Medical Breakthrough! Medicinal Marijuana for Diabetics!

Jim Finnel

Fallen Cannabis Warrior & Ex News Moderator
The medical literature has very few citations in regard to any direct effect of cannabis on blood sugar levels. These citations are sometimes contradictory. Despite the lack of research, a large body of anecdotal evidence is building amongst diabetic sufferers that medical cannabis may help stabilize blood sugar. One suggested method that may be responsible is the reduction in catecholamines and/or stress related hormones (glucocorticoids) that is caused by cannabis.

Many cannabinoids act primarily to inhibit prostaglandins and COX-2, while providing powerful anti-oxidant properties to salvage free radicals, and inhibit macrophage and TNF. All of this means that cannabis is an excellent anti-inflammatory that lacks the side effects of steroids (which diabetics have to avoid), the NSAIDS, and the COX-2 inhibitors like Vioxx. This anti-inflammatory action may help quell some of the arterial inflammation common in diabetes.

Cannabis is also neuroprotective. It is believed that much of neuropathy comes from the inflammation of nerves caused by glycoproteins in the blood that deposit in peripheral tissues and trigger an immune response. Cannabis helps protect the nerve covering (myelin sheath) from inflammatory attack. Cannabis also lessens the pain of neuropathy by activating receptors in the body and brain. Some components of cannabis (perhaps cannibidiol) act as anti-spasmodic agents similar to the far more toxic anti-convulsants like Neurontin. This action of cannabis helps relieve diabetic muscle cramps and GI upset.

Two other major actions of cannabis can benefit the diabetic. The first is helping to keep blood vessels open and improving circulation. Cannabis is a vasodilator and works well to improve blood flow. The second action is how cannabis can reduce blood pressure over time. While cannabis is not generally thought to be an anti-hypertensive and is no replacement for ACE inhibitors, it does contribute to lower blood pressure which is vital in diabetes management.

Finally, cannabis used in food products not only provides long lasting blood levels of key cannabinoids but, in addition, cannabis butter and oil substitute triple bonded fatty acids for the saturated fats normally contained in these essential cooking products. This substitution will benefit cardiac and arterial health in general.

Most diabetics learn very early that maintenance of good blood sugar is most easily achieved when patients or their caregivers cook as opposed to eating fast food or prepared foods. Cooking not only provides superior nutrition necessary to treat diabetes but also is a form of physical therapy for diabetic hands that suffer from neuropathy. Of course, diabetics should take caution with any flames or hot objects.

Cannabis may also be used to make topical creams (mixed with aloe vera and/or emu oil) that can be applied directly to hands and feet affected by neuropathic pain and tingling.

Night time can be particularly difficult for diabetics. A syndrome known as "restless leg syndrome" (RLS) is common. Cannabis helps still RLS which is otherwise treated with quinine and/or muscle relaxants like Flexaril. For night time it is recommended that patients use a vaporizer or smoked cannabis to aid in falling asleep. If night time hypoglycemia is a problem then a cannabis cookie can be very helpful. Cannabis cookies are great treatment so long as portion control is exercised.

Source

Good Article! well worth reading! :smokin:
No doubt in my mind it helps stabilize my blood sugar levels.
I hate taking diabetes medications too many side effects.

I though I would post this here since it relates........

Same here I have been a diabetic for 12 years now, I use 2 kinds of insulin, low carb diet and 2 pills a day and I smoke a lot...actually my insulin amounts during the day, while smoking, eating brownies, and smokin oil have no affect except for the sugar in the brownies. Not to worry my sugar reading for 3 months A1C test is 6.4 well under what a diabetic should be.

this is good to know since my mother is a diabetic, and is wanting to smoke but doesnt know the side effect. I am glad the marijuana can help her:morenutes:

As a type II (non insulin dependent) diabetic I am interested in any new medical research available with cannabis in this area. With several additional orthopedic problems I must look primarily to diet and oral medication to control my blood sugar rather than vigorous exercise.

