Need Suggestions

Hey friend ;). I put this same question out there once on my last journal. The two recommendations I remember were Purple Trainwreck and Thc Bomb, as well as some of the other Bomb strains. I still haven't acted on that advice.
But I can guarantee that Sweetsue would have some good recommendations, she's been putting quite a bit of research into this very question. I'll drop her a line.

What are some good strains that work for both insomnia and pain relief?

Are these for you HashOnlyGirl? I ask because you have to take anxiety into consideration too. That means you should probably go for an indica strain instead of a sativa, unless you already know you can tolerate the sativas.

I don't have a list in front of me, but I'll certainly do some digging around over the next day or so and see what I can turn up.

HashOnlyGirl, go to Leafly, pull up their "Explore Marijuana Strains" and choose the block under Moods & Activities for "Good Night Sleep". That choice takes you to a page that lists all the strains they suggest for sleep meds. I'd bet my life every one also works for pain. I checked about six or so while I was there and every one was effective for both.

Granddaddy Purple, Northern Lights, Blueberry, ..... The list is extensive.

Cajun recently shared his list of favorite sleep meds with me. Let me share them with you.

Blue Cheese
Master Kush
Most OG's
Kosher Kush
Dark Star
Blackberry Kush
Black Domina

Thanks for coming along Sue. Strains to help sleep and reduce pain have been on my mind for quite a while now. I almost went with a Kush and some high CBD strains for my POTM seed winnings- but got diverted somehow into other directions, after immense headscratching over what to order.
This might be a good place to display my complete ignorance in this area and ask you a question or two.
Cannabis for pain- it still doesn't quite compute for me. Maybe it's because I stick to sativas mainly, and shy away for those Kushy strains that usually make me feel less than healthy mentally. And I have never yet crossed paths with a high CBD strain either.
Where does the anti-pain magic dwell? Is it in the CBD? If I crush my thumb with a hammer can I smoke a joint of something high CBD and hope to feel better? Or is it 'non-euphoric' cannabis oils that I should be looking into when it comes to pain reduction? I can say that cannabis has reduced my mental pain. I can also say that cannabis has caused me mental pain. But reduced physical pain? For me it's still an area shrouded in mystery.

It floored me how effectively CBD strains reduce pain associated with inflammation. The Med GOM 1.0 is projected to be a ratio of 2:1 CBD:THC. I get no buzz from it at all. What I do get is instantaneous relief from pain. First hit the pain diminishes by at least 50%. Second hit we're down to only 10% pain. Third hit kicks it out entirely and keeps it at bay for hours.

These are my notoriously teeny-tiny hits, mind you.

It's not the CBD in isolation. Cannabis is a plant that works with greatest effect when you include the whole plant. The synergy created by the 'entourage effect ', the interplay of all the components, increases the effect of each. To be most effective you need CBD and THC. It's figuring out the ratios that's your challenge, and since each body responds in its own individual way, it's going to have to be through trial and error.

I made some CBD capsules. I take two a day right now, but I'll be increasing that to three and then to four if necessary. I'm thinking the CBD works to heal inflammation. Psoriasis is an inflammatory disease. I have an inkling there might be some benefit to trying to heal the scalp psoriasis from the inside out.

The capsules make it so easy to dose with the CBD strains. Smoking or vaping them is so unsatisfying. Lol! One expects to get high when you smoke or vape, and although the pain relief is a tremendous bonus, you're left feeling there's something missing. :laughtwo:

For breakthrough pain I recommend vaping a strain with at least a 1:1, if not a 2:1 or better CBD:THC ratio. For chronic pain I suggest you explore using capsules on a schedule to keep a constant supply of cannabinoids on the job. There's a list of different types of pain and the choice of strains and/or ratios most beneficial against each in the dosing thread.

When you're dosing medicinally it's always a good idea to increase bioavailability with at least some minor steps to include competitive inhibition. Keep the liver enzymes busy so more cannabinoids get through back into the system.

Thanks, Sue! As usual, you're being an awesome friend! Yeah, they're for me.

