Medibles and Hypothyroidism

BuzzyB

High! Has anyone noticed any correlation between hypothyroidism and medical mj? After about 3 months of using (ingesting) marijuana, I started to lose weight! I weighed 178 pounds mid February of this year, 2012. I don't seem to get the 'munchies' but I have also been loosing weight.......48 pounds to be exact! I wore a size 14 jeans and today, TODAY and buy a size 6. Is it possible the mmj has regulated my thyroid? I know that it cured my acute acid reflux......was facing surgery but I don't have it anymore! I can eat whatever I wish and not a trace of heartburn, let alone debilitating acid reflux. Any help is so greatly appreciated! I am still taking my thyroid med, but continue to lose weight. If it keeps up, the med may throw me in the opposite direction, and that would not be good!
Thanks so much guys, for your input!
BuzzyB:peace:

What are the medibles made of? Have read anecdotes about coconut oil having this effect but hasn't been my experience.

Medibles are things that you ingest that contain marijuana bud or leaf. They are medical grade marijuana (potent). Coconut oil is used in some preparations, such as capsules. There are so many ways of using mj without smoking. Medibles are 5x stronger when ingested and will last for several hours as opposed to smoking it. There are strains you use during the day and others that relieve pain and anxiety so you can get some sleep! Hope this helps!

Just saying that I haven't noticed weight loss and I eat stuff all the time - I've heard that sometimes coconut oil regulates thyroid; it isn't necessarily the mj.

Just saying that I haven't noticed weight loss and I eat stuff all the time - I've heard that sometimes coconut oil regulates thyroid; it isn't necessarily the mj.

I understand what you are saying about the coconut oil, but I don't use it. I use grape seed oil....it's lighter and no taste at all! Need to further investigate, but I do appreciate your reply! I will post what I find out. Something has happened and I just want to find out if it's another benefit of medibles. Thank you 2Tuff2sk8!

Hypothyroid and been on Synthroid for about 12 years. Started using cannabis for the medical benefits about two years ago. Cut back on the one a day Synthroid pill to maybe 3 or 4 times a week, 125mgm. Don't have the munchies very often and feel great. Wish there was a way to eliminate the buzz I get off of cannabis but it can be dealt with.

Hypothyroid and been on Synthroid for about 12 years. Started using cannabis for the medical benefits about two years ago. Cut back on the one a day Synthroid pill to maybe 3 or 4 times a week, 125mgm. Don't have the munchies very often and feel great. Wish there was a way to eliminate the buzz I get off of cannabis but it can be dealt with.

Good to know! Thank you for the reply. I sometimes wish the buzz would go away also, but it's the only way I have right now to know that the med is working.....though I have had some that didn't have the buzz. It was a very strange sensation......just knew it was 'working'. I can put up with a lot when the pain subsides! And I can get some quality sleep!

UPDATE: My original post here was a question about a possible correlation between medical marijuana and hypothyroidism. I have been on 100mcg's of Synthroid for many, many years. Nothing ever changes other than I cannot lose weight. I contracted an upper respiratory infection in Feb. of this year. It had me down for a very, very long time! I do not smoke my meds, I ingest them. I was so sick I had to give them up for a while. So, I did finally go back on them when I felt better. I began to lose weight. I knew I had lost weight from being so sick, but I was feeling better and the weight was still coming off! Didn't matter to me! I was at 178# and moving up! So I was excited about the weight loss. As a month or two passed, the weigh loss continued. I was back on my medibles full time (but only at bedtime) by now. I have no urge to munch! A week ago, I started feeling really lousy. Worse than normal. I called the doc. Thought maybe diabetes but was ruled out. Ordered a blood test for thyroid levels. AHA! My med cookies are doing something GOOD to my thyroid! I was way off in the opposite direction and was just wasting away from too much thyroid med! After ALL these years! I have to go for a re-check in 8 weeks, but I suspect my dosage will go even lower! I cannot prove that mmj fixed my thyroid, but it's the only thing I have done differently in over 30 years. It has also cured my acid reflux (had to sleep sitting up, but no longer)! The thyroid thing? I researched to see if there was a cure. There isn't! Or, is there? Peace and love! Hope this helps at least one person! MMJ works!

Well, folks, here's the most recent info I have about my Thyroid.....hypothyroidism to be exact. Lately I feel like I just could explode and little bits of me would be everywhere. I was having a terrible time and feeling awful. As I posted above, I was supposed to have another blood test in 8 weeks to check the thyroid levels. Well, I just was feeling like crap! Couldn't sleep, can't concentrate, depressed, I could go on forever. I called the doc to move my appt up. I went in today! The results? The doc took me off ALL thyroid meds! Woo hoo! She was trying to wean me off, but she said there isn't enough time for that now.....she wrote RX for two more meds to help me with the crash that is coming...I go back in a month for another blood test. I asked her if it could have been the mmj that I use that fixed it...she just looked at me and said 'most probably. nothing else has changed'. So, I am here to tell you that even tho the drug companies tell you that once you have thyroid problems, you will have them for the rest of your life, there is help! And it doesn't need to be manufactured chemicals to artificially mask the symptoms...! My next blood tests are scheduled for the end of December. I will post again about what the tests show, but for now???? Ha! I am one heck of a happy camper! Not looking forward to the withdrawal,, but I'll get there! Peace out! Love y'all! BuzzyB

