Has anyone tried a MMJ salve or lotion on a pet?

McIDDI

Hey, folks.

My pug has been on MMJ for severe arthritis for about six months. It has been a rousing success. However, she had new X-rays done recently, and her arthritis is progressing, and she now has hip dysplasia as well. I think her edible dose is right, so I don't want to increase it, but she still has a fair amount of stiffness at times.

I was wondering if a topical, non-psychoactive application might be beneficial? Has anyone else given topicals a shot?

I am going to get a Magical Butter soon, so perhaps I can make a fairly thin, non-greasy, infused lotion (to better penetrate her fur, as I really want some extra relief for the muscles on her hips and legs).

Does this sound like a decent idea or are y'all wondering what Strain I was vaping when I thought of this? ;-)

-Mickey

Someone correct me if I'm wrong here- Topicals will work more for existing pain, than a symptom correction. I would suggest topicals be applied to the stomach, but if you can possibly shave a small area under your dogs collar, application there may work much better due to the close proximity to her head, and arteries/veins in the neck. For your dogs oral dose, you might have better results by tacking the oil to the gums, which is the correct method of administering an oral dose. By feeding your dog edibles, if decarboxylated, it's just getting your dog high, with fewer medical benefits.

Just a quick clarification (or two)....

I don't actually give my dog edibles, I give her a pinch of ABV. It goes in her food, so she eats it, ie- edible. I am not comfortable giving her RSO, she only weighs like 14 lbs. Another point to keep in mind- many people in this forum do NOT live in a state where cannabis is available in all forms. I now live in AZ, where concentrates are verboten, so even if I was on board with the RSO idea, it is not available to me. I would love to give her juiced leaves, but again, I live in $&@$ Arizona, so no cultivating for me. Have a little understanding for the fact that not everyone has all of the options available to you.

Second, her stiffness is, to me, evidence of pain- if the word stiff is the issue... I am not a vet or medical professional. I thought "stiffness" was a better description than "she still gimps around some". :)

Last, I do not agree that giving my dog decarbed Meds is just getting her high. I had to take a beat before I responded to that statement, because it seriously felt judgmental and I was annoyed. Please try to respect that the people asking questions in the pet area of the forum are not interested in getting their pets baked. The point is to allow them as many of the same medical benefits that we receive. All of the medical benefits of cannabis are not tied just to CBD's, despite the increased attention to the vast benefit of CBD's. THC has many benefits that are completely separate from the CBD's. Does my pug get a bit high? Absolutely, if by high you mean that she is calm, relaxed, and not twitching in pain every twenty damn seconds. She doesn't sway, sleep all day, drool, or pass out. She used to just sit in her puff bed and fidget. Constantly. Now she does what dogs do. She wanders, plays with toys, follows me around, visits with the neighbor dogs at the gate... Normal, happy dog stuff.

For a lot of people, dogs are like children. Mine are for me.
-Mickey

Just a quick clarification (or two)....

I don't actually give my dog edibles, I give her a pinch of ABV. It goes in her food, so she eats it, ie- edible. I am not comfortable giving her RSO, she only weighs like 14 lbs. Another point to keep in mind- many people in this forum do NOT live in a state where cannabis is available in all forms. I now live in AZ, where concentrates are verboten, so even if I was on board with the RSO idea, it is not available to me. I would love to give her juiced leaves, but again, I live in $&@$ Arizona, so no cultivating for me. Have a little understanding for the fact that not everyone has all of the options available to you.

Second, her stiffness is, to me, evidence of pain- if the word stiff is the issue... I am not a vet or medical professional. I thought "stiffness" was a better description than "she still gimps around some". :)

Last, I do not agree that giving my dog decarbed Meds is just getting her high. I had to take a beat before I responded to that statement, because it seriously felt judgmental and I was annoyed. Please try to respect that the people asking questions in the pet area of the forum are not interested in getting their pets baked. The point is to allow them as many of the same medical benefits that we receive. All of the medical benefits of cannabis are not tied just to CBD's, despite the increased attention to the vast benefit of CBD's. THC has many benefits that are completely separate from the CBD's. Does my pug get a bit high? Absolutely, if by high you mean that she is calm, relaxed, and not twitching in pain every twenty damn seconds. She doesn't sway, sleep all day, drool, or pass out. She used to just sit in her puff bed and fidget. Constantly. Now she does what dogs do. She wanders, plays with toys, follows me around, visits with the neighbor dogs at the gate... Normal, happy dog stuff.

