Breathing For Health

The healing potential of breathing is grossly overlooked IMO. I'm as guilty as the next person. Most of my breathing is too shallow, but I plan to change that. With proper training it's possible to dramatically improve physical, mental, emotional, and spiritual health. Like any other training it asks for commitment. I think I'm ready for that now.

I'm interested in improving my own ability to breathe more efficiently, and I thought there might be others who would be interested. So I thought "Why not start a thread and begin a conversation?" :cheesygrinsmiley:

Learning proper breathing technique can be tricky without someone there to guide you. I've gathered what I believe are a few decent videos to get the ball rolling.

Breathe to heal - Max Strom

[video=youtube;4Lb5L-VEm34]https:/www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Lb5L-VEm34[/video]

How to breathe - Belisa Vranich

[video=youtube;1sgb2cUqFiY]https:/www.youtube.com/watch?v=1sgb2cUqFiY[/video]

BREATHE - Joe DiStefano

[video=youtube;bczm0RsIZUM]https:/youtube.com/watch?v=bczm0RsIZUM[/video]

4-7-8 Breathing
* minimum practice is twice a day
*expect to see increased results beginning after three month's consistent daily practice

[video=youtube;_-C_VNM1Vd0]https:/youtube.com/watch?v=_-C_VNM1Vd0[/video]

The daughter and I have been learning to breathe through yoga. It's amazing how deep breathing can help when you are in a situation you wish you could be out of. Like when the Surgeon examined my fissure. I wanted to be anywhere but at the surgeon's in some of the worst pain I've ever felt. The breaths are what got me through it. I focused on the breathing, and not the pain.

The daughter and I have been learning to breathe through yoga. It's amazing how deep breathing can help when you are in a situation you wish you could be out of. Like when the Surgeon examined my fissure. I wanted to be anywhere but at the surgeon's in some of the worst pain I've ever felt. The breaths are what got me through it. I focused on the breathing, and not the pain.

It made me smile that she was lucky to have you as her mom. :circle-of-love:

:hug::hug::hug::hug::hug:

It made me smile that she was lucky to have you as her mom. :circle-of-love:

:hug::hug::hug::hug::hug:
Well, thank you Sue! It makes me happy to know that she thinks if you as a Grandmother!

:hug:

Funny story though. We were at the dentist yesterday. The dentist saw that our girl has asthma, and told her to do yoga for her breathing. Pranayama is what she suggested for better breathing. That mayh be a starting point. The Hindu religion and chakras and yoga all seem good for people.

Balancing the body's energy channels is a wonderful goal. You should introduce her to the qi gong 8 Brochades. She'd love the experience. She'd get horse stance down better than I can. Lol!

My daughter had asthma. We've since figured out it was related to anxiety, but at the time we weren't this aware. I taught her to breathe out of an attack by imagining that she was forcing the breath through a small hole at the base of her lower back. Then she'd completely relax and let fresh breath flow unimpeded. Force the exhale, relax on the inhale. It saved us many hospital visits.

I personally love the rhythm of Pranayama. :battingeyelashes:

Holy cow! I started following a new yoga group. It's a guy and he kicks ass! It doesn't hurt that he's almost as handsome as Nis. Lol! The only thing I don't like about his videos is, YOUtoob plays commercials right in the middle of a difficult move. They don't do that for other yoga groups. I really dislike being in the moment, then being stopped by a commercial! Grrr

Holy cow! I started following a new yoga group. It's a guy and he kicks ass! It doesn't hurt that he's almost as handsome as Nis. Lol! The only thing I don't like about his videos is, YOUtoob plays commercials right in the middle of a difficult move. They don't do that for other yoga groups. I really dislike being in the moment, then being stopped by a commercial! Grrr

Who are you following Canna?

I was certain you'd been to this thread. :circle-of-love:

Reposting the OP with new links

The healing potential of breathing is grossly overlooked IMO. I'm as guilty as the next person. Most of my breathing is too shallow, but I plan to change that. With proper training it's possible to dramatically improve physical, mental, emotional, and spiritual health. Like any other training it asks for commitment. I think I'm ready for that now.

