Marijuana and Bipolar Disorder

Jim Finnel

Fallen Cannabis Warrior & Ex News Moderator
In bipolar or manic-depressive disorder, the inconsolable misery of major depression alternates with mania or uncontrolled elation. In the manic phase people with bipolar disorder are cheerful, gregarious, talkative, energetic, and hyperactive. Their spending is often extravagant and their behavior reckless. They may imagine that they have extraordinary talents and are or soon will be rich and powerful. This reckless, restless cheerfulness and expansiveness can suddenly turn into incoherent agitation, irritability, rage, paranoia, or grandiose delusions.

Antidepressants alone are not a good treatment for bipolar disorder and may even make it worse. Lithium carbonate, introduced into medicine at about the same time as tricyclics, has revolutionized the treatment of bipolar disorder. It prevents mania and to a lesser extent bipolar depression. Although lithium takes several weeks to start working, its success rate is about 70 percent and 20 percent of patients are completely freed of their symptoms. Patients generally require long-term maintenance treatment, and because lithium can be toxic it must be used carefully. Chronic use may endanger the heart, kidneys, and thyroid gland. Usually the dose is gradually increased until the drug begins to work and then periodically readjusted according to the patient’s age, medical condition, and psychiatric symptoms. The amount of lithium in the blood must be checked regularly because it is ineffective if too low and risky if too high. Some side effects are weight gain, hand tremors, drowsiness, and excessive thirst or urination. Patients often cannot tolerate lithium either because of the side effects or because it takes some of the joy from their lives along with the manic episodes. It has been described as a "loose-fitting emotional straitjacket." Only 20 percent of patients with bipolar disorder take lithium alone. Other drugs used in the treatment of bipolar disorder are the anticonvulsants carbamazepine (Tegretol) and valproic acid (Depakote), which may be used either alone or in combination with lithium.

John Frederick Wilson is a forty-two-year-old man who suffers from rapid cycling bipolar disorder. He has been hospitalized several times during manic episodes and has been treated with many conventional medicines:

There is a history of mental illness in my family. My parents and most of my relatives suffer from various mood disorders, and I myself have had manic-depressive disorder for more than twenty-five years. My symptoms are dynamic and occur in clusters of changing intensity. Sometimes mania dominates, sometimes depression, and I have no way of knowing which it will be or for how long.

In my manic periods, I feel as though I am flying, gliding effortlessly through the day with an ever-increasing sense of wonderment and delight. My body feels charged with energy. I talk rapidly and forcefully without finishing my sentences, and I constantly interrupt others. Colors appear brighter. Time seems to go by twice as fast as usual. I lose my appetite and can’t sleep more than two hours a night. Sometimes I go three days without sleeping, and when I do sleep, I awaken like a rocket leaving the pad— instantly alert, feeling as though I have had no rest at all. The situation is especially unbearable when I am recuperating from fever and physical illness while unable to sit still or stop talking.

Soon I lose control of my moods and sensations. My skin becomes highly sensitive to touch, and my clothing is a constant source of irritation. Taste and smell become so acute that odors I usually enjoy seem offensive and may trigger a headache. I hear imaginary muffled voices and tunes. Tears may flow regardless of how I feel. As my thoughts continue to race, I lose my ability to concentrate and become extremely anxious—an anxiety that may turn into either elation or rage. I feel all-powerful at one moment and suicidal the next. I make plans and promises that I will not even remember at the end of the day. I spend money on things I do not need and give away substantial sums to total strangers. I feel compelled to telephone old friends, running up hundreds of dollars in phone bills. Strangers are often drawn to me because my contagious enthusiasm, but I may unexpectedly lose patience with them and verbally assault them. At one moment I may be speeding through traffic, cutting other drivers off and running red lights; a few minutes later I feel calm and at a loss to explain my reckless behavior. At times my libido goes off the scale and I have intercourse with several women on the same day.

Eventually depression takes over. I become so physically ill that I am too weak to function. I have no appetite and lose 25 pounds. My skin is dry; I ache all over. The world seems drab and dull. I want nothing to do with other people, and I feel as though my presence is a burden to them. I do not even want to answer the phone or go to the door. I cannot carry on a conversation, because everything people say to me seems like a cruel attack. Activities that usually bring pleasure seem foreign to me. I am overwhelmingly anxious and feel as though I have never done anything right in my life. I am also extremely indecisive; a simple task like brushing my teeth takes all morning to plan and complete. Just when I think the agony cannot possibly get worse, it does. It seems as though it is never going to end. It is as if there is no future, no present, and no past—an eternal void. I contemplate suicide.

