Genuine Grand Daddy Purple - Ken's Cut

Strain Name - Genuine Grand Daddy Purple - Clone Only
Source - NorCal - Source Close to the Breeder
When - Purchased 06/16/11 - Harvested 8/27/11 through 10/11/11 - Sampled 10/15/11
Price - $15.00 per 3" clone
Type - Pure Indica
Genetics - Purple Urkle/Oregon Big Bud Hybrid
Appearance - Medium to large colas wth deep rich purple hues that develop quickly in the last few weeks of flowering under ideal conditions. The change is perpetuated and enhanced by cold overnight temperatures in the low 40s to mid 50s
Smell - A pleasant spicey, pungent and sweet fruity aroma unique to this strain. Nothing smells like genuine GDP!
Taste - A distinctively grape taste accompany the smooth and even buzz. Expect more energy than a typical indica. Great for going out hiking or otherwise enjoying mother nature.
Type of High - An excellent medical strain for significant pain relief and calming frayed nerves, GDP joins the ranks of many other high quality Indica strains. It produces an incredibly relaxing experience of a lengthy “body high” that is excellent for pain management or just winding down from a stressful day, yet has a bit more of a stimulating effect than many other Indicas in its class, but free of the annoying anxiety inducing speedy effect of a Sativa, making it a great choice for those who don't enjoy the rapid heart rate/palpitations and other negative effects of the heavy Sativa strains.

My personal experience with GDP

I've always been a huge fan of this strain from the very first time I bought some from a local collective. The stuff was damned expensive but the aroma and the high were unmatched by anything I had ever tried before!

At $550.00 an ounce here in California, I knew that if I wanted to continue to enjoy such great weed, I needed to track down some GDP seeds of my own to grow a crop for myself. (In fact, there is no such thing as genuine GDP seeds)

I quickly learned that the original GDP strain was invented by a well known Cannabis cultivator/researcher by the name of Ken Estes. Because of the way the strain was created, the only way to obtain genuine GDP is by obtaining clones taken from the original GDP mother plant or from one of her many off-spring clones. It took me over a year to make the right contacts and in June of 2011 I finally obtained three genuine GDP clones from Ken's original plant! :)

The following is a quick photo essay of the growth from tiny clones to the impressive yields of thick, large and dense purple hued bud!

Week #1

P1010701.jpg

GDP #1 Week 4

P1010906.JPG

GDP #3 Week 4

P1010908.JPG

GDP #2 Week 8 of Flowering

P1011602.JPG

P1011573.JPG

P1011611.JPG

GDP #3 Week 6 of Flowering

P1011850.JPG

P10118461.JPG

GDP #1 Bud Shots Week 7

P1012036.JPG

p1012035.JPG

Trimmed and ready for the chop at Week 8

P1012062.JPG

P1012066.JPG

GDP Trichome Photos (80x Microscope)

GDP115.jpg
GDP52.jpg
GDP81.jpg
GDP151.jpg

GDP #1 Harvest Wet Weigh In

P1012069.JPG

GDP #3 Week 8 of Flowering

P1012156.JPG

P1012158.JPG

GDP #3 Harvest Wet Weigh In

p1012167.JPG

Drying and Curing: Just like any five star variety, GDP needs to be slow dried and slow cured for optimimum taste, smoothness and staying power. I recommend 3-5 days of hang drying in a dark closet with a timer controlled fan set to the lowest speed. When the buds feel crispy to the touch, they can be removed and manicured for the curing jars.

They should be placed in 1 quart glass jars with the lids off for the first few days, followed by dumping them out onto a table for further air drying with no fan used. Then return them to the jars and put the airtight lids on and leave them for 24 hours sealed. For the next week, remove the lids for about 20 minutes twice a day. After this period allow to remain sealed in the jars for at least 3 weeks before sampling. The results will be a fine smooth smoke with no harsh throat buring effects.

Storage: For long term storage, I recommend using either glass jars or some other airtight containers with a "Humidipak 72% RH" moisture control packet placed in the jar. This will keep the bud at the proper humidity for months and even years without any degradation. The longer the bud is aged in this way, the better it gets!

The ultimate method to partake of GDP is through a quality vaporizer. Using this method, you obtain all the beautiful nuances of the plant's unique taste and aroma and a more mellow body high than when smoked in a pipe or Bong.

GDP #3 Final Dry and Cure

P1012174.JPG

Four new GDP Clones from 1 and 3 for next years crop!

P1012107.JPG

Conclusion:

5-STARS +

GDP is my hands down favorite strain. While I have grown a lot of other equally high quality strains, nothing can touch genuine GDP when it comes to its forgiving nature while growing, and its explosive flower production if given the proper environment. While this strain can be grown indoors, it does far better outside under real sunlight from late April through the middle of October. GDP likes a wide temperature swing between highs and lows, so it grows best in climates that can provide this.

Areas such as Northern California (Humbolt County) and the high Sierra Nevada between 3000 and 5000 feet. These areas provide the optimum growing conditions for this strain, and the results are simply spectacular.

Hope you enjoyed the review and I welcome your comments! :thanks:

Great review, GG7! +REPS!!! :bravo:

Makes me want to try some of that GDP, but alas, I don't get the low temps where I am, so I'm waiting for an invite from you! :)

Great job!

Great review, GG7! +REPS!!! :bravo:

Makes me want to try some of that GDP, but alas, I don't get the low temps where I am, so I'm waiting for an invite from you! :)

Great job!

Thanks K! Even if it doesn't turn purple, that won't effect the great smell and the one of a kind buzz! :)

A simply super grow journal. Beautiful pictures and a easy to follow dialogue to follow and understand. RD :bravo::bravo::bravo::circle-of-love::peace::peace::peace:

Thanks Man!

