Can MJ help my condition?

t33to

Hey 420,

I'm pretty new to these forums. I shopped around a bit before deciding which online community I would call home and I ultimately picked this place over ----- as I was really impressed with the weekly articles and the information on this site is incredible!

So I'm also new to the idea of MJ as a medicine for myself. I've had my moments with it as recreational en devour before but I have a condition now which my current doctor doesn't think anything can treat and I have a friend who swears by MJ as a medicine for a similar condition.

My condition, although I'm sure it has a name I do not know what it is, but I'll explain it to you and you can tell me if you think MJ can help out with it at all. If MJ can't help with it but some other natural herb medicine could please advise.

I spent the better part of my teenage and early adult life 12-25 (I'm 28) now teaching, performing and training break dancing. During that same period of life and continuing now into my adult life if I wasn't break dancing I was doing my other hobby/profession which is computer programming.

With these two very wrist intensive activities I feel confident in saying that my wrists cause me excruciating pain on a regular basis. Now I realize I can't break dance till I'm 80. As painful as that is for me to accept I can't not work with computers. That's what I do for a living but I've been considering cutting back my hours as the pain get's so intense after an hour or so of hacking. I've done everything I can to accommodate my wrists.

I have an ergonomic keyboard, I take frequent breaks, I have wrist pads and rests and as of lately my doctor tells me my "wrists don't have a diagnosable condition, they are just tired and need a break". He is a great doctor, been in our family since I can remember. He's very anti-medication which I've always agreed with. I get that my body is trying to tell me that my wrists need a break "BUT I CAN'T TAKE A BREAK" from work. It's my lively hood.

He doesn't seem to be familiar with MJ as a medicine and I'm hesitant to discuss it with him. So this friend I have uses MJ to cope with cancer and said that it can be very good at subduing pain when used as a topical ointment. Or maybe as a spray. I'm not sure really. I don't even get how MJ can be turned into something other than some dried plant matter so the idea of it being used other that just as something you smoke perplexes me. This friend has referred me to his doctor to get a "second opinion" on my condition and I'm not even sure what to say to his doctor and quite frankly, being younger, looking younger, and being of a typical racial stereo type (shaved head, asian) I feel quite embarrassed even bringing this up with anyone and I'm afraid I won't be taken seriously.

So the reason I'm here: I want to know if MJ could be used to either heal or reduce the pain I feel in my wrists during the work day, whether or not it would affect my ability to process complex equations (I'm a programmer after all) and how would I administer it. Depending on it's mental effects I may also need a note from my doctor for my employer as I'm not sure they would be impressed if I smelled like MJ at work, especially when doing presentations in front of our clients.

Thanks for taking the time to read and respond. I deeply value your experienced suggestions.

Namaste

Hello,

I myself have a medical problem and I refuse to take pain meds. I am a Medical Marijuana user and I can say without a doubt this FAR better then any pain pill. If you get stoned, then you took to much. Dial it down next time. I also bought a vaporizor which cost me a couple hundred dollars. No smell and it works. Best of luck!

Hello,

I myself have a medical problem and I refuse to take pain meds. I am a Medical Marijuana user and I can say without a doubt this FAR better then any pain pill. If you get stoned, then you took to much. Dial it down next time. I also bought a vaporizor which cost me a couple hundred dollars. No smell and it works. Best of luck!

Hey thanks for chiming in!

So do you find that smoking it works better than other methods? Is there any specific regiment that you adhere to? How do you dose yourself? Weigh it out or something?

Uhhhh it sounds to me like you have carple tunnel syndrome? Do you ever wake up n ur fingers are asleep (numb, tingly, burning) n hurt like hell... Possibly all the way up to ur elbow.

N honestly when you first start smokin MJ you'll get HIGH AS FUCK n it might be hard to function well at work n do complex equations but once you've been smokin daily for awhile you build tollerance n it's easy to do anything you normally do IMO, even complex equations... I find it's even easier to do em high sometimes tbh because when ur high ur mad focused on what ur doin n have more of an ability to think outside the box

Only problem I see is for intense pain you usually need an indica strain which makes you stoned and often causes "couch lock" where you get so tired you can't do anything but veg on the couch n pass out... Specially when ur highs ending n ur burning out...

You'd want a nice sativa for work cause it gives u an energic, happy head high n lil to no burn out when ur commin down but I don't think sativas help much for pain...

But then there's hybrids that are a mixture of both which might give you indica pain relief while not makin u passout....

I'm not an expert on medical benefits so don't think what I said is carved in stone.. There might be pain relief from sativas, I'm jus lettin u know what I know

You'd definitely have to experiment n find the right strain/high or just fight through the pain at work n be happy with relief at night... But MJ will definitely help u with ur pain

I was also thinkin if it is carple tunnel... Carple tunnel syndrome is due to the median nerve bein pinched in the carple tunnel channel it runs through causing inflammation... I'm pretty sure MJ decreases inflammation (atleast in Ur airway with asthma) so it might work for this as well as help with overall pain. I think ur doctor woulda diagnosed carple tunnel if u had tho *shrugs*
N if it is carple tunnel n u just cover up the pain n keep usin ur hands n wrists a lot it's gonna continue to get worse n ur gonna end up needin surgery probably... But as I said I think ur doctor woulda diagnosed it if it was... I dont think it's hard for a doctor to tell if you got carple tunnel... Specially if it's so bad ur in intense pain regularly

