Another Northern Lights Medical Grow

Tennessee Tim

I have been extremely pleased with the King's Northern Lights Auto Fem seeds. I suffer from RA and numerous old injuries that often have me in a bad way physically! Out of many strains I have tested over the past 45 -50 years on myself, this is a real winner! Extremely vigorous growing, stout and multi branching growth. The plants produce lots of bud of excellent quality,both in size and smokability (for auto flowering types). I see only minor differences between most of the plants I have grown, with primarily, some being shorter or taller than the others. Pleasant smelling and tasting to me! The yield is better than many other Auto Fems in my experience. I grow organic compost based soil in felt 3 gallon bags for all my auto varieties. They do very well under just HO, T-5, 6-8 bulb, 48 inch fixtures, that I normally use for seedlings/vegetative state growing ( keep the bulbs close to the plants tops 4"-5" and adjust daily as needed). However, I do change the bulbs from veg to flower type bulbs when they move to the flowering stage. This lowers my electric cost and heat in the grow area as compared to using my 1000 watt HPS fixtures and leaves them (HPS) available to grow more non autos! Typically, I grow only 4-6 Northern Lights Auto Fems plants directly under a fixture and they produce quite well, with well developed buds. The resulting smoke helps me cope with my pain and nerve issues better than most or as well as any I have smoked , without leaving me couch locked! I sincerely believe, that it reduces the inflammation of tissue, and slows the progress of RA along with reducing my discomfort. I can heartily endorse the King's strain of Northern Lights after using it several times now. I have used NL seeds purchased by associates or myself from many sources, some have been very nice as well, but the King's NL Autos have met all my needs (size, quality, uniformity, yield, speed to harvest) better! The yeild has varied a bit from aprox. 2 oz. to over 5 oz each of buds, but most come in heavy! I should mention, that besides the organic compost in my soil mix, I do treat with Saltwater Farms-SeaCom-PGR, organic seaweed concentrate and Neptune's Fish Emulsion(both available from Johnny's Seeds) at about a week/10 days after starting and sometimes a week or two after the beginning of the bloom period, mixed according to directions. I use these products on all my crops grown in soil to round out my trace elements and produce good vigor, both in containers and in outdoors gardens, for pot or vegetables, for many years now. Happy Growing!

Under the T5 lights 2 oz per plant is more common, under my HPS lights 5oz+
is common using organic compost soil based grows. Sorry I kind of ran that all together. While you can get satisfactory results of some good weed under the T5 lights the buds are less dense and the yield is reduced as compared to growing under HPS lights! That does not stop me from growing under my T5 fixtures! The King's NL autos are awesome! I have had good
success with most plants even under the T5's being dense, well branched with healthy stems and great smoke! Good luck and enjoy!

On the Auto Flowers, I usually just let them go! They are pre programmed to grow fast , bloom and mature rapidly! The Northern Lights Auto is a good yeilder! It will make you want to improve your grow until you can get the full potential possible but even under Flourescents you can get a decent reward!

I am underway with my NL. How long does it usually take yours to break soil after they are planted. Also, do you water the soil before they sprout? If so, how wet? Also, how much light do you keep on the pots before they sprout. Sorry for so many questions but this is my first time with "high test" seeds :)

If you pre sprout the seed it will burst out in a day or two or three! But don't worry about it! Pot really does grow like a weed! I use pre moistened damp mix in my grow bags and water them after I plant the seeds. You want to water well then let it dry out on the surface before watering again. Use a well draining mix if doing soil grows! Be careful to not over water! Many young plants are watered to death! I sprout my seeds in paper towels in the dark and once they are planted begin a normal grow lighting schedule of 18 hours a day. More seeds are rotted by watering too much rather than too little. Some people may do it different but I think mimicking nature can't be too wrong! A sprouted seed will grow towards the light and emerge even if it is a very weak light! If you do not start the sprouted seeds under a normal healthy light cycle they may reach up in a spindly weakened sprout instead of a strong healthy sprout that is never impaired a bit from the start! Do not have the light too close to the young seedling at first staying at least 4-6 inches above it with Fluorescent lighting to avoid too much heat on the tender shoot! Then watch daily and adjust the lights /plants so they stay 2"-6" below the tubes. As the tops almost reach the bulbs readjust them to 4"-6" below again. If you used a good compost in your soil mix do not add any fertilizer the first week after the seed comes up. After a week or so you can use Fertilizers according to directions a time or two if desired. I use SeaCom PGR concentrated kelp liguid@ 1 teaspoon per gallon of water and one tablespoon Alaskan Fish Emulsion together at one week and again a few weeks later after Blooming has begun. This is a good fertilizer mix to provide any trace elements, natural hormones and enzymes that may be missing or in short supply in my garden compost and amendments mix. I use generous amount of perlite and vermiculite along with compressed peat moss, and my compost to make my soil mix. A good quality commercial mix with added compost and beneficial organisms would be good as well,I think, using the liquid fertilizer as described. You go for it! You can't make any mistakes others haven't already done before and you will eventually reap a rewarding harvest! Experience is the best teacher, after you have researched the basics.

