Rookie using Magical Butter for IBS/Crohn's Pain and Anxiety

LundqvistSave

Out of the hundreds of treatments I've tried, it seems that marijuana is the only substance that makes my daily IBS symptoms completely disappear.

Right now I've only been vaporizing. But my hope is to make cannabis butter to a precise dosage, then put that amount into small gelatin capsules. I would then like to take the dosage as needed everyday to combat the pain. (Perhaps once at bedtime and once in the afternoon.) I am planning on experimenting because I still have a day job, so I want to get the painkilling aspect of the THC without as much of the euphoria and the high so I can still work. I suspect that I will need to experiment multiple times with dosages to get this right.

Here is the Magical Butter 2 that I just purchased if you are not familiar with the product:

I'm new to this, so I will definitely have a few questions. Firstly, I'm hoping that my plan here is logically sound. I assume putting the butter into a gelatin capsule and storing them won't be a problem with refrigeration and that the absorption in the stomach will work well.

If so, here are my other questions:

1) What strain should I use? As stated, I'm looking for something to quell my stomach pain and bloating, while reducing my anxiety that won't knock me out. Preferably something I can still focus and work with while ingesting. Currently my friend has three strains: Kryptonite, Bubba Kush and OG Kush. Which would work the best of these three?

2) Per Magical Butter, the butter recipe calls for 4-10 sticks of butter and 4-8 grams of herb per stick of butter. Since I'm new to edibles in general I'm not quite sure where to even start here. Is there an arbitrary number that would be safe to try first? Maybe 4 sticks and 4 grams per each stick?(I'm planning on keeping all my measurements documented so I can precisely experiment and find the right amount that works for me. I will also keep time of when I start to feel the effects of each dose/how long/etc.)

3) Right now I smoke every day, but I do not dose with edibles, so will I have to eventually assess my tolerance and keep making more potent batches each time I do this?

Thank you all in advance for reading this long, drawn-out post. I am really hoping this works, and really do appreciate your input or just your desire to take a look at my post. Thanks!

Hi LundqvistSave,

Welcome to 420 Magazine! Bubba Kush & OG Kush are both excellent strains for your aliment's. I haven't tried Kryptonite.

A great idea to chart everything. Here is a link that might be what your looking for } Cannabis Edibles. Recipes and some very knowledgeable peeps on the butter/recipes.

If the edibles do not work the way you like there are other options also for your aliments.

Beemerbill has done much with dosing he uses weight as a way to make pills uniformly his ratios are as follows
His ratios are 6:1 gets you high, 7:1 for nighttime, 10:1 for day time this is just a suggestion for a starting point you may want to adjust these ratios for your particular needs.

Am I correct in interpreting the above to mean that in order to get high you need one ounce of cannabis for every 6 ounces of butter/oil? That seems awfully high, pun not intended.

Hey LS, I'd go with the Bubba myself, or the OG... Kryptonite usually makes people tired ;)

Decarboxylate your cannabis before using the machine!!! That's just in the oven 20 min @ 220*f. It will increase the potency for edibles and tinctures. Tinctures are a good choice, especially if you are to nauseated to eat... Since it's sublingual as opposed to having to swallow and keep down some pills.

If you use coconut oil it will be a bit healthier of a choice, and it's easier to put in capsules. Also, if you have ever eaten a big chunk of butter by itself, it's gross. I have, trust me.. Gross. That is if you don't make capsules, which I do not.

Another option with the Magical Butter Machine for concentrated cannabis oil. Do your quick wash first, filter, pour into the magical butter machine. Set temp to 190, select the oil button and start. When its done, pour into a SS measuring cup (no filtering required-already done via quick-wash) do your decarb via plate warmer, or double boiler method per ) How To Make Concentrated Cannabis Oil
The Magical Butter Machine has a cut-off switch, so more solvent is presence than normal. It will easily evaporate off during the decarb procedure. I start off at 180d and work my way up in 5 min. increments to 230-250d. never exceeding 250d. Ambient temperature plays a big role in the completion time. The double boiler method for me is an average of 30 minutes. Always check visually. The alcohol burns off first then the oil might stop moving until the temp rises for a proper decarb.

