MMJ for depression and anxiety

medatitus

Hey guys, so I'm looking to include responsible use of medical Cannabis in a wholistic approach including therapy and exercise and plenty of sobriety inbetween the medical use. When I get depressed cannabis has been able to pull me up (after I smoke like .2 of a gram) for a day and help me feel more positive.
The problem is I have a really addictive personality and the cannabis that I've used has hit me like euphoria.
I buy from non medical sources so I can't verify the strains. The first I've been told is "Platinum Blue Dream" and the second is some kind of mellow pine type strain.
I like the Euphoria but after I come down I have mad cravings for the herb for a week if I don't smoke.
Do any of you kind folks have any experience with strain that can be less craving inducing but help with the depression? Or maybe even a mode of ingestion that causes less cravings.
Has anybody experienced this?
Much appreciation

Hi medatitus and welcome to :420:
I also suffer from depression and anxiety and smoke mmj for the relief I need to go on to be a productive husband and father. So I have to use it responsibly most of the time in my schedule.
I havent smoked many named varieties but have been growing my own meds and Ive used a sativa dominant Jack Herer strain that does motivate me with energy and an upbeat feeling. I believe sativa dominant strains are good for depression but I have to use it during the day and go with a more indica strain at night to help slow my mind down to be able to sleep.
I dont really feel I have an addictive personality but do smoke daily sorta on a consistent schedule such as you would be taking a perscribed pill.
My tolerance has been built with this way of dosing that when I come down I am allright even for a few days in certain situations. Cravings I could only say would be to feel that better way we do more consistant but responsible.
Latley I have been foloowing these threads on making cannabis oil and the proper way to take it where the euphoria is not there if taken correctly.It is the best way to beat cancer and many other health issues as well as a preventitive measure for good health.
Cannabis Oil Cure for Cancer - How Rick Simpson Makes Medicine
This has just been read by me and not yet tried.I hope to attempt oil making and then the tacking of it with my next harvest this October
Best wishes on your situation Bro

My wife is a fellow sufferer and we use the tacking method referenced in the link that closetorganic shared above in the daytime and she smokes a little indica before bed and it's been working quite well for her.

Addictive personality? You will love the concentrate. It is a gateway drug to 'feeling healthy' and no joke. As long as you have a daytime and nighttime as budnoob mentioned its a one two combo that is second to none for wellness. Sativa dominant for depression especially on the concentrate, its howdy ose amigo's. How? Its hard to be depressed when the wheels are turning fast. Same with PTSD. Get healthy.

Hey guys, so I'm looking to include responsible use of medical Cannabis in a wholistic approach including therapy and exercise and plenty of sobriety inbetween the medical use. When I get depressed cannabis has been able to pull me up (after I smoke like .2 of a gram) for a day and help me feel more positive.
The problem is I have a really addictive personality and the cannabis that I've used has hit me like euphoria.
I buy from non medical sources so I can't verify the strains. The first I've been told is "Platinum Blue Dream" and the second is some kind of mellow pine type strain.
I like the Euphoria but after I come down I have mad cravings for the herb for a week if I don't smoke.
Do any of you kind folks have any experience with strain that can be less craving inducing but help with the depression? Or maybe even a mode of ingestion that causes less cravings.
Has anybody experienced this?
Much appreciation

Addictive personality? You will love the concentrate. It is a gateway drug to 'feeling healthy' and no joke. As long as you have a daytime and nighttime as budnoob mentioned its a one two combo that is second to none for wellness. Sativa dominant for depression especially on the concentrate, its howdy ose amigo's. How? Its hard to be depressed when the wheels are turning fast. Same with PTSD. Get healthy.

Taking concentrates enabled me to overcome long-term addictions to paxil, adderall, opiates and gambling – my gateway to feeling healthy.

Hahaha, yep, gateway drug to being healthy. Not what others are saying :), you know, the experts, lol.

Taking concentrates enabled me to overcome long-term addictions to paxil, adderall, opiates and gambling — my gateway to feeling healthy.

Hi gemstone,

My meds where blood pressure, cholesterol meds and plavix and also gambling. Funny how the oil makes you focus on living better, health wise and upstairs with thought processing. You let go of the nonproductive things in life and turn them into positive. I've mentioned many times how the concentrate makes you a better person. Amazing how the cannabis concentrated oil does it all.

