MM for Autoimmune Disease, Thyroiditis

pugmug

Hi there! I've had autoimmune thyroiditis (hypoactive, also called Hashimoto's) since adolescence, and have since picked up a few other autoimmune conditions since. Curious if any of you know from experience, or could suggest resources—books, articles, experts or organizations I can contact directly—specifically on cannabis and autoimmunity and/or thyroid function. Some questions:

1. Which compounds/strains (if any) are known to actually slow or reverse autoimmune conditions by reducing autoimmunity in the body? (Not just palliative bullshit addressing symptoms like nausea, pain, etc.)

2. Which affect thyroid function? How does this actually work?

3. Is this different for hypothyroidism vs hyperthyroidism?

4. Is it possible that one strain might be helpful for some conditions, and the other harmful? Or is there a positive net effect regardless? Ex: could indica actually worsen hypothyroidism?

I seem to feel better overall when vaping sativas. More energetic, less physical soreness/aches, feel more well rested in the morning (although the sativas don't actually help you fall asleep). When I smoke or vape indica, I tend to get cold and tired...a feeling those of us with hypothyroidism and other conditions are very used to!

Does anyone know of any articles/resources/actual studies describing the physical/functional effects of the different compounds/strains in a medical context? Specifically regarding autoimmune disease or thyroid function would be ideal, but I'll take anything related to organ function or cellular level stuff.

I'm familiar with the really basic stuff like which is better for nausea, pain, insomnia, seizures, etc. I don't need descriptions of the difference in high, because...duh. I've been friends with Mary for more than 15 years now. Wouldn't waste others' time if I hadn't done my research first.

Really appreciate any help or direction. Even if you personally have looked into this without success, that's still helpful to know. Thank you!

I know that this post is a couple of years old but thought I'd add to the request. A sibling of mine has a diagnosis of multiple autoimmune syndrome (MAS). It involves RA, lupus and at least one other along with a thyroid issue. I'll continue looking for the information in the stacks if need be.

Back
Top Bottom