Does Cannabis help prevent hair loss

Smokin Moose

Fallen Cannabis Warrior & Ex Moderator
Well, see what this study says lol.

Marihuana inhibits dihydrotestosterone binding to the androgen receptor.

Purohit V, Ahluwahlia BS, Vigersky RA.

Marihuana and its constitutents delta 9-tetrahydrocannabinol (delta 9-THC) and cannabinol (CBN) were tested for their ability to interact with the androgen receptor in rat prostate cytosol. Smoked marihuana condensate, delta 9-THC, and CBN inhibit specific binding of dihydrotestosterone (DHT) to the androgen receptor with a dissociatin constant of the inhibitors (Li) of 2.1-5.8 X 10(-7)M. in addition, other metabolites of delta 9-THC were also androgen antagonists. This data suggests that the anti-androgenic effects associated with marihuana use results, at least in part, from inhibition of androgen action at the receptor level.

I'm taking a wild stab in the dark, but I'm guessing this fancy terminology means it DOES prevent hair loss?

^ haha nice user.

I read the following which explains why THC inhibiting the receptors makes Cannabis a hair loss tonic.:

This is the most common cause of thinning and affects both men and women. Men generally have hair loss concentrated in a specific pattern from the front through to the crown. Women tend to have thinning throughout their head without being in any specific pattern. This type of hair loss is caused by the androgen DHT, or Dihydrotestosterone. Since everyone has DHT that is produced by their bodies and only some people suffer from hair loss there has to be another factor involved. This other factor is having follicles that have a greater number of Androgen receptors for the DHT to attach to. This is the component that is inherited through the genes. To date the most effective preventative treatments are anti androgens, drugs that prevent the creation of DHT. In the future gene therapy will one day be able to alter the genes to prevent the follicles from being affected by DHT.

So who really cares? While it is somewhat interesting, who is going to quit? They told me that doing something else would make me go blind, but I was already wearing glasses before that started.

So who really cares? While it is somewhat interesting, who is going to quit? They told me that doing something else would make me go blind, but I was already wearing glasses before that started.

It's been awhile since I've laughed this hard. If those myths were true I wouldn't be able to type for all the hair on my palms.

And, I suppose that's what wigs are for. Some of us are going to go bald regardless.

I remember 30 years ago it was a "known" side effect of smoking Cannabis that your hair would grow better. I think finger and toe nails grow faster too. :peace:

^^ my main reason for smoking.

Hah, werewolves... We just wanted to point out that fact or myth, "side effects" usually don't stop too many people.

So the Herb is rumored to prevent baldness.
pipe3.jpg

I'll let you know how it works out.

Well maybe you have to rub it on your head, not smoke it.

I'll try that after I my method is thoughroughly tested.

Good idea. You might want to test a small inconspicuous spot where no one will notice.

I said AFTER I've smoked enough to be sure that smoking doesn't work for hair restoration.

(Rubbing your head with smokeable weed.
Is that what they're teaching in Med. School these days?
How to give your kief dandruff?)

That's weird, me and the guys I party with have been at least weekly users for between 25 and 40 and we're all bald. In fact about 25% of us started balding in our early 30's.

Back
Top Bottom