Cannabis Oil for Pets?

Lucia McM

I noticed in a different thread someone mentioned pets sometimes chew on their cannabis plants and love it.
I did a little search on the use of MMJ for pets and got a lot of hits for cancer but am wondering whether the oil can be used for other pet issues as well.
My dog developed an ear hematoma over night and it doesn't look like his ear canal is infected, seems more likely it developed because last week at the dog park a doggy played a little rough and although nobody got hurt it's likely my dog got hit on the ear.
Vet says surgery but sadly the hematoma likes to come back quickly and I would like to avoid my dog getting a procedure too often, it's traumatic and pricey so if anyone has experience or a link to veterinary mmj info that would be very useful.
Have you guys used it on your pets?
How did you administer it, tacking same as with humans? Topical application?
Dog is about 6 years old and otherwise in excellent health, never medicated apart from regular vaccines.
Good health to all, and your pets and plants :blushsmile:

We didn't opt for the surgery, only using ear drops to clear up the infection and the ear swelling should subside by itself. He's not in pain ever since he got the drops so we'll leave the hematoma to heal naturally. We're rubbing a bit of the oil on the corner of his ear (not the center because it's very swollen so i'm not sure the oil would penetrate into the tissue if we put it there). Because it's so sticky we mix a grain of it with coconut oil and we don't rub it in but rather just spread it evenly in a thin layer. We'll see if it subsides (takes a few weeks to subside of it's own, perhaps it'll be faster with the oil) and perhaps it even prevents his ear from getting deformed. We wouldn't mind the deformity of course as it's painless but I'm curious to see how it works.
All in all, the dog is cheerful and infection free, just keeping tabs on the swelling for now. Will report in a few weeks whether it cleared up.

Last week I have given CBD oil to my mother for her dog. He is 12 years old, often limps and suffers from joints.
After 2 weeks, my mother told me that he is not suffering anymore but is still limping. Is it ok or do you have anything else to recommend?

Last week I have given CBD oil to my mother for her dog. He is 12 years old, often limps and suffers from joints.
After 2 weeks, my mother told me that he is not suffering anymore but is still limping. Is it ok or do you have anything else to recommend?
Just letting you know that this is an old thread and everyone who had already participated has not been around in 2 to 8 years. But, some of the active members who use CBD or Marijuana THC for their pets might notice and be able to help so keep checking back.

Also, at the bottom of this thread you should be able to see a short listing of other older threads on the same topic. Maybe someone mentioned what their pet's experience was in one of the threads.

Have you tried a search using google or a similar internet search engine? I just did one to be sure that it might have links to help get you some information. I used the keywords:
marijuana for treating pets
and saw some links to possibly good articles that might help. Plus that search did not push any ads at me.

Hello and thank you for your reply. Yes, there are a lot of information in search engines but some time advices from persons that experienced the same issue are helpful.
:thumb::Namaste:

Hello and thank you for your reply. Yes, there are a lot of information in search engines but some time advices from persons that experienced the same issue are helpful.
:thumb::Namaste:
True. But if you are not getting any responses about your situation then sometimes the links can point to someone who is familiar with the same sort of issue you are finding your pet in.

My daughter ran into something similar to that. No one was able to help, either in person or on-line, with some sort of issue with her dog and finally found recommendations when she came across an on-line dog group.

I have no experience with cannabis oil and hematomas. I have used CBD for treating dogs with pain issues as well as anxiety, it worked well for both. I would caution that dogs are very sensitive to THC, they have many more receptors sites for THC in their brains than humans do, so I would not use a product with very much THC, if any, in it. I have witnessed dogs that ate too much THC and it’s not pretty!

If you own a pet, give CBD oil a try; it's beneficial for your four-legged pal. The cannabis plant is used to produce cannabidiol oil, also known as CBD oil. It belongs to a particular class of cannabinoids that naturally exists in hemp and cannabis plants.

As per different studies, it has been shown that the interaction of cannabinoids with endocannabinoid receptors present in our pet's neurological systems helps to maintain their overall health. Our pets go through several physical pain, which can be caused by a number of factors like aging, fractures, surgery, and more. Regular usage of CBD for pets can effectively treat chronic ailments and ease discomfort.

Moreover, just like humans, our pets also struggle with anxiety. Factors like separation from the owner, thunderstorm or anxiety of being alone inside the car can have a severe negative effect on your furry pals overall wellbeing. In extreme cases, pets might try to run away or jump out of the window. Vet-prescribed oral dosage of CBD tinctures can eventually calm them down.

If we talk about a pet's skin it needs care on a regular basis as it is one of the largest organs of the body. Is your pet’s fur and coat damaged by environmental factors or lack of nutritional diet? Topical application of CBD oil can be beneficial for your pet’s health, encouraging results by improving the hat and coat texture of your furry friend.

Back
Top Bottom