I have hypothyroidism as well. What are the health benefits to smoking marijuana to hypothyroidism because my condition is pretty bad and if it really helps ill give it a shot. Also what did you have to tell the doctor to get it prescribbed

I have hypothyroidism as well. What are the health benefits to smoking marijuana to hypothyroidism because my condition is pretty bad and if it really helps ill give it a shot. Also what did you have to tell the doctor to get it prescribbed

Hopefully I can answer a couple of questions for you.....my prescription is for chronic pain and life long insomnia. Nothing works for these two issues any longer, at least in the RX meds. I quickly build tolerance against traditional medical 'fixes' and they only last about a month or so. My doctor and I discussed, at length, the benefits and possible drawbacks to using mmj. Insomnia in itself is torture....suppose that's why they use sleep deprivation as a form of torture...it works! I have been sleeping blissfully for almost a year now and I feel incredible! Such a joy to sleep and sleep deeply with NO chemicals! My pain is easily controlled without just getting that wonky feeling you get from Vicodin 750 ES....added benefit of NO DRUG HANGOVER or ADDICTION! I can control my meds now, and chose to do it with medibles. I am a smoker so don't want to add more 'smoking' to my already existing habit! Anyway, I have been on thyroid meds since 1994, increasing all the while. Just chugged along for about a year after starting the mmj and suddenly, and I mean SUDDENLY, my thyroid flipped from hypo to hyper and I lost over 60 pounds in just a few weeks! I went off the RX completely and more blood tests showed that I was still hypo and needed to get back on it. I don't know what's going on at this point. I am on a much lower dose of synthroid now but still cannot seem to gain any weight. Something has happened to my thyroid and I can only assume that it has to do with the starting on mmj. Nothing else in my medical history, as far as new meds, have changed, just that I added the mmj. The doctor is stumped as well as myself. I have a difficult time maintaining my weight....keeping it on, not losing it! I am convinced that mmj is playing a part in all of this, being a plant that works within the auto immune system, where the thyroid lives. I wish I had more to share with you. It's a wild ride, but 'things' are being repaired! I need to find someone who knows cause and effect of mmj and what is going on, but, unfortunately, no one is 'out there' to really give me an answer yet. I don't know if I have helped you or not, but it is my desire to pass on information as I learn new things and the experiences I have. This one has me befuddled! Sleep and pain are being managed, and so is my weight, though the last part I still need to find more info on because my thyroid still is not working properly (according to blood work) but the lower dose and weight loss, for me, are directly related, somehow, to the use of mmj in my cooking. I don't want to steer you down the wrong path, really I don't! But this is what works for me, right now, at this moment in time. Sorry if I wasn't much help, but I don't have all the answers, YET! I am researching every day and hope to find more answers soon! Have a ROCKIN' day! BuzzyB :high-five:

Being hypothyroid and insomniac, I am avid to find out how this is going! Did it end up fixing your thyroid, or keep lessening the problem?

:Namaste:

Hi! Thanks for your inquiry! For me, the meds are helping with my thyroid. I was on a very large of thyroid meds in the beginning and am currently at about one third of the original dose, so for me, it seems to be working! My doctor continues to monitor my thyroid, but it is getting better! As for the insomnia, it is such SWEET FREEDOM to be able to finally sleep! I cannot begin to tell you how wonderful it is to sleep peacefully and wake refreshed! All of the sleeping pills and other medications stopped working years ago, so was left hanging, without getting any sleep. SO many things have improved! Growing up in the 60's I never bought into the entire 'drug culture', so now that I am IN MY 60's, I am trying to weave my way through this new normal and it is quite amazing! Just a small amount of natural meds and I am doing so much better! Hope this finds you well and that it has been a help to you! Regards, BuzzyB
Being hypothyroid and insomniac, I am avid to find out how this is going! Did it end up fixing your thyroid, or keep lessening the problem?

:Namaste:

Thanks. Yes, you have helped me a great deal here. I don't know where I'll get the money, or other means, to acquire this, but at least I now know it will be worth trying for. I'm pretty much at my wit's end with this. The doctor treats me as though I were just trying to get skinny whenever I need more thyroid and the sleep deprivation leaves me without the patience to be his patient. I can't take anymore years of waiting for this problem to be alleviated.

Tyrosine helps a LOT to get more light out of that dimmer switch, but not enough, not enough. Maybe I can pull myself together enough to get happening here... or at least find enough to get me enough sleep to get happening THAT way.

So, yep, darn helpful. Thank you very much.