With cannabis acting as an appetite stimulant you can see that weight gain is something to be avoided for any Diabetic. While still needing to use mj to control Peripheral Neuropathy and Retinopathy and other chronic back pain I would like to find a natural supplement that might help to stabilize my appetite/weight and still give me the other benefits.

Until these concerns are addressed using mj medically for Diabetes can be seen as a bit of an oxymoron. Any ideas or feedback? ;) = :popcorn:

With regular dosing intervals, and the beneficial hypoglycemic effects of the cannabis, my appetite is actually quite reduced and I'm currently having GREAT success (unlike I've EVER achieved previously) with making better dietary choices as I'm eating to acquire nutrition (rather than mere calories) rather than to fulfill some emotional/sensory need.

I received my type II dx. about a year and a half ago, had been symptomatic for perhaps as long as seven or eight years. My rx. regimen consists only of 3 iu Lantus qd, 500 mg Metformin tid and smoked or vaporized cannabis ~ q 2 h during waking hours at home.

Since making time to increase my exercise slightly, I've reduced my insulin dose by 300% (was using 28 iu qd), the Metformin script was for 1000mg bid, but I'm feeling much better with fewer side effects at its lower dose and my sugar levels (hovering throughout the day between 95 - 120 mg/dl) have stabilized quite dramatically, particularly when I can regularly use moderate amounts of cannabis at regular intervals.

As much as one could consider such a thing as a control in this anecdotal study in progress, when I abstain from the cannabis for relatively long periods, e.g., work hours, I find it more difficult to keep my blood glucose stable even with grazing of fresh vegetables and yogurt. I'm reluctant to ingest a bolus, e.g., candy bar, when I have been so close to symptom free.

I realize there is nothing controlled about what I'm observing, but I know from past experiences before I sought medical care, was symptomatic, and was not yet a medical marijuana patient, my appetite and subsequent weight control was directly linked to my regular cannibis use. When my sources dried up and I took a two-year break from all cannabis use, that was the period during which I sought attention from a physician, began addressing my condition, had to choose another physician for insurance reasons, began using cannabis about four months ago, have shed forty pounds and am looking forward to following up with my physician in just a few days to re-assess my condition.

Yes. This is entirely anecdotal evidence, yet it seems to be beginning to cascade a bit toward a sort of critical mass, doesn't it?

Good article .. If only weed wasn't such a taboo subject and was actually looked into further I am sure it could benefit millions! Been a type one diabetic for 15 years and recently did a little research myself.. My HbA1C was perfect before I did this, had the best control I had for years!! Basically stopped smoking and my sugar levels were up and down, all over the place, just couldn't find a middle ground. Started again, back on form! I repeated this to ensure that it wasn't a fluke and everytime, I had the same results! I have no doubt at all that weed helps control my diabetes now : )

I do approximately 300 shots a month and have severe neuropathy throughout my body. My weight has never been a problem so increased appetite from medicating with MMJ would be a bonus. Has there been any research in regards to MMJ reducing spasticity ? If so how much would one have to medicate to find relief? Thanks for any info that you can provide

Being an insulin dependant diabetic for the last 10 years administrating 4 injections a day of 3 + humalog with every meal and a 24 hour back ground insulin lantus once a day, i find the comment of cannabis effect on blood suger levels is just pure nonsence, any educated diabetic will know sugar levels are controled by good managerment of diet and exercise...

Nerve problems i find it helps with is carpal tunnel, i have inflamation problems including tendonitis and the beginning on set of rheumatoid arthritis which i find smoking cannabis to relieve the pain and aid easy sleeping when the pain is at its worst.:thumb:

I have always known mweed helped my sugar response become a positive experience, but the best part is that it is time released with each breath once inhaled, so that if I am more active and breathe harder it is flowing more rapidly etc. Plus the digestive complaints associated with diabetes is never interfered with by medicating through smoke. Conversely I find it less effective to eat it rather than to smoke it. I have tested this all on my blood sugar meter. The response is immediate and I find my pot craving a better predictor and treatment than standard insulin which I had to buy illegally also-!- my numbers were not high enough I would veritably have to enter a coma to get insulin legally. But the doctor recommended a meter.

Back
Top Bottom