Los Angeles Marijuana Dispensaries - Weak Potency - Trichomes are Gone

trichomeman

I am seeking intelligent conversation that will lead me to chatting with growers who are part of the southern california collective, and patients who are upset about this topic. I already know what is going on, given the conspicuous absence of trichomes, along with pre-mature harvesting, compounded by excessive trimming, uneccessary tumbling, and reprehensible BHO and ISO blasting. I know the deal. So far, none of the dispensaries in the Los Angeles area, do any testing whatsoever. Harborside Health Center, in Oakland and San Jose, are the only entity that I have found thus far to be "legitimate". I have yet to find a single dispensary in the LA area that will simply sell the untrimmed, more potent marijuana buds.

We need to put this discussion out there. Thereby, more people will express their displeasure with this trend of excessive trichome harvesting, to make concentrates; all at the expense of the once full, untrimmed, unfettered marijuana buds. In other words, the growers' collective obsession for the higher dollar price point on concentrates, especially Honey Oil, Shatter, Bubble Hash, etc. has been applied to 100% of the harvests in EVERY LA dispensary I have tried. There is no true "flower" bud in these dispensaries. I pay for that; yet some LA. Collective growers take that away as an option for patients who love the potent, untrimmed flower, in place of concentrates. I am one of those patients who does not like the concentrates. I want untrimmed flower, without moving to San Francisco, for goodness sake. I've smoked Swagg from Salt Lake City that is way stronger and lasts longer than this so called "Premium Bud" in the LA dispensaries, that tastes like grass, and sometimes smells like urine. This is a serious problem, that likely will require laws to require testing and labeling.

Sure I'd normally, like to purchase directly from a grower; (I have my 420 letter and I'm legal as well.), however; I respect the process of wholesale to dispensaries to retail pricing to me. That's ok. I'm very happy, therefore, to support the various collectives and dispensaries that are truly legitimate, through the same testing and accountability as Harborside Health Center, in Oakland and San Jose. Still, I have NO idea which dispensary that may be. I have checked out about 10 dispensaries including an unnamed one in West Hollywood. They are all afflicted with this complacent viewpoint on testing, and labeling. They simply won't test. Those who do say that they test, like the one in West Hollywood; nonetheless refuse to label each retail marijuana bud package. So any claims about "conformity and testing", are bogus so far that I have encountered.

I understand the "motivation" behind the excessive trichome cultivation towards "concentrates". Money is important in this world. Clearly. However, it boarders on "unethical" behavior, if not simply selfish; to hoard all the best of the plant, and leave the rest of us patients to suffer the disappointment of weak and expensive marijuana, sold as "premium", that promises nothing more than a "head change". STILL, there is an ethical imperative for the growers in each collective, to simply set aside a percentage of their marijuana buds as "full flower" harvest without trimming, tumbling or blasting. Fine; make all that cash on the concentrates; just leave 20% of your harvest alone! Cut the stalks, hang them, dry them, cut the WHOLE buds off, cure them and send them off to the dispensary where I will be waiting to make my next purchase. (Notice I didn't say ...cut the WHOLE buds off, and TRIM them, bounce them, tumble them, and blast them.) Why? Because I don't like weak marijuana, and I EXPECT potent bud when I pay the premium price. My premium price point pays for the cost of growing the whole marijuana plant; and that of course includes ALL the trichomes on any given bud.

I welcome mature viewpoints and in depth discussions. Thank you.
(P.S. It is a misnomer to call the use of large CAPS as being equal to being angry or "yelling". That's a concocted misleading label which does not always apply to the use of caps. All CAPS is an acknowledged substitute for the use of Bold. Meanwhile, I WOULD use Bold instead; however this site has de-activated that feature. When you read this page, please understand that I'm not angry, nor am I yelling. I'm simply FRUSTRATED at having searched in vain for strong, pungent, aromatic, marijuana.

I would appreciate knowing a singular dispensary in the LA region that mimicks their business model after Harborside Health Center in Oakland and San Jose. I look forward to reading responses to my post.

