The Healing Properties Of Cannabis

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jim Finnel

Fallen Cannabis Warrior & Ex News Moderator
We have compiled the following list as a reference point for those seeking research and information on the numerous healing properties of Cannabis. This miraculous herb alleviates the symptoms of everything from hiccups to Multiple Sclerosis. When making personal decisions about your health, information is golden. It's your body and we think it is important for you to be knowledgable about the scientific studies and anectodal evidence that supports Cannabis as a viable treatment for your ailments.

Overview

Cannabis Myths

Accepted Medical Uses

Alcoholism

ALS - Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis - Lou Gehrigs Disease

Alzheimers Disease

Anti-Bacterial Qualities

Arthritis

Asthma

Attention Deficit Disorder And ADHD

Autism

Body Temperature

The Brain

Cancer

Crohn's Disease

Depression - Bi-polar

Diabetes

Epilepsy

Fertility

Fibromyalgia

Glaucoma

Gynecological

Heart Disease And Cardiovascular Disorders

Hepatitis C

Herpes Viruses

Hiccups

HIV - AIDS

Huntingtons Disease

Longevity

Lower GI Conditions (Stomach Problems)

Lupus

Mad Cow Disease

Mental Health

Migraine Headache - Headaches

Multiple Sclerosis

Neuropathic Pain

Obesity

Osteoporosis

Pain Management

Parkinson's Disease

Post-traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD)

Potential for Abuse

Pregnancy

Pulmonary Disease

Sickle Cell Disease

Skin Disease

Tourette-Syndrome

I know cannibis is useful to me. I have MS and my mussles on my rib cage and right leg have spasms. When I smoke , my mussles ease up so I can deal with the pain. I am on Gabapenton for it but it's not the same! I take Med's and it's destroying my liver. As well as the Interfuron shot I have to inject every other day. My state need's to open their eyes to the use of medical MJ ! I am so tired of buying SWAG weed !!Can someone tell me how I can make a stand and work on the law's in my state?

Thank you, thank you for compiling this information into one thread. I have an epilepsy disorder, and reading these articles makes my belief that cannabis helps me even stronger.

You can't cure epilepsy, you can only try to control it. Cannabis helps me stay mellow and keeps my mind calm. It's only my opinion, but I believe if I hadn't been using cannabis all these years that my epilepsy would have reared its head long ago.

Peace and good health :rollit:

Yes, this is an awesome compilation. This is a great place to send anyone that thinks Cannabis is just for heads trying to get high, or who question the effectiveness of Medical Marijuana. I can fit into about a dozen of those categories; both from a preventative and mitigatory perspective. Praise Jah for the blessing of Cannabis.

amazing, and this wonderful plant is illegal

Thanks that is why my Topical Lotion and Alcholo sprays work for so many I have use them for years every day
Topical-way

I have an Illness witch envolves alot of pain, etc.. PILLS like ,30mgs of Oxycodone x 6 a day, as well as 100mcg of Fentanyl every 2 dayz... The only med that helps is a Biologic Med, Remicade which is infused every 6 weeks.. All of this has been going on for 4 years, after returning to the states in 06'... I was in Bangladesh, Calcutta, India, Singapore, Vietnam, Costa Rica, Chile, not in order... Got very Ill in Jesssore Bangladseh.. Habitat For Humanity International... Jah seems to do the trick, but for me it is not apart of life on a daily basis..Totally sux...Peace..:slide:

I want to get off Methotrexate injections. I am in the 30% of pts treated with TNF drugs that didn't get any relief. If I didn't have the Oil,I don't think I could use my hands very well. After 3 months on Humira and MTX,I just couldn't take it anymore. If the stuff had worked for me,I would have said screw you to all the side effects and still be on it. So my choice is to go on the steroids. As an IBD pt also,those drugs are well known to me and so are the side effects. I don't have side effects from MMJ. I KNOW the Oil works on inflammation,I use it each night before I go to bed,and wake up with minimal pain and stiffness. You can tell just by looking at my hands. And I have only been using it for 6 weeks. The stuff is like gold to me. Hail to the Green Miracle!

Hemphit.. Just took myself off Fentanyl, from a 125 mcg, to nothing in 7 weeks @ home... Do not get involved with Pain Medication if @ all possible...They work, but are very harsh on your body, Mind and Soul... Mass, is still fighting for medical Kola's... A women by the name of Jill Stein, is politically connected in Mass, and her campaign. is partly in support of mmj.. There is a lot more to her and the Hemp platform....Jill Stein.com
Peace and Happiness.... JAH: peace: If the Horse don't ya gotta carry the load..''

I have an Illness witch envolves alot of pain, etc.. PILLS like ,30mgs of Oxycodone x 6 a day, as well as 100mcg of Fentanyl every 2 dayz... The only med that helps is a Biologic Med, Remicade which is infused every 6 weeks.. All of this has been going on for 4 years, after returning to the states in 06'... I was in Bangladesh, Calcutta, India, Singapore, Vietnam, Costa Rica, Chile, not in order... Got very Ill in Jesssore Bangladseh.. Habitat For Humanity International... Jah seems to do the trick, but for me it is not apart of life on a daily basis..Totally sux...Peace..:slide:
"If the Horse don't pull ya gotta carry the load.." J.G

How pot affects your cognitive abilities.

THE REAL STORY.