Taking concentrates enabled me to overcome long-term addictions to paxil, adderall, opiates and gambling — my gateway to feeling healthy.

Man... Thanks to medatitus and everybody for posting. :thumb: I'm hoping this thread gets going... there's lots of stuff here. So I thought I could offer a few comments.

My brief story, so u know I know where u coming from! Long standing depression (age 4), diagnosis with MDD (Major Depressive Disorder) age 7, anxiety for as long as I can remember. MDD again in my 20s, Bipolar Disorder (BD) at 27, 34 now. Been one hell of a ride...

2 1/2 yrs ago I started taking Cannabis seriously as a *medicine* for my depression and anxiety, and it took me 2 years to realize it works pretty darn good for major depression. (Major depression, btw way is a sustained period of time (I believe 2-3 months) of continous, qualifying depression.)

Yeah, I would have ups and downs with Cannabis, but I'm talking no suicidal ideation or planning, no hospitalizations, no jail (lol, but not really), and no major drop outs of life.

Come the end of the two year period where I was needing and taking Cannabis (smoked flower and concentrates mostly, edibles from time to time) and figuring out that if I was conscious, if I was mindful of how I was taking, then it functioned very well as treatment for anxiety, too. But I had to be careful.

Sometimes, I would get really paranoid and stuff. Wasn't fun, I hated it, but still was pretty good at riding the wave, and got thru it eventually every time and not calling the cops complaining I was, "too high." Thank doG.

But, my story also includes BP at 27 as I mentioned, so it involves other stuff like mania, too. I've got another thread running if anybody comes along and wants to participate. Mood Disorders for Newbies

My prompt for discussion would be to just dive in a bit... What I've found is that there are a few tricks to the trade. Anybody wanna tip their hand?

I'll go first. Movies. Does anybody have experience with that or other ways to just plain calm the F down?

Thanks again to the OP and y'all.

:peace:

Hi bdubs,

Remember, no matter where you go there we are, hahaha. The 'oil' crew at 420 will pipe-in. You will find kind sir that just about any aliment there is the concentrate will manage/heal naturally and safely. When I first came to 420 and looked at all the aliments listed in MJJ and scientific data I was overwhelmed for a couple of seconds, then, went to work spreading awareness. I've gotten some pretty mixed reviews to say the least. I keep pressing on with the message 'cannabis concentrated oil'. Why? If you knew what the people know that uses the concentrate and didn't share with the world to me it would be a sin.

With all your aliments Brother, your priority in life above all else is to get the oil and get healthy. You will be amazed how soon you will start feeling better, turn your life around and move forward.

Best regards

Man... Thanks to medatitus and everybody for posting. :thumb: I'm hoping this thread gets going... there's lots of stuff here. So I thought I could offer a few comments.

My brief story, so u know I know where u coming from! Long standing depression (age 4), diagnosis with MDD (Major Depressive Disorder) age 7, anxiety for as long as I can remember. MDD again in my 20s, Bipolar Disorder (BD) at 27, 34 now. Been one hell of a ride...

2 1/2 yrs ago I started taking Cannabis seriously as a *medicine* for my depression and anxiety, and it took me 2 years to realize it works pretty darn good for major depression. (Major depression, btw way is a sustained period of time (I believe 2-3 months) of continous, qualifying depression.)

Yeah, I would have ups and downs with Cannabis, but I'm talking no suicidal ideation or planning, no hospitalizations, no jail (lol, but not really), and no major drop outs of life.

Come the end of the two year period where I was needing and taking Cannabis (smoked flower and concentrates mostly, edibles from time to time) and figuring out that if I was conscious, if I was mindful of how I was taking, then it functioned very well as treatment for anxiety, too. But I had to be careful.

Sometimes, I would get really paranoid and stuff. Wasn't fun, I hated it, but still was pretty good at riding the wave, and got thru it eventually every time and not calling the cops complaining I was, "too high." Thank doG.

But, my story also includes BP at 27 as I mentioned, so it involves other stuff like mania, too. I've got another thread running if anybody comes along and wants to participate. Mood Disorders for Newbies

My prompt for discussion would be to just dive in a bit... What I've found is that there are a few tricks to the trade. Anybody wanna tip their hand?