For a lot of people, dogs are like children. Mine are for me.
-Mickey

Please explain what ABV is, I find nothing online about it. RSO can be easily used for your dog, and safely, when administered correctly. Hey, join the club, I don't live in one of those states either. I have nothing available. Yet I make everything available. There comes a time you have to ask yourself, "what's more important to me, a happy life, without pain, or following some bullshit law influenced by a dipshit, who couldn't keep his story straight?"

Remember that an animals instinct is to hide its pain. Depending on what you're giving her, it can help, or it can just dull the pain a little.

You mentioned edibles, and mentioned non-psychoactive. You didn't specify if what you gave your dog contained active THC, so going from your statements I can only assume that we're not on the same page yet due to a lack of specific information, so I included a general statement. There was no accusation of animal abuse, I wasn't accusing you of anything specific, I merely said:

"By feeding your dog edibles, if decarboxylated, it's just getting your dog high, with fewer medical benefits."

Just a simple "if" statement. I'm simply trying to help and gather more information, and as Winston Wolf said it " I'm here to help - if my help's not appreciated then lotsa luck, gentlemen."

Remember to take everything you read on the internet with a grain of salt. You can't tell tone, emphasis or inflection in one's text as you can tell in their voice. It's easier to ask me to clarify.

I also have pets myself. One has tumors, so I take this stuff very seriously.

First, ABV means already been vaped. And with regard to the rest of your reply, that was the way you chose to go? Okaaaay.

Also, I am not willing to risk arrest to medicate myself or my pet. That does not constitute a lack of caring, commitment, or intellect on my part. Apparently, you are, and more power to ya. For you, the laws of your state with regard to MMJ appear to be irrelevant. They are not for me.

I didn't make any assumption that you were "being a d". I merely explained how I took your comment. Now, after your reply, no assumptions are needed since you decided to take the guesswork out.

And not sure how hard you looked on the internet for info on ABV. I was quite surprised at the statement that you couldn't find a definition, so I opened google and by the time ABV was typed in, auto fill had already presented ABV- Weed. Took me literally four seconds to see how hard it is to define ABV. But no problem. Let me know if there's anything else u need looked up.
-Mickey

Your google result was likely completed because you've already typed it. In my google it doesn't show any results.

When I simply search ABV it tells me it's an anagram for Alcohol By Volume.

I don't believe in Cannabis laws or regulations. It's a simple plant, no different from any other herbal, vegetable, or fruit plant out there. And because of guys like Jack Herer, you are now able to find this information freely. Had he followed the laws you feel are relevant, this information would not be available for you to help your dog, or yourself.

Tobacco use has been PROVEN to cause cancer, and a shitload of other health problems. But you feel that's ok because it's legal? You really can't take that "oh it's a law" argument, because it isn't even remotely based in any sort of scientific facts. The laws against Cannabis are based on racism.

Defensive? No. I tell it like it is. I felt I was extremely clear in what I said, it would've been much easier to ask me for clarification.

As for the rest of your post, I'll let someone else help you.

Good luck with your dog.
:Namaste:

A high CBD strain made into cannabis concentrated oil, then thinned by 'grapeseed' oil for easy application does wonder's as a topical for your pet. Your Pug has short hair so rubbing it in will be easily done. Also if your pet ever has skin cancer/tumors the same strain of high CBD mixed with a high strain of THC will cure those as well. As Antics mentioned about 'tacking; for pain, inflammation, cancer or just about any virus would be the best heal for any pet. They have receptors also, so by getting the concentrate to the CB1 receptors first your pets health will improve dramatically. I've seen this done on a horse (large gums), but never on a small pet. Just like trying to brush their teeth, good luck! If you try the amount has to be very minute, like a small dot that is just a film on your finger.

Caution: Animals/pets LOVE cannabis concentrated oil-extreme caution should be used as they like to lick residue off your clothes, off their topical application (depending where the application is like a joint on their leg use a small ace bandage wrapped several times, then lightly tape it off). Even then pay attention. If they do lick some they will become very euphoric. They will act skittish, won't want to eat or drink water (they should) and as mentioned get high. With common sense and careful supervision your pet can have great medical values from the concentrate. As bitter as the taste is they love it, I wish I could find some strips like used in breath mints (no taste) and apply a thin thin layer of concentrate that would adhere to their gums while being absorbed in their gums.

Our Yorkie will not go for the gum application. When we dose our nighttime oil she gets exactly two quick licks off the finger of the film left over (she is waiting) and that is her 24 hr dose. No more than two licks.

I hope a Veterinarian is following this thread so she/he could possibly think of something that the concentrate could be administered to the 'gum' in an easy and efficient way. As mentioned 'topical' works well also. Especially on possum bites, other dog bites, bee/wasp or any skin abrasion. It disinfects and heals like nothing you have witnessed.

