Cannabis and The Bipolar Patient

AllDayReefer3

I was wondering does anyone know the effects of cannabis for someone who is bipolar because the medicine the doctors prescribe dont work and doctors keep telling me it wont work as long as i continue to smoke but i dont believe them i seem to feel better when im smoking and worse when i take the meds. im prescribed is this normal?

They don't want you to feel good. You wouldn't complain to the doctor about feeling good, would you?
You wouldn't want to buy expensive pills if you felt good. You wouldn't revisit the doctor and pay his bill so often if you felt good.
Their entire industry suffers loss of profit if we feel good.
I smoke MMJ every day, and I feel good, mostly. :peace:

The doc is saying the pills won’t work if you are tacking Marijuana, but to be true it is in a class of its own. Some drugs and heavy drinking can effect the psychiatric medications what happens is your body speeds up to get the drugs or alcohol out of your system. So if you are on mood stabilizer medications and abusing drugs and or alcohol your body is going to metabolize the medication faster then normal. To be on the safe side don’t over drink and don’t over take drugs like opiates, benzodiazepines, (xanax) or any controlled drug.

The Use of Cannabis as a Mood Stabilizer in Bipolar Disorder.study on One woman found that cannabis curbed her manicrages; she and her husband have worked to make it legally available as amedicine. Others described the use of cannabis as a supplement to lithium or for relief of lithium's side effects.Another case illustrates the fact that medical cannabis users are in dangerof arrest, especially when children are encouraged to inform on parents bysome drug prevention programs.

I was wondering does anyone know the effects of cannabis for someone who is bipolar because the medicine the doctors prescribe dont work and doctors keep telling me it wont work as long as i continue to smoke but i dont believe them i seem to feel better when im smoking and worse when i take the meds. im prescribed is this normal?

Ok cool.. something I happen to know about here... OK.. First im going to start with 'normal'.... what is 'normal' for one person, may not be normal for another..you can only go by what is 'normal' TO YOU.

2nd.. I cant really give TOO much information considering I dont know what meds they have/had you on.. anti-depressants? mood stabilizers? I dont know what form of Bipolar you have (since they've now put this 'blanket term' of Bipolar on such a WIDE range of disorders from depression to psychosis..by the way HUGE MONSTER DIFFERENCE between depression and a psychotic illness) SO... with that in mind..I am MORE than happy to help..I would just need more info in order to answer your question properly. :smokin:

I'm mildly bi-polar and it's been a great help to me also. So, really it's do you think it helps you. That's the main concern.

zhummingsig.jpg

I am a bipolar male who has been treated with medication for over seven years. I also smoke MJJ to kill the side effects of the drugs, and to help treat extreme mania when it strikes. I know that without the use of MJJ I would be unable to take the drugs due to extreme migraines, nausea, and not being able to eat. My doctors have even advised me that smoking my joints will not kill me, if they help then keep doing what I am doing. Drinking is what really screws with someone who is bipolar, and trying to take medication. In fact it can kill you if you mix the right cocktail with the right pill. I seem to get the best out of both worlds... I can catch a buzz, watch a movie instead of spending up a whole paycheck due to mania vs being in the ER with headaches, and dehydration from the drugs. I stay pretty normal :) :nicethread:

I have a minor degree in psychology and I've studied bi-polarity in college. It seemed to me that they had no idea what to do for bi-polar patients even though they were willing to try anything. I don't think marijuana is something that could negatively affect a bi-polar person. If it feels good, then do it.

I am a bipolar male who has been treated with medication for over seven years. I also smoke MJJ to kill the side effects of the drugs, and to help treat extreme mania when it strikes. I know that without the use of MJJ I would be unable to take the drugs due to extreme migraines, nausea, and not being able to eat. My doctors have even advised me that smoking my joints will not kill me, if they help then keep doing what I am doing. Drinking is what really screws with someone who is bipolar, and trying to take medication. In fact it can kill you if you mix the right cocktail with the right pill. I seem to get the best out of both worlds... I can catch a buzz, watch a movie instead of spending up a whole paycheck due to mania vs being in the ER with headaches, and dehydration from the drugs. I stay pretty normal :) :nicethread:

I agree, alcohol and speed-type drugs would both be very bad for a bipolar person.

I agree if it feels good then do it, but they have come a long way in the study, and treatment of Bipolar. I agree most of us are treated like lab rats, but the people who can afford the good drugs do see a difference like me, it is just the side effects that suck! Happy 420 to you ALL- :peace:

Yeah... the last thing you want is to have a few too many cocktails with Seroquel, Lamictal, Topamax, along with Valium... You might not wake up, and if you do... You will remember it because it makes you SICK!

So I've been thinking about this awhile now, as I've ran out of meds, and what it does for me is level's me out. I've also noticed using Indica oriented strains do a better job too, you just have to find the right blend for you. For the extremes I like to go with my ATF to pretty much sedate me and allow me to chill, while going on the daily control Arcata Trainwreck and other mostly Sativa's do the job. Also, the vaporizers such as the Volcano don't do the trick for me when it come's to bipolar symptoms, I conclude the CBD is a good help, so burn a bowl next time your going through one of the time's.
:rollit:

zhummingsig.jpg

Levels me right out brodie.

I think you need to be careful. My partner is biopolar type 2. There are many antipsychotic medications that can not be taken with cannabis. The reactions can inflict brain damage and fatal heart damage. One of the medications is Risperidone or Risperdal. You can however take mood stabalizers and antidepresents with cannabis and have less or no side affects. It just depends on the drug your are prescribed. I think a lot more research needs to be done on Bipolar as well as cannabis. Just my two cents :grinjoint:

Im bi polar and weed is the greatest help as I have self medicated for last 25 years. Weed is my god sent. I tell all the docs that and always have. Indica, sativa, depression,mania, that and my volcano are what makes life so great. Bi polar is an advantage LOL. Sometimes. :tokin:

it really is a great plant there so much we dont know yet i think in the last 10 maybe 15 years that there has been real good studys on compounds of this wonder plant last i heard there was 300 something compounds from precurser to thc so who knows whats to come

Back
Top Bottom