I'm interested in improving my own ability to breathe more efficiently, and I thought there might be others who would be interested. So I thought "Why not start a thread and begin a conversation?" :cheesygrinsmiley:

Learning proper breathing technique can be tricky without someone there to guide you. I've gathered what I believe are a few decent videos to get the ball rolling.

Breathe to heal - Max Strom

How to breathe - Belisa Vranich

BREATHE - Joe DiStefano

[video=youtube;bczm0RsIZUM]https:/youtube.com/watch?v=bczm0RsIZUM[/video]

4-7-8 Breathing
* minimum practice is twice a day
*expect to see increased results beginning after three month's consistent daily practice

“Some doors only open from the inside. Breathing helps you access that door.“ - Max Strom

At 14:25 he begins the training.

I was particularly impressed with the way he introduced the 4-7-8 breathing technique.
  • Sit comfortably, back away from the back of the chair, if sitting in one.
  • Place hands on the sides of the ribs to feel the expansion.
  • Breath in anyway you want, make your ribs go out to the sides. Fill your chest. Inhale.
    • So your ribs stretch out to the sides. Not to the front, but to the sides.
  • Exhale as you sit taller.
  • Again. Inhale, expanding ribs to the side.
  • Sit taller. Exhale.
  • Bigger. Sit tall and make your ribs go out to the sides. Inhale.
  • Hold your breath momentarily.
  • Exhale.
  • Relax the arms but remember the feeling of the hands there to keep the awareness of the rib cage expansion to the sides.
You’re now ready to do 4-7-8 Breath. (Inhale for a count of 4, hold for 7, exhale to the count of 8.)
  • Set a tempo, the pace you want to breathe, that isn’t too slow or too fast.
  • Begin with a strong exhale.
  • Inhale through the nose to the count of 4.
  • Hold for a count of 7.
  • Exhale through the mouth to a count of 8.
  • Repeat this sequence three more times for a total of four cycles.
  • Relax and take a deep inhale.
  • Exhale.
  • Take one more deep breath.
  • Exhale and relax.
Personal notes:
  • Max encourages use before stressful situations. Dr. Weil recommends a minimum of twice a day. I’ve had a challenge remembering to make them a regular part of the day. In the middle of a pandemic striking the respiratory system this one seems a good thing to make it a priority.

• Keep the shoulder blades relaxed throughout. We’ve/I’ve a tendency to let them creep up, which constricts the lung capacity and pinches off energy flows.

The healing potential of breathing is grossly overlooked IMO.

Thats a blast from the past. 40 years ago I had a terrible time with asthma and lung congestion. I started a deep breathing and physical positioning to drain my lungs. It probably helped, it might be a good idea to start back up. Right now I am pretty much completely controlled with raw CBD herb.

I developed Asthma as a young child of about 2 or 3, no reason known. Unfortunately for me my father became angry about this, as if it was an insult to him that his first born was a weak child, it somehow ground away at him until beginning about the age of 8 he would frequently verbally rip into me with a bunch of demeaning words that to a young child who looked up to his father it was pretty upsetting, the really bad thing was as consequence my Asthma got far worse and went from inconvenient to becoming really severe, a sort of traumatized breathing where I had to go on inhaler medication. I feel I can say now (after 50 years) that it caused me to learn a terrible panicked breathing pattern that went on throughout my life, along with a sense of shame that caused me to always try to hide my Asthmatic breathing from others. My mother covered for my father and told me everything was normal so I got no support or recognition, and indeed for so many years it was normal to me. It is only in recent years I been able to reverse this, I know how terrifying and crippling it is to experience not being able to get enough air to breathe.

