Interest High In Maryland's Medical Marijuana

Jacob Redmond

Interest in Maryland's medical marijuana program is higher than anyone expected. The state has received more than 1,000 applications for licenses.

The first stage in approving a license is set for January, but there are so many applications the process may be delayed.

"The thing that works most completely for me is a few puffs of cannabis," said Barry Considine, of Halethorpe.

Polio left Considine's muscles so weak, he's dealing with osteoarthritis. He's in near constant pain throughout his spine, hands and knees.

Maryland's medical marijuana program can't get up and running fast enough as far as Considine is concerned.

"I went through years of Vicodin treatments. I've had fusions, cortisone injections, radio frequency treatments that were really cool," Considine said.

He said he's done it all and none of it is as effective as pot.

Considine has been on the front lines fighting for a medical cannabis program in the state. He said he is pleased with the progress.

The Maryland Medical Cannabis Commission received 1,081 total applications: 811 for dispenser licenses. There are 146 grower applications, but the state will only award 15 and 124 processor applications. This is a license to turn pot into something dispensaries can sell.

Dispensing applications are coming in from every senatorial district in the state, including Baltimore City, but only two dispensary licenses will be allowed in each district. The highest number of applications, which is 172, come from Montgomery County. There are 162 from Baltimore City. There are 149 applications from Baltimore County and 78 from Anne Arundel County.

"The fact that there's more than a 1,000 people saying, 'I want in,' that's terrific," Considine said.

But Maryland's cannabis program has some lose ends. In addition to controlling pain, patients will be medicating with pot to help increase their appetite, but it will be illegal for doctors to prescribe both.

"I can't have access to a pain manager unless I give up the cannabis," Considine said.

Under federal law, medical marijuana users will be faced with a tough choice.

15368.jpg

News Moderator: Jacob Redmond 420 MAGAZINE ®
Full Article: Interest High In Maryland's Medical Marijuana
Author: David Collins
Photo Credit: Matthew Staver

Back
Top Bottom