Ohio Medical Compassion Act Introduction Press Conference

Tonya Davis

:peace:Dayton Lawmaker Launches Medical Marijuana Plan - News Story - WHIO Dayton

COLUMBUS, Ohio -- Tanya Davis, left unable to walk and suffering chronic pain by multiple illnesses, looked on with a sense of pride Wednesday at a Statehouse news conference.

It happened as her state senator announced plans to introduce a bill to legalize medical marijuana.

Davis, of Dayton, said her crusade has taken several years of letter-writing, making phone calls and meeting with lawmakers.

Finally, she convinced state Sen. Tom Roberts that the time was right for the bill to be introduced.

It allows people who qualify to grow and use marijuana for their own medicinal purposes.

"I require medical marijuana to maintain a lifestyle with dignity," Davis said.

She spoke at a Statehouse news conference hosted by Roberts to announce the introduction of the Ohio Medical Compassion Act.

The bill would give the Ohio Department of Health and Ohio Department of Agriculture legal power to regulate medical marijuana cultivation and use.

Roberts said the controls would be tight enough to prevent abuse of the drug.

He and other supporters of the bill were quick to point out that 12 states already have medical marijuana laws on the books.

Jayson Jones, a medical marijuana user and former Oregon resident, said that state issues identification cards to residents who qualify for the program.

"I do not think it is the government's duty to say, 'No, you can only buy these drugs from these companies.' We can't even go to Canada to get drugs any more. So this is just part of the overall scheme of giving people control of their own medicine," Jones said.

Similar bills had been introduced in the past, but this may be the first to win serious hearings.

Even then, Roberts said, it will be an uphill battle.

"We know that we will have a difficult road to convince members that it is possible. It is needed. But I think the time to do it is now," Roberts said.

The medical community has not supported medical marijuana bills in the past.

Davis said she will continue to push for passage and looks forward to hearings on the bill.

She said medical marijuana is not a magic cure-all but allows for better treatment of chronic pain for many patients.

In her case, it allows her to cut back on the use of other prescription medications.

Jim.otte@whiotv.com
Copyright 2008 by WHIOTV.com. All rights reserved

yea i saw this on the news and couldnt believe my eyes, i really hope they pass the bill or law because I use marijuanna medically for depression and would love to be able to do so without worrying about the columbus police arresting me just for trying to be happy

on another note, on norml.org it is listed that its legal to posses less than 100 grams, is this true because not to long ago it was 28.5 grams i think and 100 grams seems a bit much, any conformation to this would be great

norml link

Back
Top Bottom