Pets and marijuana

DigitalNomad

I have been monitoring my cats and dog using marijuana.

They primarily go for the fresh sun leaves, not buds on the plant.

My boston terrier - about 18 pounds has accidentally ingested a gram of hash. She was tipping over, looking scared, vomiting, and sleepy for 24 hours. When she just eats leaves, she can appear tipsy, and confused, drowsy.

the dog and cat seem to make effort to obtain marijuana leaves - either when I trim or out of the grow itself.
It is like they know it causes an effect on them. Both animals have aging problems that can cause pain, arthritis, cataracts, chronic pain.

Vets do warn that overdose can happen and it can result in a heart attack in animals. My dog's skin will break out when she eats too much leaf.

After a dosing incident, the pets seem to have a few perky days of acting younger. There is a message here..

DN

Hi DigitaNomad,

Same thing happened to my Yorkie... I was trimming and a nug feel under the table and on clean-up I missed it and she ate the whole bud with the same effects you mentioned. She had cotton mouth so bad the Wife had to apply water to her tongue so it would move. She was out of it for over 8 hrs, then got o.k. and apparently got the munchies. Also I have to be very careful when making concentrate because she will find a spot on my clothing and start licking ... she loves the concentrate over the leaf for sure. It made me very aware to be extra cautious. Never got the message from the Vet about heart attacks...but makes since when that euphoric your heart can certainly beat irregular for sure, especially in smaller animals. That being said, when the wife and I do our night dose the wife lets our Yorkie have two licks of the film residue of her finger for quite some time, seems very stable and healthy. Seems the concentrate doesn't have the allergic affects that the leaves, shake or bud can cause .... none that I know of so far. Nice post !

Since cannabis is not psychoactive until heated it's hard to understand these reactions (e.g. "when she just eats leaves, she can appear tipsy, and confused, drowsy;" "she had cotton mouth so bad the Wife had to apply water to her tongue so it would move. She was out of it for over 8 hrs, then got o.k. and apparently got the munchies."). Are you saying that these animals got high from raw cannabis or did they also have cannabis that was heated (decarboxylated), like a concentrate? "Acting younger" is less surprising because there's no question that raw cannabis has multiple health benefits.

I cannot speak for others but yes, my Yorkie got extremely high from eating high grade cannabis (a small bud). She didn't want to eat or drink (we where trying to help bring her down) and yes the wife applied water to her tongue because it was so dry to help keep it moist.

The wife and I use cannabis concentrated oil for our medical issues. When we are done taking our meds and a small film is left on our finger our Yorkie will take one or two quick licks at night before going to bed. She has been doing this for some time (over a year) and not only expects it but demands it. She is very healthy.

Yes the cannabis concentrated oil used the decarboxylation process. Yes I'm saying our Yorkie got high from eating a cannabis flower after it was grown, harvested and cured properly.

Cannot speak of eating the leaves. Not my experience.

My post was to make sure you pay attention to your medications so this doesn't happen to your pets, as well as children.

Back
Top Bottom