My mind and body are ravished by these constant shifts in mood. I have been treated with individual counseling, group therapy, and twenty-five prescription drugs. They have all been ineffective. At age forty I decided that conventional medication was doing more to compromise my health than restore it. In May of 1995, at the suggestion of a psychologist who has known me for many years, I decided to quit my other medications and rely on cannabis to treat my disorder.

It was not the first time I had tried marihuana. I first used it at age fifteen, and I was impressed by its effect on my symptoms even then. As a child and adolescent, I had suffered from constant anxiety, headaches, nausea, nosebleeds, uncontrollable weeping, and recurrent nightmares. I was extremely sensitive and easily upset, but I also was capable of sleeping so deeply that once I did not stir when an Air Force jet crashed and exploded within a mile of my house. Most of the time I was shy and withdrawn, with a sense of impending doom, but on rare occasions I would suddenly feel euphoric and out of control. Perhaps worst of all were my destructive rages, in which minor irritation would quickly become uncontrollable and I would destroy my belongings. These rages were extremely unpleasant, both mentally and physically, and left me exhausted when they subsided. >From the beginning, I regarded the supposed euphoria produced by marihuana as overrated. I was more struck by the improved mood that endured long after the so-called "high." I soon began seeking a wide variety of friends, and my life-long sense of anxiety disappeared. I gradually overcame my shyness and began to develop a better understanding of people. My tendency to overreact diminished. The bedwetting ceased, and the headaches became less frequent and intense. My uncontrollable crying stopped, and my tendency to rage was curbed. I was not the poster boy for mental health, but I was much more productive than I had been.

Unfortunately, like most people at the time I allowed the scare tactics of the day to affect me. I stopped using marihuana at seventeen, and within weeks I was in a private hospital being treated for major depression and thinking about suicide. After six weeks of therapy with little progress, I obtained some marihuana on a home visit, and immediately thoughts of suicide were replaced with plans for the future. Several days later I was released and told the doctor that I had decided to use marihuana to treat my symptoms. He agreed that it was effective but refused to document the finding. A pattern emerged in the next twenty-three years as I repeatedly quit using marihuana and started again. I stopped using it and dropped out of high school. When I started again, I graduated and received awards. I stopped using marihuana and dropped out of college, then started again and earned my degree. When I stopped using marihuana I was fired, and when I started again I got a new job. Then a random drug screen detected it, and I was suspended. Since resuming my therapeutic use of cannabis permanently two years ago, I have no longer had to endure the disastrous consequences of improper treatment. My manic episodes are much milder; I am simply energetic, focused, and productive. Even more remarkably, I have not had any episodes of major depression in the last two years. It is refreshing to experience normal sadness without becoming suicidal. Cannabis calms me and focuses my attention. It makes me more patient with people. I can eat and sleep more regularly.

There is no drug-induced euphoria, and I do not look or act incapacitated. Family members, friends, neighbors, and health care professionals often comment on how much I have improved. I still have some difficulty getting enough sleep, but I do not feel tired all the time. I am enjoying an emotional stability and productivity I never knew to be possible before. If I do not use cannabis, all my symptoms return. My condition becomes unbearable for me and everyone near me. Many physicians have recommended that I continue to use it.

When I began to use cannabis therapeutically, I smoked two to four puffs every four to six hours. But I am concerned about the effect on my lungs, and I do not want to worry about the odor or about finding a safe place to inhale. Now I smoke rarely—only when I need an immediate effect because of one of my unpredictable mood changes, or when I have to stop myself from obsessing about an unpleasant past experience and concentrate on the present instead.

Most of the time eating cannabis works better for me, and I think it is healthier. Two to three grams taken in the morning last me all day. I put the crushed cannabis in an empty frying pan, apply medium heat, and stir it until a wisp of smoke appears. Then I reduce the heat to low and add a tablespoon of butter and sometimes a pinch of salt or sugar. I tilt the frying pan before adding the butter to keep the mixture concentrated. I sauté the cannabis for eight to ten minutes, remove it from heat, and immerse the bottom of the pan in an inch of cold water in my kitchen sink, adding several ice cubes. Five minutes later I have a cool green paste which I roll into a ball and eat. I have found that in my therapeutic use of cannabis, potency is not as important as variety. I would rather have two or more varieties of moderate potency than one of high potency. The indicas are very effective in controlling my mania, partly because they have a very relaxing effect on my body. The sativas also curb my mania, and they are the most effective medication I have ever used for depression.

