Pot good for depression

RedBeard4u

Cannabinoids in bipolar affective disorder: a review and discussion of their therapeutic potential.
Ashton CH, Moore PB, Gallagher P, Young AH.

Department of Psychiatry, University of Newcastle upon Tyne, Royal Victoria Infirmary, Newcastle upon Tyne, UK. c.h.ashton@ncl.ac.uk

Abstract
Bipolar affective disorder is often poorly controlled by prescribed drugs. Cannabis use is common in patients with this disorder and anecdotal reports suggest that some patients take it to alleviate symptoms of both mania and depression. We undertook a literature review of cannabis use by patients with bipolar disorder and of the neuropharmacological properties of cannabinoids suggesting possible therapeutic effects in this condition. No systematic studies of cannabinoids in bipolar disorder were found to exist, although some patients claim that cannabis relieves symptoms of mania and/or depression. The cannabinoids Delta(9)-tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) and cannabidiol (CBD) may exert sedative, hypnotic, anxiolytic, antidepressant, antipsychotic and anticonvulsant effects. Pure synthetic cannabinoids, such as dronabinol and nabilone and specific plant extracts containing THC, CBD, or a mixture of the two in known concentrations, are available and can be delivered sublingually. Controlled trials of these cannabinoids as adjunctive medication in bipolar disorder are now indicated.

:peace::nicethread:

I have been self-medicating with cannabis to treat Major Depression for many years. It is reassuring to have science confirm things we know are right.
The more research done into the endocannabinoid system and it's functions can only be a good thing.:thumb::peace:

i would say the exact opposite of this:

as someone who went through a bout of depression, i found that marijuana only made you "ok" with the depression. Chronic MJ usage depletes serotonin to the point where you dont really have too many highs or lows, so to that end i could see this helping.

If you're in a depressive funk, get outdoors and live life. It may sound stupid or hard headed but i went through it myself. Quit smoking because you are just masking symptoms that can be made infinitely better by simple things such as getting sun, exercising and eating well.

worked for me.

i would say the exact opposite of this:

as someone who went through a bout of depression, i found that marijuana only made you "ok" with the depression. Chronic MJ usage depletes serotonin to the point where you dont really have too many highs or lows, so to that end i could see this helping.

If you're in a depressive funk, get outdoors and live life. It may sound stupid or hard headed but i went through it myself. Quit smoking because you are just masking symptoms that can be made infinitely better by simple things such as getting sun, exercising and eating well.

worked for me.

I can appreciate your opinion and experiences, however, I am not ok with depression, the side effects of many the traditional medications used to treat Depression, PTSD, D-Polar Disorder and a many meriad of other mental disorders can be very debilitating and can be more distructive than the disorder itself.
For me personnaly, if I smoke a fatty and venture out into the world all is good. If I am only on my "pre-scribed medications" and venture out into the world, well lets just say I can be very un-pleasant. I do agree that inactivity is a cause and a symptom of depression, but is it better to be an active asshole or an active stoner? :thumb:

Chronic MJ usage depletes serotonin
Yo blue! Who you been listening to? Gil KerlyKue and his crew?
If you can quote a credible source, I'll listen to you.

You like to run outdoorsy like; that's cool
You don't use weed no more? Up to you
But come 'round here advising, no more imbibing
I'm glad you ain't my doc, nuts to you!

I hesitate to say I have depression as I haven't been diagnosed in any way. But I do consider my smoking as self medicating. I can easily slip into the well and have not been able to get out before. Smoking this medicinal and sacred plant has helped me greatly.

And I am aware of several other people who feel much the same way as I do. I fully support the on-going fight for the legalization of medical marijuana. A fight that we are finally beginning to win.

Not having a diagnosis of Depression or any other MEDICAL condition doesn't remove the reality of the symptoms.

I fully support the on-going fight for the legalization of medical marijuana. A fight that we are finally beginning to win.

Amen Brother

I've tried numerous drugs for diagnosed depression, anxiety, etc... All they ever did was give me side effects & make me bitchier. I mean, honestly a side effect of one of them was "may cause moodiness." WHAT? Isn't that what I DON'T want? LOL

I started with pot not even a year ago and I'm pretty sure that's the only reason my other half comes home at night - b/c I'm FINALLY in a good mood regularly!

I am a sufferer of depression, and the prescribed sertraline honestly does nothing for me. It may decrease the frequency of severe pangs of depression (slightly) but it does not improve my mood overall. Marijuana does.

Don't be so hard on JapaneseBlue,there's merit to what he says.

I've suffered from major depression my entire adult life. The first time it hit me I self medicated dusk to dawn w/ weed for roughly a year and a half. Initially it worked,but the mood swings the sativas of the day produced,nearly landed me in the hospital w/ raging paranoia and suicidal thoughts. I got some therapy,laid off the weed,and basically followed the path JB recommended. I was much better in a few months.

I use weed for short-term minor depression,but for more serious depression I back my usage way down. You guys may be different, but everyone's brain chemistry varies. With me weed causes me to avoid dealing with the stress in my life that need to be hit head on to lift my depression.

Bob,sertraline and weed don't mix well for me. Combined they leave me feeling real weird. Prozac seems to work well w/ weed,but as I said above,all of our brains function slightly differently on these drugs.

We all need to be very careful when self-medicating for a disease that can cause us to want put a bullet in our brain.

I was diagnosed with Depression when I was young. I was supposed to be on Prozac, but it didn't seem to help. I never found anything that has worked better than Cannabis. It definitely suppresses it, but isn't always foolproof. All in all, a better medication than Xanax or Valium.

Back
Top Bottom