Temporary aid for ColorBlindness?

ScottyBThatIsMe

This may seem off the wall... You've been warned.

I'm colorblind. Been so as far back as I can recall. I usually have problems with reds and greens where they will either look brown-ish, or just different shades of similar colors. It makes Autumn and Christmas time kind of a bitch, as well as traffic lights and distinguishing between good shit and dirt weed. Anywho, I've been smoking for over a year now, and, as far as I can tell, it's been curing me of my colorblindness while high. It takes about 20 minutes, and only lasts for as long as the actual high sticks around (about 40 minutes to an hour) but during that time I have absolutley no problems with any colors. Red looks like red, green is green. I've spent months looking for other people with similar experiences, but have found nothing to suggest that anyone else has had this result.

I know there is no evidence, or even a suggestion that it helps with color blindness because I've spent a butt-load of time trying to find records of it. I wanna know if anyone has a clue as to what this is all about, or mabye has had similar experiences with eye problems being cured by smoking pot? I'd hate to be the only one, cause then no one would believe me.

Questions? Comments? Please just refrain from coming at me with, "This is bull shit, you suck, blah blah, go to hell you little fucking liar." I KNOW HOW ODD THIS SOUNDS. I've talked to my doctor about it and he doesn't even believe me, so please keep it to either, no I haven't heard anything about it, or, yes I myself have/know someone whose had a similar experience.

yeah i also am colorblind. it does seem to help abit. my color blindness is not too bad now but heard it will get worse. i see blue as black also green to blue or just different shades. i do see a slight improvment like you said while high which is like 1.5-3 hours. i have never really paid attenetion to it while high or sober for that matter so ill do a few tests of my own.

SmokeyMacPot said:
i was going to do some testing yesterday, but i got to high and forgot. so i will do some tests today.

Hahaha, whatever dude, as long as I'm not the only one noticing that it helps.

ok try this man, look online for colorblindness test. they are those little circles with colors and your soppossed to see a number. try it sober and try it high. dont look at the answers untill your done trying it both sober and high. just write down the number you saw. well any way im going to do this too, just letting you know my experiment so you can try and we can have more understanding. if there is any other colorblind people then do it too.

My man is colourblind --- And I'm constantly forgetting :laughtwo:

But he says he doesn't notice a difference between when he's high or sober. Although he's one of those completely colourblind folks... he doesn't see a single colour except varying shades of grey.

Maybe it only works for semi-colourblind people.

SeXy VeXy said:
Maybe it only works for semi-colourblind people.

Yeah I think it would be a really big stretch for him. The problems I'm having are that the colors red and green will look like different shades of similar colors. If you can't see any colors at all then I don't think there's much hope.

And I'll try that out, Smokey. I'll post the results later.

Tis is an interesting topic. I have problems distinguishing between colors, especially when my eyes are tired. Smoking definately HEIGHTENS colors for me, perhaps the heightening effect manages to allow you to see colors at a comfortable range, as opposed to being color blidn and only seeing a specific range of colors. I would tell your doctor about this.
-PM

Thepurplem0nkey said:
Tis is an interesting topic. I have problems distinguishing between colors, especially when my eyes are tired. Smoking definately HEIGHTENS colors for me, perhaps the heightening effect manages to allow you to see colors at a comfortable range, as opposed to being color blidn and only seeing a specific range of colors. I would tell your doctor about this.
-PM

That is pretty much along the lines of what I was thinking. When not high everyday things seem kind of monotonous and never catch my attention. As soon as I smoke things like bright colored flowers, the clouds, the way trees make patterns with their leaves if you look at them a certain way (damn I sound like a flake--I'm sure you all understand though :laughtwo: ), all those things kind of stand out and slap you in the face. My thinking was that since everything is so brilliant and noticable that the colors just fail to look different. If the color red is so... RED!! it's kind of hard to mistake it for anything else.
That's my thinking on it.

I told my doctor and he was like, "Blah blah blah, marijuana is an illegal substance, blah blah blah, who knows what kind of things it's doing to my body, blah blah blah, I should stop smoking immediatly, and he's positive that any medicinal value I may think it has is probably just my mind trying to tell me that smoking pot is OK when it's really not."

I just looked at the asshole and said, "Since when are you my physician and my psychologist?"

I'll probably have to find a marijuana-friendly doctor before anyone takes this seriously.

yeah you should find a pot friendly doc. and tell him.

if any body doesnt know why colored vision imparment is. well light bounces off an object. light comes in 3 main colors. red, blue, and green. the light goes thru your eye lense and focuses on your rectna. your rectna has a these things called cones and rods. they pic up light and send a message thru your nerves. well rods are very sensitive to light and are good for night vision althow they dont pic out color just white black and grey. cones have 3 different types of pigments to pic up the light. if one of those pigments is wrong or malfunctions then your color vision is bad. most colorblindness is genetic and 1 out of 10 men have it. it is rare that women get it.

