Marijuana and high blood pressure

SmokeSessions

I was just browsing some articles on 420magazine.com and found a few where they state that marijuana actually helps control high blood pressure. As someone who suffers from high blood pressure, I was under the impression that it was quite the opposite. I have limited my pot use since I was diagnosed with high blood pressure, and take prescribed medication to control it.

Does anyone have any FACTS linking marijuana use and high blood pressure control? I have no interest in consuming pot via food or teas, only via a vapourizer or with a joint. I know smoking anything is bad for high blood pressure, but I have found when eating or drinking cannabis, I am no longer in control of my 'high' and don't like the unexpected feelings when the high kicks in. Any viable sources out there?

If you stick to calm, controlled environments, and keep to an indica dom strain, you will have very little increased heart rate. This is the reason to watch your intake, if you have high BP, increase in heart rate can make it worse. But overall, like all body fuctions, Cannabinoids regulate. They can slow breathing, bring heart rate down, and decrease BP.

I would steer clear of the Stronger Sativa strains. And stick to the vape.

This may help

X6100tmp2.jpg

Since being diagnosed with High Blood Pressure, I have found that my heart rate often is faster when using cannabis. If i get "too high," then I have panic attacks. This has only been the case for about 2-3 years now, prior I was fine. never could be "too high" then, but now, more than a few tokes is too much for me to "handle.." It's weird, I dont know why this has occured.

Boss, do you want a copy of the book this came from? It's called "Med Use of Cannabis - Information for Med Practitioners" It was written by Andrew Kavasilas and is a remarkable document. For others other than staff, this can be ordered from Medical Cannabis Information Service Andrew is a part of the team at the Nimbin Hemp Embassy, and this book I consider better than a PhD thesis. I am distributing it to doctors here in Canberra. It is a guide to doctors in prescribing mmj

Where can I buy it? I will order one.

As for the Indica Strains. I reccomend growing this. You will have to dose very sparing, a very little bit will do the job. Also grow it till you are at 75% amber for a more calming effect. They say the vaporizer stops most of the increased heart rate, because your body isn't fighting off toxins in your lungs, increading blood pressure.

This is available from dope-seeds-

White Russian
These seeds produce plants that are fantastic in both appearance and effect. Our most typically indica strain, White Russian is a stable cross of AK-47 and White Widow (a prize winning indica clone). Medium height, consistent plants and dense, very resinous flower tops (crystals appear after about 5 weeks of flowering). With such a strong indica background, the plants smell quite strong during both their growth and flowering period. In an independent seed comparison in which over 150 different seedstrains were grown out in a greenhouse, the White Russian came out as the strongest plant (22% THC, likely to be the strongest plant known at present!!).

Winner of the overall Cannabis Cup in 1996 and of the Cup for Best Bio Grass in 1997. The plants yield very powerful buds, coated with resin.
Very strong, long lasting high, more cerebral than knockout. Medicinal plant.

Type: mostly indica
Indoor clone grow time: 5 - 10 days
Indoor flowering time: 56 - 63 days
Indoor yield: 350 - 500 grams/m2
Outside/ Greenhouse harvest time;
15-31 October

Eating cannabis cooking may be better, some say so.
Vaporizing is definately better than smoking.
Try it all. :cheesygrinsmiley: Then tell us how you're doing.

I have a personal need for BP control,
denial isn't working too well.
Maybe I'll try an extra dose of procrastination.

Yes ,stick to the indica.I have smoked for 40 some years and untill a few years ago I didn't know about "The 2 different kinds of weed" Indica and Sativa.... I always wondered why some pot was "Motor weed" and some layed you back.Hmmmm well now i know.I can't handle Sativa. i never liked to be paranoid,but i just thought some weed did that. Well now i know.I only smoke Indica now.Look up on a seed catalog site and they will tell whats what as far as different strains go.When i think of so many friends that quit smoking and went on to be drinkers.All because they got "wierded out"by smoking pot.Well it was that sativa they were smoking... I now tell them to try it again but with %100 percent Indica. They laughed and smiled !!! and enjoyed it. So all you with high blood pressure (myself included) stick to Indica and see if it helps. Happy trails,Red

Eating cannabis cooking may be better, some say so.
Vaporizing is definately better than smoking.
Try it all. :cheesygrinsmiley: Then tell us how you're doing.

Careful on the cookies, brownies, etc when munchies hit. Be patient enough to wait for the effect instead of talking yourself into eating "just another little one". I overdid it once. Heart was beating fast enough I was afraid to move for a couple of hours. Tried to watch some tube but I was hallucinating. Generally I think that is cool but I was definitely way over-baked.

