Marijuana Could Literally Replace These 5 Prescription Drugs

Robert Celt

A new study published in the journal Drug and Alcohol Review found that people are increasingly substituting prescription medication, alcohol, and illicit drugs with cannabis, signaling a shift in the public's understanding of marijuana's medicinal benefits.

Of the 473 adult cannabis users surveyed by the Centre for Addictions Research of British Columbia, more than 86 percent of respondents reported giving up one or more of the substances for pot, with the majority (80.6 percent) forgoing pharmaceuticals for the non-toxic alternative. Those under 40 were also more likely to substitute all three for cannabis, demonstrating its dynamic appeal for both recreational and medical purposes.

People suffering from chronic pain might be particularly inclined to use cannabis instead of prescription medication in light of recent studies that establish its effectiveness at treating pain, improving the quality of patients' lives, and posing no risk of serious adverse side effects. But there are numerous studies that support the idea of marijuana as a safer, more effective alternative to dangerous, addictive pills for a range of illnesses.

HERE ARE FIVE PRESCRIPTION MEDICATIONS THAT COULD BE REPLACED BY CANNABIS.

1. VICODIN (PAINKILLERS)

Multiple studies have determined that marijuana is an effective treatment option for people suffering from chronic pain. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, 44 Americans die each day from painkiller overdose.

2. XANAX (ANTI-ANXIETY MEDICATION)

Not everyone can treat their anxiety with cannabis. For some, smoking pot causes acute anxiety and paranoia, but that effect is often connected with the type of marijuana that the user consumes. Whereas sativas, which are associated with cerebral highs, can sometimes induce anxiety (especially for infrequent users), indica strains of marijuana have been shown to reduce anxiety.

3. ADDERALL (STIMULANTS)

Just as people who suffer from anxiety should be weary of using certain strains of cannabis to treat their disorder, people who want to replace their prescription stimulant with marijuana should be aware that sativas (as opposed to indicas) are more effective at treating ADHD and ADD.

4. AMBIEN (SLEEP AIDS)

Using marijuana to treat sleeping problems is one of the most common applications. Studies and anecdotal reports suggest that it is safer and similarly effective at treating insomnia than prescription drugs such as Ambien, for example.

5. ZOLOFT (ANTIDEPRESSANTS)

Many medical marijuana patients (and several studies) have found that cannabis serves as an effective treatment option for depression. While it might not be right for everyone, research has shown that smoking pot has less serious side effects than those that have been attributed to taking anti-depressants.

Cannabis_vs_Vicodin.jpg

News Moderator: Robert Celt 420 MAGAZINE ®
Full Article: Marijuana Could Literally Replace These 5 Prescription Drugs
Author: Kyle Jaeger
Photo Credit: Wikimedia Commons

It would be interesting to work out how cost effective mj would be compared to the pharma meds. Most older people who are prescribed pain and or sleeping pills, need meds to counter the effects on the stomach. The domino effect.

absolutely agree! I currently take 3 of those 5 (types) of medication for a chronic, debilitating condition. My body feels so toxic that I can't stand it...and side effects from them are similar to symptoms of disorder, so it's a LOSE-LOSE for me. And PA won't dig their heads out of their a$$es to get off the pot-literally and figuratively! My pharma crap costs the insurance company so much money and I can't even say it's down the toilet because unfortunately, constipation is one of the nasty effects of them!! GGRRRRR!!!

I've been on all 5 med at some point or another but as of recently I was on 12 different med for my ptsd, social anxiety, depression,GAD & anger. It took 3 months to detox from 11 meds. I felt bogged down, bloated, and I was in a constant pharma fog. There were also sooooo many side effects, I wasn't living life I was just going through the motions. I take just 1 med at the moment till I can get full access to the complete spectrum.
New York State's idea of mmj is a joke. My Dr. has now taken 4 on line classes ( 50+hrs) to become a certified MMJ dr. only to find out he needs 2 more to be able to certify patients.

Here's another med (at least in my case.) Last time I went to the eye doc I was taken off Xalatan eye drops for Glaucoma. BP med has also been reduced by 1/3.

Here's another data point to add to no-longer used drug list. It's been about six months since I had to use the Voltaren that I've been prescribed for the last four years. The cannabis works better for my osteoarthritis pain and doesn't give me the painful rashes that the Voltaren caused. Good riddance, I say!

Back
Top Bottom