SmokeyMacPot said:
yeah you should find a pot friendly doc. and tell him.

if any body doesnt know why colored vision imparment is. well light bounces off an object. light comes in 3 main colors. red, blue, and green. the light goes thru your eye lense and focuses on your rectna. your rectna has a these things called cones and rods. they pic up light and send a message thru your nerves. well rods are very sensitive to light and are good for night vision althow they dont pic out color just white black and grey. cones have 3 different types of pigments to pic up the light. if one of those pigments is wrong or malfunctions then your color vision is bad. most colorblindness is genetic and 1 out of 10 men have it. it is rare that women get it.

So could it be that THC causes something that makes those cones function better or even normally?

what i was thinking, it is because how weed forces your eyes to stay dialated. letting trough alot more light like at night. so this in turn triggering off alot more cones. maybe other cannaboids will have different effects. like variation between indica and sativa.

Ok my research continues. so far i have 10 subjects that are colorblind red/green and I have also been running it on non colorblind people. The 8/10 colorblind people said that they saw a noticable improvment with their colorvision. Even the non colorblind people said they saw improvment saying, "colors were really vivid." I am also testing on what strains to use. Mostly so far it has been leaning to mostly sativa strains. Ill be updating my research as it continues. If you are colorblind and think cannabis helps you. please let me know.

I gave it a shot while I was down in South Carolina with my cousin. We are both colorblind and neither of us had a problem with those internet tests after we smoked up. There were a couple he still couldn't get, however, when we tried a test for a blue/white test, but the red and green tests went perfectly.

I heard from a good friend that one of his friends was color blind, but one day he smoked, I think gravity bongs, or at least something that got him really really high, made him puke, BUT it fixed his color blindness. For how long, I don't know. But he made it sound like it his friend had substantial improvement in his color perception.

I was so intrigued that I wanted to see if there was any research about this, found your thread, and had to join to respond! Your doctor is a fucking ass wipe. Sometimes people have to take power into there own hands and not wait for professionals so that they can heal themselves.

From my friend's story, it sounds like a heavy dose of THC or pot smoking may provide enough of a biochemical change to alter the visual perception networks.

Good luck!

Great thread.
For starters, no one should ever be rude to you here.
I do notice a sharpening of focus with sativa strains. As for colorblindness I personally dont see why not.
I sure hope you keep your strain safe and sound :)

Hello,

Ok I registered to this site so I could respond to this because I am so excited, all my life colors have kept me from being so many things I wanted to do in the working world that it was beyond frustrating and depressing. I couldn't be a police officer, Pilot, most things in military etc etc etc. I am early 30's and I spent a majority of my life looking for procedures, science etc to solve my color blindness. no such luck. I accepted a long time ago that it is what it is and I cant do anything about it.
I have been in the service for a long long time and we receive drug test all the time and always thought pot was for losers so I never tried it. However now I have my honorable and DD2 14 and my father in law gave me a couple of puffs and for me it was just an experiment to see what all the fuss was about. I was sitting there explaining to my wife what I was feeling like it was some trip to a distant galaxy and she was laughing just scrolling over her phone and I saw things in color start to appear that I have never seen before... I thought I was losing my mind and it was part of the process. however, these new shades started showing up and I told my wife something was happening with my colors... I told her to quickly go to the colors plate test and lets see what happens! the colors became alive and I could see most of the numbers on the circles. she showed me what fire works looked like on her phone and I went around looking at every thing I could enjoying the beauty in sunsets and the colors of everything I could come across. this was the only place I found any thing about this and I just wanted to that this is real and exciting! Of course now waking up the morning after the colors are gone and its all back to nothing but now I have memories that cant be taken from my mind. I hope one day this is looked into more on a professional and educational level.

I am a bit late on this topic but i am fascinated by the fact that there are people who see better after smoking pot.
I also have trouble with color vision and i would love to try some pot en see if it has any effect on my. I am in my mid-30's and i have been denied a class 1 medical to become a pilot.

I live in the Netherlands so obtaining pot would not be a problem but i wonder if there is a certain type of pot you use and if it is better to use a bong of smoke a joint?

Thank you for the info

I have a brother who is colorblind (sees shades of grey basically). He will definitely see color under only 2 know conditions with the first being LSD (he will hang Xmas lights in preparation of a trip). The 2nd (and at first I questioned this) being a specific strain of weed known as Skywalker. He was pleasantly surprised to discover this quite by accident and will now seek out this strain just for those side effects. He has not experienced this with any other strain but Skywalker and his doctor tells him it’s nonsense but I believe him. Take it for what you will but I believe that ANYTHING that can alter perception can indeed have this effect.

Back
Top Bottom