Wilson’s mother, Polly Wilmoth, confirms his account:

John has worked hard over the years to survive his life-threatening disease. I have suffered through it with him, and I have seen the devastation that conventional medication brings. Year after year we were told that a safe new drug would soon be out. Year after year we were told that it was just a matter of adjusting the dose. And year after year we were told that what works for one patient does not necessarily work for another. That last statement, at least, could not be more true as it applies to my son and the use of cannabis. I am very proud of the progress he has made in the last two years and believe that he should have legal access to cannabis therapy.

by
John Frederick Wilson

Wow I can relate and sympathize. I have been on tegretol and depakote in the past. While the medication helped it got too expensive for me since I have no insurance. Also, I didn't like the side effects which was severe weight gain and hair loss. The candy has been a life saver. I am more focused and calm but not a zombie.

I know it works because I have the same issues for over 20 yrs so good luck also change your bread and rice from white to brown it does help as well.

Good article. I am bipolar and smoke on a daily basis. Smoking when I feel enraged and about to go manic seems to completely quells me almost immediately. I can take a couple of hits every couple of hours and be more stabilized emotionally than I could when I was on ANY of my BP medications.

The marijuana may not be triggering the bipolar disorder. Instead, the subjects of the study may be smoking marijuana to cope with their moods. People with bipolar disorder often report that drugs and alcohol reduce incidence of damaging manias while allowing them to still feel good. It only stands to reason, then, that they would want to abuse drugs and alcohol. This works for a while, then turns on the individual, often leading to another problem.

As I read the article I was amazed at the fact that I could've written it myself. My story differs in that I was severely abused (as I look back I believe that my mother is also bipolar) and I was a musician. Music was my life yet when I took the prescription drugs; I became an uncaring zombie. I got to where I didn't want to hear music anymore ( it hurt too much) much less sing or play.

The funny thing was I didn't even know I was bi-polar till I quit smoking pot. I had become a christian. My then new wife said to me " Paul most people have their ups and downs but you are worse than an extreme roller coaster. You don't just go up and down; you shoot straight skyward like a rocket then you fall but not just to hit the ground you go thru till I am scared that you will kill yourself" That was now almost 2 decades ago and I have been thru many drugs and doctors. I have given the establishment more than a fair shake with nothing but new suffering and failure. I have gone into total kidney failure and now have diabetic neuropathy thanks to their so called treatments. The useless painkillers are not only worthless (I have no idea why people like oxycontin) but it has made me so constipated that I have been bleeding anally for almost 8 years now. I suffer with pain to an extreme and no longer have a life to speak of. If I could find some pot I would jump on it with much thought and consideration. To hell with the establishment if they don't like it I'll gladly trade with them and watch how fast they start toking up.

Wow! what a great artical. I think the medical posts are my favorite because it shows how much this wonderful plant relieves and heals peoples coditions. If uneducated and missinformed people would study the facts, the conspiracy thereoies would dissapeer into concrete facts. Marijuana rules. Red wine is my second favorite. SMOKE ON, SAMWISEE.:thanks:

I've been doing the candy for 8 months now & it has really helped my mood especially at work. I have a lot more patience which the customers really appreciate. It has also been great when it comes to work drama as now I don't care about the drama. The owner of where I work at has been trying to stir up things but to no avail. I am just too mellow and don't give a crap about his mind games anymore. LOL!

I have posted before on YouTube...how I have been making less expensive hemp oil medicine by using the leaves instead of the buds. Yes, in the administration of the leaf oil as medicine the amount I recommend is about 1/2 to 3/4 teaspoon, twice daily. I know Mr. Simpson recommends about 1/8 tsp or less twice daily of the medicinal oil made from "bud"....but taking a little more dosage of "leaf" oil seems to meet the THC requirement. Because hemp oil medicine made from cannabis leaves of a mature plant in bud...is cheaper, uses the leaves, and does not entail using an expensive solvent.

The method is to bring to a boil a large, stainless steel, soup pot 3/4 full of Indica leaves (indica to relax and sativa to energize....indica for anxiety and sativa leaves for depression)....using 3 quarts of water and 2 cups top grade,cold pressed, extra virgin olive oil (or organic coconut oil is also excellent) Next, just like with Chinese medicinal herbs, simmer the leaf mixture for about 3 1/2 hours with a lid on...stir occassionally. Then strain the cannabis leaf, water, oil mixture through a metal sieve into a smaller stainless steel pot (squeeze out as much oil from the leaves as possible)....Put the saucepan into the freezer for 4 hours or until the water is frozen,,, and then the hemp oil can be scraped off the top with a rubber spatula ....Place oil in a sealed glass container in a regular fridge for storage. 1/2 to 3/4 tsp ....morning, afternoon, (bedtime is usually not necessary).....
If more is used the experience will go from a general feeling of emotional balance...to one of being 'high'. I have assumed that the emotional balance 'state' is what the patient is seeking for healing purposes. Because the client will become very 'stoned' if 1 tsp or more is used at a time, there seems to be no doubt in my mind that the amount of THC within the leaf oil medicine is enough to bestow health-giving benefits in the long run.