Thank you all,

Roberto

As a long time supplier and Grower in the industry into the LA area I would recommend you go to the VBCC in Venice Beach to get the quality of product you're looking for. I as well as you am not a fan of concentrates, another reason for this drop in trichrome count is the massive use now of things like the samurai twister trimmers and other automated trimming devices that are just killing the bud. Try the VBCC to get the quality of product you're looking for. I and others I know have supplied into this collective amongst many others in the Los Angeles area and have a true faith in the product they deliver. I as well as you am not a fan of concentrates, another reason for this drop in trichrome count is the massive use now of things like the samurai twister trimmers and other automated trimming devices that are just killing the bud. Try the VBCC they are and always have been pretty purest about what product they put on their shelves.
Hope this helps!

Hi 4Rare,
I appreciate your refering me to VBCC. I called them and was glad to hear them say that they harbored similar feelings about the drop in dispensary quality for bud. They confirmed that they have exactly what you described. They were eager to prove me wrong, so to speak; given my posted letter. I look forward to meeting with them. Thank you for your help.

Most sincerely yours,

Roberto

VBCC is made up of a great group of medicinal cannabis purists, especially when it comes to the quality of product and maintaining #pharmagrade level product standards for it's clients. It makes them stand out from the crowd. I'm sure they won't disappoint.
Cheers, ~M

Hey 4Rare,

Thank you for the suggestion for your favorite there at the dispensary. I will specifically ask for that strain and I look forward to testing its medicinal properties. When I confirm VBCC is my holy grail of dispensaries, you can bet that I will passionately endorse them, with as much vigor as I applied to my letter. The letter is edited a second time...called: Marijuana: Pure Flower is Dead. I thought the first was just a bit harsh in a couple of spots. I'm trying for a re-editing and a deleting of the first letter, so everyone gets a clear picture of what I am saying.
P.S. I haven't heard back from the Staff at 420 magazine...Would you kindly tell me where I find the icon to "delete" the first letter? I can't figure that one out. ..I appreciate any hints on navigating that "deletion" action. Cheers.

P.S. I haven't heard back from the Staff at 420 magazine...Would you kindly tell me where I find the icon to "delete" the first letter? I can't figure that one out. ..I appreciate any hints on navigating that "deletion" action. Cheers.

Hi trichomeman,

If you want a post of yours deleted, simply report that particular post, using the Report Post icon, , found at the bottom left side of each post providing a reason for wanting that post deleted.

Greenest Regards,
Colorado High

Have you considered growing your own cannabis? It is very rewarding, and with practice you will get premium buds for way cheaper.
I guess is not an option or you will be doing it of course. I am shocked to hear about such business practices, one would expect these things to be regulated somehow. That nobody is profiting from the empty niche of cannabis testing and certification is surprising as well.
Regards and welcome to :420:

Well you know, dialogue is dialogue so that's what gets conversations started. The issues you brought up surrounding the potency drop and unavailability of "good ole KGB" (Killer Green Bud) is becoming an industry issue in mnay states, not just Cali, so keep talking like everyone else and "be heard". It's the only way to initiate change... ~M

It's really starting to happen alot, instead of relying on bud trim to produce concentrates people are trying to get the most $$ out of each harvest, i.e. tumbled bud to drop tri's, etc, automated trimming machines that are butchering the product...shop from dispensaries who have purists working the location, they'll understand your needs. ~ M

After reading this article I can see why the industry is going to have a rough go of it for some time yet. And why I always say, if you want something done right, you've got to do it yourself. The sad thing about this is that about 10 years ago I was in LA and a friend gave me some bud from her medical supplier. I fired one up on the way back to the airport and after only one toke, I literally had to pull the car over and let my head come back from the stratosphere...it was indeed what I call "one puff stuff". And right where I pulled over there was a very convenient In&Out Burger place so I grabbed a bagful of burgs for the flight back home.

Hi Old Stoner,

I appreciate your putting up with my long winded post. I'm in a re-editing process, wherein I'll try for a second, separate post; but I will wait for guidance from the kind staff at 420. Meanwhile; your story is hilarious. One question: Did 346 passengers all bother you for a bite of those tasty burgers? I don't know how you pulled that one off! Perhaps you decided not to risk your safety and ate them before boarding!

