Bruce Wheelman

Legal Advisor
420 Staff
Strain Name: Maui Wowie

When: Jan 2010

Grade: A

Type: Sativa

Price: Free Sample

Looks: Medium green with yellow-orange hairs. Some frosting of crystals. Buds are VERY dense.

Smell: Mild floral/fruity smell.

Taste: The smoke tastes similar to the smell, but a bit sweeter – mild and fruity.

Buzz Type: The buzz hits hard and fast - a couple bong rips and I was feeling the beginnings of a nice head high. Took a few more and enjoyed a trippy/spacey high.

Buzz Length: Medium-Long – the high lasted for about 1.5-2 hours.

Best Medicinal Use: Mood improvement and enhanced creativity/senses

Overall: I’d often heard about this strain, but this was the first time I actually go to try it, and I think it lived up to it’s name. A nice, strong sativa high that had me spacey enough to realize I shouldn’t be attempting anything complex. Took a nice long bike ride and enjoyed the sights, sounds, and smells - everything is just more detailed/intense with a good sativa. I look forward to talking to the Collective about picking some more of this strain up as I only had the 1 bud to taste :)

Maui_Wowie11.jpg

Maui_Wowie22.jpg

Maui_Wowie31.jpg

This is my all time favorite day time smoke. It is such a great feeling sativa. Gives a very nice warm fuzzy melted chocolate on your insides feeling. Excellent for depression, mood, appetite etc. Not good for sleep.

Wow... talk about "bringing back some good memories" (sigh)
I am born-and-raised here in Hawaii and remember the good-ol-days when we had the rep for "the BEST smoke around", and being the "unofficial,self-appointed Mayor of Waikiki" I would meet people on a daily basis looking for one thing, and one thing only on their vacation and that was true, pure Hawaiian "Pakalolo" which was grown, and passed out freely among friends. Damn, Bro... we NEVER paid for bud...another example of the "Aloha" which is one of the many things that makes my home so very special.
The sad-but-true fact is that the pure old-school Hawaiian strains here in the island are a thing of the past.:rip: Growing wild here in the mountains and valleys with no worries soon gave way to rip-offs, cops in helicopters (operation Green Harvest) and the irresponsible growers who would not pull or move their males which eventually led to cross pollenization eventuallu wiping out our "pure" Maui-Wowies, Kauai Electrics, Kona Golds and other legendary Hawaiian strains. I check out the "uncles" and all the old timers with ABSOLUTELY no luck in finding seeds or genetics close to comparing with the stuff that made Hawaiian Pakalolo legendary (sobbing uncontrollably).
Its great to see that some breeders are bringing back the strains that legends were made of but honestly... I have to question the validity of the breeds "pureness".
With that being said... I wish I could've shared that nug with ya'
Aloha No

after just a bowl i was definitely feeling happy uplifted and laughing and smiling a lot. Maui Wowie is a overall better medical strain then most i usually get to pick from the dispensary. great smoke!

This Maui Waui is second on my list to buy online. I just ordered Diesel from MJ Seeds Canada and still to receive my beans in about two weeks from now. Soon as I receive the beans and they proved to be quality seeds that all or most germed, I'd order from them again and this Maui Waui is it. But first, I got to receive my first order. :thumb:

the one strain ive been trying to get ahold of for awhile now but everytime I find a dispensary that has it, im too late :(

One of my favorite "wake and bakes" as it perks me right up and gives me e energy I need to get out of bed. I also really enjoy the SIZE of the buds I have seen in some cases with it. Rediculous huge. :) a+

I am born-and-raised here in Hawaii and remember the good-ol-days when we had the rep for "the BEST smoke around", and being the "unofficial,self-appointed Mayor of Waikiki" I would meet people on a daily basis looking for one thing, and one thing only on their vacation and that was true, pure Hawaiian "Pakalolo" which was grown, and passed out freely among friends. Damn, Bro... we NEVER paid for bud...another example of the "Aloha" which is one of the many things that makes my home so very special.
The sad-but-true fact is that the pure old-school Hawaiian strains here in the island are a thing of the past.:rip: Growing wild here in the mountains and valleys with no worries soon gave way to rip-offs, cops in helicopters (operation Green Harvest) and the irresponsible growers who would not pull or move their males which eventually led to cross pollenization eventuallu wiping out our "pure" Maui-Wowies, Kauai Electrics, Kona Golds and other legendary Hawaiian strains. I check out the "uncles" and all the old timers with ABSOLUTELY no luck in finding seeds or genetics close to comparing with the stuff that made Hawaiian Pakalolo legendary (sobbing uncontrollably).
Its great to see that some breeders are bringing back the strains that legends were made of but honestly... I have to question the validity of the breeds "pureness".
Aloha No