The leaves were free....and the olive oil or organic coconut oil is the only expense. The above recipe makes enough for six months....1 3/4 cups hemp oil medicine.

I Just found out that I also have bipolar disorder and adhd and have been misdiagnosed for years and recently on the wrong meds. I changed my meds but now im getting headaches,and just feel, blah kinda numb. Weed defintely chills me out when i get super anxious or angry. if i smoke too much or the wrong strain i'll get couch lock and not very productive. so i want to experiment with different strains. Bipolar disorder has cost me many a job. I just thought the jobs sucked ,but the whole time it was me.What a bummer to find out this late. Meanwhile it cost me my last job. I'm broke with a new born baby and a wife who just doesn't get it and is not the most supportive.She's paying all the bills now which is becoming a drain. Things seem to be disolving rapidly.
I wish mmj was legal here cause I'd get a script. quick. just my two cents

Sorry to hear of your job loss due to the bipolar. Yes, sometimes you do have to experiment with your intake so you won't wind up on the couch all day zoning out. Luckily for me I am a lightweight when it comes to my edibles. I am still going strong at work after 10 months of eating it. Hope things get better for you soon.

Proper diet, nutrition, and clean water as the chosen drinking fluid are the foundation for physical and emotional well-being.

Dr. Abraham Hoffer M.D., Ph.D., F.R.C.P.S. (Canada) has researched and tested extensively the use of megavitamins to treat Psychosis.
SCHIZOPHRENIA - THERE IS HOPE AND SCHIZOPHRENIA CAN BE CURED. IT IS A BIOCHEMICAL IMBALANCE

ORTHOMOLECULAR BIZ

Even though the next link I am offering you is more of a discussion on how corporations are influencing governmental law.....however, within the next documentary a fellow tells his story about his bi-polar, schizophrenic wife who committed suicide .....and then discusses how he came to research with another concerned person some methods to prevent his two children from falling into the same illness.

He states that his children were exhibiting symptoms of bi-polar, schizophrenia....and with his research, discovered that mega vitamins and minerals taken daily, removed the symptoms over time.
Here is the link: A QUESTION OF SOVEREIGNTY - a film by Kevin P. Miller on Vimeo

Whether it is for profit or eugenics...the toxic effects to our bodies from eating processed, packaged, genetic-modified foods is increasing.

The harmful side-effects of food additives, hydrogenated oils/margerine, genetic modified foods, aspartime, cloned beef and cloned salmon...
YouTube - Food: The Ultimate Secret Exposed - PT 1/2

This was a great post i too have suffered from bi polar tho mostly i expressed my mania and depression as rage and was always lashing out and fighting it really made my life miserable i never seemed to be happy i was always mad. Ive tried a bunch of meds, i was on the lithium and depakote, but also respirdal, seroquel, neurotin, and a few others that i cant remember the names of. The meds never worked they made me feel disconnected from myself if that makes anysence. The lithium i started at around 14 and it really felt like it just sucked all my feelings out. It worked in the sence that i wasnt expressing rage but the problem was i wasnt expressing ANYTHING so i stopped taking it. Next my lovely doctor decided to give me 1200MGs of seroquel to take in the morning and another 1200 at night. That did nothing but put me in a coma. Same thing happened with trazadone. Thorzine had to be the worst of them all it was like lithium and seroquel combined it was awful. I started to get really bummed out thinking there was nothing out there that would help. Now at this point i was still a teen and i ofcourse had smoked weed before. I remember sitting there feeling like nothing would ever work for me. But then i remembered just how better i was when i was high. How i could control my thoughts and actions alot better. So from that day on i decided to use cannabis as my medicine. It has been the best medication i have ever used. I still get angry from time to time but who doesnt, and its nothing like my old fits of rage where i would try to physically harm anyone/thing in my path. Everyone notices how great this works for me. Its amazing its really a miracle plant. Without it i could be dead or in prison right now, it was really that bad. But there is one problem i currently live in a state with NO medical marijuana laws in effect. Were working on the bill being passed but even then the list of conditions they would give you cannabis for is short and bi polar is not on there. Hopefully come local election time we can get this dueche outta there and get Tom Wolfe in there. He is completely for medical marijuana. Untill then i will continue to buy and use pot illegally with no shame. This plant has helped me so much. Its helped me beat a powerful addiction to opiates, and alcohol. Its good to see that im not alone and that this plant is working its magic for other people who need it

Back
Top Bottom