Cannabis oil for canine epilepsy?

Mila

Does anyone have any info or links related to the use of cannabis oil for treating epilepsy in dogs?

I have miniature dachshund who I discovered had epilepsy when he was one year old. He takes prescription medication to control seizures but it causes a lot of side effects that can be hard to deal with (one being an agitated dog that won't stop running around the house or barking lol).

I have heard about some people who have had success treating epilepsy with cannabis oil and would love to hear any of your experiences!

Does anyone have any info or links related to the use of cannabis oil for treating epilepsy in dogs?

I have miniature dachshund who I discovered had epilepsy when he was one year old. He takes prescription medication to control seizures but it causes a lot of side effects that can be hard to deal with (one being an agitated dog that won't stop running around the house or barking lol).

I have heard about some people who have had success treating epilepsy with cannabis oil and would love to hear any of your experiences!

Hi, I would recommend speaking to a vet in one of the states where marijuana is legal. According to this article on edible marijuana for pets, a vet in a legal state will know more about the effects of edibles on your dog. I've read a few articles on this over the past few months and seen other forum posts but haven't heard anything negative. The Treat-ibles brand seems to be devoid of THC which is also a plus since you don't want to disorient your little guy.

Bear in mind, veterinarians in legal states will have the same old school training that is mostly anti-marijuana that our medical doctors have. You will get a varied, mixed-response from veterinarians. Also be aware that not all CBD pet treats contain CBD. Like the online CBD Oil scammers, pet CBD treats need to come from a reliable, tested source.

The FDA did CBD testing on both pet treats and CBD meds for humans which can be found here -> Warning Letters and Test Results

Caveat emptor.

it is a shame that this is not easily answered
why oh why are people so frightened by cannabis
anyway i hope you can find what you need as far as real research and help your little guy
oh and my two nutcases got into my area and ate a bit like it was grass... they slept well but no other ill effects
so it won't kill them
its probably a matter of dosage which as miss cannabelle(who is one awesome member btw,check her threads) points out we need research
come on world join the 21st century already!

Cannabis in it's natural form, not processed, is considered harmless for pets and forest animals. It's processed cannabis products with high amounts of THC that could cause problems. However, for pets, it's not natural cannabis or processed cannabis that have caused pet deaths.

According to (Arizona pet ER Dr. Billy) Griswold, pet owners should be more worried if their animal gets into a stash of synthetic marijuana.

"We have seen a couple fatalities with [synthetic marijuana]," Griswold said. "There are more serious side effects and longer treatments associated with that."

Source: Vet: More cases of pets high on marijuana - KCTV5

that synthetic stuff is awful
calling it synthetic marijuana is a disservice to cannabis
it is more like potpourri soaked in chemicals
avoid!! stay away!!

Hello Cannabelle, how is your day going? Fine I hope!

I've been looking into the use of the oil for my buddy, Schroder. He's an 8-9 year old terripoo (terrier/poodle rescue) about 15 pounds, and he is going blind with cataracts. Have you come across anything abt this in your studies?

Peace..:Namaste:

Not wanting to beat a dead horse here but I just talked to a co-worker who told me that he knows several vets in the LA area who are very open and educated on medical use of cannabis in dogs. So trying to contact a vet in a legal state may actually be worth the effort.

Talked to someone who knew a friend who heard a story about a .............

I live in California. The most advanced state in the use of cannabis. No vet I've yet talked to, heard of, saw a story about a friend who heard a ...........

I live in the emerald triangle in California. I have an outdoor grow, an indoor grow, I rso over 1 gram a day and smoke all day. I have a large group of farmer (pot) friends. No one has heard of oil use for cataracts in anything, let alone dogs

Thanks for the help, those saying check out a vet in a legal state. Beat that dead horse if it helps you hear yourself post.

I sure could use some useful info if anybody has knowledge of cataracts in dogs and how to dose w/ cannabis and any positive results obtained. This of course is an invite to all those vets in legal states, duh.

Sorry, Cannabelle, irritating when I'm looking for help, and someone says "go look for help". Love your 'science' approach. Thanks.

I live in California. The most advanced state in the use of cannabis. No vet I've yet talked to, heard of, saw a story about a friend who heard a ...........

I live in the emerald triangle in California. I have an outdoor grow, an indoor grow, I rso over 1 gram a day and smoke all day. I have a large group of farmer (pot) friends. No one has heard of oil use for cataracts in anything, let alone dogs

Thanks for the help, those saying check out a vet in a legal state. Beat that dead horse if it helps you hear yourself post.

I sure could use some useful info if anybody has knowledge of cataracts in dogs and how to dose w/ cannabis and any positive results obtained. This of course is an invite to all those vets in legal states, duh.

Sorry, Cannabelle, irritating when I'm looking for help, and someone says "go look for help". Love your 'science' approach. Thanks.

Hugs 94xjjohn :love:

I'm sorry I did not respond to your question earlier. There is so much volume on 420mag that I often miss posts I've been participating in.

I'm not an eye doctor or veterinarian so I can't give you sound advice on how to treat your older terrierpoo. Terriers are prone to cataracts and it's been conventional ASPCA recommendation to remove cataract plaque with surgery. There are amino acid based eye drop products to help elderly canines with cataracts.

As for cannabis based homeopathy, there's not enough research to make recommendations.

I do suspect, however, the fluid from hemp sprouts maybe loaded in the amino acids necessary for healthier eyes. We just need our governments to remove hemp and cannabis from it's current designation as a dangerous drug so doctors can research the efficacy of various stages of hemp and cannabis plants in treating both people and our furry companions.

I don't know how to stablize the aminos in in hemp sprout water or how the makers of natural amino eye drops stabilize the active ingredients in their commercial products.

I wish I could be of more help.

Cannabelle, with utmost apologizes to your significant other, I love you girl. Thank you for your thoughtful answer. Shroder will soon get the help he needs.

Smuchies:love::thumb::Namaste:

That seemed kind of rude and disrespectful to write to someone trying to help. Anyway, good luck with your dog's cataracts.

That seemed kind of rude and disrespectful to write to someone trying to help. Anyway, good luck with your dog's cataracts.

Hugs TheGoodSith,

While it doesn't sound like we are saying the same thing, we pretty much are. I just added a caveat that even in legal states, people like 94xjjohn will still encounter resistant veterinarians much in the same way medical marijuana patients will run into doctors who will ridicule them for thinking that marijuana has any medical benefits whatsoever. Both the ASPCA and AMA remain mostly resistant to marijuana as long as it remains illegal on a federal level.

It's frustrating when you or a loved one (including a furry companion) are seeking medical help and face ridicule by professionals who have no interest in medical marijuana and hemp medication.

The best we can do is soldier on and keep fighting for our loved ones and our selves. Not all of us are blessed with having access to medical professionals who are medical marijuana savvy.

Thegoodsith, thank you my friend for trying to help me with my buddy, Shroder.

I apologize for my sarcastic response to you. I feel very bad that I was so short with you and you had to point out that my words hurt you.

I'm sorry and I ask for your friendship when I deserve it.:Namaste:

No worries! It's hard to read tone in forums. Thanks for taking the time to clarify. Sending healing vibes, love and light to all three of you (Shroder included).

Back
Top Bottom