I had a friend who's sister lived in Hawaii and sent seeds to her parents and brother in the late 70's and early 80's here in Michigan. I doubt that they would have any pure Mowie Wowie seeds left that were viable, and any locally grown stuff would have had no seeds or been crossed with a local Indica so not pure MW. But, if they did have seeds from that time-frame I'm not sure they would sprout. I have sprouted 20,30, and 40+ year old tomato seed with a Black Tea soak, and a buddy's mother gave us some old cannabis seeds from the 60's and 70's but they failed to sprout; probably a couple thousand seeds of around 30 strains. I do not know if "seed wake-up" methods that work for tomato seeds would work for cannabis seeds as I have never tried to "wake up" old cannabis seed. And a lot depends on how they were stored.

If there is a thread here with cannabis seed wake-up methods I would be very interested in seeing it because I have a number of sources that might be possible to obtain old seed.

Kona Gold is available again through HighGrade Seeds (I think they are Canadian breeders), who got hold of some old seeds. I'd normally treat it as a knock-off, but then I found an oldtimer's report who claims that this line is great and exactly like the original. Maui Wowie on the other hand is available through Nirvana and High Quality Seeds. I wouldn't mind trying one of these to be honest.

I've got about 18 seeds from a '70s Kauai Electric, as well as 3 from what would probably be more appropriately called a "modern iteration".

Some strains, like Maui Wowie, were more like constant works in progress than a particular thing. It was also named by the major buyer, not the growers of what was known as Maui Wowie.. Or at least this is what I've heard. Could be wrong.

It wasn't in the 'hay day' but my father worked with someone in the family that made Wowie and was honored by being brought to one of their plots on Maui (during a business trip..a legit one!). He never really thought much of it at the time... Before I got into growing the most he ever said about cannabis was "back in Kentucky, farmers tell you don't let the cows eat that stuff... They act all weird.".. Now I've heard quite a bit, he has a pretty solid memory of seeing it and it's use in Vietnam too... But still never held it in much regard. Weird, I love the stuff... Maybe it skips a generation?

Sorry to rant, Mr.Cyclist, another great review! Love your pictures

Is there someone old enough here, who smoked and grew his way through 60's, 70's or early 80's and remembers how Maui Wowie really looked? I'm growing a sativa-dominant strain called Hawaiian Skunk Haze (Maui Wowie x Skunk #1 theoretically), and I got that kind of pheno.

hsh31.jpg

hsh4.jpg

hsh5.jpg

I remember the buds being about 2 inches long maybe 1 inch wide for Maui Wowie. Puna buds were about one half inch longer in the late seventies.

Aloha No

When I lived in Hawaii in the 70s, there was a high I got from Hawaiian jungle grown, if that be Wowie or whatever kine, that I never could experience from the dispensary-grades on the mainland - no matter the strain. When I grow my own, as poor a grower as I am at 9000 feet in Colorado; the skinny plant must have attuned to me and my needs because, my high was a better experience than the commercial grower's products, even organic.

Desperate for that old Hawaiian high, when I go to Maui in a few months, I want to find some local grown Maui Wowie, if possible, but anything grown on the soil in Hawaii will do - and not from a grow room or warehouse. There must have been a freedom of the plant to grow in that natural process made a dramatic difference in the high I experienced. After sampling soils from around the world, UCLA determined that the soil in Waipio Valley was the richest soil in the planet That was where the plant grew, from which I smoked my first pakalolo. Nothing, I have smoked on the mainland compares to what I smoked in the islands, even as recently a few years ago I caught that high once again, while on the Big Island. I miss it too bra!

@JesusLover and all with old seeds

Wtf I need "just" 50 Posts to be able to send some PM, here is what the PM looks like:

"I'm reading this thread
Maui Wowie
and maybe I could help you sprouting those old seeds, I live in Serbia/Europe, and we have some stuff that has grow stimulators, auxines etc. in it, that can help seeds to sprout, "Slavol S": SLAVOL S | Agrounik

It's a small bottle, maybe I can send it to you via post...

I have sprouted some autoflowering seeds in it, and the roots gone mad, I had problems because of to fast growing roots in 0,5l plastic jars lol:rofl: "

Back
Top Bottom