As you know this whole sativa/indica thc/cbd thing is confusing to me so I don't know what I might or might not be sensitive to. The sativas I know I like include Jack Herer (vaped it for the first time tonight) - it's got almost 24% THC and less than .07% CBD and I definitely feel high.

I also love Alaskan Thunder F*ck but I don't have the deets on it as it was pre-MMJ. And, I love my hash, which feels like a sativa to me.

Are these for you HashOnlyGirl? I ask because you have to take anxiety into consideration too. That means you should probably go for an indica strain instead of a sativa, unless you already know you can tolerate the sativas.

I don't have a list in front of me, but I'll certainly do some digging around over the next day or so and see what I can turn up.

Thanks, Lady, you ROCK!

HashOnlyGirl, go to Leafly, pull up their "Explore Marijuana Strains" and choose the block under Moods & Activities for "Good Night Sleep". That choice takes you to a page that lists all the strains they suggest for sleep meds. I'd bet my life every one also works for pain. I checked about six or so while I was there and every one was effective for both.

Granddaddy Purple, Northern Lights, Blueberry, ..... The list is extensive.

Cajun recently shared his list of favorite sleep meds with me. Let me share them with you.

Blue Cheese
Master Kush
Most OG's
Kosher Kush
Dark Star
Blackberry Kush
Black Domina

Hey friend. I'm with you on the whole mystery of using pot to treat pain. It's so out there but just this week, I vaped Boaty McBoatface, which is a sativa with 11.7% CBD and 3.92% THC and I kid you not, within a minute of vaping it (3 or 4 hits), the pain in my left knee totally vanished. That is totally unheard of in my books. Even Tylenol for Arthritis doesn't work that quickly or well. So, I'm totally sold on the whole MMJ for pain thing now. When I signed up for this, it was more for my anxiety and insomnia that I was thinking about using it. It's like the bonus cherry on top of your sundae. Way cool!

Thanks for coming along Sue. Strains to help sleep and reduce pain have been on my mind for quite a while now. I almost went with a Kush and some high CBD strains for my POTM seed winnings- but got diverted somehow into other directions, after immense headscratching over what to order.
This might be a good place to display my complete ignorance in this area and ask you a question or two.
Cannabis for pain- it still doesn't quite compute for me. Maybe it's because I stick to sativas mainly, and shy away for those Kushy strains that usually make me feel less than healthy mentally. And I have never yet crossed paths with a high CBD strain either.
Where does the anti-pain magic dwell? Is it in the CBD? If I crush my thumb with a hammer can I smoke a joint of something high CBD and hope to feel better? Or is it 'non-euphoric' cannabis oils that I should be looking into when it comes to pain reduction? I can say that cannabis has reduced my mental pain. I can also say that cannabis has caused me mental pain. But reduced physical pain? For me it's still an area shrouded in mystery.

I watched this happen with my daughter. She took a fall down a flight of steps a decade ago, and has lived with pain in her back and hip ever since. She thought she'd simply have to learn to live with it. One hit of the Med GOM 1.0 and the pain diminished, three hits and it was gone. She was stunned.

I've had the same reaction to upper back pain of a muscle out of track. Three hits and no more pain for hours. Actually, since I started taking five CBD capsules a day I have no more pain or stiffness at all. Makes this 62-year old woman feel like she's growing younger.

The Med GOM 1.0 is a 2:1 ratio CBD:THC. The capsules that're doing the job are an olive oil extraction of CBD Critical Cure, at a 1:1 and potentially up to 2:1, like the Med GOM 1.0. I grew my Critical Cure in Doc Bud's kit soil, so I may have come in closer to the higher CBD levels.

I'm glad to hear the CBD strains are working for you HashOnlyGirl. Welcome to the new world of pain management. I have a friend in Oregon with constant pain from numerous injuries, and his pain doctor believes there's no evidence to support cannabis as a pain medication. The man lives in a legal state and hasn't bothered to educate himself in the truth of cannabis efficacy. How sad is that? Thankfully, my wounded friend took matters into his own hands and weaned himself off the dangerous prescription drugs and went straight to cannabis.

I'll be glad when there comes a time where the doctors know more than we do.

Back
Top Bottom