I'll go first. Movies. Does anybody have experience with that or other ways to just plain calm the F down?

Thanks again to the OP and y'all.

He tips his hand!!! :yahoo:

( :wood: )

...oh wait, no he doesn't... :nomo:

lol... yeah Motoco i'm down for making the oil this morning. i've really enjoyed the GSC we were talking about but it's time to put it into play with the big boys.

GSC, or Girl Scout Cookies, works really well for my anxiety as smoked flower. the nuance here is that the anxiety i was facing yesterday thinking about this was coming from being tired.

being tired causes me anxiety. particularly when i'm depressed and tired and know i just need to shut it down for a bit.

will update on how the oil does. i don't have much depression these days thank god, but i get pretty intense anxiety from time to time, situation specific, and have ongoing social anxieties that cause me problems weekly.

like i said, even with the best oil in the world, i'm pretty sure i've L/Earned my anxiety so well that it will be a flinch reaction for some time, if you get me.

Hi bdubs,

Remember, no matter where you go there we are, hahaha. The 'oil' crew at 420 will pipe-in. You will find kind sir that just about any aliment there is the concentrate will manage/heal naturally and safely. When I first came to 420 and looked at all the aliments listed in MJJ and scientific data I was overwhelmed for a couple of seconds, then, went to work spreading awareness. I've gotten some pretty mixed reviews to say the least. I keep pressing on with the message 'cannabis concentrated oil'. Why? If you knew what the people know that uses the concentrate and didn't share with the world to me it would be a sin.

With all your aliments Brother, your priority in life above all else is to get the oil and get healthy. You will be amazed how soon you will start feeling better, turn your life around and move forward.

Best regards

I have suffered from post natal depression for almost 3 years and cannabis was my lifeline. It helped me function, to put aside the negative feelings I was consumed by. I truly believe it would have been a lot worse without smoking and eating. I prefer a dominant indica as it helped still and calm my mind.

I have suffered from post natal depression for almost 3 years and cannabis was my lifeline. It helped me function, to put aside the negative feelings I was consumed by. I truly believe it would have been a lot worse without smoking and eating. I prefer a dominant indica as it helped still and calm my mind.

Hi mrs mono,

Depression is a bad one to be sure. Depression treated with cannabis oil is best treated with a Sativa dominant concentrated oil. It works best (my experience) with 'gum absorption/tacking method. Depression keeps you on the couch because even if you know you need to do something you just cannot do it. A Sativa dominant concentrate gets you off the couch and breaks up your depression with an active mind and you want to do something. It works tremendously for depression. Mix in a close to pure Indica you can for a nighttime oil and you get the full benefits of both strains. For depression though you never want to take more nighttime than daytime as this would cause an imbalance of Sativa you need for your depression. If you need any direction please let us know. Welcome to 420 Magazine!

Cheers

I totally agree with 420 Motoco on that- though it seems like all people have different needs. I personally get quite depressed smoking indicas except very moderately, because I like to be active and to be able to think clearly. When I get in a cloudy mental state I feel stuck, and start to beat myself up over it for some reason. Usually the only solution that comes to mind then is to- smoke more! Lol.... The other thing- moderation and proper use can take a lifetime or several to master- so pay attention to what your mind and body is telling you- not anyone else. I used to copycat my chronic friends but it never worked. Strong sativas can be too much and lead to paranoia and restlessness as well. Different ingestion methods give a different effect. It's not you going crazy- its the art of learning proper usage, I wish I'd figured that out when I was younger, I could have saved myself a lot of grief!

Hi mrs mono,

Depression is a bad one to be sure. Depression treated with cannabis oil is best treated with a Sativa dominant concentrated oil. It works best (my experience) with 'gum absorption/tacking method. Depression keeps you on the couch because even if you know you need to do something you just cannot do it. A Sativa dominant concentrate gets you off the couch and breaks up your depression with an active mind and you want to do something. It works tremendously for depression. Mix in a close to pure Indica you can for a nighttime oil and you get the full benefits of both strains. For depression though you never want to take more nighttime than daytime as this would cause an imbalance of Sativa you need for your depression. If you need any direction please let us know. Welcome to 420 Magazine!