If you liked what you saw here, I invite you to check out my primary grow journal linked in my SIG. :)

Great review! GDP is awesome. I really wish seeds were readily available!

I have a friend that claims to have all sorts of amazing seeds... But from what I've heard, maybe one in 50 seeds pop since he stored them terribly. After a few grows I may give it a try... If he has them labeled nicely. The two that caught my ear were Kona Gold and Elephant. He claims to have Maui Wowee, but I doubt its legit.. For some reason I trust his big island seeds more on authenticity. I might be able to get some legit Maui Wowee... Never hurts to try :)

Good job goldengoose real nice review. :love: looking at your GDP such a stunning strain!

5* and +REP from me!

:adore:

Thanks as always GS! :cheer:

Glad you enjoyed this review thread. I've got a few more to do here over the next few weeks. Going to be reviewing my Purple White Rhino and the Purple Urkle bud as soon as they are harvested, dried and cured for sampling.

I harvested a couple of my MINI BBK plants yesterday and have them drying right now. I took these two mini plants about a week earlier than normal cause I wanted to compare the effects for better or worse.

More on all that is in my main journal. :thanks:

Great review! GDP is awesome. I really wish seeds were readily available!

I have a friend that claims to have all sorts of amazing seeds... But from what I've heard, maybe one in 50 seeds pop since he stored them terribly. After a few grows I may give it a try... If he has them labeled nicely. The two that caught my ear were Kona Gold and Elephant. He claims to have Maui Wowee, but I doubt its legit.. For some reason I trust his big island seeds more on authenticity. I might be able to get some legit Maui Wowee... Never hurts to try :)

Hi again THSea!

Getting hold of legit strains is probably the most difficult thing to do because you are at the mercy of whomever is selling the stuff to you. Are they honest brokers of quality clones and seeds, or are they out for just the $$ and will lie and deceive potential buyers as to the strains they "think" they are buying. That has a lot to do with why there is so much counterfeit/bogus GDP fakes out there for sale.

It is a buyer beware scenario for sure.

My personal source for all of my clones has been stellar in delivering everything they claimed the plants to be, from the GDP to the BBK to the Blue Cheese. The only purchase that I feel may not be legit are these Purple Urkle I have growing out back.

Even with all the cold overnights that have been turning even non-purple strains purple up here this month have not had any effect on these Urkle plants. I keep looking for hints of the purple in the trichome stalks, but so far nothing.

I'm not planning to continue the Urkle strain after this harvest, so we will just have to see if they produce some quality buds and desirable effects. I'm shooting for a harvest of all of those Urkles around the 29th of October. I figure that will put them just over week 8, since all these started flowering naturally back in late July. Maybe they will wait till the last moment like GDP #2 did before she started turning just before week 8 of her cycle arrived.

One thing I have found is that plants that are left outside their entire lives under natural sunlight, move through the flowering process at a much slower pace than indoor grows on 12/12. Because of this increased development time, it is not always easy to know exactly how far long a particular naturally flowering specimen is in her cycle.

You really have to rely on a good Jewelers Loupe and a Microscope to make the final call.

GDP and Norcal URKLE are so similar but just ever so slightly different. When the plant get's to around week 7 and you hit it with cold temps. at night it will turn completely purple. The bud has a green grape flavor and I have grown this strain many many times. At least 4 or 5 times. The taste and bag appeal are out of this world, but the high is so so. I personally like the heavy duty Kush like OG, Chem Dawg, and the Diesel strains, but people LOVE the fruity taste of this bud. Also, the yields are usually pretty good if you top it correctly. The plants get enormous when you grow them in hydro buckets like a Water Farm.

Big ups to Ken for breeding this strain! Check out his OG cut called "Ken's OG". You can find it at his dispensary in NorCal, Patient to Patient.

Fantastic post! The pictures had me in a sweat. Would love to taste those buds. Thanks for posting the review.

You're welcome Lord Indica!

With a handle like that I am not surprised that these impressive GDP plants would have impressed you!

I plan similar review summaries of my other strains over in my main grow journal as my last few entries before that thread is moved to the Completed Journals section.

I plan to start a new grow journal for 2012 early next year so be on the look out for that around March of 2012 when preparations for the outdoor growing season begins. :)

:thanks::peace::cheer::Namaste:

I had to stop back by and see your masterful bounty once more. I tell ya those girls did really well and I am sure the efforts of their master were very well rewarded. I am going to have to try that strain it is exquisite from the pics you have posted. Very well done. You kept them outdoors the whole time right?

I had to stop back by and see your masterful bounty once more. I tell ya those girls did really well and I am sure the efforts of their master were very well rewarded. I am going to have to try that strain it is exquisite from the pics you have posted. Very well done. You kept them outdoors the whole time right?

Hey LI and GetRight!

For the most part YES. They spent about 3 weeks inside when they were tiny cuttings until the weather warmed enough that they could survive outside both day and night. We have the threat of frost up here in the Sierra as late as early June, so I usually can't leave anything outdoors full time until about the second week of June.

Glad you have enjoyed this thread so much! I have three remaining clones from these original plants that are doing nicely indoors at the moment. After the holidays I plan to update my main journal with a few new photos as well as some smoke reviews of all my various crops from 2011.

Things have been hectic around here with other things, so I just haven't had the time to tend to my stuff up here. Soon though, so stay tuned! :)

Happy holidays to you and everyone up here on the 420 site! Looking forward to getting back into the action here in a few more months, once preparations for the 2012 growing season get underway.

Cheers. :)

Back
Top Bottom