I'm sure someone who knows more on this will let you know a bit more but I hope I helped a bit

Oya n for how much u'd have to smoke... When you start out you could probably smoke 0.25 grams n be right high... A doctor isn't gonna be able to tell you how much you need to take ur just gonna have to experiment urself with different amounts n different strains to see what works... Just know that you can't really smoke "to much"... With a sativa you might get some anxiety n ur thoughts might run off to places you dont like i guess is how id explain it n with a indica u'll just put urself to sleep... But ur not gonna harm or kill urself heh...AIr sounds like you got a pretty nice life with hobbies you enjoy so if you don't have a natural addictive personality or depression I highly highly highly doubt u'll get addicted since there's nothing in MJ to make you addicted. (iv been smokin daily for years and I stop for months when I have to... I'm actually stopping right now for a couple months because I'm growin my own MJ for the first time and want my tolerance to go down so its that much sweeter when I smoke my own buds I cared for n nurtured) So I'd experiment at home with strains n doses before I started usin it at work... N I don't believe u'd even get high if it were a topical or spray but I really know nothin bout them I just smoke :p

(excuse my run on sentences, I wrote this short story sized post with my iPhone n didn't wanna switch back n forth between punctuation n letter keys)

Uhhhh it sounds to me like you have carple tunnel syndrome? Do you ever wake up n ur fingers are asleep (numb, tingly, burning) n hurt like hell... Possibly all the way up to ur elbow.

N honestly when you first start smokin MJ you'll get HIGH AS FUCK n it might be hard to function well at work n do complex equations but once you've been smokin daily for awhile you build tollerance n it's easy to do anything you normally do IMO, even complex equations... I find it's even easier to do em high sometimes tbh because when ur high ur mad focused on what ur doin n have more of an ability to think outside the box

Only problem I see is for intense pain you usually need an indica strain which makes you stoned and often causes "couch lock" where you get so tired you can't do anything but veg on the couch n pass out... Specially when ur highs ending n ur burning out...

You'd want a nice sativa for work cause it gives u an energic, happy head high n lil to no burn out when ur commin down but I don't think sativas help much for pain...

But then there's hybrids that are a mixture of both which might give you indica pain relief while not makin u passout....

I'm not an expert on medical benefits so don't think what I said is carved in stone.. There might be pain relief from sativas, I'm jus lettin u know what I know

You'd definitely have to experiment n find the right strain/high or just fight through the pain at work n be happy with relief at night... But MJ will definitely help u with ur pain

I was also thinkin if it is carple tunnel... Carple tunnel syndrome is due to the median nerve bein pinched in the carple tunnel channel it runs through causing inflammation... I'm pretty sure MJ decreases inflammation (atleast in Ur airway with asthma) so it might work for this as well as help with overall pain. I think ur doctor woulda diagnosed carple tunnel if u had tho *shrugs*
N if it is carple tunnel n u just cover up the pain n keep usin ur hands n wrists a lot it's gonna continue to get worse n ur gonna end up needin surgery probably... But as I said I think ur doctor woulda diagnosed it if it was... I dont think it's hard for a doctor to tell if you got carple tunnel... Specially if it's so bad ur in intense pain regularly

I'm sure someone who knows more on this will let you know a bit more but I hope I helped a bit

Oya n for how much u'd have to smoke... When you start out you could probably smoke 0.25 grams n be right high... A doctor isn't gonna be able to tell you how much you need to take ur just gonna have to experiment urself with different amounts n different strains to see what works... Just know that you can't really smoke "to much"... With a sativa you might get some anxiety n ur thoughts might run off to places you dont like i guess is how id explain it n with a indica u'll just put urself to sleep... But ur not gonna harm or kill urself heh...AIr sounds like you got a pretty nice life with hobbies you enjoy so if you don't have a natural addictive personality or depression I highly highly highly doubt u'll get addicted since there's nothing in MJ to make you addicted. (iv been smokin daily for years and I stop for months when I have to... I'm actually stopping right now for a couple months because I'm growin my own MJ for the first time and want my tolerance to go down so its that much sweeter when I smoke my own buds I cared for n nurtured) So I'd experiment at home with strains n doses before I started usin it at work... N I don't believe u'd even get high if it were a topical or spray but I really know nothin bout them I just smoke :p

(excuse my run on sentences, I wrote this short story sized post with my iPhone n didn't wanna switch back n forth between punctuation n letter keys)

Good advice man with the strains. I guess considering MM zero death rate it might actually be OK for someone to experiment with different strains, doses and dose methods. I never thought of it that way before.

My doc and I ruled out carpel tunnel as the "right" part of my hand doesn't get numb. It's a different part. Apparently Carpel Tunnel is when your first three fingers go numb, up to your elbow. Only once in a while do I get numbing in my pinky finger and up to my elbow... Go figure.

Any how, I've got a Doctors appointment with a different doctor for a second opinion on the matters and I've heard this doctor has prescribed MM as an ointment before to people with other painful conditions. I'm not hell bent on getting MM as a medicine, I'd settle for any solution at this point but I just don't see what else there is to try that isn't from big Pharma.

Back
Top Bottom