Cheers

Thank you so much for the advice. My personal preference is for indicating dominant strains,I didn't realise that a saliva would be more beneficial during the day. Will definitely be trying your suggestions, thanks.

I totally agree with 420 Motoco on that- though it seems like all people have different needs. I personally get quite depressed smoking indicas except very moderately, because I like to be active and to be able to think clearly. When I get in a cloudy mental state I feel stuck, and start to beat myself up over it for some reason. Usually the only solution that comes to mind then is to- smoke more! Lol.... The other thing- moderation and proper use can take a lifetime or several to master- so pay attention to what your mind and body is telling you- not anyone else. I used to copycat my chronic friends but it never worked. Strong sativas can be too much and lead to paranoia and restlessness as well. Different ingestion methods give a different effect. It's not you going crazy- its the art of learning proper usage, I wish I'd figured that out when I was younger, I could have saved myself a lot of grief!

Truer words never spoken! Great read! :high-five:

I have depression, but no anxiety. I am half like dexter, feigning all my human emotions, and the other half of the time I have bad feelings only, I go through stages of frustration, anger, boredom, gluttony, headaches, insomnia and of course I am plain depressed and sometimes very sad. I can also be upbeat and peppy while still at my core being depressed, which sucks ass, because you want to enjoy that thing you like, but it seems like a bag of trash, and while your sitting there with a smile wondering what your going to do today, one by one your favourite things to do just seem uninteresting, boring, frustrating, or short lasting, and I crave relief from this.

The two joys I have in my life are my two favourite ladies, my fiancé and my cannabis. My fiancé understands me like no other, and my cannabis helps me to feel better about just about everything. My fiancé seriously kicks ass, she plays all sorts of games with me and doesn't suck, she listens to all the same music, she smokes cannabis like a pro, she won't touch rolling papers because she wants the Zong, and we share the same favourite TV show, futurama. She also just gets me, she's genuinely fascinated with my thought processes as I am hers, she's always there and almost always 2 steps ahead to make me feel better. she's the one I want to grow old and die with and that seriously helps me feel like life is worth living just to wake up next to her everyday. Cannabis only makes this easier along the way, like when I can't just lie my head down on her and forget about my worries.

Without her, my life would suck a lot more, but I don't see my future any different, I am going to grow and ingest high grade cannabis forever. Till the day die, on my death bed even, my great grandfather was buried with a bottle of his home made wine, from his home grown grapes, the last batch he ever made. Maybe one day my great grandchildren will be burying their dear old grandpa with home made Cannabis Oil, from his home grown cannabis.

Just thought I'd chime in, I've been suffering from depression my entire life. Have always found cannabis has helped me but never knew why. Finally got the diagnosis last year and got put on the meds. Just after my diagnosis I had my first panic attack, thought it might be the meds and found that if I lowered my dose the anxiety would subside but the depression would come back. Spoke to my doc about getting my medical card and ran into how the political/societies view can sometimes be a hinderance to those in need. Basically all of the docs in the clinic agreed not to prescribe, but my doc saw value in it so he gave me the go ahead.

So now I have gotten access to THC doc and a good dispensary and have explored CBD strains. prior to my diagnosis I had no idea what strains I was dealing with so I couldn't really get a grasp on what I was feeling, with a bit of knowledge i have been able to find strains that allow me to function daily. I would definitely reccomend strains higher on the CBD, not only do they work to calm my physical anxiety, but they also have lower THC levels. As a result the high is much lighter than "street kush".

I strongly think that some of my depression/anxiety is the result of a feeling of social stigma. I have always been a stoner and was married to someone who did not approve so I really had to bury that part of myself. The marriage fell apart early last year and led to my last major depression, but thankfully it also pointed me to the resources I needed to understand that I had been suffering and take back control of my life. I think if more of us embrace that it is ok to be a stoner, we can function in our daily lives just fine, we need our medication why should we be embarrassed about it?? Thank goodness for technology, as the level of sophistication at all levels has made this aspect of my life more discreet, although now I don't hide the fact that I am a stoner, ironic. Cannabis is the future of medicine but the mass of society isn't ready to accept it, it's a pretty big shift in how the world operates.

Back
Top Bottom