The whole-body tonic benefit for general well being and even specific harms healed may be a separate effect from the one that gets you high. I read that leaves can provide this same benefit, but won't screw up your head even if you eat enough to fix what ails ya. Juice them.
Once a day I have a hit, because it's good. I don't like to get twisted more often.

If I nod out at my desk, my cat will wake me up, rudely. I can roar my displeasure, but he knows I'm a paper gator :smokin:

I don't have any ailments that im stuck with for life thankfully, having a slipped disc in my back at the moment has made me appreciate what some people have to deal with every day, battle on people! ive made a very potent tincture that I believe to be the ultimate healing form of cannabis. at a low dose it is a pain killer similar to low codeine meds and at high doses it can knock you out for hours regardless of pain levels. I find my heart rate lowers and im certain it would lower blood pressure. not sure it would be a long term 'cure' tho. One thing I will say, it may be the sleep it induces or the herb itself, but with joint pain, muscle pain or something completely different such as a bad flu, a good dose of this two days in a row has never failed to fix any minor problems iv had. id be lying if I said it sorted my slipped disc in two days but I haven't taken any anti-inflamitories or chemical pain killers and the doctors are none the wiser... that to me is a good thing!

I experienced lowering in my blood pressure after I smoke. But this is obvious since everything that relaxes you, lowers the blood pressure.

FYI - your body will adjust to the marijuana once you stay regular on it - just like pain pills - you get used to the effects. Newbies will almost always feel their heart racing - but that will fade as the body gets used to you using marijuana.

I am a retired nurse assistant on a cardiac unit.

It is some stress related - I stopped taking norvasc after a few months on medical marijuana - my BP was getting lower! Without it I do fine now. I do take cholesterol meds now - genetic family.

When I was pot free working at the hospital I frequently hit 200/100 (yea thats BP!) once I left that high stress job and started smoking to chill (quit drinking) - my BP is now about 138/78

As long as you check your BP and it works - then you can consider stopping BP meds. That is the key here - monitor.

DN

Since being diagnosed with High Blood Pressure, I have found that my heart rate often is faster when using cannabis. If i get "too high," then I have panic attacks. This has only been the case for about 2-3 years now, prior I was fine. never could be "too high" then, but now, more than a few tokes is too much for me to "handle.." It's weird, I dont know why this has occured.
I am sensing I have the same feeling and thought it was just my mind and anxiety, but I am sure it's something sometimes I feel fine and I'm high all over but over 60% of the time my heads pounding with pressure and I can't focus or think I'm too high to even be awake and handle anything. Is this how you were feeling?

I was just browsing some articles on 420magazine.com and found a few where they state that marijuana actually helps control high blood pressure. As someone who suffers from high blood pressure, I was under the impression that it was quite the opposite. I have limited my pot use since I was diagnosed with high blood pressure, and take prescribed medication to control it.

I'm nearly 65 and was put on meds for high blood pressure about a month and a half ago. I also obtained the medical marijuana card for arthritis and have discovered that the medical marijuana can interact with the meds. There is an additive effect with one or more of the meds because marijuana generally lowers blood pressure and raises the pulse rate. My blood pressure becomes a little too low, which at one very unpleasant point the first night I tried just one puff left me hovering just above fainting for a couple of hours with a blood pressure as low as 77/46. In speaking with my doctor about this, who previously had told me there should be no drug interaction as far as he knew, he recommended I do not take the evening meds if I choose to smoke marijuana instead, in essence controlling my blood pressure with the meds during the day and with the pot as an "alternative method" at night. I now can smoke more of it and the more potent strains but had to drop the metoprolol completely because of the very low pulse rates it may cause, and in addition have greatly reduced the other meds with his knowledge. "As long as your blood pressure is low, I'm happy," he's told me. And it is. I now take only 5mg. of lisinopril (vs. the 20mg. a day they had me on for a short time) in the morning with an aspirin and begin treating myself with the marijuana in the evenings. I feel a little funny at first because the lisinopril is still in my system (it supposedly peaks after seven long hours), but as time goes by in the evening, I can smoke a little more with no interaction felt or noted. If I feel good enough at the end of the evening, I take 10 mg of simvastatin as an anticholesterol measure (1/4 of the 40mg. dose they had me on before that). The biggest thing I note with the weed is the way it makes you feel while on the very restrictive diet. Getting close to the full 2gram limit for sodium, and at least 1800 calories to slowly lose a bit more weight, makes me feel best.

Back
Top Bottom