Another option with the Magical Butter Machine for concentrated cannabis oil. Do your quick wash first, filter, pour into the magical butter machine. Set temp to 190, select the oil button and start. When its done, pour into a SS measuring cup (no filtering required-already done via quick-wash) do your decarb via plate warmer, or double boiler method per ) How To Make Concentrated Cannabis Oil
The Magical Butter Machine has a cut-off switch, so more solvent is presence than normal. It will easily evaporate off during the decarb procedure. I start off at 180d and work my way up in 5 min. increments to 230-250d. never exceeding 250d. Ambient temperature plays a big role in the completion time. The double boiler method for me is an average of 30 minutes. Always check visually. The alcohol burns off first then the oil might stop moving until the temp rises for a proper decarb.

I don't know about alcohol saturation and decarbing... But if it's like cooking into lipids, you want to decarb before putting them together. Decarboxylation (from what I've read) will not take place after it's cooked into fats. Or perhaps not to the same degree. Either way, just from trying it out you will see the difference.

It's different I assume if your eliminating your solvent, then the cannabinoids are free to do whatever. But who knows, I don't like dealing with "hash oil"... Personally. I'm investing in bubble bags, and will be making my medicine from that... Making a few tinctures (for crohn's flare ups) and mainly medicated cooking oil put into capsules.. Any extra will be used to experiment with some 'solid' hash processing techniques. Gotta take care of health first, then make some really fine smokable for winding down in the evening.

Sorry to get off topic... I love the butter maker, easiest way to do large batches of medicated butter or cooking oils.... I've never tried it with anything else. Though it sounds like you have! Personally, I like your method for the oil... But what made you choose it over a butane extraction? Maybe I'll give oil another try with your method.

Once I have a successful harvest or two, I'll join you and the other cool kids making neat threads on how to make meds :)

Ps! Sorry if this is incoherent, I'm logging off now. Way to tired!

Many ways to do things when making concentrates, tinctures, etc. Butane extraction is a cold extract process, which isn't decarboxylated, which means the cannabinoids doesn't pass through the brain because the THCa hasn't been converted to THC (as well as other cannabinoids). So for my med requirements (gum method, it doesn't work), hence no butane extract.

When the Magical Butter Machine first came out I wanted one for a friend with Parkinson's so he could easily make his meds. Seemed like there was some confusion on the method of concentrated oil. So the method I mentioned above was an easy resolve and works for the concentrated. Just needed the quick-wash first which has been filtered, removing the fats, etc., before pouring into the Magical Butter Machine and the decarb done as the final step. Puts out an excellent concentrate.

Do you suffer from Crohn's, anxiety and pain? If so, when your ready to try some concentrated oil, applied the correct way its a world beater for medicinal purpose's. I've smoked, vaped, edibles, digested and everything in between. In fact, there is nothing that I've seen or tried that gives a wellness/heal/cure that comes close to the concentrated oil.

Only reason I mention this is people who do suffer from many different aliments there is not a better med pack available that heals like cannabis concentrated oil. So I often mention the concentrated oil as an option to get healthy.

Well my friend, its been quite some time I was mentioned in the same sentence 'other cool kids'. Think that was about 50 years ago, lol.

I don't know about alcohol saturation and decarbing... But if it's like cooking into lipids, you want to decarb before putting them together. Decarboxylation (from what I've read) will not take place after it's cooked into fats. Or perhaps not to the same degree. Either way, just from trying it out you will see the difference.

It's different I assume if your eliminating your solvent, then the cannabinoids are free to do whatever. But who knows, I don't like dealing with "hash oil"... Personally. I'm investing in bubble bags, and will be making my medicine from that... Making a few tinctures (for crohn's flare ups) and mainly medicated cooking oil put into capsules.. Any extra will be used to experiment with some 'solid' hash processing techniques. Gotta take care of health first, then make some really fine smokable for winding down in the evening.

Sorry to get off topic... I love the butter maker, easiest way to do large batches of medicated butter or cooking oils.... I've never tried it with anything else. Though it sounds like you have! Personally, I like your method for the oil... But what made you choose it over a butane extraction? Maybe I'll give oil another try with your method.

Once I have a successful harvest or two, I'll join you and the other cool kids making neat threads on how to make meds :)

Ps! Sorry if this is incoherent, I'm logging off now. Way to tired!

Back
Top Bottom