Canadian Medical Marijuana: Use in public

odam2k

I'm a life long smoker (57 now), never hid the fact, and have been a medical user (with prescription) for nearly 2 years here in Ontario.

I have a driver's license, but choose not to drive, so my wife drives, and I am a passenger.

Some time ago, a law was passed to restrict vaping, with the exception of mmj, which left the impression with the public that medical users would be lighting up in restaurants etc, do they modified the rule... Not sure exactly where I am allowed to smoke now. Obviously I will always take my surroundings into account, ie, kids, people, etc...

Now the new laws for legalization here apparently will only allow recreational use in your own home.

As a medical user, I smoke when I need to (often) but respect my surroundings. This means I smoke in the car.

Anyone have a link to anything which lays out the rules for where I can use mmj?
Any personal experiences?

Thanks

I am curious myself so I'm going to pop in here. I'm lucky enough to live in BC where everyone does it everywhere.

The new laws have not been passed. Bill C-46 is the enforcement bill which will pass with C-45 the legalization bill. Those are Federal. The provinces & municipalities usually dictate smoking & alcohol consumption policy. The Ontario ministers said: no cannabis smoking in public spaces, cars and workplaces.

You can follow the C-45 News in the Canada forum.

Ian

How does it affect medical use?

What are the rules now for medical use, and how does legalization change these rules?

We don't know. They hinted that they will leave medical access unchanged which would make sense for now. Pricing for MM versus recreational has not been discussed publicly.

So it's pretty clear at this point that you will only be allowed to smoke pot recreationally in the privacy of your own home. My question still stands, AS A MEDICAL USER, WHERE CAN/CAN'T I SMOKE MY MEDICINE?

The rules seem fuzzy to me until we see the final law. Other med users have posted that as an MMR, you can smoke wherever cigarette smoking is allowed except in vehicles. I for one, am not going to test the rules until we know more.

Ian

I've been smoking for nearly 45 years now, and never worried about where I smoked (I take others into account) so why start now... I smoke in the car (don't drive) because of nausea and pain, and unless I plan on becoming a hermit, I will continue to do so. I haven't found any laws regarding medical use.

I've been smoking for nearly 45 years now, and never worried about where I smoked (I take others into account) so why start now... I smoke in the car (don't drive) because of nausea and pain, and unless I plan on becoming a hermit, I will continue to do so. I haven't found any laws regarding medical use.
I do the same thing. So does that make us impaired? I can walk, talk, think, and drive perfectly fine, I'm not impaired! I'm using cannabis for my back pain and I have pain all day including when I drive, I'm not doing it for fun or to get high. Long story short we need to stand up and make our voices heard or no medical patient will ever be allowed to drive again. If you anything like me, when you wake up you medicate and you are above the legal limit for thc in your blood to drive all day because you medicate all day for your chronic pain. So we should not be allowed to drive ever again? Or go back to the opioids?

I stopped driving when I was on the pharmaceuticals, I WAS impaired... I am not usually impaired from my medical pot, I smoke all day and night, my tolerance is so high. Sometimes when I switch strains I will get buzzed for a bit, but my tolerance builds up again in a day or two...

I stopped driving when I was on the pharmaceuticals, I WAS impaired... I am not usually impaired from my medical pot, I smoke all day and night, my tolerance is so high. Sometimes when I switch strains I will get buzzed for a bit, but my tolerance builds up again in a day or two...
Lol, maybe your prescription was larger than mine.

I don't get "high" from cannabis. I use only as much as is prescribed by my doctor. I don't know about 'medical' and 'recreational' cannabis... my Lemon Sour Diesel at 24% THC, would probably be considered recreational with the new laws, but yet it works great on my back pain and I still don't get "high".

I'm a life long smoker (57 now), never hid the fact, and have been a medical user (with prescription) for nearly 2 years here in Ontario.

I have a driver's license, but choose not to drive, so my wife drives, and I am a passenger.

Some time ago, a law was passed to restrict vaping, with the exception of mmj, which left the impression with the public that medical users would be lighting up in restaurants etc, do they modified the rule... Not sure exactly where I am allowed to smoke now. Obviously I will always take my surroundings into account, ie, kids, people, etc...

Now the new laws for legalization here apparently will only allow recreational use in your own home.

As a medical user, I smoke when I need to (often) but respect my surroundings. This means I smoke in the car.

Anyone have a link to anything which lays out the rules for where I can use mmj?
Any personal experiences?

Thanks
Dear Herb: Can I smoke my medical marijuana in public?

the thing is it appears up in the air but my best option is ON MY property. I have NOT had to contend with medicating if staying a hotel. I imagine a vape MIGHT be ok, but ask to be asure. If you were a clandestine smoker like you say, do as you did before to be sure until things are more defined. Better safe than sorry, no?

Back
Top Bottom