Perhaps someone with MMJ salve/product they use on their pets can chime in?

Tobacco use has been PROVEN to cause cancer, and a shitload of other health problems. But you feel that's ok because it's legal?

I didn't say a single word about tobacco, nor did I make any value judgments about the laws. What I SAID was that I follow the laws of my state, and that I am not willing to risk arrest to medicate either myself OR my dog. Period. For somebody who is so quick to declare others are making "assumptions" I would dearly love to know how it is that you intuited my opinion about tobacco laws, or Jack Herer's contributions to society for that matter. Because I have never said a word about either. And I do not plan to, as it has ZERO to do with the question posed by the original post or any other points I may have tried to make.

-Mickey

I personally think the Magical Butter Machine would be a great way to make a salve/butter cream for your Pug's stiffness. I would guess that is arthritis. Unless it pulled a ligament or something. Either way, the topical would be great I would think. I would use it on my Yorkie. Just keep checking so it won't try to lick it to be safe.
I can't stand to see a animal in pain...actually, no one.

Hey, folks.

My pug has been on MMJ for severe arthritis for about six months. It has been a rousing success. However, she had new X-rays done recently, and her arthritis is progressing, and she now has hip dysplasia as well. I think her edible dose is right, so I don't want to increase it, but she still has a fair amount of stiffness at times.

I was wondering if a topical, non-psychoactive application might be beneficial? Has anyone else given topicals a shot?

I am going to get a Magical Butter soon, so perhaps I can make a fairly thin, non-greasy, infused lotion (to better penetrate her fur, as I really want some extra relief for the muscles on her hips and legs).

Does this sound like a decent idea or are y'all wondering what Strain I was vaping when I thought of this? ;-)

-Mickey

If you are using Vaped Flowers for medication, you are not getting even 50% of the medication benefits. Vaporizing heats the flower to 360 degrees which is way to hot to save any (thc, cbd, cbg, etc) [correct me if im wrong anyone]. if you live in a state that has no medical, i would almost bet one of my kidneys that there is at least a handful of growers in a small town somewhere. If you can find one of these guys (takes time and helps if your friendly/talkative) simply ask them what they do with their trimmings. this can be purchased (depending on grower) from nothing to a few hundred dollars a lb. that lb will make you a ton of butter/rso/extracts (specially if its nice and sugary). Now when it comes to taking advise on oil i recommend listening to 420 motoco, hes been very active and knowledgeable about Cannabis oils.

With this all said i realize you feel overwhelmed and arent getting a response your looking for. All i can say right now is stop using Vaped Flowers, try using fresh dry flowers.

How old is your companion?
how much does he/she weight?
Where is the main source of the pain (stiffness)?

how are you medicating your companion exactly?
What type of edible?
whats all ingredients inside?
how are you making your medication to infuse into edible?
how long have you been medicating your companion?
Do you have a source to a grower or middle man?

in my state we have what we call "kush cream" and its a lotion base with icy/hot infused into it. it does wonders on join pain (humans and animals) with no euphoric high.

When I suggest this I get mixed reviews. NOT IN MY STATE (it seems mostly). No matter where I go it seems the growers are the ones that give you the most useful intel. They know their strain's, give info on growing, equipment, just about everything you need to know. This is my go to recommendation to find things one needs for medical strains or they know who makes the tinctures/oil's etc. Of course you don't go barging in like your DEA. Be honest with your questions. Also, especially for medicinal, it seems they bend over backwards to help people. Not to mention good prices. I have much respect for growers and find them very knowledgeable peeps. Perhaps we are somewhat knowledgeable about MJ, but I for one, always seem welcome into the grow circles seeking what strains are available. If I lived in a state with no medical MJ this would be my go to first choice, hands down. In a legal state, dispensary's get 99.9 % of their intel from growers. When you learn the concentrates you gain leverage through knowledge. Everyone knows someone that is ill. I was just gifted some Sour Diesel lower bud/shake and will make it a concentrate and then thin it with grapeseed oil for a lotion. I'm making this for some 'horse' folks who will mix this with an alcohol bath. They say they love it. First time extracting anything but flower, but, there are many purposes for MJ.

if you live in a state that has no medical, i would almost bet one of my kidneys that there is at least a handful of growers in a small town somewhere. If you can find one of these guys (takes time and helps if your friendly/talkative) simply ask them what they do with their trimmings. this can be purchased (depending on grower) from nothing to a few hundred dollars a lb. that lb will make you a ton of butter/rso/extracts (specially if its nice and sugary).

Back
Top Bottom