:thumb:

Hopefully I can answer a couple of questions for you.....my prescription is for chronic pain and life long insomnia. Nothing works for these two issues any longer, at least in the RX meds. I quickly build tolerance against traditional medical 'fixes' and they only last about a month or so. My doctor and I discussed, at length, the benefits and possible drawbacks to using mmj. Insomnia in itself is torture....suppose that's why they use sleep deprivation as a form of torture...it works! I have been sleeping blissfully for almost a year now and I feel incredible! Such a joy to sleep and sleep deeply with NO chemicals! My pain is easily controlled without just getting that wonky feeling you get from Vicodin 750 ES....added benefit of NO DRUG HANGOVER or ADDICTION! I can control my meds now, and chose to do it with medibles. I am a smoker so don't want to add more 'smoking' to my already existing habit! Anyway, I have been on thyroid meds since 1994, increasing all the while. Just chugged along for about a year after starting the mmj and suddenly, and I mean SUDDENLY, my thyroid flipped from hypo to hyper and I lost over 60 pounds in just a few weeks! I went off the RX completely and more blood tests showed that I was still hypo and needed to get back on it. I don't know what's going on at this point. I am on a much lower dose of synthroid now but still cannot seem to gain any weight. Something has happened to my thyroid and I can only assume that it has to do with the starting on mmj. Nothing else in my medical history, as far as new meds, have changed, just that I added the mmj. The doctor is stumped as well as myself. I have a difficult time maintaining my weight....keeping it on, not losing it! I am convinced that mmj is playing a part in all of this, being a plant that works within the auto immune system, where the thyroid lives. I wish I had more to share with you. It's a wild ride, but 'things' are being repaired! I need to find someone who knows cause and effect of mmj and what is going on, but, unfortunately, no one is 'out there' to really give me an answer yet. I don't know if I have helped you or not, but it is my desire to pass on information as I learn new things and the experiences I have. This one has me befuddled! Sleep and pain are being managed, and so is my weight, though the last part I still need to find more info on because my thyroid still is not working properly (according to blood work) but the lower dose and weight loss, for me, are directly related, somehow, to the use of mmj in my cooking. I don't want to steer you down the wrong path, really I don't! But this is what works for me, right now, at this moment in time. Sorry if I wasn't much help, but I don't have all the answers, YET! I am researching every day and hope to find more answers soon! Have a ROCKIN' day! BuzzyB :high-five:

Please can you tell me what strain of mmj you are using? There are so many out there and they have different strengths. What do you use for day and what do you use for night and how do you prepare it and what do you put it in like brownies, sauces, etc.? I have fussed about the weight gain for years and have over a period of 8 years put on an extra 140 lbs. Dr kept saying it was my age or what I ate but I am very careful about my diet and eat very small portions, no junk food etc. I also want to say that I used Levothyroxine for years and they could not get my thyroid regulated. I now have Hashimoto's thyroid (Hypo) and last summer my Endo Dr put me on Tirosint 150 mcg. I have been in the hospital 3 times since Nov 2013. Blood pressure dropped all three times as low as 60/40 (Dr said that is as close to death as you want to be) and then it would shoot up to 170/115 and plummet back, weakness, severe pain in joints and muscles to the point I could not even dress or bath myself. The pain at times was so bad I just sit and cried. Sleep and night time was pure torture as I had to sit up to sleep (acid reflux) and I would sleep for 15 min to an hour and wake up. I have smoked MJ sometimes just to be able to sleep but realize I need to do more. The last time I went to hospital I had a major heart attack and blood pressure dropped the same way. None of the Drs could figure out what was going on in spite of tests upon tests. My thyroid med, Tirosint is $85+ and I can no longer afford it so I went online to find out other alternatives only to find post after post from people on Tirosint who said it worked great for them to start and then they began to have all kinds of problems just like I am having. This drug is even worse than Levothyroxine or Synthyroid. I have to get off this stuff before it kills me so am looking for answers. Thanks so much for sharing.

Re: Medibles and Hypothyroidism - Update??

Hello BuzzyB, can you please provide an update on your success with hypothyroidism, medibles and weigh loss? I'm in almost same situation and would like to try the medibles if it actually helps with the symptoms and weight loss as well. I just received my mmj card and trying to decide to do this or not. Hope to hear back !!

Re: Medibles and Hypothyroidism - Update??

Hello BuzzyB, can you please provide an update on your success with hypothyroidism, medibles and weigh loss? I'm in almost same situation and would like to try the medibles if it actually helps with the symptoms and weight loss as well. I just received my mmj card and trying to decide to do this or not. Hope to hear back !!

Hi! I have been using medibles for about a year and a half now....my thyroid condition remains, but the medibles keep my weight stable! I was all over the map with the weight, but have 'settled in' at around 125 to 130 pounds, depending on the day! I'm pretty happy with my results thus far. My dosage keeps getting adjusted DOWNWARDS so I am sure the meds are helping with that..they are part of the auto-immune system, which is directly effected by mmj. I do have my days when I just cannot take a thyroid pill....puts me into metabolism overload. Then the sleep doesn't come as easily....slowly I'm being weened off the thyroid meds, but still a process. I am extremely happy with how the mmj has regulated my weight! You always hear about people who gain weight because of the 'munchies'....so not true in my case! Hopefully this will be the case for you as well! Keep me posted on your success! I had NO success until I started with my medibles! ;) :Namaste:

Back
Top Bottom