are so relaxed. I felt the effects almost IMMEDIATLEY. THe full effect in about 7 minutes. Its a very mellow high, my gramps is going to love it. I was worried that I didnt use enough, or that my weed wasnt dry enough (it was extremely sticky and pliable). But this is a damn strong tincture.
-PM

Hey PM, i was under the impression G-13 is 100% Indica...?

The only time i've ever bought it from the (now defunct) Oakland Compassionate Caregivers, they told me it was a heavy indica. Maybe they were wrong tho... :hmmmm:

man,im jelous.i want to make one now, how long do you think that tincture with an 8th in it will last?I am a weekend smoker so my tolerance is probobly alot lower then yours PM,im sure if i made a tincture with an 8th of good bud 3 drops will get me messed up.have you measured the liquid that was the result?how much was there??

Oh,and do you think using jack daniels would be ok?or should i stick to voldka?its a bitch to find everclear around here.

I used 500 ML of alcohol, thats one ounce. If you are a lightweight, then a tincture will mess you up very well indeed. 500ML is quite a lot. If you only use 5 drops a day, every day, id say youd have a 3 month supply, if not more, withn 500ML of alcohol.
I used an 80 proof alcohol. I suspect the higher the alcohol content, the better the extraction of the THC will be.
-PM

use everclear, that shit is 180 proof.

Smokey, maybe you could help me out here.....I added a nice amount of honey to sweeten the brew, but it still burns a bit when dropped under the tounge. Is MORE HONEY required, or is there another way to dilute the acidic burning of the alcohol without diluting the potency of the tincture? THe tinctures I have bought at the clubs didnt have such harsh a bite as the one I just made.
I took another few drops last night before I went to bed...WOW! Its like a super potent muscle relaxant. My whole body was relaxed and high, except for my mind. ALlowed me to get some great sleep.
-PM

you can add more honey, just raise your dose abit. it may just burn more because the kind of liquer you used. im not really sure how the clubs make theres and what other things they use to dilute it.

I set up my tincture

I filled a small jar 3/4 the way with ground up bud.then i poured in vodka and left about an inch at the top and put the lid on.i shaked it up for a minute and put it in my closet.Im going to wait 3 weeks and then i will report back.

i hope this works.

This may sound stupid, but what about a bit of water?? I mean, people who get drinks "on the rocks" allow the ice to melt... and the added water takes away the "bite" of the alcohol. I don't see any reason why it wouldn't work for your tincture... and I'm sure a bit of water wouldn't change the potency much.

THere are two ways you could make a tincture with MJ. You are talking about only one. You COULD make it oil based instead of alcohol based. Glycerin, olive oil, sesame oil or hell even castor oil (just kidding). That would reduce the "bite" and anybody could use it. Honey has been used for centuries as a natural preservative. Not only for diluting and sweetening things. MJ is not water soluble. Water will not transport the alkaloid. Everclear would be an excellent solvent.

Lizzard, I bought a glycerian based tincture from a club once. My grandfather really liked it. Do I just order the glycerin and let the alcohol steep in it, like the alcohol, or is there some other method of preperation? Also, do you sweeten the oil with honey, or leave it as is?
-PM

I assume that you want to make a new tincture not use the alcohol based one that you have? To make an oil based tincture you would let it steep the same way you used to make the alcohol based tincture. The alkaloids are oil based and will combine with the glycerine. In either process you could put the combination in the oven on low heat (200 degrees) and make the reaction go faster. Don't go above 200 the alkaloids break down at roughly the boiling point of water. Add honey depending on your taste and how long it will be on the shelf. Some plant tinctures are very bitter some are not. Adding honey to a goldenseal tincture is a must for me but may not be for this application. You be the judge.

Lizzzard, thanks for the info! ABout how long should I let it sit in the oven? When I make butter, I let it simmer for about 40 minutes. Would the same amount of time apply to the oil (basicaly the same thing anyway)?
-PM

PM If you keep the temperature at 200 degrees you don't have to worry too much. Like I said the alkaloids break down at the boiling point 212 degrees. I let my oil simmer overnight. This is a very safe method (dummy proof). Just keep records. Don't forget how many grams of plant material goes into a cup of oil. That way you can zip up or down your recipe.

I took 1 oz of some real nice sativa, a pint of ever clear and a mason jar and did a damn fine job of making the perfect energy drink. Ground the oz with a coffee grinder and put the shrub plus the pint of Everclear into a mason jar. Stored it in the freezer for a week and shook/opened it daily. I tried a few drops under my tongue to test out how far it had come in potency and only felt a small buzz. I then took a pot of water and kept the temp around 180-200, placed the jar inside of the pot "with the lid off, to release some of the alcohol vapors" stirring the contents occasionally but mostly making sure the mason jars liquid wasn't getting to hot. After about 30 mins, no reason why just a number i went with, i removed, strained through a cheese cloth, squirted one full droppers worth into my mouth and within 10 mins felt a very very nice uplift. Still questioning whether it was just a placebo effect i dosed my 2 beers, which tasted fabulous and a glass of chardonnay. A dose was, half a dropper from an fluid ounce bottle. Its been like five hours since I had those drinks and I'm still wide awake. No shakes or jitters. Suck it 5 hour energy! I would really love to go to sleep though, definitely a daytime mix. Mixing in that indica hash was a great idea purple monkey and i bet brandy tastes great as a tinc. Gonna try your recipe thanks for sharing!

Back
Top Bottom