Study: Intelligence, cognition unaffected by heavy marijuana use
By William J. Cromie
Gazette Staff

The new study of cognitive changes caused by heavy marijuana use has found no lasting effects 28 days after quitting. Following a month of abstinence, men and women who smoked pot at least 5,000 times in their lives performed just as well on psychological tests as people who used pot sparingly or not at all, according to a report in the latest edition of the Archives of General Psychiatry.

That's the good news. The bad news, not included in the study, is that most heavy users admit that pot has had a negative effect on their physical and mental health as well their functioning on the job and socially.

"If there's one thing I've learned from studying marijuana for more than a decade, it's that proponents and opponents of the drug will put opposite spins on these findings," says Harrison Pope, a Harvard professor of psychiatry and leader of the research. "One day I'll get a letter that will say, 'we are shocked that you are so irresponsible as to publish a report that claims marijuana is almost harmless. That's a terrible disservice to our children.' The next day, I'll get a letter complaining that I'm 'irresponsible for implying there's something wrong with smoking marijuana. You have set back the legalization (of marijuana) movement by 20 years.'

"As a scientist, I'm struck by how passionately people hold opinions in both directions no matter what the evidence says. The other striking thing is how little we actually know about the effects of a drug that has been smoked for thousands of years and been studied for decades."

Withdrawal produces impairment

That shortage of knowledge motivated Pope and his colleagues at McLean Hospital, a Harvard-affiliated psychiatric facility in Belmont, to investigate the drug's long-term cognitive effects. They recruited 180 people, 63 of them heavy users who currently smoked pot daily, 45 former heavy users, and 72 who had used the drug no more than 50 times in their lives. Heavy use was defined as smoking pot at least 5,000 times. The subjects ranged in age from 30 to 55 years. Most of them were males because studies indicate that women are less likely to become heavy marijuana users.

All took batteries of intelligence, attention, learning and memory tests on days 0, 1, 7, and 28 after quitting the drug. (Daily urine samples confirmed whether or not they had stopped.) On days 0, 1 and 7, current heavy smokers scored significantly lower then the other groups on memory tests.

"By day 28, however, there were no significant differences among the groups on any of 10 different tests, and no significant association between cumulative lifetime marijuana use and test scores," Pope says. In other words, the researchers conclude that heavy marijuana use produces no irreversible mental deficits.

The investigators cannot say for sure why pot smokers remain impaired for days or weeks after giving up the drug. One possibility is that that they retain substantial amounts of a compound known as THC, the active ingredient of marijuana, in their systems. THC dissolves in body fat, then slowly percolates into the blood and brain over days and weeks after a joint is smoked.

Another explanation blames a withdrawal effect, similar but not as pronounced as the agitation, irritability, sleeping problems and appetite loss suffered by users of heroin or alcohol. Such symptoms impair attention and memory.

"Some of the deficits we saw were as bad, or even worse on day seven as on day one," Pope notes. "This suggests that withdrawal, rather than a residue of drug in the brain, accounts for the bulk of lingering impairments." A residue effect should decrease from day one to seven after quitting, but withdrawal problems would increase before they decrease.

Pot smokers who believe they are back to normal sometimes show detectable impairments on various tests. "That's a cause for concern," Pope points out. "You don't want to try landing a 747, driving a bus or train, or taking a calculus test a week after heavy marijuana use even if you feel normal."

Unsatisfied lives

Although researchers found no irreversible cognitive defects from a lifetime of marijuana consumption, pot users are not a happy lot. In a separate study, most heavy users admitted that the drug has a negative impact on all aspects of their lives from job performance and physical health to mental well being and satisfactory socializing.

Heavy smokers also have substantially smaller incomes and lower levels of education than nonusers or light users, despite the fact that the education and income levels of their families are the same. However, there's no way to determine if marijuana is the cause or if these people naturally have less ambition.

"It's a chicken and egg situation," Pope admits. "Probably the direction of causality goes both ways. In all likelihood, people who become frequent users are somewhat different at the outset; they may have lower cognitive abilities or less motivation. Once they start using the drug regularly, these differences become wider."

Asked if his conclusions would lead him to make any recommendations for or against legalizing marijuana, Pope answered "no, because so many other political and social factors are involved." He noted that alcohol, which is sold legally, causes cognitive deficits in long-term heavy users that do not disappear after 28 days and may be cumulative. However, he adds, "such toxicity is only one factor in the decision."

A number of investigations have linked marijuana to an increased risk of lung cancer. A recent Harvard study concluded that a middle-age person's chance of having a heart attack increases nearly five times during the first hour after smoking pot. That's especially meaningful for baby boomers who developed the habit in their teens and 20s and continue to use the drug in their 30s, 40s, and 50s. Other researchers have associated pot with impaired disease resistance and adverse effects on fetuses when mothers smoke the drug during pregnancy.

On the other hand, many claims exist that marijuana eases the nausea produced by cancer drugs and relives the pain of diseases such as AIDS, severe arthritis, and glaucoma. Such claims led Canada recently to legalize its medical use.

Pope raises a caveat: "Is it better than other treatments for the same conditions? Given the association with lung cancer and other ills, does it provide more benefit than risk?"

Pro-pot people argue that, even if it's only equal in efficacy to prescription and over-the-counter drugs, it's much cheaper. "After all, it's only a weed," Pope points out.

All of these factors emphasize Pope's point that not much is really known about marijuana despite its long history of use and decades of study.

So the verdict is finally in:

Harvard Gazette: Study: Intelligence, cognition unaffected by heavy... - StumbleUpon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom