Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Marijuana and high blood pressure

On Vacation
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Re: Marijuana and high blood pressure

Post Thanks / Like

I experienced lowering in my blood pressure after I smoke. But this is obvious since everything that relaxes you, lowers the blood pressure.

Post Thanks / Like

FYI - your body will adjust to the marijuana once you stay regular on it - just like pain pills - you get used to the effects. Newbies will almost always feel their heart racing - but that will fade as the body gets used to you using marijuana.

I am a retired nurse assistant on a cardiac unit.

It is some stress related - I stopped taking norvasc after a few months on medical marijuana - my BP was getting lower! Without it I do fine now. I do take cholesterol meds now - genetic family.

When I was pot free working at the hospital I frequently hit 200/100 (yea thats BP!) once I left that high stress job and started smoking to chill (quit drinking) - my BP is now about 138/78

As long as you check your BP and it works - then you can consider stopping BP meds. That is the key here - monitor.

DN

Michigan Medical Marijuana Advocate since 2009. Patient and Caregiver.
    Pics - http://www.420magazine.com/gallery/u...italnomad.html

Post Thanks / Like

Re: marijuana and high blood pressure

Quote Originally Posted by SmokeSessions View Post
    Since being diagnosed with High Blood Pressure, I have found that my heart rate often is faster when using cannabis. If i get "too high," then I have panic attacks. This has only been the case for about 2-3 years now, prior I was fine. never could be "too high" then, but now, more than a few tokes is too much for me to "handle.." It's weird, I dont know why this has occured.
    I am sensing I have the same feeling and thought it was just my mind and anxiety, but I am sure it's something sometimes I feel fine and I'm high all over but over 60% of the time my heads pounding with pressure and I can't focus or think I'm too high to even be awake and handle anything. Is this how you were feeling?

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=SmokeSessions;656537]I was just browsing some articles on 420magazine.com and found a few where they state that marijuana actually helps control high blood pressure. As someone who suffers from high blood pressure, I was under the impression that it was quite the opposite. I have limited my pot use since I was diagnosed with high blood pressure, and take prescribed medication to control it.

I'm nearly 65 and was put on meds for high blood pressure about a month and a half ago. I also obtained the medical marijuana card for arthritis and have discovered that the medical marijuana can interact with the meds. There is an additive effect with one or more of the meds because marijuana generally lowers blood pressure and raises the pulse rate. My blood pressure becomes a little too low, which at one very unpleasant point the first night I tried just one puff left me hovering just above fainting for a couple of hours with a blood pressure as low as 77/46. In speaking with my doctor about this, who previously had told me there should be no drug interaction as far as he knew, he recommended I do not take the evening meds if I choose to smoke marijuana instead, in essence controlling my blood pressure with the meds during the day and with the pot as an "alternative method" at night. I now can smoke more of it and the more potent strains but had to drop the metoprolol completely because of the very low pulse rates it may cause, and in addition have greatly reduced the other meds with his knowledge. "As long as your blood pressure is low, I'm happy," he's told me. And it is. I now take only 5mg. of lisinopril (vs. the 20mg. a day they had me on for a short time) in the morning with an aspirin and begin treating myself with the marijuana in the evenings. I feel a little funny at first because the lisinopril is still in my system (it supposedly peaks after seven long hours), but as time goes by in the evening, I can smoke a little more with no interaction felt or noted. If I feel good enough at the end of the evening, I take 10 mg of simvastatin as an anticholesterol measure (1/4 of the 40mg. dose they had me on before that). The biggest thing I note with the weed is the way it makes you feel while on the very restrictive diet. Getting close to the full 2gram limit for sodium, and at least 1800 calories to slowly lose a bit more weight, makes me feel best.

Post Thanks / Like

Oldtoker17... I am a year older than you and also take Metoprolol and Lisinopril. In addition, I have a Pacemaker/Defibrillator. I haven't smoked for a while but I do remember the last time I smoked, it was Super Skunk, my heart raced pretty fast. I am now in the process of growing some Blueberry which is Indica dominant but does have some Sativa genetics. I wish I could give more input but my grow won't be ready until later this year. Keep us posted as to your experiences as I am very interested in your results. Obviously, my pacemaker should keep my pulse from getting too low... I am only worried about the blood pressure and hoping it will not be a limiting factor in my smoking.
    I don't take anything for cholesterol since my diet contains no beef or pork unless I have a "slip-up" which does happen from time to time. I couldn't help but notice your comment about losing weight so I hope you don't mind a comment about it from someone who has been in the same situation with his weight. Nineteen months ago I weighed 391 pounds. I was near death and I had to do something so I did some research and went on the strictest of diets. Exercise was not an option since I have less than 50% heart function. I now weigh 216 and feel like a new man. Hopefully you can get your weight to a place where you feel comfortable with it and hopefully we can both get back to enjoying the smoking that we grew up with in the 60's and 70's which was so much a part of out culture. Give me a shout any time and we'll see how this works out for us.
    By the way... I had forgotten about the aspirin regimen and want to thank you for reminding me. Actually, I quit taking all of my medication when I began my diet because I felt it was making me constantly hungry and didn't seem to be doing me much good. I don't recommend this approach but I was at my rope's end. I am back on the two meds mentioned above and hoping to be able to enjoy life like I did before I got so fat. I'm also banking on the marijuana to give me both enjoyment and medicinal benefits... hence the choice of Blueberry for my grow. After reading this thread I may go to a 100% Indica next but we will see.
    Take care.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm using Sativa based cookies for my pain and sleeping problems. For some reason I sleep better with using Sativa than the Indigo. Lately my blood pressure is very high related to menopause.
    My question is, will the Sativa based cookie help me with the high blood pressure as well, or should I see if I can find Indigo based cookies? I can't smoke the medical Marijuana, I cough like crazy.
    Thank you.
    Last edited by aquario96818; 04-06-2016 at 06:22 PM. Reason: Misspelled

Post Thanks / Like

I smoked some Northern Lights last night and my blood pressure went down from 160/110 to 128/82. I had been smoking Indica strains and Indica dominant hybrids for years to help me sleep. I did not know it was also beneficial in lowering my blood pressure. I just found out after buying a blood pressure monitor. Even if it isn't perfectly accurate, it does at least show you the significant drop in pressure along with the expected short term rise in heart rate. Mine went up from 73 to 87 for about an hour although I smoke daily. I think the benefit of lowering my blood pressure from a dangerously high level to a normal level far outweighs the small increase in heart rate.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12