Can an old doc learn a new trick?

Oldgrowth

As an an elderly (75) chronic pain patient I've had several discussions with primary care and pain management docs about the dangers of opioid use although I've used a minimal dosage, actually 1/2 the minimum, to ratchet down pain, without such problems for 15+ years. We have discussed fulsomely non drug approaches like exercise and weight control that I already have done for years, long before any medical prompting. BUT we never have discussed med mj unless and until I raised the issue. This is a major problem, especially for my age group where mj use is well below 10%, closer to 1% nationwide. The issue seems to discomfort my docs who seem tied to the old ignorance motivating me to try to elucidate the issues for them. If we all did same then the ultimate acceptance of med mj by the medical community will be accelerated and help everybody. If your doc resists then it's time to choose a new doc, one able to learn this new trick.

I was never able to convince mine to try it.

It's one argument for choosing younger docs. They grew up in a different culture, had a different med school experience and are more likely to use cannabis (is my guess). There's another factor IMHO as well, "evidence-based medicine" has rendered docs less likely to listen or take seriously patient reports that don't jibe w/ their preconceptions.

I won't go to doctors just for this reason. I understand they went to medical school. And are very well educated on the human body. But they seem to take on this fatherly I know best approach. Which doesn't jive with me.
I'm in a state where medical is legal. And we have no means of getting the medical to the patients. My buddy's dad has more than enough reason to be allowed medical use. And his doctor laughs at him and writes another prescription for pills that he doesn't want
He was a navy boy. Went merchant marine. Finished off with being an RV mechanic. And is forced into early retirement at 63
He's suffering from a precursor to lung cancer from asbestos. And his spine and knees are shot. He has to use a cane and pain pills just to get from the bathroom to the couch.

I've never been able to tell a doc anything. I floated the medical MJ idea with my old doctor last week for chronic pain. He said he's not into newfangled ideas and prefers 'traditional' medicine. I tried to tell him he has it all backwards but he wasn't listening.

Back
Top Bottom