I remember getting so "medicated" back in Salt Lake; wherein it took me 4 hours to travel a 20 minute route across town, from my friend's house in West Salt Lake, across town to the University of Utah. I ended up on the freeway exit in Provo, Utah before I realized, "Hey, now wait a dog gone minute,...hmmm..."I'm pretty sure that I don't live near a temple, so where am I?" The next time I partook in the festivities, my friend insisted that I sleep it off on his couch. When his wife said: "Why don't you send your friend home, it's not like he's drunk!" My friend replied to her: "Yes we could send him on his way, but by sunrise we will getting a call from Las Vegas, and it won't be our friend saying he won a lot of money!" "Let him sleep! I know, you're right...if this guy's head wasn't attached..." END.

Hi Roach,

Thank you for your reply. When you stated that: ..."That nobody is profiting from the empty niche of cannabis testing and certification is surprising as well.", you are spot on. I too am surprised that such a vacume is not fulfilled presently. If Harborside Health Center creates a location in Los Angeles, and San Diego; one would immediately feel the positive influence that they would have over these matters of mishandling Medical Marijuana. Those dispensaries wanting to keep up would simply have to embrace the "purest mindset" or sink. I'm so accustomed to nothing more than a head change, that I forgot what genuine medicine was in the first place. Maybe I should move back to Provo, ...ah, West Valley, ...wait, I mean Salt Lake.

Hi Roach,

Thank you as well, for the natural information. ...and yes, I hear you well, there is much to be said about self-empowerment, and self awareness, centering ourselves, and so forth. There's not enough paper in my hard drive to fit that worthy discussion on a table. I could talk to you about my lagging journey in art and life; as such that it's on me to "fix" that, or "spin" those negative influences in my life, and just be rid of the unecessary stress, and replace it with action. I hear you. When I grow up I want to be a grower. Your advice is inspiring; I appreciate you for having given me such "life support" through wisdom. Thank you.

Thus far I have not ventured outstide Southern California, via the internet, to determine how pervasive this problem may actually be. I certainly take your word for it, that it "...is becoming and industry issue in many states, not just Cali,..." Initiating change, being heard; great advice. I appreciate that encouragement. Thanks M.

It's really starting to happen alot, instead of relying on bud trim to produce concentrates people are trying to get the most $$ out of each harvest, i.e. tumbled bud to drop tri's, etc, automated trimming machines that are butchering the product...shop from dispensaries who have purists working the location, they'll understand your needs. ~ M

Thanks M., I called VBCC and had a good chat, I'm excited to pay them a visit in about two weeks. I appreciate your referral. You are kind sir.

Thank you, 4Rare420RX;
Your comments ring true; I am feeling true empathy coming back this way; from you and others. It's nice to feel that I'm not alone. . Often those engaging in excessive harvesting techniques, are indeed, butchering the bud. There's no need to "destroy" the appearance of the harvested cured flower.

Early harvestation is another thing that is just, killing the potency and taste. I believe the impatience for harvested product, causes some growers to cut prematurely, before the trichomes are optimal color. Your point about automated trimming machines, is spot on. I will let you know of my experience with VBCC. Thank you for the suggestion and support. You are awesome.

Peace, Roberto

Hello trichomeman,

I live just north of the Bay Area, and have utilized 2 of the 8 or so dispensaries in my immediate area for my meds. One had a decided sketchy feel to it..a rather fly by night feel to the whole place. I purchased an amount of one of my favorite strains, but was sorely disappointed in the quality and potency of the things they called *buds* that they sold me. Raggedy trim job and few visible trichomes when compared to properly harvested and handled grass. Price was top tier as well. I noticed they were really pushing the concentrates, guy behind the counter spent 10 minutes explaining why I would be happier with concentrates. I felt like I was dealing with a shady Electrolux vacuum salesman, hahaha! Needless to say, I have not been back.

The other dispensary, OTOH, is a professional establishment that is dedicated to being a quality health care provider. They are serious about providing accurate cannabis education, they offer other treatment modalities in their clinic such as acupuncture, massage, support groups and counseling for cancer and other patients suffering from serious, debilitating illnesses. Best of all, the meds are always first rate, a wide selection of concentrates too. The brother behind the counter said that all of their concentrates are made from crop that is dedicated to concentrate production, so no recycled leftovers being offered as premium buds. I honestly can't say enough good about this outfit, I have been nothing but very happy in all my dealings with them.

Peace in Medicine....Membership

Back
Top Bottom