I prefer Indica , it seems,judging from my most common choices over the years! However, I really do love some Sativa dominants as well! Today, we have so much to choose from, half the fun is in the selection process! I wonder how many strains can I grow before my time is done?

I prefer Indica , it seems,judging from my most common choices over the years! However, I really do love some Sativa dominants as well! Today, we have so much to choose from, half the fun is in the selection process! I wonder how many strains can I grow before my time is done?

Great attitude there Tim, great minds think alike, I grew out the Seedsman version of Northern Lights, ordered feminized seeds, and was very pleased with the results. After a year I got tired of the aroma and switched to several other strains, but looking back I think the NL was the best strain for yield and effect. A big plus is the daily "wow" factor when looking at the grow, something about huge buds that just makes a gardener feel better. I make most of my buds into RSO, using Everclear and coconut oil, and put into capsules to treat myself after brain cancer surgery/radiation. The oil helps with age related discomfort also and hopefully will prevent regrowth of tumors.
NL%20plant%205%20buds_zpsyrdxn4rz.jpg

My experience with NL was that it has a strong sedative effect, several friends tried smoking this and every time they wound up sleeping on my floor or sofa. Strong Indica for sure. That was part of my decision to grow other strains, but recently, after trying GDP, have decided to grow it again, primarily for making oil. The GDP had a similar effect, but the NL grows better, faster and has bigger yield. Although I will try to keep both in my little garden for variety.

NL-5-20-2013%20006_zpss1bl9ys2.jpg

Mine were a skunky pine aroma and very strong. Odor control measures were required to keep the neighbors from getting involved.
smell.jpg

My apologies to all! I started this thread and dropped out. I got sick last winter and early spring and could barely function for several months. I am recovered pretty well now! Since then I have grown Northern lights again along with several other CK autos. Northern lights has been one of my favorites. I made some oil with some friends and some butter from it as well. It helps with my RA and other pains so well that I have discontinued(6 plus months now) taking Methotrexate/ folic acid RX's for the RA and am much better than before! Much less pain (almost clear of pain most days) and no new joint damage that I can see. In fact, much of my illness was reactions to prescription meds! I stopped taking almost all of them and started just using Cannabis and improved rapidly for most of my issues! I even have gone back to working a part time job again after taking a forced medical retirement and beginning social security. Northern lights has been a part of that recovery!:rollit:

Hey Tennessee Tim, I'm new here and was reading your thread. It's really great to hear that you're recovering well and that NL has played a big part! It's amazing that you've been able to come off your pain meds too! I'm currently growing NL feminized but I'm a COMPLETE newbie so I'm sure you'll be seeing a lot of posts from me in the growing forums bombarding everyone with questions :) Take care!

My apologies to all! I started this thread and dropped out. I got sick last winter and early spring and could barely function for several months. I am recovered pretty well now! Since then I have grown Northern lights again along with several other CK autos. Northern lights has been one of my favorites. I made some oil with some friends and some butter from it as well. It helps with my RA and other pains so well that I have discontinued(6 plus months now) taking Methotrexate/ folic acid RX's for the RA and am much better than before! Much less pain (almost clear of pain most days) and no new joint damage that I can see. In fact, much of my illness was reactions to prescription meds! I stopped taking almost all of them and started just using Cannabis and improved rapidly for most of my issues! I even have gone back to working a part time job again after taking a forced medical retirement and beginning social security. Northern lights has been a part of that recovery!:rollit:

thanks for sharing some of your knowledge! Glad you found something to ease the pain. Stay well.

thanks for sharing some of your knowledge! Glad you found something to ease the pain. Stay well.

:rollit::rollit:The cannabis therapy for RA is still working! I have noticed that if I get sick (I caught a cold) the pain in my joints and spine breaks through a bit. Maybe, the weakened immune system from the disease and the cold simultaneously is a bit much for the cannabinoids to deal with! :cheesygrinsmiley:Still no new signs outwardly of disfiguration from the RA, which suggest that the therapy is working to inhibit or delay severe inflammation! If I can still report this in a couple years, it will become even greater of significance! The level of pain and disability has continued to be much less under the cannabis therapy. I still have had no return to the hip and groin pain waking me at night or the ankles and hands with sharp shooting pains . :cheesygrinsmiley:Northern lights will be grown for oil/bud again this spring and probably every spring as long as I can! I will be growing two new strains (for me to grow) this year, from Crop King, along with a variety from another source.

Back
Top Bottom