So just to give my 2 cents on what I feel ultimately helped me. I imagine that in general, that most people who suffer from Asthmatic breathing will have accordingly made many adjustments in their lives, and probably also will have investigated and tried different things to help improve their breathing. For what's it worth in my own path they all seemed to help but what I feel helped me really turned the corner was when I started going to a Cranial Osteopath (there doesn't seem to be a lot of them around), this someone who is a fully trained Osteopath who has then trained in Cranial Osteopathy, this branch of Osteopathy doesn't use any 'bone cracking' approaches but instead focuses on feeling for the Cranial Sacral rhythm which they help facilitate the body bringing itself back into balance which means the sessions are very safe and gentle. Anyway I just wanted to say to anybody who suffers Asthmatic breathing or has a child that does, that this could be something that may work for them.

Sorry about the back story, but for myself, confronting that helped a lot too! I just wanted to say that, as Asthma can be ghastly for anyone but I particularly feel empathy for children. I first became aware of Cranial Osteopathy when our daughter was born after a 24 hour birth, and the midlife suggested we might want to take her to a Cranial Osteopath to deal with all the 'compression' that she went thru for the prolonged time in the birth canal, it was only a chance question to the Cranial Osteopath on whether he treated adults and Asthma, that led me to taking treatments, which I am super glad I did.

I developed Asthma as a young child of about 2 or 3, no reason known. Unfortunately for me my father became angry about this, as if it was an insult to him that his first born was a weak child, it somehow ground away at him until beginning about the age of 8 he would frequently verbally rip into me with a bunch of demeaning words that to a young child who looked up to his father it was pretty upsetting, the really bad thing was as consequence my Asthma got far worse and went from inconvenient to becoming really severe, a sort of traumatized breathing where I had to go on inhaler medication. I feel I can say now (after 50 years) that it caused me to learn a terrible panicked breathing pattern that went on throughout my life, along with a sense of shame that caused me to always try to hide my Asthmatic breathing from others. My mother covered for my father and told me everything was normal so I got no support or recognition, and indeed for so many years it was normal to me. It is only in recent years I been able to reverse this, I know how terrifying and crippling it is to experience not being able to get enough air to breathe.

So just to give my 2 cents on what I feel ultimately helped me. I imagine that in general, that most people who suffer from Asthmatic breathing will have accordingly made many adjustments in their lives, and probably also will have investigated and tried different things to help improve their breathing. For what's it worth in my own path they all seemed to help but what I feel helped me really turned the corner was when I started going to a Cranial Osteopath (there doesn't seem to be a lot of them around), this someone who is a fully trained Osteopath who has then trained in Cranial Osteopathy, this branch of Osteopathy doesn't use any 'bone cracking' approaches but instead focuses on feeling for the Cranial Sacral rhythm which they help facilitate the body bringing itself back into balance which means the sessions are very safe and gentle. Anyway I just wanted to say to anybody who suffers Asthmatic breathing or has a child that does, that this could be something that may work for them.

Sorry about the back story, but for myself, confronting that helped a lot too! I just wanted to say that, as Asthma can be ghastly for anyone but I particularly feel empathy for children. I first became aware of Cranial Osteopathy when our daughter was born after a 24 hour birth, and the midlife suggested we might want to take her to a Cranial Osteopath to deal with all the 'compression' that she went thru for the prolonged time in the birth canal, it was only a chance question to the Cranial Osteopath on whether he treated adults and Asthma, that led me to taking treatments, which I am super glad I did.

Thank you so much for sharing this Stunger :hug: My lovely daughter spent a good portion of her life treated for asthma. Her training from her mother was to change the focus of her breathing. I'd used that technique to calm more than one other child caught in the panic of not being able to breathe and finding themselves without the medicine their doctors loaded them up with.

As I read your post I realized how much what I taught would have influenced cohesiveness in the cells, more or less what your Osteopath did with better techniques than mine. I'll be sure to squirrel that information away for future reference and resource.

As a mother who watched her baby gasp her way through her childhood, I thank you again. :hug: You know.... we have the best membership, don't we?

Back
Top Bottom